• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

Zeliard

Combat is a somewhat simplified version of the counter and chain kill systems introduced in previous games. Ostensibly this makes playing Assassin's Creed 3 easier, though it never felt particularly dumbed down.

How did they manage to make shallow and easy combat even shallower and easier?

That's quite the feat.

DangerStepp

I haven't played an AC since II; got burned out to where I didn't want to play the sub sequels.

I'm actually looking forward to this one and glad to see it's getting decent scores as unsurprising as it is.

Kade

Why does every vita review read like they are reviewing the game as if it was played on a console. Seems unfair. Imagine if every console game was compared to pc games.

When they advertise every Vita game as a "console experience on the go", then the comparisons are to be expected.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Damn at those Liberation scores. 3 seems like it probably won't be getting the rush of GotY awards I thought it would based on the E3 preview which means no game has set itself as a clear standout for GotY

It will still win GotY awards.

It will still win GotY awards.

Sure, but it won't set itself out like Skyrim did last year. Hell I doubt it gets as many as Red Dead or Mass Effect 2 the year before. It seems like end of generationitis struck hard this year. Halo 4 might be a good surprise though.

Well I don't want to spoil stuff but
for example, helpind out the homestead folks, nets you more items from them, which in turn you use to trade, and in turn build stuff up. Peg legs trinkets are used to collect missions from him from a legendary treasure, etc.
They have there place and I feel they are fun, and offer solid reasons to play complete them. It's a far cry from AC1 flag hunt = jack crap.

Sounds great.

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like it will between AC 1 and Brotherhood. Not sure if Ubisoft is happy with that. Especially considering how long it was in development.

They probably have no one to blame but themselves too. What did they expect when they whore the franchise out every year and are too afraid of drastically changing it?

Why does every vita review read like they are reviewing the game as if it was played on a console. Seems unfair. Imagine if every console game was compared to pc games.

It's not only marketed, but designed as being a console game on a handheld. Comparing it to actual console titles is perfectly fair.

Xater

The GAF backlash against this game is going to be tremendous

All the big games this year have been a disappointment for me so far. This gen has been going on for too long...

As for AC3: I just started playing and I already don't like the boring architecture and the slow start to the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
All the big games this year have been a disappointment for me so far. This gen has been going on for too long...

As for AC3: I just started playing and I already don't like the boring architecture and the slow start to the game.

The length of the generation has noooothing to do with that. Its publishers/developers not wanting/being able to take any risks with game design.

It's not only marketed, but designed as being a console game on a handheld. Comparing it to actual console titles is perfectly fair.

Even on a graphical level? Cmon now. Every reviewer states it succeeds at delivering an AC experience on the go yet dock it for not being as fully realized in areas ot can't be with regards to the console version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How did they manage to make shallow and easy combat even shallower and easier?

That's quite the feat.
My game is all delivered and I'm waiting to get home but this is what I'm most scared about.

Streamlining combat is exactly the opposite of what this franchise needed, and that's very disappointing if true. The problem is that there is no deep strategic backbone to compensate for a lot of that too, so I'm praying to god they've stepped up their encounter design tenfold, but I doubt it.

Xater

The length of the generation has noooothing to do with that. Its publishers/developers not wanting/being able to take any risks with game design.

The thing is, they usually only try new stuff when a new gen comes around. This series now having released it's fifth game in the series released this gen doesn't help. I skipped Revelations and so far I don't think I have seen much new in this game. Granted I have played like 2 hours of it, but I expected bigger changes for a numbered sequel.

Viewed early parts of the game and there is too much hand holding. It's interesting from a historical perspective but the gameplay mechanics aren't deep enough to keep me interested.

Way to judge an epic sprawling game based on the tutorial. Shouldn't be a surprise here, each of the AC games have a multi-hour prologue/introduction sequence that opens the story and serves as a gameplay tutorial.

Most people have an opinion on AC games by now. And ACIII was never going to be such a massive reinvention that it would change their minds.

What would worry me is if actual fans of the series had problems with the game, not all those people who already don't really like it.

Daft_Cat

Wow. Seeing sustained gameplay footage from the release version is actually kind of shocking. Game looks like shit. Muddy, and full of pop-in.

I swear it looks worse than the last few games. We really need new hardware.

Kifimbo

Looks like the series stopped getting better after Patrice left (after Brotherhood). Correlation or causation, who knows.

Bgamer90

Banned
After hearing sort of mixed reactions (game sounds good but not "live up to its hype" good), I'm just going to wait for the (inevitable) price drop to get this.

The fact that I still haven't fully finished previous AC games adds on to me being perfectly fine with waiting for the price drop.

Even on a graphical level? Cmon now. Every reviewer states it succeeds at delivering an AC experience on the go yet dock it for not being as fully realized in areas ot can't be with regards to the console version.

Okay, graphics maybe not quite so much. Scope? Polish? Production values? Absolutely.

Where is it getting docked for looking worse than the console versions? In fact, the graphics seem to be the part everyone universally praises.

Good enough for me. Can't wait to play this when I get home.

People were kind of dissing on AC: Revelations too, but I think it was, overall, the best story in the series and despite the Tower Defense segments being unnecessary (and avoidable), it was an experience I wouldn't have traded for anything, and AC3 looks like it's shaping up to be much the same.

Prologue

IGN said that Desmond's story lacks a satisfying ending. Isn't this the last game for Desmond?Are we talking about the level of ME3 here again?

Vire

Seems about what I thought.

Not the revolution some were hoping. Over hyped, under-delivered. Oh well, should still be good winter break romp.

Daft_Cat

How so? (Can't watch it right now.)

They gave it a 9.2 right?

They loved it. I think that poster just means the game looks rough graphically..and it definitely does.

To my eyes, it looks like it's a step down from 2/Brotherhood/Revelations in terms of visuals. So much for the new engine.

Top Bottom