• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Ranger X

Varth said:
95%.
Just missing one weapon and 60 of the feathers. Didn't really stop to search for them. I also noticed I'm missing one of the capes.

Game says 23 hours, but I guess it's a lot less, since i frequently left the game running to write stuff. 18 hours seems a good estimate.

Hated the first game, hate ubisoft and his habits with a passion, but the game is pretty good.

EDIT:
Anybody got this yet?

Show your Colors (Bronze) - Wear the Auditore cape in each city.

I'm confused about wich one's referring to: is it the plain vanilla one you get at the start?

the Auditore Cape is the one you're missing right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MMaRsu said:
Imo it's quite a shame though, because I want to know more about Desmond, but I think that after a while, he himself will become an assassin and you will do missions as Desmond.

At least, that's my theory :p.
I had always thought that it would be Altair -> Eizio -> Desmond in a modern city. Like Assassin's Creed 3 would be Desmond in New York taking out the Templars. But I don't know what Ubi wants to do.

JBuccCP

It would take a really long time to climb buildings in New York City without superpowers. Hopefully they let you take the elevator.

Thought this was funny/awesome:

Advertising everywhere for this game, which is awesome to see. Is this the result of the Sony deal they signed early this year?

AC2ad.png

Impressions (2 hours in): (minor spoils)

This game is so much better than AC1. I've had more fun in 2 hours in AC2 than 10 in AC1. The funny thing is - (I just beat up to DNA 1) all I've really done is run pissant errand and fetch quests so far too. The game starts off slow: the opening Desmond section of the game is completely un-necessary especially the fighting part. The stitled cutscenes (and hearing Nolan North again) really make me wish Ubi had ND's magic; for example, Lucy's mouth looks and moves so fucking weird. Once you hit Italy, the game gets exciting. Gotta say this right off the bat: having been to Florence and Italy a few times myself, they fucking nailed it. The Duomo looks exactly like the Duomo, they nailed the sidestreets, the churches, the windows, rooftops, atmosphere period. I'm playing with Italian voices to lend even more realism to the experience. I'm not Italian so I can't speak to the quality of the VO but it sounds good enough! On the sound tip, there is a song in this game that feels ripped right out of Mass Effect - and I love it! The music is one of my favorite parts of the game so far; who's the composer again and what's his past work include? Graphics and sound on the whole are very very solid; there are minimal loading times. screen tearing and pop-in on the 360. The controls... are good. I'll say on the scale of fluid controls 1- lowest being GTA4 and 10- highest being GoW2/UC2.. I'll give AC2 a 7. It's a step up from AC1 but you spend most of the game literally holding RT and A down; the platforming similiar to UC2 and newest PoP feels too automatic sometimes. I also forget that you can just press up to climb a wall and instead hit A and jump the other way like a few have mentioned. I won't go on and on, but the story did just take a turn and got interesting and the game feels incredibly non-linear and deep compared to AC1. I can't wait to play again tonight

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
JBuccCP said:
It would take a really long time to climb buildings in New York City without superpowers. Hopefully they let you take the elevator.

Yeah everyone who says AC3 will be in the present, it's impossible. Gameplay-wise it is simply not feasible, unless you are willing to:

1- Scrap all the established gameplay features. (good luck trying to climb a 50 floor building, good)
2- Reduce the graphical quality. (having as many NPCs, + a bunch of cars, reflections all over the place, etc, is too much to keep AC's graphical quality).
3- Turn the game into another GTA clone.

I think there will definitly eventually be "Desmond stages" where you do some assassin stuff in the present, but it would have to be relatively constrained. Certainly no running around present-day Rome.

DevelopmentArrested said:

This game is so much better than AC1. I've had more fun in 2 hours in AC2 than 10 in AC1. The funny thing is - (I just beat up to DNA 1) all I've really done is run pissant errand and fetch quests so far too. The game starts off slow: the opening Desmond section of the game is completely un-necessary especially the fighting part. The stitled cutscenes (and hearing Nolan North again) really make me wish Ubi had ND's magic; for example, Lucy's mouth looks and moves so fucking weird. Once you hit Italy, the game gets exciting. Gotta say this right off the bat: having been to Florence and Italy a few times myself, they fucking nailed it. The Duomo looks exactly like the Duomo, they nailed the sidestreets, the churches, the windows, rooftops, atmosphere period. I'm playing with Italian voices to lend even more realism to the experience. I'm not Italian so I can't speak to the quality of the VO but it sounds good enough! On the sound tip, there is a song in this game that feels ripped right out of Mass Effect - and I love it! The music is one of my favorite parts of the game so far; who's the composer again and what's his past work include? Graphics and sound on the whole are very very solid; there is very minimal loading times. screen tearing and pop-in on the 360. The controls... are good. I'll say on the scale of fluid controls 1- lowest being GTA4 and 10- highest being GoW2/UC2.. I'll give AC2 a 7. It's a step up from AC1 but you spend most of the game literally holding RT and A down; the platforming similiar to UC2 and newest PoP feels too automatic sometimes. I also forget that you can just press up to climb a wall and instead hit A and jump the other way like a few have mentioned. I won't go on and on, but the story did just take a turn and got interesting and the game feels incredibly non-linear and deep compared to AC1. I can't wait to play again tonight

Music is Jesper Kyd, the composer from Hitman and AC1.

Also you don't need to hold down A once you start climbing.

iamcool388 said:
Bruce you should buy this game regardless.

I saw you playing this early yesterday you dog :D
Ill definitely give AC2 a fair shake once more impressions start hitting. So far it seems like the people that like it a lot already either loved or liked the first game. I absolutely abhorred the AC1 so if someone that had the same level of seething hatred likes it Ill check it out.

This game is so much better than AC1. I've had more fun in 2 hours in AC2 than 10 in AC1. The funny thing is - (I just beat up to DNA 1) all I've really done is run pissant errand and fetch quests so far too. The game starts off slow: the opening Desmond section of the game is completely un-necessary especially the fighting part. The stitled cutscenes (and hearing Nolan North again) really make me wish Ubi had ND's magic; for example, Lucy's mouth looks and moves so fucking weird. Once you hit Italy, the game gets exciting. Gotta say this right off the bat: having been to Florence and Italy a few times myself, they fucking nailed it. The Duomo looks exactly like the Duomo, they nailed the sidestreets, the churches, the windows, rooftops, atmosphere period. I'm playing with Italian voices to lend even more realism to the experience. I'm not Italian so I can't speak to the quality of the VO but it sounds good enough! On the sound tip, there is a song in this game that feels ripped right out of Mass Effect - and I love it! The music is one of my favorite parts of the game so far; who's the composer again and what's his past work include? Graphics and sound on the whole are very very solid; there is very minimal loading times. screen tearing and pop-in on the 360. The controls... are good. I'll say on the scale of fluid controls 1- lowest being GTA4 and 10- highest being GoW2/UC2.. I'll give AC2 a 7. It's a step up from AC1 but you spend most of the game literally holding RT and A down; the platforming similiar to UC2 and newest PoP feels too automatic sometimes. I also forget that you can just press up to climb a wall and instead hit A and jump the other way like a few have mentioned. I won't go on and on, but the story did just take a turn and got interesting and the game feels incredibly non-linear and deep compared to AC1. I can't wait to play again tonight

I might stand corrected :D

BruceLeeRoy said:
I saw you playing this early yesterday you dog :D
Ill definitely give AC2 a fair shake once more impressions start hitting. So far it seems like the people that like it a lot already either loved or liked the first game. I absolutely abhorred the AC1 so if someone that had the same level of seething hatred likes it Ill check it out.
I hated AC1.. see my impressions above. :)

Varth

Ranger X said:
the Auditore Cape is the one you're missing right now.

D'oh. Yo're not telling me I have to do all the side missions, are you? Please tell me I only have to get all the feathers to unlock it :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW <!!heavy spoiler!!>
anyone who did the mini-game thingies, you get a full video at the end of Adam and Eve or what? What happens in that video, and what is it about?
<!!heavy spoiler!!>

Varth

Ether_Snake said:
BTW <!!heavy spoiler!!>
anyone who did the mini-game thingies, you get a full video at the end of Adam and Eve or what? What happens in that video, and what is it about?
<!!heavy spoiler!!>

Yup. Even if I figured it out pretty soon, the complete versione freaked me out a little bit, I have to admit it.

HEAVY, GAMEBREAKING SPOILERS ABOUT ENDING AND SECRETS FOLLOW

In the video they are seen attempting an escape with the apple, and being caught. As far as I can tell (combining this, the codex and the ending), it means humans were bionengineered by another race who kept them in slavery via the chip implanted in them and controlled by the apple (in the codex pages, you can often see the iconography of the apple merge with the image of a microchip). They all had capabilities similar to those of the assassins (superior agility and so on), so maybe it means Templars are sons of the "controllers". Wouldn't be surprised if all this gets retconned in ACIII, since it leaves no other narrative choice than to have a sci-fi showdown that would be pretty meh to me.

I'm (hopefully) going to pick this up at launch.

In Canada, EBGames has a special on 'til the 21st to trade in 3 games and get AC2 for free. I'm trading in UFC, Halo ODST, and Far Cry 2. Just a heads up in case someone is interested.

Ranger X

Varth said:
D'oh. Yo're not telling me I have to do all the side missions, are you? Please tell me I only have to get all the feathers to unlock it :(

Do you want to know how to get the Auditore cape?

*********** Warning SPOILERS *****************

yes it's when you have all the feathers.

Remy

I'm about 90 minutes in.

The stitled cutscenes (and hearing Nolan North again) really make me wish Ubi had ND's magic; for example, Lucy's mouth looks and moves so fucking weird.

Yeah, hearing Nolan and doing all the climbing really makes me wish Ubisoft would just license the Uncharted engine off of ND. I keep getting stuck in corners or on walls and I miss the smoothness of climbing from U2.

Still having fun with the game, though. Kind of reminds me of Bully, in a good way.

I lost my shit over the "outlets" joke.

Jordan

I've seen the Ubisoft guys at events wearing a "Live By The Creed" T-shirts,

Anyone know of any official selling of these or where you can pick them up? Specifically in the UK but don't mind shipping?

Thanks.

Jordan91 said:
I've seen the Ubisoft guys at events wearing a "Live By The Creed" T-shirts,

Anyone know of any official selling of these or where you can pick them up? Specifically in the UK but don't mind shipping?

Thanks.

On there community website http://community.livebythecreed.com/, there are "missions" you do for "florins." These florins can net you some really cool stuff, however, you have to be gung-ho crazy to get anything good, and anything that is reasonably "priced" is already out of stock. Including the t-shirts.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Someone who has played most/finished the game. I need help!!!!

Is this a glitch :|

I'm not too far into the game I suppose. I'm at the part where you first talk to Mario (your uncle) about Codex pages. And he tells you to go find 4 in the Villa. I get to them but no matter what I do next to them (Y, B, Swipe, etc.) they're just shining right there, and I can't do anything. Is there something I'm supposed to do first?

Fady K

Man - after the E3 walkthrough i have been PUMPED for this! And the fact that Bloodlines comes out the same day...wow....too good...too good. I'll go through Bloodlines then II.

Ranger X

Black_Ice said:
Someone who has played most/finished the game. I need help!!!!

Is this a glitch :|

I'm not too far into the game I suppose. I'm at the part where you first talk to Mario (your uncle) about Codex pages. And he tells you to go find 4 in the Villa. I get to them but no matter what I do next to them (Y, B, Swipe, etc.) they're just shining right there, and I can't do anything. Is there something I'm supposed to do first?

Press and hold Freehand right (b button) to loot the chests. (in front and looking towards them preferably)

Nachkebia

Banned
I dont know you guys confuse me, should I trust reviews more? some of you have shitty taste :lol Most of you like uncharted 2 so I am scared :)

bumpkin

Mmmm, turns out that my reservation store is doing a midnight release for the game tomorrow (Monday) night. I am so there! :D

bumpkin said:
Mmmm, turns out that my reservation store is doing a midnight release for the game tomorrow (Monday) night. I am so there! :D

Exactly what I said when I found that out. Although, the store I reserved at is a strip mall store so I may very well be standing in the cold. Getting early that much earlier makes it all worth it though.

Anyone else have a store that isn't in a mall, how do they usually coordinate midnight releases? This store is TINY.

Just got my call from Ashley about the midnight release and the "festivities" starting at 10pm:lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Alright, just finished the game. I (or should I say Bombstrike, who played most of it) rushed through the story so I could do the review, 62% done and 16 hours (I actually have something like 20 hours of video, strangely).
One question that annoys me (spoiler of course)
Is the south part of Florence supposed to be not accessible at the end of the game? Or did I miss something? I'd hate that to be unlocked through a DLC...

Blader

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you choose to play the game in Italian with English subs, is the entire game in Italian? Or is it just the Ezio segments in Italian, with the Desmond parts still in English?

bumpkin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Exactly what I said when I found that out. Although, the store I reserved at is a strip mall store so I may very well be standing in the cold. Getting early that much earlier makes it all worth it though.

Anyone else have a store that isn't in a mall, how do they usually coordinate midnight releases? This store is TINY.

Just got my call from Ashley about the midnight release and the "festivities" starting at 10pm:lol
Thankfully my reservation store is inside an actual mall. The funny thing is they typically don't do midnight things -- nothing for Gears of War 2 or even Modern Warfare 2 -- because the mall charges GameStop some obscene fee for re-opening the mall itself. Either way I'm glad to hear they're making an exception.

Ranger X

Blader5489 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you choose to play the game in Italian with English subs, is the entire game in Italian? Or is it just the Ezio segments in Italian, with the Desmond parts still in English?

Entire game will be in Italian. Only the subtitles will be in english. It's like any game with more than one language really. It's just that as a bonus you can specify a language for the subtitles and the Italian version of the game is in every SKU instead of only the Europeen ones.

Leminnes

Banned
Ranger X said:
Entire game will be in Italian. Only the subtitles will be in english.

That would be really interesting. What about parts like letters and menus? Also, out of curiosity, why do you always put the extra period in your posts?

OmonRa

Leminnes said:
That would be really interesting. What about parts like letters and menus? Also, out of curiosity, why do you always put the extra period in your posts?

Isn't text matched either to the language of your machine and/or subtitle language?

Ranger X

Leminnes said:

I said the entire game will be Italian. Never tried a game in another language than the one you're used to? It's the same thing here but you can put a different language for the subtitles.

Leminnes

Banned
Ranger X said:
I said the entire game will be Italian. Never tried a game in another language than the one you're used to? It's the same thing here but you can put a different language for the subtitles.

Bah, that sucks. I've always wanted to play games like AC1/2, err... can't think of anything else, but basically games in different countries, where the characters speak in their native language. I'm okay with reading.

Also, you didn't answer my other question. :p

painey

so these hidden feathers.. is there a way to track them in game, or is it like the flags where if you are missing 1 then tough shit, you've got to comb the entire map to find it.

Ranger X

painey said:
so these hidden feathers.. is there a way to track them in game, or is it like the flags where if you are missing 1 then tough shit, you've got to comb the entire map to find it.

They glow from afar and you can also go check in the DNA menu to see how many you're missing, per map.

Anyone else using their Best Buy B2G1F placeholder to get this game?
Just asking to see if this will work. I have Borderlands unopened and I would much rather have this game (I'm more of a single player person).

grkazan12

planning on purchasing this on day one, and my question is: do you have to play AC1 to know what is going on in AC2 and if so is there a link or something that can help me catch up in a short amount of time

OmonRa said:
Isn't text matched either to the language of your machine and/or subtitle language?

I'm not sure if that is the case. If I remember Uncharted and Uncharted 2 the menus changed according to the language chosen.

grkazan12 said:
planning on purchasing this on day one, and my question is: do you have to play AC1 to know what is going on in AC2 and if so is there a link or something that can help me catch up in a short amount of time

The developers say it isn't necessary and supposedly there is a recap of some kind. You should be fine.

Solo

You dont HAVE to, but Im sure youll be a bit lost. Besides, yuo should play AC1 anyway - repetitive nature aside, its a great game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blader5489 said:

Desmond is in Italy anyway (you can tell by the writing on the signs at the beginning).

Domino Theory said:
I just read on N4G that you get a Splinter Cell demo with the purchase of ACII. Is this true?

If true thats awesome, I really think UbiSoft dropped the ball not putting a demo of PoP in with the first Creed (I sure it would have really helped its sales).

Fady K

Solo said:
You dont HAVE to, but Im sure youll be a bit lost. Besides, yuo should play AC1 anyway - repetitive nature aside, its a great game.

If you actually play the game without bothering with any sidequests except the ones necessary to advance the plot, its much more awesome and straightforward - no fillers and all. Though it would end up a lot shorter, but more memorable.

DrBo42

Progression question for the people who have completed the game. How far am I from the end?
I'm competing to get the golden mask right now at the Carnevale.

Also, does the Splinter Cell Conviction demo go live Tuesday? Do we know?

Top Bottom