• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Bit-Bit said:
What the hell is going on? Are we playing the same game? Start out slow how? I went from being born to wearing my assassin garb in like 30 minutes.

Stop comparing apples to oranges.

I like the game but I agree that it does start off really slow. I'm thinking of open world games like gta and fallout3 and they start you off with almost everything you can potentially have early on, if you can find it.

In AC2, they give you everything in baby steps. You don't even get to learn how to parry until you reach the villa. And then a few hours later, you get to learn how to dodge and disarm. In the beginning, it's the worst, because all you can do is is simple attacks with 2 or 3 weapons and it makes fights early on really boring.

Miguelangelo said:
is that pic from PS3 version? holy shit..... no bueno
look at the buttons on the screen, sherlock. It's the 360 version. And there is obviously something wrong with his capture technique.

Nemesis_

So did anyone get an AVATAR downloadable code in their Black Edition? I'm a bit confused as to what it does.

As an aside, does anyone have a summary of what happened in the PSP Bloodlines?

dark10x said:
I hope those shots are the result of a camera deficiency and not your TV settings as it looks terrible!
Its a camera phone so yeah not the greatest.

Was just trying to show off the cool outfit :(. If I sized it down to 600p probably would have looked fine but I just kept it at the resolution that the camera phone captured it at.

do you become a badass that can kick ass in combat against regular enemies? Made it to villa and learned new skills, but I find combat kinda tedious as enemies constantly block. I know this is a stealth game so its not like its a flaw of the game (and I would always expect trouble against the elite enemy classes, but I remember being more offensive at sword fighting in AC1...

cleveridea said:
do you become a badass that can kick ass in combat against regular enemies? Made it to villa and learned new skills, but I find combat kinda tedious as enemies constantly block. I know this is a stealth game so its not like its a flaw of the game (and I would always expect trouble against the elite enemy classes, but I remember being more effective in AC1...
Have you forgotten how to counter kill? You hold RT and hit X when an enemy starts to attack you. You can also dodge enemies and then attack them if they are blocking your counter kills-- but regular enemies should be killable via counter kill.

infinityBCRT said:
Have you forgotten how to counter kill? You hold RT and hit X when an enemy starts to attack you. You can also dodge enemies and then attack them if they are blocking your counter kills-- but regular enemies should be killable via counter kill.

yeah non-armored enemies usually are insta kill. Armored ones just counter and dodge as much as you can, beat them down health wise til you get your FATALITY.

infinityBCRT said:

right but personally I find this slow and tedious, I more enjoy an action game which this is not - its a stealth game, so its totally understandable and its my fault for wanting action more than stealth. but I would like later in the game to become more effective and be able to slay many regular enemies without constant blocking, does this happen? if not the game isnt for me and I can move back to dragon age.

So people who hated the first are liking this one pretty much? Thought the original was one of the most hyped up pieces of mediocre crap to come out in a long time. Can we jump into this one then without missing really much?

how to get rid of notorious status?

edit: nevermind.
just finished a mission where you bribe officials, and remove posters to decrease the notorious level

Cemperor

Neo Member
BattleMonkey said:
So people who hated the first are liking this one pretty much? Thought the original was one of the most hyped up pieces of mediocre crap to come out in a long time. Can we jump into this one then without missing really much?

Yes, yes you can. If you want, check out the full story of ACI online to better understand what's going on.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, even though I was spoiled beforehand, I still shat bricks when I
started to play as Altair
So awesome :D

DigiMish

I'm curious about the game, and going through the thread, and it's pretty annoying to read people saying that AC2 doesn't hold up because of the godly UC2.

Yes, we get it - Uncharted 2 is awesome, so go post in the UC2 thread, not here.

Being a multi-console owner is killing gaming for me.
I really dislike the 360 controller for anything action based. My hands are just to small...
But I'm also very neurotic so I always want the best version.

In this case my wife decided for me and bought the ps3 version.
I will most likely buy bloodlines, so the added interaction between the two versions seems like a big plus.
I'll just have to live with the extra tearing...

I do prefer the lighting in the ps3 version if I can judge by the lense of truth comparison.

DigiMish said:
I'm curious about the game, and going through the thread, and it's pretty annoying to read people saying that AC2 doesn't hold up because of the godly UC2.

Yes, we get it - Uncharted 2 is awesome, so go post in the UC2 thread, not here.
I love UC2 it's my favorite game of the generation. but UC2 has a competitor now. AC2 is too awesome.

robot

Quick (long) question:

I just left Florence for the first time and noticed there were really no side missions I can do (races for example) other than the introductory ones you get achievements for. Also I collected a few of those items for Leonardo Da Vinci but his door is locked. And I havent been able to buy any items other than a light armor.

Does this stuff open up later on in the game or something? I feel like I missed out on a lot in Florence but there's nothing on my ap to do other than treasure chests and 1-2 viewpoints.

Dead

well not really...yet
robot said:
Quick (long) question:

I just left Florence for the first time and noticed there were really no side missions I can do (races for example) other than the introductory ones you get achievements for. Also I collected a few of those items for Leonardo Da Vinci but his door is locked. And I havent been able to buy any items other than a light armor.

Does this stuff open up later on in the game or something? I feel like I missed out on a lot in Florence but there's nothing on my ap to do other than treasure chests and 1-2 viewpoints.
Yeah, more side missions open up as you play the game. There are a lot of Assassination side missions that unlock at a certain point in the game.

I've made some progress (2 or so hours) and I have agree, the pacing is slow. Enemy encounters are very boring and somewhat tedious. If you never experienced the first AC, don't worry, AC2 starts off with a cutscene giving you a rundown of the events that took place in the previous title.

If a game fails to grab my attention within the first 30 (hour at the most) minutes, I stop playing. Don't give me that "Oh, but it gets better after so-and-so hrs or once you unlock some chapter mid-game, new ability, etc." garbage. I barely made it to where I am now in AC2, the initial hour left a bad taste in my mouth. But As I pushed forward, I began to feel that maybe it was worth giving a shot. The environment(s) so far are visually great but short of stunning. SO FAR, ok? ...and I actually like the Lead Protagonist this time around. Though, the story/dialogue/pacing is tolerable...still boring (so far...)

I'm enjoying the experience and hope it continues to stay that way.

TheExecutive said:
The cutscenes in this game are hard to look at. It's strange because walking around the city the game is beautiful and then when people turn around or a cutscene triggers I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.
I have to believe they cut down the amount of polygons in most faces for the sake of FPS. If theres one big knock against AC2 it probably is that the face models could be much better. But then again, you go look at other open world games like GTA4 and theres nothing to shout about there either.

Prine

Banned
I know its early, and its just pointless banter until i get my hands on the game BUT, do you think the next AC will be set in India? Im thinking about the next great empire after the 16th century was the British Empire, and India was their jewel. Would be fun riding on elephants, visiting the Taj Mahal with plenty of opportunities to assassinate evil war merchants.

Truant

This thread isn't nearly as good as the Uncharted 2 thread.

I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just saying...

...that this thread isn't nearly as good as the Uncharted 2 thread. Ps. No flame wars. Just sayin.

Ranger X

infinityBCRT said:
I have to believe they cut down the amount of polygons in most faces for the sake of FPS. If theres one big knock against AC2 it probably is that the face models could be much better. But then again, you go look at other open world games like GTA4 and theres nothing to shout about there either.

It's very simple guys. Some games have 2 character models, one in-game (lower poly lower detail) and another set for cut-scenes (high-res, more details). Uncharted 2 is a prime example of this.
In AC2, it's there's only one set of characters. They look a bit worse in cut-scenes but it's only because the camera is near.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I noticed that when I renovated the villa, it opened up new areas to check out and get treasure from. I think I found all such areas except for the mine. After ernovating the mine, I went to check it out but it was barred.

Is there a way to get into the mines below the city?

DigiMish

Prine said:
I know its early, and its just pointless banter until i get my hands on the game BUT, do you think the next AC will be set in India? Im thinking about the next great empire after the 16th century was the British Empire, and India was their jewel. Would be fun riding on elephants, visiting the Taj Mahal with plenty of opportunities to assassinate evil war merchants.

I think they mentioned how they thought doing the next Assassin's Creed during WW1 or WW2 would be awesome. Spies, deceptions, all that jazz.

Ranger X

slayn said:
I noticed that when I renovated the villa, it opened up new areas to check out and get treasure from. I think I found all such areas except for the mine. After ernovating the mine, I went to check it out but it was barred.

Is there a way to get into the mines below the city?

Look around more, there's 2 places were you can think it's the mine entrance. One that will open and the other one will never.

Prine

Banned
DigiMish said:
I think they mentioned how they thought doing the next Assassin's Creed during WW1 or WW2 would be awesome. Spies, deceptions, all that jazz.

Ahh they're going to skip British Empire altogether (before 1914) ? America, Asia?

WW1 would be good though, it was the last war where the military rode out on horses. Though the added emphasis on guns would mean some drastic change to AC formula. Swords, daggers, shields has always been far more interesting to me then silencers, sniping and cameras.

mileS

I was about to turn the game off after one more treasure. Almost 2 hours later... yea that didn't happen.

There's just a ton to do in this game content wise.. I'm 10 hours in and I feel like I'm just getting started. I don't even have my second hidden blade yet.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Prine said:
Ahh they're going to skip British Empire altogether? America, Asia?

WW1 would be good though, it was the last war where the military rode out on horses. Though the added emphasis on guns would mean some drastic change to AC formula. Swords, daggers, shields has always been far more interesting to me then silencers, sniping and cameras.

GUNBLADE

Falt

Big fan of AC1, I was actually planning to pick this up around Christmas but reading through the thread and seeing such positive reactions instantly made me crumble. Pile of shame be damned! I'm grabbing a copy tomorrow.

Dead

well not really...yet
Quick question

Will I be able to still play the game after beating it so I can still get collectibles and what not?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im going crazy, im not that super far in yet but i missed the glyph in the part where it says the building was used to raise orphans in the first town i think it was

i cant find the building anymore, stupid huge open world damn you! :lol

Solo

Dead said:
Quick question

Will I be able to still play the game after beating it so I can still get collectibles and what not?

You could in AC1... dont see why they would remove the feature, so I presume its still in there.

Tiduz said:
im going crazy, im not that super far in yet but i missed the glyph in the part where it says the building was used to raise orphans in the first town i think it was

Try to find it on Google Earth.

omg, Old Syrian Sword. I read somewhere that Old Syrian Swords are the finest swords in that time. it is made out of Damascus Steel.

This sword should be the ultimate weapon in the game. :D

Solid warrior said:
omg, Old Syrian Sword. I read somewhere that Old Syrian Swords are the finest swords in that time. it is made out of Damascus Steel.

This sword should be the ultimate weapon in the game. :D

Not according to the stats :lol

Nemesis_

For a sequel, couldn't they visit Feudal Japan? or something more, well, asian?

I know this is all speculation and hearsay but I'd like to see a female ancestor to Desmond star too.

ultron87

brandonh83 said:
Try to find it on Google Earth.

So awesome that this is a viable answer for finding stuff in this game. Not awesome that you have to do it for the glyphs (that could've been marked on the map somehow), but still amazing.

When do you get the ability to disarm people? It's just a counter when you have your fists equipped, correct? I just did the first combat training sequence
at Monteriggione.

I haven't fought anyone after that sequence yet so I suppose I could've just unlocked it.

Top Bottom