• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed "Parity": Unity is 900p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck? I hope this bites them in the ass a little. Even if sales aren't hurt, hopefully some gaming journalist will grow some proverbial balls and press them on the issue.

Xater

Their marketing deal with MS probably also had nothing to do with it.

Whatever, AC is not a game I was going to buy anymore anyway. Maybe once it plays like Shadow of Mordor I might care again.

Boke1879

Won't be buying this game now until a 1080p patch is announced for the PS4 version. Good job Ubisoft. You lost a sure buy by pulling this shit.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff,"

Is this real? Reads like an article from The Onion.

That June SDK is a BEAST
pZogTha.png

Marlenus

No 1. If you are CPU limited then increasing the resolution will have a minor impact on the actual frame rate.

No 2. Unless you are aiming for 1080p on both consoles parity should not be an option. If you can hit 900p on Xbox One you can hit 1080p on PS4. Hitting 1080p on both and not bothering to turn on extra AA or other special features is one thing but gimping the PS4 version because you want to avoid the discussion is BS.

Alucrid

Banned
They just said that they're planning to bump the resolution up to 1080p for the ps4 version. It's in the OP.

no it's not

Last year's Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag also shipped at 900p/30fps on both PS4 and Xbox One. A post-release patch, however, bumped the PS4 version to 1080p. Ubisoft has given no indication that it has plans to do the same for Unity.

I think there is irony in there somewhere. Or is it ironic that in trying to avoid a shitstorm, they have created one?

I´m sure nobody would have said a thing if it would have been the usual

XBone 900p, PS4 1080p at the same framerate....but intentionally holding one version back ?
Yeah...

"Last year's Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag also shipped at 900p/30fps on both PS4 and Xbox One. A post-release patch, however, bumped the PS4 version to 1080p. Ubisoft has given no indication that it has plans to do the same for Unity."

So I wonder how long this info will be glossed over in the thread?
If they're locking it for parity, what makes you think they'll bother patching it?

Einbroch

Banned
They just said that they're planning to bump the resolution up to 1080p for the ps4 version. It's in the OP.

Read it again. The journalist is talking about what they did the Black Flag, then immediately afterwards says they have made no plans to do it to Unity.

_woLf

Cool, no longer buying this at launch. Will wait for inevitable half price black friday sale.

Fuck you too, Ubisoft.

Certinty

Ridiculous. I own both consoles and was going to get this on the PS4 just to play with friends but now they might have just lost a sale.

Lo-Volt

No, the only reference in the article to a resolution patch was for Black Flag. Nothing like that was confirmed for Unity.

I'm also surprised someone at Ubisoft was caught dead saying something like that. Did they even try to come up with another reason for holding one of the versions of this title back? It's the kind of thing that probably won't go noticed by most consumers, admittedly, but the buyers most prone to debate this stuff won't care for that kind of rationale, judging by GAF's response.

ZeroX03

Banned
This doesn't change anything for me, ACIV looked fine pre-patch. But they really need to stop whoever is making these awful design decisions and partnering them whoever makes these awful statements. This game must be choking from constantly having it's own foot in it's mouth.

jcm

Some Ubi PR person just blew a gasket. "You were just supposed to say CPU-bound, man. Why did you say we are purposefully targeting parity?"

KJRS_1993

A little annoying, but the game still looks really good to actually play. I don't notice boring stuff like the resolution anyway.

longdi

Banned
Orly? Lies! More lies!

I wonder if Sony felt betrayed in all of this? They did a lot to market Asscred games on PlayStation.

OneTwoTee

Banned
Hilarious, well done Ubisoft

I'll get it on PC and deal with their shitty optimization ;(

and Uplay. Don't forget the disaster that is Uplay.

Was there no ubisoft PR guy when they did the interview? Certainly seems like there wasn't.

Kysen

They can get fucked, they actually admit that the GPU isn't the bottleneck then go on to say that the resolution will suffer anyway. What the fuck does AI have to do with effects done on the GPU.

Einbroch

Banned
How does this have anything with MS? Am I missing a joke here?

It likely does. MS has the marketing campaign for Unity, unlike all previous games which were Sony. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they paid/nudged Ubisoft to limit the PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom