• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins Gold Edition pre-order cards at Target, detail contents

ty_hot

Reminds me that I still have to play AC4 (played till the first city only...) and Unity (gonna play in order). 6 months after release it will be 20 (or even 15).

iFirez

Any news about the time setting yet? Would be cool if it was set during the end of the Roman Republic.
I wish it was more like the time of the pharaoh, saving slaves and assassinating the Pieces of Eden wielding pharaohs which shows you how they got their powers (the pieces). Game starts before the pyramids are built and has times jumps as we become 'The Assassin' who's values the creed would go on to base their entire priniples off... that's my wish anyway... but that won't happen.

All of those story spoilers in the comics are incredible. I need to read them now! I honestly thought that nothing much was happening in the modern day.

So about Desmond and
Juno, who's the mother of Desmond's son and is Juno now technically the main villain of the story as a whole
?

All of those story spoilers in the comics are incredible. I need to read them now! I honestly thought that nothing much was happening in the modern day.

So about Desmond and
Juno, who's the mother of Desmond's son and is Juno now technically the main villain of the story as a whole
?

Edit: Meant to say No one know's who the mother of Desmond's son is, got confused with desmond's mother sorry and yupp she's the main villain. She always has been to be completely honest. Origins is gonna be a real treat for us modern/present day lovers. You can count on it. It's gonna be MASSIVE!

Edit: Meant to say No one know's who the mother of Desmond's son is, got confused with desmond's mother sorry and yupp she's the main villain. She always has been to be completely honest. Origins is gonna be a real treat for us modern/present day lovers. You can count on it. It's gonna be MASSIVE!

She's
always creeped me out

latest

Coffinhal

I'm still salty about the name. Like, it's literally the worst thing they could come up with. Even an extremely uncreative name like AC: Egypt would be much better. The Old Kingdom would be a sweet subtitle. Anything than Origins.

Why ? You people always say "it's the worst ever made, so lazy, uncreative" or whatever but you don't explain why and you don't reply when someone's explaining the title to you.

For instance :

No, because Origins has a double meaning : it's set in Antiquity, kind of the "origins" of our societies (an era never explored in the main games) and plans to reveal the origins of the Assassins (meta-story Wise). Maybe a triplicate meaning : going back to the origins of the series in terms of gameplay.

"Big" History / Meta-story / Gameplay : it's smart ; at the opposite Empire says little and they always have subtitles with a meaning that makes you identify something (despite them sounding average most of the time)

I don't see how "The Old Kingdom" would be better.But whatever, you know what's best and worst here.

She's
always creeped me out

latest

Same, but I secretly fancy her ... shhh don't tell anyone ahaa :p I dunna but there's something about her which makes her such a perfect villain, she's been waiting patiently for milenia, to manipulate people throughout time to get her plan in motion (released from the grand temple etc)

Squire

Banned
So theorically speaking what would happen if Sony had a marketing deal on this too?

Does anyone other than astonishingly transparent Sony loyalists give a fuck about marketing deals? Seriously, who cares who puts a bump on the end of the commercial. Is it going to be a good video game?

Frostman

Really looking forward to this. For as much shit this franchise gets, I really missed it last year. Looking forward to what the extra time brings to the table.

That might actually be next year. Since these games are made by alternating teams on alternating years, I believe, just like Call of Duty. (Well, COD is in sets of 3, I thought)
No. This is the Black Flag team. It's been in development longer than their usual cycle. There wasn't a game last year.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This game is also getting a 45 minute segment on June 13th with Geoff.

sjay1994

Why ? You people always say "it's the worst ever made, so lazy, uncreative" or whatever but you don't explain why and you don't reply when someone's explaining the title to you.

For instance :

Because Origins has been done so many times. People have linked the list. Sure you can go "oh, there is a double meaning and it could be about the origins of modern man" but its not.

Its meant to be "oh this is the one before everything else".

If you want double meanings a good subtitle would have been Osiris, representing the god of rebirth and transition as this is a transition period for AC.

Origins is just so "marketing" that it hurts. I also don't know if its going to affect sales, since Origins just reeks of "spin off" and compared to mainline games, spinoffs never sell as well.

See God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgement

sjay1994

Having a shield makes me think they're going the Souls-inspired/lock-on route, taking cues from For Honor

Which would be horrible. Last thing an Assassin should be doing is turtling behind a shield or doing slower 1v1 fighting.

I don't know... I feel like that might be what the series needs.

I think AC's biggest problem has always been the balance of combat and stealth. Where as other games kinda bridge this gap easier due to guns being a thing, the transition in AC has always been jarring.

Also, combat has been for all the games but Unity the pathway of least resistance. If you don't care about full synch, you can just run in and fight large groups without having to really worry about death or penalty.

However, Unity felt way to slow because enemies felt like they were constantly turtling, and the combat flow felt very slow.

I think the best combat speed suited for AC might be that of the Witcher 3. Its not as slow as DS and For Honor, but not as fast and simple as previous AC games.

Crossing Eden

Because Origins has been done so many times. People have linked the list. Sure you can go "oh, there is a double meaning and it could be about the origins of modern man" but its not.

Its meant to be "oh this is the one before everything else".

If you want double meanings a good subtitle would have been Osiris, representing the god of rebirth and transition as this is a transition period for AC.

Origins is just so "marketing" that it hurts. I also don't know if its going to affect sales, since Origins just reeks of "spin off" and compared to mainline games, spinoffs never sell as well.

You have to think from a marketing perspective. Osiris and Empire aren't as easily digestible to the average consumer as Origins. Like, how many people know the meaning of Osiris?

sjay1994

You have to think from a marketing perspective. Osiris and Empire aren't as easily digestible to the average consumer as Origins. Like, how many people know the meaning of Osiris?

I know Origins is completely a marketing based title, and thats why I dislike it.

It feels so frustrating to me. Egypt is a setting I've always wanted for the series, and its being tagged with one of the most overused subtitles in gaming.

And I don't know if because of this title, people will write it off as a spinoff as seen in other games that do prequels, like GOW Ascension.

Crossing Eden

I know Origins is completely a marketing based title, and thats why I dislike it.

It feels so frustrating to me. Egypt is a setting I've always wanted for the series, and its being tagged with one of the most overused subtitles in gaming.

And I don't know if because of this title, people will write it off as a spinoff as seen in other games that do prequels, like GOW Ascension.
Assassin's Creed is pretty much synonymous with subtitles at this point tho. Like, Black Flag, Unity, and Syndicate all moved the story forward in some way. It's only the main historical protagonist who's much further back in time.

Megatron

Literally all we know is that it's called Origins and set in Egypt, so I don't know what you are basing the 'spinoff feel' from. If it's because it's not numbered, well.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revalations
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Origins

At this point the un-numbered mainline games outnumber the numbered. They have more than enough data to know this isn't hurting sales or they would have changed it.

Assassins Creed Liberations was a spinoff.

Very doubtful that Sony has the marketing deal on even this one. There have been plenty rumors now that MS has it. And frankly I hope so because I look forward to seeing some Scorpio footage.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They rolled back to a single male protagonist after the great twins from Syndicate... For me that's a pass right there. Really over the brooding dude protagonists.

sjay1994

Literally all we know is that it's called Origins and set in Egypt, so I don't know what you are basing the 'spinoff feel' from. If it's because well.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revalations
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Origins

At this point the un-numbered mainline games outnumber the numbered. They have more than enough data to know this isn't hurting sales or they would have changed it.

Assassins Creed Liberations was a spinoff.

I have no problem with games having subtitles, its just the word Origins. I am basing this not on AC's history, but because almost every prequel with a subtitle typically never sells as well.

Then again, AC3 is still the highest selling AC game so I guess they are comfortable with this title.

Crossing Eden

I have no problem with games having subtitles, its just the word Origins. I am basing this not on AC's history, but because almost every prequel with a subtitle typically never sells as well.

Then again, AC3 is still the highest selling AC game so I guess they are comfortable with this title.
My dude prequels not selling is usually for a whole lot of different reasons than the subtitle, for instance, God of War Ascension sold poorly because the hack and slash genre in general was in decline. And Gears was an incredibly iterative prequel with some minor changes that greatly affected the fun factor of the MP and a less than stellar campaign mode.

sjay1994

They rolled back to a single male protagonist after the great twins from Syndicate... For me that's a pass right there. Really over the brooding dude protagonists.

I mean, we've only actually had 2 "brooding" men (Altair and Connor), 3 if you include Arno but he was basically Rent-A-Ezio. But I will always fight people, and say Connor is the most human protagonist, and honestly the most relatable.

Also, the twins are really overrated in my opinion. Nothing they do is of consequence, their motivation is literally "Hey wanna go to London and kill some templars?" The only reason Evie looks good is because of how much of an idiot Jacob is. Syndicate as a whole feels like a game of no narrative consequence. The entire game comes of as a giant episode of Magic School Bus, and the characters have no progression. Hell, even though I dislike Arno it felt like he had some form of progression, while the twins remained narrative constant.

I mean
The game literally ends with them running of into the sunset after being thanked by the queen

You only see some progression in them in the Jack the Ripper DLC.

1920's Egypt it is. Can't wait to see footage of it running on the Pro and Scorpio.

Huh?

sjay1994

My dude prequels not selling is usually for a whole lot of different reasons than the subtitle, for instance, God of War Ascension sold poorly because the hack and slash genre in general was in decline. And Gears was an incredibly iterative prequel with some minor changes that greatly affected the fun factor of the MP and a less than stellar campaign mode.

Ok... you are probably right there.

I just hope Origins is really distinguishing itself from previous AC's.

est1992

Wonder if the series will go back to its religious roots with this entry. I always liked learning about the Egyptian Gods.

Altair, Connor, Arno, Shay...it's always the same shit.
I'll kind of give you Altair but that was a game made a decade ago. Connor and Arno were definitively not brooding by any definition of that word that I know. Arno sucks but he wasn't brooding. Also, you're making huge assumptions on a character who hasn't been revealed yet.

I don't know why Assassin's Creed threads always attract people who don't really like or enjoy the series and then are annoyed when the new game in the series is similar in some ways to what has come before.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I Also, you're making huge assumptions on a character who hasn't been revealed yet.

Before we even saw one legit screenshot, we knew the game would take place in Egypt and the leaker said specifically that the main character was silent and brooding. Don't like the series? Look my up PSN/Xbox profiles.

AGITΩ

Please for the love of god, let the modern day be like this.

And not the drek from Unity-Syndicate.
I need more of that. Im hpping they time skip the modern day portion to have
Desmond's son
be older than 10 year old and have a lot of bleeding effect going on from botched animus trips.

Yeah I honestly feel the franchise lost a lot of what made it so great when they started scaling back on the modern day. I feel that was one "criticism" they read entirely wrong and after they wrapped up the Desmond storyline it seems the franchise lost a lot of its momentum when they started getting rid of the modern elements.

They need to come back in a big and a better way in Origins

AGITΩ;239555145 said:
I need more of that. Im hpping they time skip the modern day portion to have
Desmond's son
be older than 10 year old and have a lot of bleeding effect going on from botched animus trips.

You've ... read the new comics ... right?

Top Bottom