• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins Gold Edition pre-order cards at Target, detail contents

Hopefully they took a long look at the combat. Returning the setting back to the far past also helps.
Having a shield makes me think they're going the Souls-inspired/lock-on route, taking cues from For Honor

Which would be horrible. Last thing an Assassin should be doing is turtling behind a shield or doing slower 1v1 fighting.

Fliesen

i'm super intrigued.

I wonder which historic characters we're going to meet.
Are they going to be reaching across the mediterranean and give us some greek philosophers?'
Apart from Cleopatra or Rameses, there isn't really any famous (named!) ancient egyptians.

Also, i demand there to be a mission where we ruin the Sphinx' nose.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If they really do the Egypt > Greece > (Rome) trilogy this might be something quite cool.

How far back is this one set? Greece during the Persian Wars could be amazing, followed by Rome during the Caesar/Cleopatra era.

Fingers crossed that all of the current day trash is cut out or optional past the starting cutscene.

This is their chance to fix the modern day story and get it back on track.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Didn't even know there were comics, what's the rough gist of it?
Some major spoilers but...
Desmond has a son who's also a sage leading a new third faction, they revealed why Juno hates humans by showing that they brutally killed her father in front of her during their first rebellion, Juno is really close to getting a new body.

BlizzKrut

Banned
How far back is this one set? Greece during the Persian Wars could be amazing, followed by Rome during the Caesar/Cleopatra era.

Isn't it Ancient Egypt? Sorry I don't know my history in North Africa that well, the leak did specify it was Ancient Rome.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Desmond has a son who's also a sage leading a new third faction, they revealed why Juno hates humans by showing that they brutally killed her father in front of her during their first rebellion, Juno is really close to getting a new body.

What what?!
There's a new faction? What's it called? When did this happen? Is this canon?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope Ubi has taken some time with this game and made some huge improvements. After Horizon and Zelda, open world fair has to really step it up all over the place. Those games set the bar so damn high.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Isn't it Ancient Egypt? Sorry I don't know my history in North Africa that well, the leak did specify it was Ancient Rome.

I haven't been following the leaks, the last thing I saw was that it was closer to the Roman era as opposed to the old/middle kingdoms. I honestly don't know though.

Is this canon? That seems fairly game-changing to be happening outside of the games.

Also, whilst I'm asking questions, movie spoilers: Why were
Abstergo acting as if there was only 1 Apple, and as if they haven't had possession of various AoE's throughout the years. Did I miss something? It does take place in the same universe as the games right?

brawly

hpjch74jy6yhcx4hgoiv

So they eventually hit "We can't resolve the main conflict, third option time!" eh?

Should be interesting. I suspect there may be some integration, but more in broadstrokes since this kinda feels like it'd be intended as a possible starting point for new fans, as much as it is something for older fans to latch onto. 'We have to go back to where it all began' - Origins being the title and all - is potentially a good way to satisfy both.

wtf. I think i need to read the comics. Where do I start?

Crossing Eden

What what?!
There's a new faction? What's it called? When did this happen? Is this canon?
It's all canon
they're called the Instruments of the First Will and were vaguely hinted at in the last three games. They're basically people who worship Juno. They've had moles on both sides. But now they have hella high tech armor and sizable numbers.
B8ipmJ7CYAAZDU6.jpg

wtf. I think i need to read the comics. Where do I start?
Ok so the original comics were called AC, they introduced the cast and MC, the newest run is called AC:Uprising, introduces new characters but retains the same MC and plot.

So they eventually hit "We can't resolve the main conflict, third option time!" eh?

Should be interesting. I suspect there may be some integration, but more in broadstrokes since this kinda feels like it'd be intended as a possible starting point for new fans, as much as it is something for older fans to latch onto. 'We have to go back to where it all began' - Origins being the title and all - is potentially a good way to satisfy both.
Uprising is supposed to finish this specific section of the modern day plot so it's really up in the air. I've heard literally nothing about what the MD is supposed to be in Origins.

shandy706

Having a shield makes me think they're going the Souls-inspired/lock-on route, taking cues from For Honor

Which would be horrible. Last thing an Assassin should be doing is turtling behind a shield or doing slower 1v1 fighting.

Ryse looked pretty cool with a shield in combat. Expand on the whole "taking on multiple people" side of that combat and you might get something really cool.

Spoilers for the Uprising comics

Juno intends to revive her race and rebuild Eden. She said she needs the Koh-i-Noor, which was last seen somewhere in spain. I'm thinking Juno gets a body by the end of the comics and the game will continue on from there dealing with her being back in a physical form and executing her plan

BlizzKrut

Banned
It's all canon
they're called the Instruments of the First Will and were vaguely hinted at in the last three games. They're basically people who worship Juno. They've had moles on both sides. But now they have hella high tech armor and sizable numbers.
B8ipmJ7CYAAZDU6.jpg

Ok so the original comics were called AC, they introduced the cast and MC, the newest run is called AC:Uprising, introduces new characters but retains the same MC and plot.

Uprising is supposed to finish this specific section of the modern day plot so it's really up in the air. I've heard literally nothing about what the MD is supposed to be in Origins.

I'd love to read the comic where you see through the eyes of an ancestor of a MD character where it's set in the Salem Witch Trials. Which one is it? Is it any good?

Coffinhal

Unity is more of a half-step in that regard, I feel -- combat encounters are more challenging, certainly, but not as challenging as they should be. If Ubi has indeed taken cues from CDPR on combat encounter design, then it's probably safe to say that Origins will deliver on that front. The comparison is apt: Geralt's mutation-augmented abilities don't exactly make him a demigod and neither should a honed assassin skillset.

Well what "they should be" is an opinion, there isn't a perfect combat system, it's a matter of what choices you make to make it fun to play and Ubisoft shifted their choices with Unity, and shifted again a bit with Syndicate.

Unity allowed that if you were underequipped, against tough opponents of multiple ones, you were likely to lose if you have one or two missteps. I died a lot that way. Call it half-step if you want but this was imho, replaying AC1 while playing Unity at the same time, a bit more challenging then the first combat system in the series (and thanksfully since it has more depth and 7 years of experience). So no, Origins won't be the first AC game to have a more "challenging" combat system : Unity already did it, even if you believe that it wasn't enough.

You don't know that though... The origins of the assassin's were in AC1 in 1191CE not Egypt in 350BCE

You can find details on the lore before AC1's era here.

The Assassins, if not the Order itself, have existed since at least 456 BCE, throughout the Roman Empire, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution and into the Modern era.

There's a high chance the game'll let you play the way you want most of the times so you can be the "Assassin" you want : the sleathly guy who only uses his hidden blade in the shadows, or only the hidden blade in combat, or the guy with big weapons and a shield...

Assassin never meant automatically stealth ninja or something like this. I never understood this stance (which we have heard for EVERY game since AC2 : fire weapons, machette, rifles, pirate etc)

Season Pass. Exclusive missions. It's like they learned nothing.

It's doing well for them financially.

Markitron

Wouldn't say that, they learned to take a year off, which looks to have done them a world of good.

I'm no fan of the season pass/pre-order bonus stuff either, but I can't say it bothers me all that much when it's not at the expense of the main game. AC has never done this AFAIK, I never felt like the game was missing something like I did with Mass Effect 3 for example.

Crossing Eden

I'd love to read the comic where you see through the eyes of an ancestor of a MD character where it's set in the Salem Witch Trials. Which one is it? Is it any good?
I enjoyed it it was just really REALLY short. Those are the first five issues of AC 2015.

Absolutely what indication is there that these things wouldn't be a thing?

I'd be curious to see the Xbox One reservation card as well, as that might tell us if there's Xbox-exclusive content through a marketing deal.

Sony has had a number of those with AC in the past, and since they got Far Cry 5 I'd imagine AC went with Microsoft this year. Last time AC went with Microsoft was Unity.

Markitron

Nope. I hope they put in more relevant modern day stuff. its the backbone of the series. They made it worse by trying to downplay it from AC4 and onwards.

There was plenty of modern-day content in AC4 and ACR, Syndicate had a smaller but still important section too. The only game that really downplayed it was Unity, which really suffered as the events of the game lacked context.

The problem post AC3 was that I don't think they had a plan for where they were going after Desmond's story ended.

Regginator

I'm still salty about the name. Like, it's literally the worst thing they could come up with. Even an extremely uncreative name like AC: Egypt would be much better. The Old Kingdom would be a sweet subtitle. Anything than Origins.

What exactly was there to learn? It exists because it sells. It's also a single player game.
There is a shift happening in the industry away from season passes, just like the shift away from online passes before. Ubisoft said they wanted to peruse that "games as a service" bullshit. The least scummy way to do that is to make DLC free and just charge for the microtransactions. If there is no multiplayer at all, a season pass is okay if there aren't also microtransactions. It'll probably get even worse once they are taken over, but I bet they'll charge for DLC and sell microtransactions.

AHA-Lambda

Spoilers for the Uprising comics

Juno intends to revive her race and rebuild Eden. She said she needs the Koh-i-Noor, which was last seen somewhere in spain. I'm thinking Juno gets a body by the end of the comics and the game will continue on from there dealing with her being back in a physical form and executing her plan

This screams of "let's wrap this shit up now and get it away from the main games, and leave it in the side stuff for the diehards that care"

RedSwirl

The pyramid in that box art looks pretty new. If that's the Great Pyramid and not some precursor artifact or something then that might put the game further back into the 3rd millennium BC, closes to when it was actually constructed. Didn't that one leaked screenshot possibly place the setting within 100 years of the Great Pyramid?

There is a shift happening in the industry away from season passes, just like the shift away from online passes before. Ubisoft said they wanted to peruse that "games as a service" bullshit. The least scummy way to do that is to make DLC free and just charge for the microtransactions. If there is no multiplayer at all, a season pass is okay if there aren't also microtransactions. It'll probably get even worse once they are taken over, but I bet they'll charge for DLC and sell microtransactions.
The microtransactions in Ubisoft 1P games are always time skips and for people who want to artificially boost or unlock stuff. Doesn't affect anyone else whatsoever.

It's been said so many times through the last few months that there is no MP and I tend to believe it.

So basically it's just a bundle with a season pass which saves hardcore fans money who are likely to buy all of the content anyways.

This isn't really anything to be annoyed by.

Crossing Eden

Their games as a service for SP focused titles has been to add expansion packs throughout the year ala Watch Dogs 2, Syndicate, and Ghost Recon. All three of which hve the very thing you're complaining about which yet are long complete games. They also release free dlc alongside the expansions.

Does Ubisoft have an E3 conference this year?
Yes.

Yeah it's been way too long I'm ready for an AC game to knock my socks off. No mediocre to pretty good, I want to relish in this installment. Which may be getting my hopes up a bit too high but I'm ready for it.

This screams of "let's wrap this shit up now and get it away from the main games, and leave it in the side stuff for the diehards that care"

All they're doing is wrapping up the Phoenix Project storyline that started back in Black Flag onwards. Juno gets a body (thanks to the Templars) and origins continue on from there. The Juno arc is only just beginning. I'd rather they do that instead of them dragging the phoenix project on and on throughout the games. Closing an arc to open another. It's pretty simple tbh

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People in here discussing the AC games longer story line like Ubi isn't just gonna wing it over the next few games while dropping bread crumbs here and there. The fact that most of the back story elements people are talking about in here come from the comics kind of reinforces this notion of mine. Yeah there will be hints, connections and maybe even some actual story reveals and serious progression but it often feels rather half assed and very very loose. Doesn't mean their bad games but I have little hope for the over arching story or lore of the AC games anymore.

AC stories have been at their best when they double down on the protagonist (Revelations and Black Flag) and not the grand conspiracy. I hope we get more of that with Origins.

Top Bottom