• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

This hardcoregamer site is on metacritic?

Why bother wasting money trying to bribe out the bigger sites when it's way easier to do it for all the other sites on metacritic.

Did you ever take video game reviews seriously?
Personally, no, but now there's a great deal of cynicism when I even glimpse at them. I never really had an interest in going by what some reviewer says. A lot of my favorite games are lesser quality adventure games which get man-handled by modern outlets.

Vire

I didn't remember any bug that really impacted my experience, except one that's listed in the day 0 patch notes as fixed.
AC3 definitely lacks polish, it seems they were overambitious in terms of content (seriously, the number of completely optional stuff in this game is *insane*) and simply had to leave many unpolished things here and there so they could ship on time.

What in particular felt unpolished to you?

KingKong

It's a real shame that AC is basically a simple action game now. I was hoping they would at least redesign it if they were going into a new setting, but it sounds like they're just packed in even more minigames and mission gimmicks

It's a real shame that AC is basically a simple action game now. I was hoping they would at least redesign it if they were going into a new setting, but it sounds like they're just packed in even more minigames and mission gimmicks

No, AC3 has a lot of stealth mechanics and stealth oriented missions. It's just really badly implemented.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
What in particular felt unpolished to you?

Well... Too many to list. Like the sound mixing for character voices of allthe homestead missions that goes down compared to the rest of the game, the fact that you have crowd appearing/disappearing in front of you all the time, the annoying shadow shimmering, the few instances where you have to restart a mission because you stepped a few inches from the main path and your character decided you MUST want to jump on that house/tree/whatever and your prey gets away, things like that.
Absolutely nothing major, but many many small things. You can clearly see that they went through a lot of triage for all the bugs and decided to only fix what's actually impacting the game experience, and leave the rest because they are out of time.

KingKong

No, AC3 has a lot of stealth mechanics and stealth oriented missions. It's just really badly implemented.

Are there still assassinations?

Really, it's too bad they abandoned the idea behind AC1 so quickly, it just needed polish. If the missions were about taking out a target in some difficult unique area (like Hitman) and there were a bunch of ways to get more info or access new ways inside to do it through side missions, it would have been awesome.

Brotherhood and Revelations (rented both) were just so... average

this game has definitely reviewed worse than i had expected it to.

Come now...

Assassin’s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it’s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It’s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution.

Are there still assassinations?

Really, it's too bad they abandoned the idea behind AC1 so quickly, it just needed polish. If the missions were about taking out a target in some difficult unique area (like Hitman) and there were a bunch of ways to get more info or access new ways inside to do it through side missions, it would have been awesome.

Brotherhood and Revelations (rented both) were just so... average

Yep, but there's a really well defined stealth path often times. And if you don't take those paths you tend to trigger enemies quite easily. AC3 probably has one of the worse detection systems too. If you want a hitman play hitman since nothing still touches Blood Money. All the info collecting is predetermine, and the mission structure is the same boring "walk and easedrop." in AC3, just fancier looking.

ironcreed

Banned
Not going to lie, a lot of the side missions are much better design than the main game and more fun.

I'm surprise only Joystiq seems to mention it.

This could make up for there being fewer assassinations for me and would be better than the game being squarely about assassinations. I'll have to see for myself when I dig in later on.

Interfectum

Assassin’s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it’s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It’s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution.

So basically this will be me when I turn on AC3:

ibiw2PjJbinSe8.gif

ironcreed

Banned

Jesus Christ.

0034.gif

Socreges

Banned
Is this an actual paragraph that someone wrote or was it just a collection of masturbatory sentences from a reviewer? Either way, impossible to take seriously.

Prine

Banned
One thing that impacted my experience of AssCreed 2 was its easy combat. I dont mind if you have easy way to kill enemies, but having a life gauge that is never really under threat is bad game design, there was no struggle for me. It was a step back from how AssCreed 1 handled punishment when facing foes.

I pray theres some challenge to the combat in AssCreed 3, and that enemies can take out a lot of your health if you not too careful.

ekim

Glad to see it turned out good. Always been a fan of the series, even during the "low" points of Revelations. The story and the combat have always been interesting and fun, but to me, this series has always been about immersion, and this game looks to deliver in that regard. Can't wait to get my copy in the mail and for the PC release.

Definitely! Playing AC3 with stereo 3D is the most immersive experience this year for me.
And boston in the winter setting and at night... <3

Haha wow @ Hardcore Gamer quotes.
Everything is magnificently awesome and revolutionarily perfect, not a single blemish to be pointed out or criticized.

Anyway, I'll wait for the PC version. Although I'll probably cancel my pre-order and wait for impressions in case it's a buggy, unoptimized piece of crap.

Please remove that quote from OP. What a fucking shill, even have the guts to pimp his auction.

Unless it's there to be mocked... then carry on!

The review even tries to advertise his/her own Ebay auction.
Just in case you're not going along with the joke; that was me editorializing. Sorry for any accidental misinformation there. Edited to make it more clear hopefully.

Did a doublecheck just in case, because...jeesh.

Beck

Just in case you're not going along with the joke; that was me editorializing. Sorry for any accidental misinformation there. Edited to make it more clear hopefully.

Did a doublecheck just in case, because...jeesh.

I was wondering where all this auction talk was coming from.

Dennis

Banned
I didn't remember any bug that really impacted my experience, except one that's listed in the day 0 patch notes as fixed.
AC3 definitely lacks polish, it seems they were overambitious in terms of content (seriously, the number of completely optional stuff in this game is *insane*) and simply had to leave many unpolished things here and there so they could ship on time.

I agree with this, I'm much more enjoying all the side content than the main story.

hahaha, this post actually makes me more excited for the game than any review.

mxgt

Banned

wtf_applaud_gifkvk7o.gif

That Joystiq review quote makes me sad, because its exactly how I've felt about the series:

It's sad to see the game lose sight of its assassin role-playing ideals in favor of bombast, bomb blasts and pig herding, so I hope this is but a momentary stumble while the franchise regains its balance. Trim the excess, remember the central thrust (hint: it's with a knife) and then you'll have a great game again. Assassin's Creed 3 is the kind of game that's just good enough to make you wish it was better. (Just don't get me started on the ending.)

I was fully engaged when the game was more about stealth, of avoiding combat except for taking down your target, and doing so quickly, invisibly, and then disappearing afterwards. Ya know, that whole "creed" thing.

Every installment has just added more action movie trappings, and less reward for a plan well executed (if you can execute a plan at all).

Seems like I can skip on what was probably my favorite new series this gen.

What's up with reviewers doing their job recently? When did this happen? I'm like, reading actual complaints about an anticipated game. I don't know how to handle this.
Yeah, I'm one of the guys who loved RE6 and I like the game got a very mixed reception. Even for a game I like, reviews pointing out flaws or how some people might not like it is way more interesting than the superlative sycophantic tripe we've been reading for years.

JebusF

Neo Member
At one point whilst playing this game for review, I (in an empty house) shouted really loudly "Just go straight, you stupid c**t horse!?!?".

It's a good game, but by God, it has issues.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
At one point whilst playing this game for review, I (in an empty house) shouted really loudly "Just go straight, you stupid c**t horse!?!?".

It's a good game, but by God, it has issues.

I saw in the kotaku review that the horses are near useless

JebusF

Neo Member
It made me SO angry. The forest areas are so long, so you use a horse, then the horse gets stuck on scenery, so you get off and it becomes Lord of the Rings, the game.

I swear, the cut-scenes are approaching MGS levels, too.

Bedlam

Man, just watched a few of the videos ("elk hunting" and "tree climbing", for example) and I gotta say this game looks pretty rough. The vegetation looks not nearly as good as the initial screenshots made me believe it would. Also, some serious clipping issues while climbing trees it seems (Connor swinging through branches).

Hardcore Gamer 5/5

Assassin&#8217;s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it&#8217;s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It&#8217;s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution.

tumblr_m6mq1ehzN61qee5j1.gif

Wow, that really is a lot of hyperbole. Lol. Had this preordered and picked it up today. Looking forward to playing right after I finish Dishonored. I'm glad there's at least some reviews in here that are actually critical of the game and seem honest.

Top Bottom