• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

BearPawB

Banned
people get worked up about late review reveals, but it almost never turns out badly.

MOH is a diff story, it didnt even get shipped

Doesn't that seem shorter than the previous "numbered" games in the series?

I don't recall the first game taking me long at all. I know 2 was a beast though with the story missions. I can't say how long just a main mission run will take though. I'm not rushing the game in the slightest. I easily espect 25-30 hours with this total for me.

The game releases tomorrow morning in the us, basically at the same time that the embargo is lifted, and then everywhere else on 31st, unless I'm mistaken.
Ubisoft has been doing this for all AC games since AC2 (can't remember AC1), it's no indication of the quality, or lack of.

Game has a midnight launch at all major retailers.

Someone could finish the story before the review embargo is up.

Balehead

Id be shocked if it scores/averages above 8 from the big outlets. (Disclaimer: I'm only 10 hours in)

Wasn't Revelations the 'worst' AC game and even that seems to be sitting at a solid 80 on Metacritic. This is one has a whole new number(3) in its name and a fair amount of hype, I'd be surprised if it scores below 80 even if it's a bad game.

Squire

Banned
Odd that the embargo breaks tomorrow during the day

AC 3 seems to be a big enough game to warrant reviews ahead of time

Size doesn't warrant an early embargo, confidence does. The embargo for Halo 4, for instance, lifts Thirsday night. They know they have a good game on their hands.

What are they pegging the length at?

Finished it in 11 hours and 20 minutes doing only main story. It's going to be interesting to see how the reviewers experience the game outside the US, since it is set in a time period that is not really talked about that heavily in Europe, so maybe there will be a stronger disconnect?

wait, wait what?! O_O

Hopefully, RE6 and the new MoH are turning the tide on that... Hopefully.

Don't go crazy, it's a good game. But if you are expecting the biggest revolution ever, you are going to be disappointed.

So gameplay wise, what's the bullet point differences? Any combat changes?

It's closer to Arkham this time in terms of flow and the way you play. It's not a direct rip-off but the inspiration is clear.

K.Sabot

If an embargo ends after the game is released, then you have something to hide or you aren't confident in your product.

If they aren't confident in it, then I'm not confident in it.

The GAF impressions have given me enough to know I won't be buying this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not expecting a revolution, but teh guys tone seems more negative than that is all.

The game seems to have a slower start and he seems to have gripes with the game still telling you about stuff like ripping down wanted posters after you're a handful of hours in like previous AC games. It seems to take awhile to open up.

There's also plenty of people in the OT loving it, so I don't think there's much to worry about if you like AC and what you've seen of 3 so far.

AHA-Lambda

The game seems to have a slower start and he seems to have gripes with the game still telling you about stuff like ripping down wanted posters after you're a handful of hours in like previous AC games. It seems to take awhile to open up.

There's also plenty of people in the OT loving it, so I don't think there's much to worry about if you like AC and what you've seen of 3 so far.

Ah that's fair enough then, I've not been in the OT.

Fjordson

88-89 on Metacritic. Calling it!

I'm not as excited about this as I was like a week ago. Have a few friends that are playing it and they like it, but supposedly it's not really a big step up from the Ezio trilogy. Guess we'll see when Gamefly delivers my copy on Wednesday.

88-89 on Metacritic. Calling it!

I'm not as excited about this as I was like a week ago. Have a few friends that are playing it and they like it, but supposedly it's not really a big step up from the Ezio trilogy. Guess we'll see when Gamefly delivers my copy on Wednesday.

Not to give away my review but here is a quote from it "There are just enough new features and ideas combined with the existing formula to make this feel worthy of a new numbered entry in the series. "

Just my 2 cents though. I know alot of people will have varied opinions.

seat

I'm having trouble buying a noon embargo is more telling of a poor game than the usual midnight one. Anyone care to cite some previous examples?

Vire

Not to give away my review but here is a quote from it "There are just enough new features and ideas combined with the existing formula to make this feel worthy of a new numbered entry in the series. "

Just my 2 cents though. I know alot of people will have varied opinions.

I want to believe you, but you have a RE6 avatar.

TheOddOne

At7addak: A must have.
For me personally, I absolutely loved the story, plot and the conspiracies around it. I do not wish to talk much about the story because I believe you should experience it for yourself. If you're a conspiracy buff, especially for the New World Order, Templars and the Free Masons, this will be a home run.

Of course there are a few things that weren't up to par in the game. The aiming system is kind of weird. Right when you press to zoom, the crosshair by default would always aim right to the ground and not in the direction I am facing. This proved annoying, especially for me since I used the bow a lot in direct combat.

With such an expansive open world, comes open world glitches. Like floating weapons and dead animals. Small graphical issues. In one of the scenes, we all raise a toast and 2 out of 5 of those characters were not carrying cups. The camera also would lock into place or would be in an awkward angle where I cannot see Connor at all.

These flaws are absolutely nothing when compared to the size of the game. That is the price you pay for such a huge open game. All in all, I don't think you need to hear it from me, Assassins Creed 3 is a must-have for all types of gamers. You will learn much about the American Revolution and its history in addition to a crazy and an unrivaled experience in the game. A definite must-have.

Top Bottom