• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

heringer

I'm trying to play Syndicate again to get in the mood for Origins, and I just can't. The story and characters are like the dullest things ever, the city itself is as dull as the story, the combat is incredibly boring and repetitive (both visually and mechanically), the buildings are too tall and streets too wide to parkour for very long without an extended climb and the rope launcher just makes traversal tedious by removing the parkour entirely. And I get that AC loves to have you meet famous people from the era, but having you literally run into Charles Dickens and then introduce Bell so soon like that is just lazy

I don't get what people saw in this game that made it seem like a decent improvement over Unity. Evie is the best part of the game so far, but she's barely a character

Everything about Origins seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison after playing some Syndicate. Especially the combat

I completely agree. I thought Unity was much better than Syndicate, which I couldn't even find ish.

Ahasverus

For anyone who puts AC2 over ACB I need an explanation.
Story and pacing were far better. Also, multi regions >>>>>>> singular city.

That said, I find hard to separate the two, Brohood was the scrapped ending of 2 wasn't it? In the ends they're chapters of the same game.

Des

So glad they have improved the structure and combat before tackling feudal Japan. Have a feeling the Unity team is currently working on that.

Ahasverus

So glad they have improved the structure and combat before tackling feudal Japan. Have a feeling the Unity team is currently working on that.
If leaks are true, Origins is going to be a trilogy so Montreal 1 is probably working on Origins 2, while Montreal 2 will make Origins 3 after finishing this one.

I'd think the next location will come next generation.

J 0 E

AC 2
AC 4 Black Flag
AC Syndicate
AC 1
AC Unity
AC Revelations
AC Brotherhood
AC 3

I enjoy AC games overall, can't wait for Origins.

Harmen

I like the franchise, but if this isn't a story reboot or proper ending to whatever the fuck is going on in the AC universe we know, I'll sit this one out. Of the six AC titles I have played, none of them, not a single one, had a proper ending to it's modern day storyline. Just major twists or cliffhangers that barely get resolved later on. And since the modern day is right in your face with all the animus stuff floating on your screen and the databases and such being told by modern day characters (and most entries having significant modern day sequences), that is a significant problem to me.

I hope they took/take a real good and long look at Horizon:Zero Dawn how to deliver a satisfying tale that feels like a complete arc.

Des

If leaks are true, Origins is going to be a trilogy so Montreal 1 is probably working on Origins 2, while Montreal 2 will make Origins 3 after finishing this one.

Well I'd like to ancient Rome done justice so that works for me.

Xando

The leak was Egypt,
Rome, Greece,
right?

Altairre

I'm trying to play Syndicate again to get in the mood for Origins, and I just can't. The story and characters are like the dullest things ever, the city itself is as dull as the story, the combat is incredibly boring and repetitive (both visually and mechanically), the buildings are too tall and streets too wide to parkour for very long without an extended climb and the rope launcher just makes traversal tedious by removing the parkour entirely. And I get that AC loves to have you meet famous people from the era, but having you literally run into Charles Dickens and then introduce Bell so soon like that is just lazy

I don't get what people saw in this game that made it seem like a decent improvement over Unity. Evie is the best part of the game so far, but she's barely a character

Everything about Origins seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison after playing some Syndicate. Especially the combat

The gameplay in Syndicate is far ahead of Unity. They tried to rework the combat somewhat in Unity but it didn't work out at all, it's just a chore to get through. In Syndicate it's easy, yes, but also a lot faster and flashier (it does get repetetive after a while but that's because of their paired animation system, you can only see the same stuff so many times before you get sick of it). Additionally the stealth mechanics are a lot better, which wasn't something that's particularly hard to achieve because they're simply awful in Unity. Especially the way a lot of the missions are designed, it just doesn't work with the limited scope of the stealth system. I've finished every AC game (apart from Rogue) and I REALLY struggled with Unity. The setup for the assassinations in Syndicate are more interesting (only talking about the gameplay here) and planning your approach is more rewarding. Does that mean it's a good stealth game? Hell naw, but then again AC never was.

As far as the characters go Jacob is pretty much a palette swapped version of Arno (I dislike them both) but at least Evie is there. I agree with you that the story is never particularly interesting but that's also one of my biggest issues with AC in general. The series has a couple of decently written characters but the story itself is always a mess sometimes more sometimes less so. The setting is usually just (admittetly very pretty) window dressing which is also why the all the famous historical figures have become a problem. They're just there because "hey remember that guy? you know him right?" and not because they're essential (or needed at all) for the progression of the story. In my mind they've never made good on their premise of all these different historical settings but I'm sure other people feel differently. Still, I personally felt like Syndicate at least moved and it was fun enough to play through (not checking off all the icons on the map certainly helped) as opposed to Unity.

I'm also with you that Origins looks like it could be the change up this series needed, what I've seen of the combat certainly gives me hope and it'd be neat if the same applied to the stealth. The story bits in the trailers seem intriguing though I'm not holding my breath in that regard. I will say that I'm a bit more optimistic after Watchdogs 2 which I think has the best characters Ubisoft has created in a long time.

Well I'd like to ancient Rome done justice so that works for me.

That's my dream AC game. But it has to be Rome from the early 4th century AD, during the reign of Constantine. That was the city as its most glorious. After that, it went just downhill.

Harlequin

Wasn't the latest leak that Greek and Rome will just be extensive DLC rather than full sequels? Or has there been another, newer leak confirming the first leak :p?

That's my dream AC game. But it has to be Rome from the early 4th century AD, during the reign of Constantine. That was the city as its most glorious. After that, it went just downhill.

I'd assume that we'll still be playing as Bayek and/or his wife (whose name I don't know) so it'd probably be around 30-20 BC or sth (assuming Origins ends with Cleopatra's death).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeep. I think Crossing Eden can shed some light on all this.
I'll say that considering how secretive and controlled this project has been compared to Ubi's other titles. :| It's actually insane that there were leaks at all.

Crossing Eden

Additionally, Ezio isn't even a character in ACB.

All he does is bark orders at people. It's terrible.
That game is about establishing him as a leader by rebuilding his order. Him ordering people around in that context makes sense. Showcases how much he had grown compared to when he was a hotheaded youth

Ahasverus

Additionally, Ezio isn't even a character in ACB.

All he does is bark orders at people. It's terrible.
Yeep. As I said, story was bad, all the characters except for Machiavello went to waste. Rodirgo's death couldn't have been less anticlimatic, it's incredible how they made the audience not care about THE GUY WHO MADE EZIO SUFFER FOR DECADES. I suppose they were focusing on Cesar, but still, the pope deserved more spotlight after, well, a whole game dedicated to building the conflict between him and Ezio.

Apart from the very ending of Revelations, who, let's face it, was just fantastic and gut wrenching, the series never reached any kind of narrative high after 2. It was sad when they had a great character in Ezio, and it became sadder when they tried to make every character Ezio and failed miserably.

I'd say Desillets departure was a really deep wound the franchise hasn't recovered since. Here's hoping the Origins team is really inspired this time.

heringer

I think the gameplay looks fantastic, but story, setting and characters aren't doing it for me, judging from trailers and videos. Bayek seems like Connor 2 to me.

sjay1994

I think the gameplay looks fantastic, but story, setting and characters aren't doing it for me, judging from trailers and videos. Bayek seems like Connor 2 to me.

I would rather have Connor 2 than another "Rent-a-Ezio".

Edward was cool because his background and motivations make sense, but Arno and the twins were so nothing.

I need this, but they keep saying they won’t. I think they’re holding this one just in case they need a boost to the franchise.

Edward was cool because his background and motivations make sense, but Arno and the twins were so nothing.

Yeah, we don’t need another ezio. Arno did absolutely nothing for me as a character. My top picks are the guy from rogue, ezio, and Edward. Adewale wasn’t too bad either.

AC3 became my favorite story with my favorite character and mission types and I hated how the fanbase reacted to it all.

It's a shame we'll never get closure to such an amazing character in Connor.

I've actually disliked all post 3 ACs to spite Ubi, but it's mostly warranted because 4 was a side story-come-numbered sequel to save face and keep interest in the series but amounted to nothing more than expanded naval battles and tail missions. That's the last AC I played to the end but I do own the rest because of gifts and sales.

If Origins gives us Connor missions/closure, I'm there as soon as I find this out. Until then, it's something I'll pick up on sale. (I expect "edgy" posts but it's honestly how I feel).

AC3 became my favorite story with my favorite character and mission types and I hated how the fanbase reacted to it all.

I've actually disliked all post 3 ACs to spite Ubi, but it's mostly warranted because 4 was a side story-come-numbered sequel to save face and keep interest in the series but amounted to nothing more than expanded naval battles and tail missions. That's the last AC I played to the end but I do own the rest because of gifts and sales.

If Origins gives us Connor missions/closure, I'm there as soon as I find this out. Until then, it's something I'll pick up on sale. (I expect "edgy" posts but it's honestly how I feel).

No need for edgy posts, it’s definitely a valid opinion imo.

SomTervo

I like all the AC characters but "so nothing" feels apt.

They never seem to take risks with character arcs or situations, they just layer on the story and plot. Things are never cut away or destroyed (Except perhaps in the exposition for AC2 and 3).

Things never feels desperate or edgy, just by the numbers.

Again, i like them all, but they feel super middle of the road

Gaf’s reception to 3 and this is very questionable.
The fact that Gaf viewed 3 as bad as they did despite its mission variety, combat, interesting character with flaws who happens to be a great represenation of a minority group and some great characterization in the homestead missions and viewed 4's wooden Ezio-like with less of a connection to the assassins and its repeated use of tail missions as a step in the right direction will never be forgiven by me.

Crossing Eden

Connor got closure in the form of a comic book.
DD1MI0CWAAAzExv.jpg

The fact that Gaf viewed 3 as bad as they did despite its mission variety, combat, interesting character with flaws who happens to be a great represenation of a minority group and some great characterization in the homestead missions and viewed 4's wooden Ezio-like with less of a connection to the assassins and its repeated use of tail missions as a step in the right direction will never be forgiven by me.
But didn't you hear that the tutorial was long?

heringer

Gaf’s reception to 3 and this is very questionable.

I liked AC3, actually, but Connor was a big step down after Ezio. I don't want another Ezio, just another good character like Edward was, which was the last AC character that I liked. Well, Shay was not bad.

Kal-El814

I think 3 would have been meaningfully improved if the VA for Connor received better direction. A lot of his lines were delivered blandly making moments that should have been impactful fall kind flat.

It's disappointing because I think Connor was interesting and AC3 feels like the last time that they tried to have a story that was both really personal and tied to the world that the characters lived in. Black Flag was a rad game but Edward's character didn't really lend him to giving much of a crap about the world. Arno's never really felt like he cared much about the Assassins. Jacob and Evie felt more like they were using London as their playground than they did about the larger conflict. I miss the scope and intimacy of 3 even though parts of it were flawed.

Yeep. As I said, story was bad, all the characters except for Machiavello went to waste. Rodirgo's death couldn't have been less anticlimatic, it's incredible how they made the audience not care about THE GUY WHO MADE EZIO SUFFER FOR DECADES. I suppose they were focusing on Cesar, but still, the pope deserved more spotlight after, well, a whole game dedicated to building the conflict between him and Ezio.

Apart from the very ending of Revelations, who, let's face it, was just fantastic and gut wrenching, the series never reached any kind of narrative high after 2. It was sad when they had a great character in Ezio, and it became sadder when they tried to make every character Ezio and failed miserably.

I'd say Desillets departure was a really deep wound the franchise hasn't recovered since. Here's hoping the Origins team is really inspired this time.
Without a doubt, he was the heart and soul of the series. Comes with being it creator though. I don’t think it’ll ever get back on it’s feet unless they start fresh completely.

I liked Connor. I liked what he stood for. I liked that he constantly complained about things that were worth complaining about and pointed out the hypocrisies of the founding fathers. He had a certain drollness about him that I enjoyed. I certainly found him more interesting than Edward whose main goal in life was to make money because his girlfriend's parents didn't like him. But he's a puckish rogue so he must be a good character.

Manu

AC3 ruined the series for me and that was years before I even knew about GAF. Most of my friends IRL who played the game disliked it too.

GAF can be a bit of an echo chamber sometimes, but AC3 was just a poor game.

EDIT: Maybe poor game is a bit harsh considering a lot of people enjoyed it, so let's say polarizing instead.

I enjoyed AC3 for the most part and the concept of Connor as a character. The execution and presentation fell flat for me though; there are a few issues but the biggest one is that I couldn't connect what I was doing in the game with the motivations of the character in the game.

I think one reason people generally love Ezio and Edward (and to a lesser extent Shay) it's because they always have a drive that makes sense and it underpins everything you choose to do in the world.

Connor and Arno just seem to be reacting to whatever the 'real' movers and shakers of the world are doing, which makes playing them feel like busywork.

I liked Connor. I liked what he stood for. I liked that he constantly complained about things that were worth complaining about and pointed out the hypocrisies of the founding fathers. He had a certain drollness about him that I enjoyed. I certainly found him more interesting than Edward whose main goal in life was to make money because his girlfriend's parents didn't like him. But he's a puckish rogue so he must be a good character.
You have my tomahawk.

Crossing Eden

AC4 was about as good as a pirate story can get with this medium. It so perfectly captures the feeling of a world that's transitioning between eras and for once in the series we're on the side of that era that lost, (the pirates). That game was filled with so much genuine emotion and great acting from the cast, AC3 was too but a lot of the camaraderie and positive emotion was in the homestead campaign. Edward was definitely nothing like Ezio besides the shared trait of confidence but even that is different considering how reckless Edward is in comparison. It still has my favorite ending in the entire series. That transition between eras feeling is certainly something i'm hoping they capture with Origins. But yea I don't think the industry was really ready for a character like Connor in the age of brunette white haired men being the default. If AC3 was being made today it'd likely be called pandering sjw trash by some people. :| Super glad that he got a positive ending considering he was the only playable assassin who's story was left up in the air after beating the big bad.

Stiler

That's what I often don't get about the hate for AC3.

I ask people what they dislike about AC3 and it's usually "The tutorial was long" or "Connor was boring."

What about the actual gameplay?

The combat was a step up from the previous games with multi-person takedowns galore, range takedowns, etc. The mission variety was much better, relying less on simple copy and paste trailing and more on doing different things.

Then you had seasons that changed over the course of the game impacting gameplay, with snow affecting your movement even. Then the naval combat addition, a "homestead" that you built up over the game and helped people with, etc.

To me the gameplay trumped the tutorial/Connor shortcomings.

hydruxo

AC3 was alright in my book. People act like it was some massive disaster and overall I think it was solid enough. The ending with the modern day storyline was really the biggest misstep for me. Haytham is probably one of my favorite characters in the entire franchise. Dude was awesome.

I didn’t mind Connor as much, I viewed the early protagonists in a way that each had character flaws they eventually grew out of. Altair was an outsider and by the book guy from what I remember, Ezio was naive and cocky, Connor was angry and rash.

AC4 was about as good as a pirate story can get with this medium. It so perfectly captures the feeling of a world that's transitioning between eras and for once in the series we're on the side of that era that lost, (the pirates).That game was filled with so much genuine emotion and Edward was definitely nothing like Ezio besides the shared trait of confidence but even that is different considering how reckless Edward is in comparison. It still has my favorite ending in the entire series. That transition between eras feeling is certainly something i'm hoping they capture with Origins. But yea I don't think the industry was really ready for a character like Connor in the age of brunette white haired men being the default. If AC3 was being made today it'd likely be called pandering sjw trash by some people. :|
I always regret having such a negative reaction to 4/Edward because it makes me no better than the folks who hated 3/Connor.

It's just, I can't escape the feeling that the game as a whole was altered to erase 3 from the minds of the acidic fanbase. I still feel it should have been Connor's game with flashbacks to his grandfather's era via special tombs/relics.

Crossing Eden

I always regret having such a negative reaction to 4/Edward because it makes me no better than the folks who hated 3/Connor.

It's just, I can't escape the feeling that the game as a whole was altered to erase 3 from the minds of the acidic fanbase. I still feel it should have been Connor's game with flashbacks to his grandfather's era via special tombs/relics.
I can tell you with 100% confidence that it wasn't. Internally AC3 and 4 were developed alongside each other. And Edward was decided on before Connor was even revealed to the public.

Top Bottom