• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Wii U version thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a weird system crash today. Luckily this game saves after everything.

Also, I wish they could have pushed the fog a bit more in this version.

That said, I'm still having a lot of fun.

Wii U version looks sharper than PS4.
The Wii U version looks better to me against the PS4 one.
As has been noted, the PS4/360 shots were pulled from compressed YouTube videos, put against a direct feed still. It's not a good comparison.

MmBkPNZ.jpg

Wii U version clearly has better textures than the 360 version and matches PS4 version. Heck looking at it again, it looks sharper than the PS4 version, only by a little though.
That's the worst example you can use as evidence, as said before. It's not a fair or straight comparison.

The WiiU looks a step above current gen, but a step below next-gen, in texture detail and clarity. It certainly shows the hardware is more capable than the older HD twins, but let's not get carried away.

prag16

Banned
PS3/WiiU comparison video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pL4lQdbyo

I think the Wii U version definitely gets the edge, but the difference isn't massive. Textures and lighting are slightly more pleasing to my eye. There are also a few places where the PS3 framerate bogs down and Wii U does not, but who knows, that could just be the capture rather than the game itself.

It being delayed makes it more likely to come out? Wut? I'm really lost on what you're saying now.

I think he's saying that the Wii U version may have gotten sacked so that the other versions could make the original release date. But now that all SKUs are delayed, they'll have enough resources to finish the Wii U version as well.

I know he has some inside info on NPD numbers, but not sure what else.

What he didn't answer is my original question...

John, is this just speculation (or an "educated guess" if you want to call it), or did you actually hear some inside info?

fernoca

Doubt Watch_Dogs was getting sacked. Heck, the uPlay app on Wii U had the game already there and you could even buy stuff for the game with the uPlay points. Though is no confirmation, it kinda shows that the Wii U version was still on track for the November release as the others.

If anything I'd say the delay was to make sure the "next gen versions" were better and to polish the others too. The PS4 version was receiving a lot of flack for not been close to the original reveal and a ton of problems with framerate, and the apparently leaked footage of the "current gen versions" also received flack for having some stuff completely changed or removed (like that thing on the main characters cap). Then a week later, the game was delayed...so close to the actual release on a time game's are usually gold and by a publisher that in the past had no problems releasing games with bugs and glitches.

On-topic, I'm apparently receiving the ACIV game earlier (today!)...but I work during the night. :/

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. I've never really played any of the Ass Creed games but this sounds pretty fun... I might pick this up in the Target B2G1F with Lego Marvel & Wii Party U.

I did that same synchronization point the other day, and yeah, the trees there looked really weird/bad in comparison to the rest of the game

The rest of the game looks great though, which is why that area stood out to me.

fernoca

....okay.

Where'd that screen come from? It doesn't look that bad necessarily. what's the point of this post? A driveby troll post like your first post in the CoD Ghosts Wii U topic?
All the pics are taken from the Wii U/Image Share option (someone actually playing the game).
But...shinobi gotta shinobi. :p
At least he got better at making thread titles.

And meh...the game's definitely arriving when I leave for work, unless it arrives in 2 hours.

And kinda miss the "DS days" with Altair's Chronicles and Discovery. Discovery was a fun/Sonic Rush-like game.

Berg

A lot of people probably know this, but for those who don't...:

You can switch to TV-play and Gamepad-play on the fly by clicking and holding, for 2 seconds, the left and right analog sticks.
( L3 + R3 (2 seconds) = off-tv/on-tv switching )

....okay.

Where'd that screen come from? It doesn't look that bad necessarily. what's the point of this post? A driveby troll post like your first post in the CoD Ghosts Wii U topic?
The hell are you talking about? I don't think the game looks good here. Water and ground textures look terrible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, what happened here? In other screens / videos, the game looks good & better in some instances than PS360 (worse than PS4). But that water...that water...

I thought it wasn't possible...

wii1.jpg

They surely do different water when it is far away. I'd bet anything you look at that same area on 360/ps3, it would look the same. Probably on ps4/xbone too

Berg

Ok, what happened here? In other screens / videos, the game looks good & better in some instances than PS360 (worse than PS4). But that water...that water...

I'd be damned impressed if they could render the water like that, a mile away in the distance.

It does look great, how it's supposed to, when your next to the water/sailing.

fernoca

....dat water....lol

....same water...

bwahahahah

Nothing happened.
Like with many games, the games renders lower res/detailed stuff in the background since there's no need to load the entire water and effects from that far.

A video was already posted earlier on this thread ,showing the water earlier in the game; when you're actually close to it.

prag16

Banned
The hell are you talking about? I don't think the game looks good here. Water and ground textures look terrible.

If your intention wasn't to stir up shit, my bad. But a lot of your posts come across that way; either feigning ignorance or taking jabs trying to be funny/controversial, or so forth.

If your intention wasn't to stir up shit, my bad. But a lot of your posts come across that way; either feigning ignorance or taking jabs trying to be funny/controversial, or so forth.
My post in the COD Ghosts thread was just a joke, nothing more. I love Nintendo dude.

I'm planning on buying a Wii U soon when SM3DW comes out. The picture genuinely just looks bad to me, that's all.

Phazon

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0138B.jpg

....dat water....lol

Xum0Wvd.gif

....same water...

bwahahahah

Make the same shot in the next gen version and the water won't look like the 2nd screen either ... It'll also be a low res thing in the distance.

That being said. Untill there's a site who can get the same screens at the same moment with the same capture settings, we'll all stay running in circles about the differences with the ps360.

Slightly better textures and lighting make the Wii U game look crisp in comparison to the PS3.

But given the minor difference even between the PS3 and PS4 versions, the Wii U holds up pretty well and it is a nice to have, even if differences between versions are small. Basically you are not missing on anything with any version, I still don't plan to get a PS4 so it is nice to know the Wii U version delivers.

Great idea for a thread and I think we should have one for every Wii U Multiplat game.

edit: looking at AC4 and Batman AO on the Wii U against PS360 versions I am actually surprised at the impact of better lightning, in the case of AC 4 on PS3 it looks darker and Batman AO X360 I thought it was to bright, while Wii U looks great on both, a more balanced lighting model that looks great.

Memino

Banned
I'll be picking it up on pc like most multiplats but that is a good port, ubisoft showing love to the wii u, ps4 shadows looks very slick too.

Timeaisis

Well, the Wii U version looks pretty much the same as current gen, maybe slightly crisper. Not that surprising, I doubt Ubi was trying to optimize for it.

prag16

Banned
My post in the COD Ghosts thread was just a joke, nothing more. I love Nintendo dude.

I'm planning on buying a Wii U soon when SM3DW comes out. The picture genuinely just looks bad to me, that's all.

Aight, it's all good. It's not just these two posts I'm referring to, but w/e. The drive-by trolling in Nintendo threads has gotten way out of hand even more than usual, so I lumped it in with that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MmBkPNZ.jpg

Wii U version clearly has better textures than the 360 version and matches PS4 version. Heck looking at it again, it looks sharper than the PS4 version, only by a little though.
OK, that's a joke, right? Look at the giant sand texture behind the character. It's the same on Wii U and 360 but higher resolution on PS4. Furthermore, the 360 and PS4 shots are from low quality videos (especially the 360 shot) that has eliminated the detail in the face.

Direct feed shots show it as having the same resolution textures on characters. People looking at characters for the comparison are kind of missing the point, though, as they really didn't receive any real enhancements compared to the environment and effects.

I'm not convinced that there is a real difference between the PS360 versions and the Wii U version visually. They look exactly the same in every piece of media I've seen. Where's evidence of enhanced lighting or textures?

Actually, I take back the performance comment, the comparison video Prag posted switches back and forth several times once you hit land and the framerate looks smoother on PS3 throughout all of that.

prag16

Banned
Actually, I take back the performance comment, the comparison video Prag posted switches back and forth several times once you hit land and the framerate looks smoother on PS3 throughout all of that.

jackiechan.png

We argued about this type of thing once already, but if that's your takeaway I'm not sure we were watching the same video...

OK, that's a joke, right? Look at the giant sand texture behind the character. It's the same on Wii U and 360 but higher resolution on PS4. Furthermore, the 360 and PS4 shots are from low quality videos (especially the 360 shot) that has eliminated the detail in the face.

Direct feed shots show it as having the same resolution textures on characters. People looking at characters for the comparison are kind of missing the point, though, as they really didn't receive any real enhancements compared to the environment and effects.

I'm not convinced that there is a real difference between the PS360 versions and the Wii U version visually. They look exactly the same in every piece of media I've seen. Where's evidence of enhanced lighting or textures?

The differences are minor, even between PS3 and PS4. But the Wii U version has also a minor difference in lightning and textures from PS360. Now I am not going that far as to say Wii U > PS4, but like it was already said, he looks happier in the Wii U version :).

Wii U version is 14GB while PS360 are aprox. 9.5GBs, I am just speculating with the size difference, it could mean anything, but there is a possibility Wii U has better textures, I can see the difference in the video, slight but it exists.

prag16

Banned
I can see the difference in the video, slight but it exists.

A couple of the times he swapped which side of the video PS3 and Wii U were on, I didn't realize the system labels had changed, but I noticed the quality change, then a few seconds later realized he had swapped it. In those cases it was always the Wii U side which seemed to look slightly better. And it wasn't biased because I thought this before my brain registered which side was which.

Neither one looks significantly worse than the PS4 version though. At least that one'll run at 1080p60 though. Right?

dark10x

The differences are minor, even between PS3 and PS4. But the Wii U version has also a minor difference in lightning and textures from PS360. Now I am not going that far as to say Wii U > PS4, but like it was already said, he looks happier in the Wii U version :).

Wii U version is 14GB while PS360 are aprox. 9.5GBs, I am just speculating with the size difference, it could mean anything, but there is a possibility Wii U has better textures, I can see the difference in the video, slight but it exists.
Point me to the exact time frames. I'm genuinely curious.

We argued about this type of thing once already, but if that's your takeaway I'm not sure we were watching the same video...
You didn't see it? When climbing around in the jungle it definitely seemed slower on Wii U. Again, that's literally just my take from a low quality Youtube video.

Trying to pass judgement on any of this is kind of a bad idea. I certainly haven't passed judgement yet but I'm not really convinced there is any actual technical difference between the versions. Direct feed shots show identical textures.

THy.png

A couple of the times he swapped which side of the video PS3 and Wii U were on, I didn't realize the system labels had changed, but I noticed the quality change, then a few seconds later realized he had swapped it. In those cases it was always the Wii U side which seemed to look slightly better. And it wasn't biased because I thought this before my brain registered which side was which.

Neither one looks significantly worse than the PS4 version though. At least that one'll run at 1080p60 though. Right?

No, unless they could achieve that from E3. The last I heard it was 1080p30 by DF after E3.

Yes Ubi did a good job on all versions. Nobody is missing out on this game, even PS360.

prag16

Banned
No, unless they could achieve that from E3. The last I heard it was 1080p30 by DF after E3.

Yes Ubi did a good job on all versions. Nobody is missing out on this game, even PS360.

What the fucking fuck? All that extra horsepower and they couldn't get it to 60fps, even with the rest of the game looking pretty similar?

Maybe it's the same crap that plagued the Wii U launch games... engines tailored for years to run best on long pipelined high clocked CPUs as part of somewhat odd overall architectures...

You didn't see it? When climbing around in the jungle it definitely seemed slower on Wii U. Again, that's literally just my take from a low quality Youtube video.

Trying to pass judgement on any of this is kind of a bad idea. I certainly haven't passed judgement yet but I'm not really convinced there is any actual technical difference between the versions. Direct feed shots show identical textures.

THy.png

On the PS3 version when entering the jungle I remember hitches on the PS3 version when he took off running. Spinning the camera around in the jungle I thought also looked a tiny bit choppier on PS3 (though both appeared to drop frames). But yeah, it's hard to pass judgement based on this. If I get a chance later maybe I'll try to find exact timestamps for what I'm talking about.

And maybe I need my eyes checked, but even in that screenshot, the Wii U version looks better to me. The lighting just seems a tad more pleasing, and a couple of the textures (her shirt, whatever he's laying on, possibly the wall in the background) look a little muddier on PS3.

dark10x

What the fucking fuck? All that extra horsepower and they couldn't get it to 60fps, even with the rest of the game looking pretty similar?

Maybe it's the same crap that plagued the Wii U launch games... engines tailored for years to run best on long pipelined high clocked CPUs as part of somewhat odd overall architectures...
Well, the extra effects they added are quite impressive, but at least it seems to hit a completely constant 30 fps as opposed to the generally sub-30 fps you get in the other versions.

And maybe I need my eyes checked, but even in that screenshot, the Wii U version looks better to me. The lighting just seems a tad more pleasing, and a couple of the textures (her shirt, whatever he's laying on, possibly the wall in the background) look a little muddier on PS3.
I think you're just seeing things. If there were actual differences in the assets it would be much more obvious.

It's odd that you're thinking the PS4 version doesn't look much better but arguing over minuscule Wii U details that might not even be there. I'm just saying. ;)

stop it at 38 seconds, look at the floor and the wood floor at the top

at 40 the main character is split between the 2 versions, he looks blurrier on the PS3

from 1:15 to 1:48 it is easy to see the lightning differences

stop it at 4:45 and 4:46 PS3 looks blurrier and lightning is different

4:51 loot at the difference in clarity for the cloth

Still like I said very minor differences. I am just happy the Wii U got a nice version, and like I said before every version is worth it.

dark10x

stop it at 38 seconds, look at the floor and the wood floor at the top

at 40 the main character is split between the 2 versions, he looks blurrier on the PS3

from 1:15 to 1:48 it is easy to see the lightning differences

stop it at 4:45 and 4:46 PS3 looks blurrier and lightning is different

4:51 loot at the difference in clarity for the cloth

Still like I said very minor differences.
Ah, I think you're getting caught up on video compression issues and differences in camera angles (in regards to the lighting sections).

At 4:45/6 you're seeing a dust cloud enter the PS3 frame. Those clouds are random which is why the two versions show the clouds at different points.

Ah, I think you're getting caught up on video compression issues and differences in camera angles (in regards to the lighting sections).

At 4:45/6 you're seeing a dust cloud enter the PS3 frame. Those clouds are random which is why the two versions show the clouds at different points.

Ok, could be, let just leave it at that and better wait for the pros to do their job. The last one where he is laying the difference in cloth is very very clear.

I am really curious about the size difference between Wii U and PS360, 4GBs is a lot.

Ok, could be, let just leave it at that and better wait for the pros to do their job. The last one where he is laying the difference in cloth is very very clear.

I am really curious about the size difference between Wii U and PS360, 4GBs is a lot.

The difference is minimal but towards wii u is correct.

dark10x

Ok, could be, let just leave it at that. The last one where he is laying the difference in cloth is very very clear.

It's just...knowing how these games are made I don't think you're actually seeing any improvements there. If there were a difference in the textures it would be more visible than that. It's not even a technical battle, rather, an issue of development cost.

The size difference could be any number of things. Keep in mind that this commonly occurred between PS3 and 360 games as well. My guess? They're using redundant data in order to improve loading times. The PS3 version has an install while 360 comes with a recommended 3gb install for proper textures. The Wii U lacks such an option so, in order to side-step loading issues, they've probably duplicated data.

These direct feed shots definitely suggest identical textures.

u3LAobt4g6vI

k0op1RH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom