• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
While I don't at all find it offensive, there's very little chance I'd play this game, despite having played the first three.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I laughed so hard I think I woke the kids up. I like your sense of humor!
Here is what I think about the setting and images so far...
BAD. ASS. And I'm too old to be a fanboy, though not as wannabe cynical as half the haters on here. I've been gaming since Telstar pong and I can't remember an American Revolution setting other than strategy games.
Of course, I think AC1 was a masterpiece as long as you turned off the HUD to make up for the repetitiveness, I'm probably biased. Damn kids and their wimpy ass hand holding.

The original is more or less my favourite of the series simply because of the assassination mission design:

Incidentally, non-linear mission design is an area in which the original and oft-reviled Assassin's Creed excels. Yes, your target and their general location is always the same, but it's entirely up to the player how much information they gather (beyond the requisite threshold to begin the assassination mission) and how this data is used to their advantage. This player-driven approach to assassinations is the one reason I love the original Assassin's Creed - even in the face of the monotonous tasks - and the single-most aspect I hope Ubi expand upon and bring back for AC3.

tygertrip

I can only hope they have the balls to put the entire text of "The Age of Reason" in there, or "The Jefferson Bible". Bit off-topic, but so many Americans are convinced all the "Founding Fathers" of the US were bible-beating fundamentalists... I love seeing their little bubbles burst.
And I personally think the AC series is great at filling in some actual history, despite the dramatic license. Just compare it to 99% of other games (or, god forbid, american television).
Although this will be the first AC game in a setting I actually know something about, who knows, I might be getting a pitchfork and torch once I see some inaccuracies, lol.

I'm so fucking hyped right now. Seriously, I've been asking for this setting since AC2. Man, if Thomas Paine is in this game, I won't even know how to react. My Photoshop skills aren't worthy of doing an OT, but damn, if whoever does the thread needs help with the backstory of the war and its characters, let me know. This is -- without question -- one of the most important events in the history of the modern world.

Suzzopher

I'm not offended by the cover, but I would be fuming if the portrayal of the war was for Americans freedom instead of the politically driven war orchestrated for the benefit of the new wealthy elite in America, with the common people paying the price in blood.

I think a game is a game and killing a solider from 1800's shouldn't offend anybody and it's my instinct that the vast majority of British people won't care about the cover.

If I'm wrong then I'm sad in my heart.

true, i'm not offended at all by the cover. Main guy is american, Independece war was fought by them versus the English, so why should I complain?

On the other hand, I fear for stereotypes and horrid shit like The Patriot, or a scandalous amount of wrong facts a la Braveheart, but I think those elements will not be in this game. The AC serie is hella popular in the UK

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that character design doesn't work. They should've gone for something in the vein of Brotherhood of the Wolf.

220px-Brotherhood_of_the_Wolf_Film_Poster.jpg

Yes! This would've worked so much better. I love Auditore's look in 2 but it really looks out of place in this time period

tygertrip

It was incredible. As long as one had the willpower to not use the map, it was anything but repetitive. I don't blame the haters though, this was not obvious at all, I only picked up on it from a thread on the internet. Many AC fans will never realize just how great AC1 can be, simply because the game encourages you to use the map and mapmarkers, in which it becomes a simple "follow the arrow" game. It screams of being ruined by focus-testing a bunch of dudebros.

The original is more or less my favourite of the series simply because of the assassination mission design:

I would have preferred for the game to focus on late/early 18/19th century France, but thankfully this game takes place in the same time-frame so it's not out of the realm of possibility. It would be fun to do some continent hopping in AC.

I think a game is a game and killing a solider from 1800's shouldn't offend anybody and it's my instinct that the vast majority of British people won't care about the cover.

If I'm wrong then I'm sad in my heart.

As for the American solider thing, it wouldn't fly just due to the magic that surrounds the US Army and the worship status the military gets. If it was a solider from the 1800s, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't care though.

Well, I admit when I first saw the cover, I was a bit taken aback. One of my fellow Brits getting a tomahawk to the face!? It's just not cricket! I also really don't think a hugely popular game series would ever choose to put an American soldier in that same position, no matter how justified it might be in terms of historical context. It'll also be annoying if the writers do the whole Brits=Nazis thing that Emmerich and Rodat did with The Patriot.

On the other hand, when I stop being an arse and remember it's just a game, I have to admit that the cover is pretty damn awesome. I'm more excited for this than any other instalment in the series since the hype started to build prior to the release of the first one. I think the setting will make a really refreshing change.

xpret

Neo Member
The AC franchise has managed, despite its stupidities, to bring some cultural and historical context to an industry that has largely been living in denial that what they are doing have any serious "real life" consequences.

Games are culture. Games do matter. The phrase "it's just a game" does not cut it any more and I think the AC franchise has helped change that sentiment.

Well, I admit when I first saw the cover, I was a bit taken aback. One of my fellow Brits getting a tomahawk to the face!? It's just not cricket! I also really don't think a hugely popular game series would ever choose to put an American soldier in that same position, no matter how justified it might be in terms of historical context. It'll also be annoying if the writers do the whole Brits=Nazis thing that Emmerich and Rodat did with The Patriot.

On the other hand, when I stop being an arse and remember it's just a game, I have to admit that the cover is pretty damn awesome. I'm more excited for this than any other instalment in the series since the hype started to build prior to the release of the first one. I think the setting will make a really refreshing change.

I wish a major game studio had the balls to make a game that showed American soliders as the bad guys. It would be a refreshing change of view

LuchaShaq

Banned
I am worried about that but I am sure they will include the hidden blade one way or the other

Yeah there's no reason for desmond and altair to have it but a guy inbetween not have it.

Also I hated the way guns have been used in the last few games so maybe due to stereotype the protagonist can have a bow instead.

So I played like half way through AC1 and stopped because I felt it got really repetitive. I have not played an AC game since then but I really want to get this game just to support games being set in this time period. Have the games changed alot since the first, and will I be able to catch up on what is going on by just reading a wiki or something online?

On the other hand, I fear for stereotypes and horrid shit like The Patriot, or a scandalous amount of wrong facts a la Braveheart, but I think those elements will not be in this game. The AC serie is hella popular in the UK

I don't think they'll go down the route of Americans = Good & British = Bad because in AC lore some of the US founding fathers are Templars.

Spec Ops: The Line will have american soldiers as bad guys but it'll also have american soldiers as good guys so I guess it balances out.

It's basically a reimagining of the Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now. Which makes it the most interesting military shooter to come out in a loooong time.

Petrichor

I don't think they'll go down the route of Americans = Good & British = Bad because in AC lore some of the US founding fathers are Templars.

I have no idea why that idea is even being entertained. They'll probably just address it in the same way as they did the crusades in AC1 i.e it's just going on in the background but isn't the main focus of the story, with the player assassinating templars on both sides.

Drue88

Neo Member
Great time period that will make for a great 3 game arc.

First game- The birth of an assassin during the Revolutionary War. 100% sure there will be a prison ship level.

Second game- Growing Assassin skills put to the test helping the French Revolution. (This will be the best in the trilogy. The Bastille will be one of gaming's greatest achievements.)

Third game- Napoleon, once an ally to the Assassins, has been corrupted by the Piece of Eden. Time to bring his regime down!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So I played like half way through AC1 and stopped because I felt it got really repetitive. I have not played an AC game since then but I really want to get this game just to support games being set in this time period. Have the games changed alot since the first, and will I be able to catch up on what is going on by just reading a wiki or something online?
The core game hasn't changed a lot but the formula has been refined and the sequels are much better to play with more variety. About reading the plot online, there are many details if you want to go deeper but it's very possible to get it by reading wiki summaries. I wouldn't worry too much about that though, a new numbered entry usually brings a lot of first time players and there will be people who skipped Brotherhood and/or Revelations, so I'm sure they'll try their best in helping everyone catch up with in-game dialogue and database texts.

Kem0sabe

Great time period that will make for a great 3 game arc.

First game- The birth of an assassin during the Revolutionary War. 100% sure there will be a prison ship level.

Second game- Growing Assassin skills put to the test helping the French Revolution. (This will be the best in the trilogy. The Bastille will be one of gaming's greatest achievements.)

Third game- Napoleon, once an ally to the Assassins, has been corrupted by the Piece of Eden. Time to bring his regime down!

Listen to this man/women/random internet entity. I want massive location / theme variation from game to game... Ubisoft and their one game a year cycle is screwing everything up... AC is no Fifa!

8bit

Knows the Score
Eurogamer are running a ticker/side advert that is counting down to a reveal in approximately 3 days and 1 hour 45 minutes from now.

The core game hasn't changed a lot but the formula has been refined and the sequels are much better to play with more variety. About reading the plot online, there are many details if you want to go deeper but it's very possible to get it by reading wiki summaries. I wouldn't worry too much about that though, a new numbered entry usually brings a lot of first time players and there will be people who skipped Brotherhood and/or Revelations, so I'm sure they'll try their best in helping everyone catch up with in-game dialogue and database texts.

Thanks for the reply.

a.wd

If I'm wrong then I'm sad in my heart..

I'm from the UK and I don't give a Rats ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom