• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Wii U version thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just...knowing how these games are made I don't think you're actually seeing any improvements there. If there were a difference in the textures it would be more visible than that. It's not even a technical battle, rather, an issue of development cost.

The size difference could be any number of things. Keep in mind that this commonly occurred between PS3 and 360 games as well. My guess? They're using redundant data in order to improve loading times. The PS3 version has an install while 360 comes with a recommended 3gb install for proper textures. The Wii U lacks such an option so, in order to side-step loading issues, they've probably duplicated data.

These direct feed shots definitely suggest identical textures.

u3LAobt4g6vI

k0op1RH.jpg

I don't see a difference in that image, but it is just one image. I think the devs themselves said Wii U would be in between, and considering it is difficult to spot the differences between PS3 and PS4, it could be even tougher between Wii U and PS360.

I will just wait for the inevitable comparisons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not difficult to spot the differences between ps3 and ps4, though. You just have to look at the right things.

prag16

Banned
Well, the extra effects they added are quite impressive, but at least it seems to hit a completely constant 30 fps as opposed to the generally sub-30 fps you get in the other versions.

I think you're just seeing things. If there were actual differences in the assets it would be much more obvious.

It's odd that you're thinking the PS4 version doesn't look much better but arguing over minuscule Wii U details that might not even be there. I'm just saying. ;)

The PS4 version definitely looks better. It looks more better than Wii U than Wii U looks than PS3, easily (if you take my meaning).

My "not much better" comment was in light of the fact that PS4's raw horsepower advantage is massive while Wii U's (over PS3) is very much smaller.

My guess? They're using redundant data in order to improve loading times.

Crap, that makes a ton of sense. Though with the Wii U's larger RAM I wouldn't totally rule out texture differences just yet. (inb4 "memory bandwidth"; no dev has EVER complained about memory bandwidth, and Criterion pulled it off just fine.)

The size difference could be any number of things. Keep in mind that this commonly occurred between PS3 and 360 games as well. My guess? They're using redundant data in order to improve loading times. The PS3 version has an install while 360 comes with a recommended 3gb install for proper textures. The Wii U lacks such an option so, in order to side-step loading issues, they've probably duplicated data.

The 14GBs on Wii U I got it from e-shop version. Not really sure if redundant data helps on the HD but could be, seeing as some Wii U games struggle in the loading but this might be related to something else, wsippel mentioned on the Wii U GPU thread why.

As I wrote a couple of months ago, it seems quite a few developers don't follow Nintendo's recommendation and use the wrong file IO block size, which leads to dramatically increased load times. Considering the load times in Blacklist are still shit even when it's running from flash, it's certainly possible that Ubisoft didn't use the correct block size, either.

So how's the multiplayer this time? In AC III on Wii U I could only connect to matches consistently at past 1 AM EST. Is connecting to the game faster and easier? How are the player counts in AC IV for matches? I remember in some team matches in AC III it would start with five players which made the matches broken.

Effect

So how's the multiplayer this time? In AC III on Wii U I could only connect to matches consistently at past 1 AM EST. Is connecting to the game faster and easier? How are the player counts in AC IV for matches? I remember in some team matches in AC III it would start with five players which made the matches broken.

Wish I knew. I can't connect to Ubisoft's servers. I was only able to do the training missions. I can't get to the option to even find a match. This is an issue across all versions it seems.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm not convinced that there is a real difference between the PS360 versions and the Wii U version visually. They look exactly the same in every piece of media I've seen. Where's evidence of enhanced lighting or textures?

The one definite thing I've seen is the waterfall effects on PS4/WiiU are the same whereas it looked different in the 360 footage. The part where the water is flowing over the edge is "white" on the next gen versions and seems to have some "splash" effects going on whereas the 360 build (saw that one in one of the early 360/ps4 comparisons from Eurogamer, I believe) had a flatter looking effect without so much white in it. Not sure what it is but it looked noticeably distinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom