• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins Gold Edition pre-order cards at Target, detail contents

AGITΩ;239556137 said:
Nope. I have read the comics in years, didnt know they were all canon or else i wouldve kept up with it.

Well ... damn .... I suggest you start reading them, because (major spoilers be warned)
his son features in a pretty big way that will blow your mind

My dude prequels not selling is usually for a whole lot of different reasons than the subtitle, for instance, God of War Ascension sold poorly because the hack and slash genre in general was in decline. And Gears was an incredibly iterative prequel with some minor changes that greatly affected the fun factor of the MP and a less than stellar campaign mode.
That's sad cause I immensely enjoyed Ascension. Maybe because Kratos wasn't so angry then.

AGITΩ;239556525 said:
Im gonna have to catch up. Hopefully they dont leave that stuff to just the comics then.

Think you should. They're only short, a few pages long but it's epic, actually progresses the modern day even further. They won't do that, it'll conclude with Origins and carry on from there.
Edit: Double post sorry.

I was really burned by Unity, so hoping this game has its best foot forward when they show it at E3.

Ancient naval battles have potential.

My dude prequels not selling is usually for a whole lot of different reasons than the subtitle, for instance, God of War Ascension sold poorly because the hack and slash genre in general was in decline. And Gears was an incredibly iterative prequel with some minor changes that greatly affected the fun factor of the MP and a less than stellar campaign mode.
The way AC's fiction is structured lends itself to prequels more readily than those games too. Often times prequel comes off as side story or a more budget production. Origins seems to be the complete opposite and almost a soft reboot.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The way AC's fiction is structured lends itself to prequels more readily than those games too. Often times prequel comes off as side story or a more budget production. Origins seems to be the complete opposite and almost a soft reboot.
Not only that but prequels in games tend to tell stories that we already know about. Like, we already knew mostly about Gears Judgement especially since half the campaign was about the part of the campaign where the other characters were off doing something else in Gears 3. We already knew the Kratos would eventually go after the God of War. Because AC jumps between incredibly different time periods and settings the fact that a game is a "prequel" is no issue. Even less so considering the sci fi equipment that lets characters like Altair see into and thus set in motion events that happen in the future. Like inventing the hidden gun.

I hate that I'm actually excited for this virus-on-a-disc of a series, but there isn't much else I'm looking forward to at E3. Egypt sounds cool though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Syndicate was really good though imo.

It was. Great fun, fantastic cast ( oh Evie) and supporting characters. Darwin as a badass motherfucker was exhilarating
SHAREfactory™_20151108233312-1024x576.jpg

dreamfall

Wish Aisha Tyler was doing the Ubi Conference again to introduce it. I love my AC games, happy that they've had some development time after this hiatus. Hoping for the world, would love to see
Juno inherit a body and act as a super evil villain trying to disrupt civilization.

Harlequin

It's set in the 12th century BC, right?

I mean, if the rumours about them considering a Greek section are true, I don't think it can be. In that case (and seeing as the promo art in this photo looks very much like pre-Ptolemaic Egypt), I'd be inclined to think that it's maybe set in the 6th or 5th century BC which would be the time when Egypt was under Persian oppression (though, theoretically speaking, if they want(ed) to go with what most people tend to associate with the term ancient Greece, they could go as early as the 9th or 8th century, I suppose).

I mean, if the rumours about them considering a Greek section are true, I don't think it can be. In that case (and seeing as the promo art in this photo looks very much like pre-Ptolemaic Egypt), I'd be inclined to think that it's maybe set in the 6th or 5th century BC which would be the time when Egypt was under Persian oppression (though, theoretically speaking, if they want(ed) to go with what most people tend to associate with the term ancient Greece, they could go as early as the 9th or 8th century, I suppose).
Looking it up, the initial leaks that were accurate also mentioned Queen Khenut, wife of King Unas of the Fith Dynasty which was 2500 BC.

Also, makes sense that the Great Pyramid would be pristine, it was brand new at that point.
If that's the case I wonder if any Isu are still alive at that point? I doubt it, but it's possible.

Im digging the outfit, hopefully its good and not boring like the last few ACs.
If it can do something like Horizon did - where its
actually fun to do everything in the game - I'll be glad to buy

Harlequin

Looking it up, the initial leaks that were accurate also mentioned Queen Khenut, wife of King Unas of the Fith Dynasty which was 2500 BC.

Also, makes sense that the Great Pyramid would be pristine, it was brand new at that point.
If that's the case I wonder if any Isu are still alive at that point? I doubt it, but it's possible.

In that case the Greece rumours don't make any sense whatsoever, though.

Luke_Wal

Marketing materials like the above t shirt call out 49 BCE as the year.

Jedi2016

That's one thing that strikes me as a disappointment. If you're gonna go Ancient Egypt, go fucking Ancient. Don't set your game at the tail end of the dynasties, show me the old civilization in its prime. The old rumors of it being set during Akhenaten's reign had me far more interested than this.

Harlequin

And that doesn't really seem to fit with the promo art in the OP. This is confusing. Maybe that one rumour that talked about different sort of "time bubbles" was correct and you actually go back to different periods for some missions?

Bladenic

I did enjoy Syndicate but I'm def curious to see how Egypt will be. Didn't they take an extra year because they wanted to make some drastic changes? Whether that or just general improvements, I hope it was worth it.

Dueck

Banned
My wife will be excited. AC (and TR) are all she really plays. AC4 was really the only one I put any amount of time into, but I always give them the benefit of the doubt as I do most games. Ubisoft gets a lot of hate, and some of it is definitely earned, but they must be doing something right.

Harlequin

I did enjoy Syndicate but I'm def curious to see how Egypt will be. Didn't they take an extra year because they wanted to make some drastic changes? Whether that or just general improvements, I hope it was worth it.

I've gotten the impression that the main reason for taking a year off was just appearances. People were getting tired of yearly AC games, Unity had that whole air of unpolishedness and incompleteness to it and this is Ubi's response to that. I mean, I'm sure it's helped the game's quality, as well, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they could've had it ready for a 2016 release and mainly delayed it for PR reasons.

Bladenic

I've gotten the impression that the main reason for taking a year off was just appearances. People were getting tired of yearly AC games, Unity had that whole air of unpolishedness and incompleteness to it and this is Ubi's response to that. I mean, I'm sure it's helped the game's quality, as well, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they could've had it ready for a 2016 release and mainly delayed it for PR reasons.

I mean there's never been an AC game released without a laundry list of technical issues (Unity was just far and away the worst) so even if that extra year was used for polish, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Now watch it come out and be another Unity disaster lmao

Ascenion

Not only that but prequels in games tend to tell stories that we already know about. Like, we already knew mostly about Gears Judgement especially since half the campaign was about the part of the campaign where the other characters were off doing something else in Gears 3. We already knew the Kratos would eventually go after the God of War. Because AC jumps between incredibly different time periods and settings the fact that a game is a "prequel" is no issue. Even less so considering the sci fi equipment that lets characters like Altair see into and thus set in motion events that happen in the future. Like inventing the hidden gun.

Origins isn't a prequel though...the actual plot of the series is moving forward yes? Then it can't be a prequel. Black Flag wasn't a prequel. Assassin's Creed is basically a series of self contained one shot stories that move the meta plot forward. The actual time period of the "main game" is irrelevant.

Crossing Eden

Origins isn't a prequel though...the actual plot of the series is moving forward yes? Then it can't be a prequel. Black Flag wasn't a prequel. Assassin's Creed is basically a series of self contained one shot stories that move the meta plot forward. The actual time period of the "main game" is irrelevant.
Hmm true..prequel in the sense that the time period takes place beforehand but sequel in the sense that we move forward anyway.

Regginator

Why ? You people always say "it's the worst ever made, so lazy, uncreative" or whatever but you don't explain why and you don't reply when someone's explaining the title to you.

For instance :

I don't see how "The Old Kingdom" would be better.But whatever, you know what's best and worst here.

When did someone reply to me? Nobody replied to me, you're seeing ghosts. Of course there's meaning behind "Origins" in this context, I should hope so. And in all other fiction that uses Origins, so that's a silly rebuttal. But that doesn't make it any less of a cliché. Other shitty subtitles like Returns, Revolution or whatever are also terribly overused but they also "make sense when looking at context". Is that your reasoning?

Okay, then according to your logic there's no such thing as a bad subtitle, because it'll always have context that explains this uncreative move. "Hey, this piece of fiction tells the origin story of our fictional universe, let's call it Origin because it's the origin.. Get it?"

You'd do well at Ubisoft's marketing department.

Ok so the original comics were called AC, they introduced the cast and MC, the newest run is called AC:Uprising, introduces new characters but retains the same MC and plot.

I was looking around at the comics and info about them. I see that there was a prelude comic to assassins creed 1. Then that was followed by Assassins Creed Volume 1-8. Going off wikipedia, it seems those were only released in French? Im assuming they arent , canon? So for canon, its that AC 1 prelude and then jumps to assassins creed The Fall, the chain, Brahman, Trial by fire. And I guess everything that was published by Titans is the meat of the canon comics?

Edit: oh, i just saw those volumes were translated to English. They look interesting with egyptian stuff. But I would only want to stick to canon

Crossing Eden

I was looking around at the comics and info about them. I see that there was a prelude comic to assassins creed 1. Then that was followed by Assassins Creed Volume 1-8. Going off wikipedia, it seems those were only released in French? Im assuming they arent , canon? So for canon, its that AC 1 prelude and then jumps to assassins creed The Fall, the chain, Brahman, Trial by fire. And I guess everything that was published by Titans is the meat of the canon comics?

Edit: oh, i just saw those volumes were translated to English. They look interesting with egyptian stuff. But I would only want to stick to canon
Assassin's Creed:Assassins is what you're looking for. To the bolded yea pretty much.

Besides the main protagonist being outfitted like he's from 2500 BC and the title of the game having "Origins" in it, the pyramid in the image is smooth af covered in marble with what looks like a golden cap stone at the top. Pretty sure pyramids weren't that pristine in 1920 lol. The game is set in ancient Egypt for sure, and I am extremely excited. I've dreamed about such a setting in a modern open world game for years.

Because Origins has been done so many times. People have linked the list. Sure you can go "oh, there is a double meaning and it could be about the origins of modern man" but its not.

Its meant to be "oh this is the one before everything else".

If you want double meanings a good subtitle would have been Osiris, representing the god of rebirth and transition as this is a transition period for AC.

Origins is just so "marketing" that it hurts. I also don't know if its going to affect sales, since Origins just reeks of "spin off" and compared to mainline games, spinoffs never sell as well.

See God of War Ascension and Gears of War Judgement

Critics were so wrong with God of War Ascension, the game's campaign was an absolute gem, loved the writing, music, set piece moment and gameplay in general. Not sure about Gears!

I think it's really lame that the game is set in ancient Egypt but the pyramid exploration is just a preorder DLC. Unless I'm reading something wrong.

Tohsaka

I think it's really lame that the game is set in ancient Egypt but the pyramid exploration is just a preorder DLC. Unless I'm reading something wrong.

Hopefully it's just a bonus mission or something and we still get to go inside them regardless. Would be really shitty otherwise.

Is the first Assassins Creed game considered garbage compared to subsequent releases ? It's the only one I tried playing and fell asleep attempting doing so.

Is the first Assassins Creed game considered garbage compared to subsequent releases ? It's the only one I tried playing and fell asleep attempting doing so.
It's quite primitive and repetitive compared to some of the later games. It's from AssCreed II that the concept really became fleshed out.

Top Bottom