• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

From the Eurogamer review

Where have they been? It hasn't been like that since AC1.

It's always been like that.

You've always been able to go the silent, deadly route, or full on action hero through the front gate style. It's just been up to the player, not the game.

In my opinion, anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like some of the bugs knocked it down a peg for some, despite still getting good scores. Good thing there is a meaty day one patch. Can't wait to pop my copy in later on.

Let's face it, 7.5 ain't a good score these days, yet he makes the game sound awesome to me (other than the side stuff not really having much pay-off).

Which I find personally interesting as I really have enjoyed the side quests immensly and more so then in other open world games.

Derrick01

Banned
It's always been like that.

You've always been able to go the silent, deadly route, or full on action hero through the front gate style. It's just been up to the player, not the game.

In my opinion, anyway.

It's never been much of a stealth game. I mean they didn't even have a lean against walls or crouch feature until this game, and going by the review it seems to be really clunky and attempting to be stealthy usually fails.

It's not really a problem either since I never considered this a stealth series. It was always one of these AAA action games like Uncharted that have some minor stealth elements thrown in. Really the biggest disappointment is that after the game's director was talking all that shit about them not making this piss easy for casuals the combat is still block/counter to win.

Zia

Hm, seems to be doing pretty well, but many of those scores are sub-85. I don't think these writers understand just how much money Ubisoft has put into ACIII.

Which I find personally interesting as I really have enjoyed the side quests immensly and more so then in other open world games.

I love AC's side stuff too, often more than the main sequences. But it's always a sign of good design when it feels like you're properly rewarded for doing side stuff. Means it's well integrated into the campaign. He seems to suggest this isn't the case. But I'm not too worried. AC games are always about the journey for me, not the destination.

Moze

Banned
Hm, seems to be doing pretty well, but many of those scores are sub-85. I don't think these writers understand just how much money Ubisoft has put into ACIII.

they pretty much bought E3

all i remember from E3 was AC3 in EVERY FUCKING CONFERENCE

ironcreed

Banned

Well, at least they are not giving it 9.5's across the board just because of that. These look like more realistic scores for a game that is great, but has a few warts and niggles.

DaBuddaDa

I have an irrational adoration for the AC series, so hearing this one is huge and not complete shit is plenty enough to put my hype through the roof.

It's never been much of a stealth game. I mean they didn't even have a lean against walls or crouch feature until this game, and going by the review it seems to be really clunky and attempting to be stealthy usually fails.

It's not really a problem either since I never considered this a stealth series. It was always one of these AAA action games like Uncharted that have some minor stealth elements thrown in. Really the biggest disappointment is that after the game's director was talking all that shit about them not making this piss easy for casuals the combat is still block/counter to win.

No the 1st game definitely was not trying to be a AAA action game. It was just a victim of a bunch of poor design decisions. It's just that the combat was so incredibly easy that the player never got punished for not playing the game stealthily.

I love AC's side stuff too, often more than the main sequences. But it's always a sign of good design when it feels like you're properly rewarded for doing side stuff. Means it's well integrated into the campaign. He seems to suggest this isn't the case. But I'm not too worried. AC games are always about the journey for me, not the destination.

Well I don't want to spoil stuff but
for example, helpind out the homestead folks, nets you more items from them, which in turn you use to trade, and in turn build stuff up. Peg legs trinkets are used to collect missions from him from a legendary treasure, etc.
They have there place and I feel they are fun, and offer solid reasons to play complete them. It's a far cry from AC1 flag hunt = jack crap.

I have an irrational adoration for the AC series, so hearing this one is huge and not complete shit is plenty enough to put my hype through the roof.

Yeah, this is how I feel.

They could put out one of these games every month and I would buy and play every one with a stupid grin on my face.

I'm so happy I get a double dose this time with 3 and 3:L

Cheska

At least most of them seem to agree it was a positive experience, which I think in the end is the most important aspect.

DaBuddaDa

It's just a fact.

Scores are not analogous across sites and reviewers. Destructoid explicitly lays out exactly what their number means:

"Good: A solid game that definitely has an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun."

Kade

I really liked Revelations despite the exclusion of the awesome brain teasers from Brotherhood and being easy as fuck overall. Anyone know if this game brings those back?

Damn at those Liberation scores. 3 seems like it probably won't be getting the rush of GotY awards I thought it would based on the E3 preview which means no game has set itself as a clear standout for GotY

Top Bottom