• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Others have mentioned that the British are not portrayed any worse than the Colonial British.

that's definitely good to know. unless you mean they're all portrayed like arseholes

it is true

in American movies, villains are

1. Evil British
2. Evil Russians
3. Evil Muslims

But I think the real thing you have to remember is that the colonists WERE part of Britain, in very real ways. So if you try to paint all British as comically evil, what does that say about the Colonists?

And both sides committed atrocities, I agree.

But I just don't let the portrayal in hollywood (or anywhere) bother me like that because historical accuracy in films is so incredibly rare to begin with..

oh, I'm not on the barricades, mate. it's just that I've become a lot less tolerant about such bollocks. Blame Mel Gibson!

CrazyDude

that's definitely good to know. unless you mean they're all portrayed like arseholes

oh, I'm not on the barricades, mate. it's just that I've become a lot less tolerant about such bollocks. Blame Mel Gibson!

Even the evil ones are going to be portrayed in a more sympathetic light. The Templars will be closer to the ones from AC1 rather than the Borgia.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup, they pretty much considered themselves to be British until the start of the war. Even then, many consider themselves to be British. They were also British by blood.

Also, don't forget evil Nazis.

Evil Nazis...how the hell could I forget that trope. That definitely beats out Evil British in American cinema

Currygan said:
Blame Mel Gibson!

I always do!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Even the evil ones are going to be portrayed in a more sympathetic light. The Templar's will be closer to the ones from AC1 rather than the Borgia.

consider my concerns eased then. Now, to see if game's really worth it

Evil Nazis...how the hell could I forget that trope. That definitely beats out Evil British in American cinema

but Nazis were always played by British actors :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got one question, people who have the game.

Is the movement still like it was in 2? IE is it still kind of delayed and do you find the game not agreeing with the movements you intended like jumping off a tower for no reason. From what I've seen, it doesn't look like the movement controls any better which was always my problem with the previous games.

The naval and Desmond parts of the game are awesome and for some reason they look better than the main part of the game, I guess it's because they have less graphic load or maybe because the development teams are different.

Regarding Desmond, fantastic stuff, not only the gameplay (anything after ACR is awesome), the amount of exposition is huge, and for those who like the comics and the short films and all the things related to AC that are not games...... you will be very satisfied.

CrazyDude

The naval and Desmond parts of the game are awesome and for some reason they look better than the main part of the game, I guess it's because they have less graphic load or maybe because the development teams are different.

Regarding Desmond, fantastic stuff, not only the gameplay (anything after ACR is awesome), the amount of exposition is huge, and for those who like the comics and the short films and all the things related to AC that are not games...... you will be very satisfied.

Does that mean that the Connor parts are bad? Also, what version are you playing?

The dithering is so bad, and it's now becoming really distracting.

Just got to the naval section for the first time and I like it, though to some it can be tedious but it's a good change of pace. All the story twist feel like fan-fiction, but hasn't AC always been written like that? IDK

Anyways, I like it so far but it's about what I expected. Mission structure needs to change up soon though because I feel like I'm playing AC 2 again.

I got one question, people who have the game.

Is the movement still like it was in 2? IE is it still kind of delayed and do you find the game not agreeing with the movements you intended like jumping off a tower for no reason. From what I've seen, it doesn't look like the movement controls any better which was always my problem with the previous games.

You probably won't like the movement controls in this then.

Is anyone raving about this game? Seems like it's just ok. Shame.

I'm loving it. But I have been a fan of all the previous games. Take that for what you will. I just don't wanna talk about it in detail too much until its actually out. I don't care about reviews at all but I am really interested to see how all the major outlets rate this.

M.W.

I'm loving it. But I have been a fan of all the previous games. Take that for what you will. I just don't wanna talk about it in detail too much until its actually out. I don't care about reviews at all but I am really interested to see how all the major outlets rate this.

Yay!

I have a feeling this will rate in the high 8's.

Does that mean that the Connor parts are bad? Also, what version are you playing?

No, no at all, the Connor parts are great too, but I'm just surprised about Desmond because it was less cool and interesting in previous games, and the naval stuff, it's new and refreshing.

The game does have a lot of strange glitches....we will see.

Yep, for a AAA game, it lacks polish in many areas, if you can ignore that, the game is a blast. Anyway, for me at least those glitches and lack of polish don't ruin the game.

The game it's too big and abitious, I think it needed more development time in the technical aspects.

Yeah, how would you rank it in terms of others in the series.

Below Brotherhood, which for me was the only game that had me by the balls, and where I spent a lot of doing ding side missions. I don't think the city is as well made as in 2, but there is more variety in this one.

Is there much more Desmond sections than previously ?

Not really, but they are more meaningful this time, since they are actual platforming missions where you go do stuff.

No, no at all, the Connor parts are great too, but I'm just surprised about Desmond because it was less cool and interesting in previous games, and the naval stuff, it's new and refreshing.

Yep, for a AAA game, it lacks polish in many areas, if you can ignore that, the game is a blast. Anyway, for me at least those glitches and lack of polish don't ruin the game.

The game it's too big and abitious, I think it needed more development time in the technical aspects.

Really interesting you found Desmond's stuff that enjoyable, because I totally felt like they screwed up on it, and didn't do enough with it, but yes, the naval stuff us really fun and well done.

And glitches everywhere, I suspect I lost out on some vital narrative stuff in the end due to a glitch, and I had a mission which was made three times as difficult due to glitches.

Most than anything I enjoying the views and the story, specially how much info they give you when you play with Desmond, always compared to the past games of course.

Thats true, they are more up front with info. I still think the gameplay segments with him are terrible.

so kayos told me Conner isn't too hot of a main character. Anyone else agree with that?

Never been much of a fan of pussy mc's that have no brains and just fetch quest for whomever.

diamount

Banned
I only want to know one thing:

Is Washington secretly a Templar
Because if so that has to be the most uncreative thing to do with that character.

SRTtoZ

You rate this below brotherhood?? Yikes, I think im gonna wait on picking this up and just go with Liberation in the meantime.

You rate this below brotherhood?? Yikes, I think im gonna wait on picking this up and just go with Liberation in the meantime.

But for him Brotherhood was the best in the series, so it's still high praise.

Ubisoft should have of borrowed a lot of Red Dead's mechanics for this game though, It would have worked really well considering the similarities.

I can't go into a lot of detail due to embargo's, but someone asked me and I answered. To me Brotherhood is the best the series has to offer, and it was the only game in the series that really had me and made me go through all of the side content.

I also have a large weak spot for 1, since I think it had the best art in the series and the more interesting Desmond story. But as always, everything is totally subjective. It is just my opinion, and if you enjoyed another AC game more then Brotherhood it's hard to put in perspective whether or not 3 will rank higher or lower then your given favorite AC game.

Still no luck in picking this up early (Liverpool, UK)...
Someone said Sainsburys but the 2 in the City Centre don't sell any games at all.

:(

Even if I could find somewhere to sell me it early, I have a deposit on it at Game and a gift card with money to pay for it. I have a shit load of university work to do anyway so it is probably a good thing I cant get my hands on it till thursday.

The game it's too big and ambitious, I think it needed more development time in the technical aspects.

And glitches everywhere, I suspect I lost out on some vital narrative stuff in the end due to a glitch, and I had a mission which was made three times as difficult due to glitches.

Didn't 600 people work on this game?

Do Ubisoft not have a User Research centre like Microsoft with Halo?

Didn't 600 people work on this game?

Do Ubisoft not have a User Research centre like Microsoft with Halo?

Glitches aren't equal to manpower. Creating assets, music, animation and so on takes a lot of time and people. That there are a lot of glitches and technical errors really isn't affected by that, it's just a very typical consequence of going open world. The player can do so much crazy shit that its hard to do QA in a way that works like Halo or another non-open game.

SJRB

Gold Member
All this talk about glitches is somewhat worrying.

AC series had its share of jank but I don't remember anyone ever talking about of of the games as "having a lot of glitches".

All this talk about glitches is somewhat worrying.

AC series had its share of jank but I don't remember anyone ever talking about of of the games as "having a lot of glitches".

I think it will be different for everyone. I talked to some other reviewers and they never experienced what I did and vice versa. In the previous games I never experienced any glitches, so it can be different for everyone.

I wonder if this is like, "open world glitches 101" or "yeah this is glitchy even for an open-world game".

I'm someone who takes sick pleasure in hilarious, non-game-breaking glitches like flying people in Red Dead and ghost cars in GTA, but if the game is just buggy as fuck to the point where it's hard to actually continue through the game that'll suck.

This thread is getting dangerous.

I've already watched the first hour of the game on YouTube and have heard about the rumours of where Desmond goes, plus have seen the achievements, all from this thread.

I wish I hadn't.

ShopTo dispatched my game on Saturday. Hopefully that means I get it tomorrow.

I'm doing some work from home today, so that means I'll only have to be at work for half a day tomorrow.

Now if only if comes tomorrow. *Crosses fingers*

You wont get it tomorrow.

Everyone from ShopTo got the email with the photo of the item in its parcel, but ShopTo tweeted that they dont have saturday pick ups for the post and said that it will be dispatched on Monday.

Earliest we can get it from them is Tuesday.

You wont get it tomorrow.

Everyone from ShopTo got the email with the photo of the item in its parcel, but ShopTo tweeted that they dont have saturday pick ups for the post and said that it will be dispatched on Monday.

Earliest we can get it from them is Tuesday.

Great. I should ask to get half of Tuesday of instead of tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I have enough impressions by now to officially call it a disappointment. Ah well I guess it's better than me going in excited and finding out it's yet another AAA disappointment myself.

Persona86

Banned
I think I have enough impressions by now to officially call it a disappointment. Ah well I guess it's better than me going in excited and finding out it's yet another AAA disappointment myself.
Yeah I'm gonna buy it when it gets cheap. Who knows I might be pleasantly surprised by then.

Top Bottom