• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

ThePeacemaker02 said:
My question, Is the gameplay varied? I know that the devs say it is but anything can be more varied than the original.

Yikes, did you read the the OP? Previews? Interviews? Watch gameplay videos? Unless the game people are playing now really isn't AC2, the buzz seems to indicate that there's a ton more variety. Sorry, don't mean to be a prick; I think anyone that appreciated something about the first game won't be disappointed.

Akia

I just pre-ordered Assassin's Creed 2 (360) with release date delivery from Amazon for $20.99. Using $30 Credit ($20 from MW2 and $10 from Brutal Legend) + $5 pre-order coupon. Amazon Prime release date shipping, the ECA discount (while it lasted) and all the rollover pre-order credit incentives helped me buy everything I wanted this holiday (ODST, U2, BL, MW2, AC2) for under $200. Of course their guaranteed insane Black Friday deals will make me break my $200 limit but as of right now I'm extremely happy with their service.

I <3 Amazon

Phthisis

Jesus christ this game is amazing. I loved the first one, but they have gone so far above and beyond what needed to be fixed in this game, I am stunned. I have been playing all day today (about 9 hours now) with zero breaks and I am in no way bored.

Kudos to you Ubisoft Montreal. Absolutely fantastic experience.

Loudninja

iamcool388 said:

I've played for maybe 2 hours... enjoying it a lot. The story is much better laid out this time and things seem to be making sense, even though there are still LOTS of things being left mysterious. However, their effort to make the story a little more structured and comprehensible is appreciated.

The gameplay is pretty fun till now, though there are tons of things I still havent learnt. Parkour is awesome, running away from guards is excellent, especially when you take to the roofs (which is really the most fun and exciting way to play the game!)

I wish I could spoil a little more... there are quite a few interesting things going on. Also... the language is quite crude from time to time. Definitely a Mature game.

So how is it running for you?

Varth

Ooookay. Just finished it, got 97% trophies. Damn, a couple of the glyph puzzles, while always fascinating, were HARD as hell. Didn't really expect that from a ubi game.

Ranger X

Varth said:
Ooookay. Just finished it, got 97% trophies. Damn, a couple of the glyph puzzles, while always fascinating, were HARD as hell. Didn't really expect that from a ubi game.

What's your game completion rating? (see the book at the villa)

ezekial45

Banned
Varth said:

How long did it take you?

Ranger X

ezekial45 said:
How long did it take you?

My first complete and 100% playthrough took me 20-25 hours. If you do NOTHING and just rush the mission to complete the game as fast as possible it will be around 8-10 hours.

DrBo42

ezekial45 said:
How far are you into the story?
Just got to the 2nd city. 8 1/2 hours has me at 38% sync. I've been going after the collectibles hardcore, they're actually valuable and interesting this time.

I just had probably the most satisfying AC experience ever a few moments ago. I threw one of those terribly annoying minstrels to the ground after he wouldn't leave me alone, but this attracted guard attention. It's then I realized I was about halfway up the notoriety scale. 4 guards approaching me now on a moonlit bridge in Venice, fight or flight response kicks in. 2 of them are too close to each other, they've made a very large mistake. I raise both arms to their necks, each hidden blade connects opening their throats. The 2 remaining guards reach for their weapons but I'm already a step ahead of them. My smoke bomb explodes where their comrades lay dead. I push past the guards that are now blinded and struggling to breathe, launching myself into the canal and disappearing into the night.

JBuccCP

Sounds like they did a great job fixing the poor stuff from the first game. I think I will reward them with my monies. Hopefully Far Cry 3 gets the same treatment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Actually there are 4 cities. Two big ones (Florence and Venice) and two small ones (San Gimignano and Forli). There's also the villa.

So who else never played the first title but have utmost interest in the sequel? I do. I had my intentions, but I admit that once the impressions rolled in on AC and entailed the redundant mission structure and such, I lost most of my immediate interest. I'm quite excited for ACII, however. This is going to be a hell of a week for gaming (New Super Mario Bros., Left 4 Dead 2, and this).

Loudninja said:
So how is it running for you?

Its running quite well. There is tearing and framerate dips, yes, but its not too bad or noticeable for me. One time I DO notice it is when you climb a viewpoint and synchronize. The camera panning around you very makes it very easily noticeable. Other than that, I have no complaints.

This game seems much less frustrating than the first one (not that difficult a task.) I do miss the controls of inFAMOUS, thats the king of free-running games control schemes imo. Quite a few times I miss making jumps which I really shouldnt have and get penalized for it. For example, when you are climbing something and want to go right or left on the same wall, you can press right/left, but if you press 'x' along with it Ezio decides to jump off into oblivion instead of jumping in a direction along the wall. Its frustrating, but you get used to it after a while.

Also, very minor spoiler as its been in dev diaries, but still...
I just opened up Ezio's Villa's economy
... It looks VERY addicting and I am sure I will spend a lot of time just jazzing the place up. :lol

MirageDwarf said:
Street date breaking is like norm now.

Pretty much. I'm in NYC, so... :D

Leminnes

Banned
I'm really sad that I have to wait until next year to play AC2. As much as I love PC, waiting for games to come out that have already been released makes me sad. :(

Well, since I am taking a break, let me expand a little bit more before heading back to the game.

I think one major difference between AC2 and its predecessor is its approach to handling the protagonist. In AC, you were already a badass who knew everything, all the moves, skills etc. The progression came not from learning something new, but just from getting your old privileges back. In that world everyone already assumes Altair is a badass and treats him accordingly.

In AC2 we are with Ezio since the beginning... we see him learning new skills gradually and see him evolve into an assassin instead of him already being one before hand. You can relate more to him... especially because he is also given a sympathetic backstory and a cast of characters he loves and cares for. Altair's actions were dictated mostly by his personal gain whereas Ezio does many things for revenge as well as his family.

The motivation for Ezio is to earn respect, for Altair it was to earn it back. This makes AC2 a much more layered experience and gives Ubisoft much more leeway in adding missions/story threads etc. I know its a small point, but it nonetheless struck me as a crucial in the way the game unfolds. Any thoughts by those playing/completed?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty much, AC1 was "Ok what do I do next? Ok now what do I do? Ok now what? Am I done yet?". That was pretty much the actual narrative. In AC2 it's a life playing its course.

Ranger X

iamcool388 said:
Well, since I am taking a break, let me expand a little bit more before heading back to the game.

I think one major difference between AC2 and its predecessor is its approach to handling the protagonist. In AC, you were already a badass who knew everything, all the moves, skills etc. The progression came not from learning something new, but just from getting your old privileges back. In that world everyone already assumes Altair is a badass and treats him accordingly.

In AC2 we are with Ezio since the beginning... we see him learning new skills gradually and see him evolve into an assassin instead of him already being one before hand. You can relate more to him... especially because he is also given a sympathetic backstory and a cast of characters he loves and cares for. Altair's actions were dictated mostly by his personal gain whereas Ezio does many things for revenge as well as his family.

The motivation for Ezio is to earn respect, for Altair it was to earn it back. This makes AC2 a much more layered experience and gives Ubisoft much more leeway in adding missions/story threads etc. I know its a small point, but it nonetheless struck me as a crucial in the way the game unfolds. Any thoughts by those playing/completed?

For the game to really be story based now is also causing this feeling of yours.
I think it was an EXTREMELY good idea to shift the game's structure around completely.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Leminnes said:
I'm really sad that I have to wait until next year to play AC2. As much as I love PC, waiting for games to come out that have already been released makes me sad. :(

I'm with you man. I really, really liked the first game and bought it on the PC when it got released much later and really enjoyed it there too. The game ran and looked amazing on the PC so I decided I was going to just get the PC version of AC2 and skip it on the consoles. Needless to say the announcement that the PC version would be delayed made me very sad. The game looks fantastic and much better than the original.

Ranger X said:
For the game to really be story based now is also causing this feeling of yours.
I think it was an EXTREMELY good idea to shift the game's structure around completely.

Such a great point. I hope people see that AC1 was a learning experience for the team and the series. It did some really cool things, my top being the setting/historical time period. However, AC2 is clearly the result of listening to the community and really stripping down the first game and taking it in a new direction. A lot of the things just work. Making it a more narrative piece was the best thing they could do, and honestly, I was surprised when AC1 ended up lacking in that department. The whole economic system really adds to the Renaissance era and from the stuff I've watched I can already tell simply renovating the Villa is going to be ADDICTING.

It's the little things. They really paid attention to detail and to the criticism. I've said it before but I applaud them for that, not many developers really seem to do that anymore. For a team like UbiMon; a team with great ideas and extreme talent in the creative department it's great to see them step it up.

Fuck the naysayers, I've just got this really good feeling about AC2. It will shut a lot of people up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
FML, I had to pass on this game in favor of Left 4 Dead 2 but I'm really looking forward to it, I actually thought the first was a pretty great game so I expect this to be even better. It seems to have been kind of neglected due to all of the other games releasing around the same time, but I expect it to be one of the best games of the year, can't wait until I have the funds to procure this particular game.

Concept17

iamcool388 said:

This is always the better route, whether its movies or games. The whole 'creation' of a character being played out is more entertaining than just a part of the story.

Ridley327

I've been following impressions of the PSP game (it's "out," as you could have guessed) and it seems like they shouldn't have bothered. I'm not even sure the connectivity stuff will be worth it, really.

Ridley327 said:
I've been following impressions of the PSP game (it's "out," as you could have guessed) and it seems like they shouldn't have bothered. I'm not even sure the connectivity stuff will be worth it, really.

What have you heard?

Ridley327

It sounds like it's more or less a low-rent version of the first game; it has some of the essentials down, like the controls and Altair's animation being surprisingly close to what it was, but it sounds like everything else got severely downgraded. Technologically, it has bad character models (one person mentioned that they're not unlike the models in MGS1), cities being chopped up into separate zones with loading in-between and nasty draw-in all throughout. The game also sounds considerably easier than AC1, due to guards not even trying to attack you in the cities even after they see you walking away from a dead body. The story doesn't even really go anywhere, either. :-/

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since Griptonite Games isn't exactly a highly regarded developer, but it's still disappointing to see. Maybe the concept simply needs better hardware to do it justice.

DrBo42

I'm about to lose my mind on this puzzle. Only people who have completed the game should highlight this. You have been warned.
On one of the Subject 16 radial code wheel puzzles. It's the captains of industry one, Ford is the current picture. I understand that the code is in a 3 pattern, but there's no key on this one. Usually they have a 4=1 or something and then you can solve it...that's not here. I've tried . as 1, | as 1, I have no idea what's going on now. Help.

OmonRa

Fuck it's been too long I don't remember...
Does it have a collection of other numbers on the screen as well or just the number = symbo hint?

edit
If it's not the one with extra numbers all over the place the number and symbol are hidden IN the pictures if you look you'll see which number and symbol...

DrBo42

OmonRa said:
Fuck it's been too long I don't remember...
Does it have a collection of other numbers on the screen as well or just the number = symbo hint?
See that's the thing. If I had a key, like number = symbol I'd be totally fine. That shit is not on this page. All I see is ||.. in the Ford article, but there's no number next to it for reference.

OmonRa

Then I think I'm right about the symbol and number being hidden in the pictures/photos on the screen. Look closely. Otherwise I can ask the expert.

DrBo42

OmonRa said:
Then I think I'm right about the symbol and number being hidden in the pictures/photos on the screen. Look closely. Otherwise I can ask the expert.
Yeah you were right.
There's a 2 painted on the hood of the car in the assembly line photo. God damn it! :lol
Thanks.

I hate to harp on this point but seeing how it's my only major concern for the game left unanswered, I need to ask are the guards more aggressive / difficult this time around? Specifically, do they still wait patiently taking it in turns to attack you?

Everything else about the game sounds great, just hoping to get a guage on how lenient the guards are this time around is all.

Phthisis

About 13 hours on the clock and I'm headed to
Venice
for the first time. So far I've done everything possible: all side missions, all collectibles (except the feathers since I might have missed some) and have upgraded the Villa to fully renovated.

Easily one of the top 3 games I've played this year.

Saterium

Somewhat off topic but does anyone know any place that has all the 'cutscenes' from AC1 posted to them? I looked around on youtube and found them in pretty much every language but english.

Wouldn't mind a quick refresh on the AC1 story but really have no desire to replay the game

*EDIT* nevermind, found it.. figures taking out the apostrophe would help it turn up.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B7955AF5AA8F23A8&search_query=assassins+creed+cutscene incase anyone cares.

DrBo42

SenorDingDong said:
I hate to harp on this point but seeing how it's my only major concern for the game left unanswered, I need to ask are the guards more aggressive / difficult this time around? Specifically, do they still wait patiently taking it in turns to attack you?

Everything else about the game sounds great, just hoping to get a guage on how lenient the guards are this time around is all.

Combat is still a bit of a joke in terms of how badly you rape guards. At least that's what I'm experiencing.

Ranger X

SenorDingDong said:

It's hard for me the tell what you are looking for but it's not a new combat system from scratch, it doesn't become God of War or Ninja Gaiden all of a sudden. It's the same kind of controls and pace but now you also have a grab+attack system, more types of ennemis with different weak points forcing you to use different strategies. The game isn't harder than AC1 so I suppose that if you find AC1 easy, you will find this one too.

For the number of guards, there can be up to 8 or 10 guards around you but you can target only one at a time. Guards that you're not currently targeted to can also attack you.

This game just fucking lost me.

There is a mission where some dude is cooped up in the tallest tower of the city, surrounded by 4-5 other towers where archers are stationed. You are supposed to take out the archers first so thats what I did. Took me 20 fucking minutes but I thought i'd do it the Assassin way instead of playing it in an all out brawler manner. Cleared out every tower, then had climbed on the tallest one and was fighting the 3-4 soldiers there when one of them hit me a few times and I fell off the tower. I died. The game started me up with every single archer in every single tower alive.

How fucking borked is the checkpoint system? There are NO checkpoints in between missions? If you dont have an easy and generous autosave function, then at least let the players have the option to save manually, because not all of are that good as to not die too much, and some of us dont have the fucking time to spend replaying the same mission again and again. This is bloody Three Leaf Clover all over again. Disgusting.

Fuck this piece of shit game. Unbelievable.

Sqorgar said:
The street date breaking isn't THAT prolific. I'll take your "some" and raise you a "most".

Perhaps we should have a rule of showing a receipt with the box of the game? Whatever it takes to make presumptuous assholes shut up.

Top Bottom