• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Barrett2

I love the contract kill missions you get in the
chicken coops
. So awesome. Little things like this are the perfect kind of additional content the first game lacked.

In combat it feels like its too difficult to sneak up on dudes to knife them in the back. Constantly I will be on the rooftops, try to sneak up on a guard, and he will notice me. What gives?

KdoubleA

Dead said:
Ranger X:

11jpzjl.jpg

You'll get a climb ability during one of the missions in Venice that helps you climb that!

Razorskin

----- ------
Grimm Fandango said:
So how do you employ the whores?

There should be a "Press triangle for hire" option when you get close. You probably haven't done the mission to unlock them or don't have enough money.

MikeE21286 said:
I just started this game and I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in the first part

They break me out of some place and then I am going to work for some people....yet I have some bleeding effect and I'm becoming an Assassin yet my ancestors are Assassins?

Honestly this game does a piss poor job of introducing new players to what is going on. None of it makes sense...

Other than that it looks great and I really want to get into it more

yeah wiki the first game and psp game. it'll make sense then.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:

I think you can. But, you have to learn a new climbing trick first.

I'm sure someone has said this before, but there is no WAY in hell you'd be able to solve the glyphs/puzzles using a SDTV. Some of the clues in the pics are so faint. I can barely seen them with my 42" Bravia.

Mana Sin

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It's free. You just need to unlock it with some points you'll naturally earn playing the game.

Ah, thanks. Those are probably earned when I get those 'U- Action completed' alerts, right?

Gribbix

Calavera520 said:
Does anyone know if the pre-order exclusive maps will be available at some point as DLC? preferably free DLC.
They'll be available to everyone eventually. Although I doubt they'll be free.

http://kotaku.com/5360664/
Patrice Desilets said:
Eventually everyone will have the entire game. I made sure of that. Because I'm Canadian, I don't have the same shops as you do. So I wanted to make sure I could at least someday play everything in the game. Eventually there's going to be, okay, let's unlock everything.

Zeliard

Do horses make their return in AC2? I assume not since I guess the countryside areas have been pared back significantly. Riding horses across the big open fields was one of my favorite parts of the first AC.

Zeliard said:
Do horses make their return in AC2? I assume not since I guess the countryside areas have been pared back significantly. Riding horses across the big open fields was one of my favorite parts of the first AC.

Yeah horses are in. They show up when you start traveling between cities.

Zeliard said:

yes and way more responsive.

Zeliard said:
Yes horses do make a come back and while there is no overworld anymore, the cities to have a large area around them and you can ride out towards other cities via horse if you want to plus there are things to explore in the outer skirts of some of the cities.

Gribbix

Mana Sin said:
Ah, thanks. Those are probably earned when I get those 'U- Action completed' alerts, right?
Yes. In addition to the 100 points available in the main game, you get 10 points for logging in via your 360 and/or PS3 (press Y or triangle at the main menu). You can also get another 10 points by logging into your account on the UPlay website.

Solo

Zeliard said:

Running down crowds of civilians on horseback was one of the great pleasures to be found in AC1 :lol

Razorskin said:
There should be a "Press triangle for hire" option when you get close. You probably haven't done the mission to unlock them or don't have enough money.

Ah okay just unlocked it (I'm taking this game nice and slow).

Pimp daddy Ezio ftw.

I love this game.

Gribbix

Solo said:
Running down crowds of civilians on horseback was one of the great pleasures to be found in AC1 :lol
Ha. It is oddly satisfying. In most of these kinds of games, I'll completely ignore the civilians. But in AC, I don't make any effort to avoid civilians in my horse's path (though I guess I am still technically ignoring them). You do kind of have to avoid them in AC2 as your horse will trip and fall over if you rundown too many people. I may be mistaken, but I don't remember that ever happening in AC1.

Zeliard

Solo said:

lol

I didn't do much horse-riding through the cities themselves - I enjoyed the traversal via parkour too much. Looks like I missed out.

Solo

Gribbix said:
I may be mistaken, but I don't remember that ever happening in AC1.

It didnt. Running into people with you horse in AC1 had 2 possible outcomes: bodies flying everywhere, or, if you ran into a pack of guards, one could possibly knock you off.

When you roll into Jerusalem in AC1, there is a stream of about 30 civilians walking down the path towards the city. I must have make that journey into the city 100 times, and never once without wrecking each and every last person :lol

EDIT: Zeliard: I didnt mean IN the cities, but rather on the outskirts. I too enjoy the parkour too much to use horses. Besides, I dont think you can even get the horses into the cities in AC1.

Zeliard

Solo said:
EDIT: Zeliard: I didnt mean IN the cities, but rather on the outskirts. I too enjoy the parkour too much to use horses. Besides, I dont think you can even get the horses into the cities in AC1.

Ah okay, I thought I remembered not being able to take the horses into the actual cities themselves.

But yeah, now when I think of it, I definitely did run over some people in the game. :lol Their fault for not getting out of the way quickly enough.

Solo said:
When you roll into Jerusalem in AC1, there is a stream of about 30 civilians walking down the path towards the city. I must have make that journey into the city 100 times, and never once without wrecking each and every last person :lol

This sparked my memory. I remember doing this exact thing as well. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The most amazing thing about this game is the number of unique pieces of architecture in the world. Assassin's Creed 1 had the same buildings copy and pasted and this game is loaded with beautiful, unique landmarks that are fun to climb.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Miguelangelo said:
so is ROMA a one mission place or is there alot of side missions there? ima find out this afternoon just curious before hand
It's unfortunately a one mission place, and not the best one at that. And worse, it teases you when loading with an awesome landscape :/

I reached at my villa Monteriggioni. Spent 3-4 hours reaching there. Did collections/events/exploration.

THIS GAME FUCKING ROCKS!!! This should completely wipe out bad memories of AC1 if you have one. People who haven't played AC1 should not hesitate to jump in because game starts with explaining back story and that is all you need to know.

This definitely goes into one of the most improved sequel department. Lots of different things to do and now it has purpose unlike stupid flag collection in AC1. You have to keep making money. I'm still early in the game so don't know how well economic aspect holds up later on.

I think reason some feels game starts slow is because it gives you freedom to explore the city from start while still introducing gameplay mechanics. So, if you're like me who always explores and not finish objectives asap, you will feel it progressing slowly before you do anything big. I didn't mind it because I love exploring. Do early objectives first until you reach Monteriggioni if you feel it's moving slow.

Early game spoiler before you reach your villa:

When Ezio sees assassin's robe, he wears it just like that. It could have been more dramatic. Should have been done after his uncle explains everything.

One of the small details I like very much is how game uses italian phrases. You can read English in subtitles so you get best of the both. Unlocking "The Truth" sounds interesting. For open world games, it looks gorgeous.

Only thing I don't like is you can't skip cutscenes. It gets kinda annoying if you have to play mission more than once because you died doing some daring things.

Regarding onscreen gameplay tips, will it stop after some point or not? I see same tips keep repeating. There are entries for that in database. No need to keep showing it.

Game is awful. Hated the first one but reading impressions on this, I was hoping it would be different... how wrong.

Never again with this series. I'm out.

The start is completely dreadful. Why did they think to bother with all this present day nonesense? It's not fun or enjoyable. Yapping on about crap then running through generic corridoors and beating up guards with terrible combat, before more running about unexciting environments and talking to more people you couldn't give a shit about.

By the time I got to the proper stuff I was nearly half a sleep. But I was so bored playing I just gave up. Having played the likes of U2, Batman etc. this year, this really feels poor. And lots of screen tearing and textures/objects popping in. Yuck.

Ranger X

Katana_Strikes said:
Game is awful. Hated the first one but reading impressions on this, I was hoping it would be different... how wrong.

The start is completely dreadful. Why did they think to bother with all this present day nonesense? It's not fun or enjoyable. Yapping on about crap then running through generic corridoors and beating up guards with terrible combat, before more running about unexciting environments and talking to more people you couldn't give a shit about.

By the time I got to the proper stuff I was nearly half a sleep. But I was so bored playing I just gave up. Having played the likes of U2, Batman etc. this year, this really feels poor. And lots of screen tearing and textures/objects popping in. Yuck.

:lol
Well, looks like it takes someone to truly hate it!

Katana_Strikes said:

Hmm I don't think you and I would have much in common as humans.

Mr. Sam

Katana_Strikes said:

Sounds like you should have stuck with it for a few more hours.

Sai-kun

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:

Wow. :lol. That's all. Wow.

EzLink

Banned
I have a question about the economy with the Villa... Ezio's sister says that she will take the money for herself if the chest gets too full so every hour or so I make a trip back to the Villa to empty the chest before it reaches maximum capacity. It can be kind of an annoyance though at times, but I figure its better than losing all of the money. But then I realized maybe that was just for dialogue and she really doesn't take the money. I figured I'd ask you guys to check

Is it just me or does anyone else want to kill that dick Shaun hastings everytime you go back to the present?

I have a question about the economy with the Villa... Ezio's sister says that she will take the money for herself if the chest gets too full so every hour or so I make a trip back to the Villa to empty the chest before it reaches maximum capacity. It can be kind of an annoyance though at times, but I figure its better than losing all of the money. But then I realized maybe that was just for dialogue and she really doesn't take the money. I figured I'd ask you guys to check

She doesn't take anything.

Sai-kun

Banned
EzLink said:

It just stops filling up once it reaches the max. :D

Zeliard

Just how short are some people's attention spans? This is why we keep getting lowest-common-denominator trash like Call of Duty. The start with Desmond lasts like 15 minutes and is what gives context to your actions, and the Ezio character build-up is slow but still much better than simply suddenly sticking you in the shoes of some assassin archetype like in AC1.

Ranger X

Zeliard said:
Just how short are some people's attention spans? This is why we keep getting lowest-common-denominator trash like Call of Duty. The start with Desmond lasts like 15 minutes and is what gives context to your actions, and the Ezio character build-up is slow but still much better than simply suddenly sticking you in the shoes of some assassin archetype like in AC1.

Some people don't like character devellopment and stories but when there's none they also complain. It's just a load of bullocks. Also, if you don't like the core of a game why do you play it and try to like the sequel and such? I don't like Halo3, did I fucking post in the thread about the game being awful? lol

Finished it today, really liked how the story is unfolding. Very surreal. The later sequences were awesome, especially
Carnivale, and Rome (wish it was included with the game)
. The length was very nice, but I always hate completing a game when the story is really good. Now, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my 300K florin stash. Probably one of my only gripes; if at the end of the game we are still making 60K every hour, at least give us a bunch of shit (even if it is somewhat useless?) to buy.

On to the collecting and exploring.

Costanza

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:

:lol

Alcander

Question for you guys...is it worth it to finish playing thru AC1 (I think I'm like halfway done) and then play this? Or just youtube the cutscenes and move on?

I don't hate AC1 as much as some people, but it is dragging a bit. Also, I really want to be able to do some modern day parkour and shit with the modern-day dude - does that happen at all in AC1? Or am I wasting my time hoping for it, haha.

Katana_Strikes said:

Just a theory here but this may go back to your history of gaming and how you treat games. I recently had a friend who never played games (at least not anytime recently) try out Forza with a wheel and he loved it. Then he wanted to play Modern Warfare 2 after I showed him the trailer for it and he basically couldn't get through the first mission because he couldn't wait through the 1 minute sequence when you get into the gunners seat on the humvee. He'd always end up shooting friendlies because to him it was a game and he just wanted to shoot shit. He didn't care about the story or anything.

On the other hand I'm coming from a PC background where there were a ton of Adventure games which were more like reading a book, games that would immerse you in a story. When I played that scene in MW2 it was ultra intense for me because in my head I put myself into that situation and thought about what I'd do if I was really in the situation. It involved some imagination to make that leap from it being just a game where you shoot shit to being something more than that.

The experience that my friend had is probably an extreme case because MW2 is far from a game that requires a lot of imagination and patience to enjoy it. But something like AC probably requires a bit more of that.

Alcander said:
Question for you guys...is it worth it to finish playing thru AC1 (I think I'm like halfway done) and then play this? Or just youtube the cutscenes and move on?

I don't hate AC1 as much as some people, but it is dragging a bit. Also, I really want to be able to do some modern day parkour and shit with the modern-day dude - does that happen at all in AC1? Or am I wasting my time hoping for it, haha.
AC1's last 4 or 5 assassinations are REALLY fun. Just do the bare minimum for the investigations and trust me, you'll enjoy the game 10x more.

And AC2 does have a lot of references to the first game and it literally starts off at the exact same spot that AC1 ends. You may be confused if you don't finish AC1, although I guess you could get by by reading a summary of AC1's story.

Top Bottom