• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

Hindle

Banned
Reading some of these reviews has put me off the game. They say if put a step out of line during the missions you fail. Linear crap basically. Fuck Ubisoft.

Edit, the CVG mentions there are no assassination missions no more, just fetch quests and fucking chase missions. If the guards spot you during the missions, it's game over as well!

jett

D-Member
Dat franchise fatigue.

Well... Too many to list. Like the sound mixing for character voices of allthe homestead missions that goes down compared to the rest of the game, the fact that you have crowd appearing/disappearing in front of you all the time, the annoying shadow shimmering, the few instances where you have to restart a mission because you stepped a few inches from the main path and your character decided you MUST want to jump on that house/tree/whatever and your prey gets away, things like that.
Absolutely nothing major, but many many small things. You can clearly see that they went through a lot of triage for all the bugs and decided to only fix what's actually impacting the game experience, and leave the rest because they are out of time.

bububu how can they be out of time, they've been making this game for 3 years, amirite!?

lol at ubisoft's bullshit.

StuBurns

Banned
Is it still block then counter to win every fight though? That's the big issue.

I don't think I died once in 2 or Bros from combat.

antitrop

It seems to kick ass, I'm glad to hear it.

Also "Hardcore Gamer"'s review shouldn't be included with the scores. After the flag deal, I will never take any scores from that outlet seriously.

ekim

It seems to kick ass, I'm glad to hear it.

Also "Hardcore Gamer"'s review shouldn't be included with the scores. After the flag deal, I will never take any scores from that outlet seriously.

That flag eBay link was added by a quotefaking gaffer here. ;)

tumblr_m6mq1ehzN61qee5j1.gif

Wow, that really is a lot of hyperbole. Of wait, this guy is apparently the hack selling the $2,000 ACIII flag on Ebay. Lol. Had this preordered and picked it up today. Looking forward to playing right after I finish Dishonored. I'm glad there's at least some reviews in here that are actually critical of the game and seem honest.
Agree.
I would be embarrassed to type such a review for a deity that just showed up in front of my eyes.

braves01

Banned
From the GT review it looks like another Assassin's Creed game, which translates to jack of many trades master of none imo. I still have fun with them though, especially since historical fiction in games is such a rarity.

antitrop

I'm watching the Giant Bomb stream.

Desmond has to be one of the ugliest and weirdest looking characters in all of gaming.

Derrick01

Banned
Reading some of these reviews has put me off the game. They say if put a step out of line during the missions you fail. Linear crap basically. Fuck Ubisoft.

Edit, the CVG mentions there are no assassination missions no more, just fetch quests and fucking chase missions. If the guards spot you during the missions, it's game over as well!

That's a horrible idea in a game like AC with extremely poor stealth mechanics and usually stiff controls.

Syriel

Haha wow @ Hardcore Gamer quotes.

"It will blow you away.
If you want to own a piece of the gaming event of the generation, check out my auction."

Everything is magnificently awesome and revolutionarily perfect, not a single blemish to be pointed out or criticized.

Anyway, I'll wait for the PC version. Although I'll probably cancel my pre-order and wait for impressions in case it's a buggy, unoptimized piece of crap.

Please tell me someone has a screencap of the original, unedited, review complete with auction text.

Muffdraul

This is not new to AC, spotted = mission fail has been around at least since AC2, for certain missions.

Beck

Please tell me someone has a screencap of the original, unedited, review complete with auction text.

What's on the site is the original. The auction thing was VibratingDonkey editorializing on the hyperbolic quote.

Syriel

What's on the site is the original. The auction thing was VibratingDonkey editorializing on the hyperbolic quote.

Ah. Was going to say, that would have been beyond over-the-top given the events of the last week.

Not like that review text isn't hyperbolic enough already.

antitrop

Again: that deal isn't in the review and never was ;)
I care so little about Hardcore Gamer that even if it isn't true, I still don't care about their opinion.
I mean, I've never heard of them before this anyway, so nothing changes.

After reading their review for the game, I find it hard to believe. They are far, far too glowing and positive about the game, proclaiming it is nearly perfect and has almost no flaws.

That's bullshit, I don't buy it for a second. Even if the game is a 5/5 it still has issues worth mentioning in an objective review. I can't take it seriously, otherwise.

TheMan

to those who have played this: if I was starting to feel series fatigue after revelations, should i wait before getting this or is it different enough to warrant a look now?

Halcyon

to those who have played this: if I was starting to feel series fatigue after revelations, should i wait before getting this or is it different enough to warrant a look now?

It has different stuff but I think it also is a lot alike. I found myself running around Boston killing guards and being kinda bored.

ekim

I care so little about Hardcore Gamer that even if it isn't true, I still don't care about their opinion.
I mean, I've never heard of them before this anyway, so nothing changes.

After reading their review for the game, I find it hard to believe. They are far, far too glowing and positive about the game, proclaiming it is nearly perfect and has almost no flaws.

That's bullshit, I don't buy it for a second. Even if the game is a 5/5 it still has issues worth mentioning in an objective review. I can't take it seriously, otherwise.

I totally agree. :)

Ledsen

Disappointed that this seems to retain and expand the problems in ac2 and assbro while not doing anything particularly new or exciting. I'll pass until the $5 steam sale :(

ekim

It seems I'm lucky with only having played brotherhood (not even finished it) - I'm totally loving the game so far. But I can see the point of feeling exhausted if most of the gameplay is recycled from the past games.

It sounds like Ubisoft still hasn't realized what's good about the series.

You do not need to spend the first 3 hours of the game sending the player on fetch quests and having them walk next to other people. I'm not going to be surprised when the tutorial is just as stiff and slow-paced as every game in the series. And also, stabbing people, maybe? Brotherhood was one of the worst offenders, constantly asking you to do ridiculous crap like carry a chest of money across Rome while taking instructions from guards and then giving you no freedom whatsoever when it came time to actually assassinate somebody.

K' Dash

I do not pay 60 bucks for a game anymore, but I will pay them to Ubisoft because this franchise is one of the most fun out there, every holiday I wait for my AC annual dose and NEVER have been dissappointed.

Wait! HOOOOOLD UP!

There aren't many assassination missions in this game like AC 1? You'd think they would return to that. Keep in mind, game was so bad that never played AC after that because they stopped having mission design like that which was my personal preference.

That was the only good part of the first game was that Hitman-like gameplay and climbing around Acre to get a clean death-from-above without anyone knowing I was there.

Apparently there still are, but it's not Hitman-like anymore, more linear. Still sucks.

Are there still assassinations?

Really, it's too bad they abandoned the idea behind AC1 so quickly, it just needed polish. If the missions were about taking out a target in some difficult unique area (like Hitman) and there were a bunch of ways to get more info or access new ways inside to do it through side missions, it would have been awesome.

Brotherhood and Revelations (rented both) were just so... average

Yep, but there's a really well defined stealth path often times. And if you don't take those paths you tend to trigger enemies quite easily. AC3 probably has one of the worse detection systems too. If you want a hitman play hitman since nothing still touches Blood Money. All the info collecting is predetermine, and the mission structure is the same boring "walk and easedrop." in AC3, just fancier looking.

Top Bottom