• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I really recommend doing the riddle sidequests in the DLC.

The one handed sword you get is so good. The chance on hit to stun all nearby enemies is great!
I played one of the missions with Elise, it stuns Elise as well.

Fry

So, I skipped this when it was released because of all the bugs reports... is the game worth buying at this point?

Did they fix it? Is it a good game overall? I only played AC: II... and I really liked it. Is it better?

10355625_1524301977814846_2840997881886199613_o.jpg

10,000 NPCs.

I can confirm that when you bump into the guy giving the other guy a shave, he doesn't slip and cut the guy's throat. Was one of the first things I did in the game.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It turns out the hundreds of hours spent completing the Pantheon Companion App missions are just to unlock the in-game Helix Rift missions, which you have to then go into the actual game and search for a bunch of randomly placed Rift Artifacts in the Helix Rift Missions. Before ANY of the Rift Mission icons even show up on the map, it turns out you have to find the first murder mystery mission. And in order for ANY of the Nomad Rift artifacts to even show up in the Helix Rift missions, you have to completely finish all Les Invalides and all Pantheon companion app missions, otherwise they won't show up. Once you collect all the artifacts, the Altair outfit will unlock.

Fucking Ubisoft. Fuck you. I'm done with this series.

stab-big.gif

Seriously? Go fuck yourself Ubi, that's a fucking joke.

Grisby

Well, I beat dead kings. It was nice for a freebie, and the foggy atmosphere is great. The catacombs were a bit boring and too much of the mission stuff takes place there.

So that's it for Unity. I beat the main game about a week or so ago. Overall, it was throughly average. It's a real shame that they didn't further the series in any meaningful way by being on more powerful hardware.

I liked getting back to regular old assassination missions, but I felt like there were way to many dudes and all of them had eagle vision. Combine that with Classic AC controls in an indoor environment and it doesn't make for a perfect time. I had fun I suppose, but it should have been so much better.

Even with the new free running controls, I was still getting stuck on barrels or jumping when I didn't want to. Since we're back in a more urban environment it means Arno can get stuck on more things.

Story was blah. I did like Elise, a lot really, but I felt both Arno and her would have been better off as not part of the assassins/Templar deal. Napoleon was a brief highlight, but he faded away after a mission or so.

It also kind of sucks that the crowds felt a bit useless. I thought I was going to be storming castle gates at some point with them but it just didn't happen. Oh, and the locked skill stuff sucked. All of my abilities that I had last gen locked just because.

The presentation was ace and the game got by on a lot for letting me just walk around in old Paris. Music was forgettable outside of a track I just heard at the end of Dead Kings.

So yeah, Unity was an ok comfort game. I don't quite feel like I watsed my time and if you could pick it up on the real cheap side, I would, since it's a wonder to walk around Paris with those graphics. With the Hud (holy moly) turned off.

Well, I beat dead kings. It was nice for a freebie, and the foggy atmosphere is great. The catacombs were a bit boring and too much of the mission stuff takes place there.

So that's it for Unity. I beat the main game about a week or so ago. Overall, it was throughly average. It's a real shame that they didn't further the series in any meaningful way by being on more powerful hardware.

I liked getting back to regular old assassination missions, but I felt like there were way to many dudes and all of them had eagle vision. Combine that with Classic AC controls in an indoor environment and it doesn't make for a perfect time. I had fun I suppose, but it should have been so much better.

Even with the new free running controls, I was still getting stuck on barrels or jumping when I didn't want to. Since we're back in a more urban environment it means Arno can get stuck on more things.

Story was blah. I did like Elise, a lot really, but I felt both Arno and her would have been better off as not part of the assassins/Templar deal. Napoleon was a brief highlight, but he faded away after a mission or so.

It also kind of sucks that the crowds felt a bit useless. I thought I was going to be storming castle gates at some point with them but it just didn't happen. Oh, and the locked skill stuff sucked. All of my abilities that I had last gen locked just because.

The presentation was ace and the game got by on a lot for letting me just walk around in old Paris. Music was forgettable outside of a track I just heard at the end of Dead Kings.

So yeah, Unity was an ok comfort game. I don't quite feel like I watsed my time and if you could pick it up on the real cheap side, I would, since it's a wonder to walk around Paris with those graphics. With the Hud (holy moly) turned off.

Haven't played Dead Kings yet but you nailed my thoughts on the game. There's some improvements for sure but still a lot of the same problems. I liked Black Flag much more

jem0208

Something which confuses me slightly about the story in this game.

You get thrown out of the brotherhood, yet you come back after screwing around in Versailles and it seems like you're all best friends again. You can wander around in the sanctuary without any problems and continue doing Assassin missions. It's like they just completely forgot that they threw you out...

Crossing Eden

Something which confuses me slightly about the story in this game.

You get thrown out of the brotherhood, yet you come back after screwing around in Versailles and it seems like you're all best friends again. You can wander around in the sanctuary without any problems and continue doing Assassin missions. It's like they just completely forgot that they threw you out...
That's more of an example of the open world gameplay not being hindered by the story.
Technically it would've made sense to lock the player out of the brotherhood missions and such, but that would run the risk of angering players who want to upgrade or get new gear, get skill points, money etc. yet wouldn't be able to because of the story. Which in a game where the devs constantly stress the idea that you have lots of freedom would seem jarring.

jem0208

That's more of an example of the open world gameplay not being hindered by the story.
Technically it would've made sense to lock the player out of the brotherhood missions and such, but that would run the risk of angering players who want to upgrade or get new gear, get skill points, money etc. yet wouldn't be able to because of the story. Which in a game where the devs constantly stress the idea that you have lots of freedom would seem jarring.

I know, it's definitely an issue with open world games in general. I just kinda wish they could take that sort of thing into account when writing the story. Or they could have a warning before the mission.

Honestly though, I would rather the game completely finish after the final mission, provided they give you the option to revert back after finishing. Seems a bit weird that after
assassinating a bunch of the leaders of the Templars
Arno just goes back to helping out random people with odd jobs :p

Also your avatar now makes me rather sad... :(

Crossing Eden

I know, it's definitely an issue with open world games in general. I just kinda wish they could take that sort of thing into account when writing the story. Or they could have a warning before the mission.

Honestly though, I would rather the game completely finish after the final mission, provided they give you the option to revert back after finishing. Seems a bit weird that after
assassinating a bunch of the leaders of the Templars
Arno just goes back to helping out random people with odd jobs :p

Also your avatar now makes me rather sad... :(
They probably do discuss these things before hand and decide not to do them in the name of gameplay. Play Dead Kings btw. :D

Dev Diary Elise
900x900px-LL-26410cea_xbonessunity.jpeg

Final Game Elise
oimhzz.png

kdkclh.png

Just completed the first time rift , and wow this game is blowing my expectations away. With the way the game was shat on i was convinced this was going to be mediocre. But I am a sucker for ac games so i had to give it a shot.

This might be my favourite ac game thus far.

Positives

• Graphics are amazing
  • Freedom of options in assasinations
  • So far the side mission stuff is great
  • New traversal is amazing (though still some issues )
  • Love that combat is hard, died more times in this game then any previous one
  • Love dressing my assasin
  • Coop seems fun

Negatives
  • crowd popin is pretty bad
  • stupid chests locked behind companion ap

So yeh my list of negatives is low, i didn't put in framerate because imo ac games have always had terrible performance. I have grown to live with the popin as well. Having said that i am glad i am jumping in late where most of that seems more stable.

I have heard the story fails to go anywhere , which is dissapointing, but i am loving the world thus far. Seeing the eiffel tower with fireworks/balloons e.t.c its probably the best looking game on my xbox one.

jem0208

They probably do discuss these things before hand and decide not to do them in the name of gameplay. Play Dead Kings btw. :D

Yeah, I'm sure they do. Just creates a bit of an odd disconnect between the story and the world. It's not a major problem though.

Yeah, I do. Just been running around doing the odd mission and a few enigmas in Paris. Will start Dead Kings tomorrow.

Adding on to my comment about your avatar...
I've realised Unity's story is actually really, really depressing. By the end Arno has literally lost everyone. His father dies, he watches his surrogate father die in his arms. He then meets his mentor and is later forced to kill him. He's then cast out of the Brotherhood. And finally watches his girlfriend and only real lasting companion get killed because she wouldn't wait one second to help him up. It's really rather sad...

Just completed the first time rift , and wow this game is blowing my expectations away. With the way the game was shat on i was convinced this was going to be mediocre. But I am a sucker for ac games so i had to give it a shot.

This might be my favourite ac game thus far.

Positives

• Graphics are amazing
  • Freedom of options in assasinations
  • So far the side mission stuff is great
  • New traversal is amazing (though still some issues )
  • Love that combat is hard, died more times in this game then any previous one
  • Love dressing my assasin
  • Coop seems fun

Negatives
  • crowd popin is pretty bad
  • stupid chests locked behind companion ap

So yeh my list of negatives is low, i didn't put in framerate because imo ac games have always had terrible performance. I have grown to live with the popin as well. Having said that i am glad i am jumping in late where most of that seems more stable.

I have heard the story fails to go anywhere , which is dissapointing, but i am loving the world thus far. Seeing the eiffel tower with fireworks/balloons e.t.c its probably the best looking game on my xbox one.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I do have some issues with the new traversal mechanics though. When running across the rooftops of Paris they're far better than before and work really well. However when climbing I feel like there are some issues. I really miss being able to jump backwards off a wall you're holding on to.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I do have some issues with the new traversal mechanics though. When running across the rooftops of Paris they're far better than before and work really well. However when climbing I feel like there are some issues. I really miss being able to jump backwards off a wall you're holding on to.

Yeh i agree the backwards jump is a missing thing, pretty much my only annoyance is when running past a corner/box e.t.c it still tries to jump ontop.

I love having drop/jump buttons, i dont understand why run cant be just run and in order to jump on a box you have to hold/press a, that way you can keep your running seperate from the climbing.

Either way its a huge improvement to past games. Especially the quick dropping.

As much as the pop-in annoys me, the huge crowds is amazing, without it , it wouldn't seem like much of a revolution.

Grisby

Haven't played Dead Kings yet but you nailed my thoughts on the game. There's some improvements for sure but still a lot of the same problems. I liked Black Flag much more
Black Flag was certainly a different beast. After playing the same game for so long, man, that sailing did wonders for the game. The side missions with the hunting, deep sea diving, and ship encounters were very welcome, even if they didn't require a lot of skill.

There's pluses and minuses about both. Blackflag had some great sailing, but the land stuff with the cities was weak. Unity has Elise, but Black Flag had Mary Read, Anne Bonny, and Adewale.

I thought Edward was a lot more fun than Arno. Edward basically watched the end of an era happen, and that little scene during the credits in BF was good. In Unity, I didn't really feel that much when (end game spoilers)
Elise died, because I knew it was going to happen.

Oh, and one last thing. It's like they didn't even try with the future stuff in Unity. It seems like they just gave up, while at least Black Flag tried to do something. The future stuff in Unity was just terrible.

It's strange, I think I liked Black Flag more but Unity did feel like it was getting back to being, well, what AC was in the first place. Big crowds and assassinations. They had the right ideas there, but messed it up with the level design and enemy encounters.

You know what though? Finishing all of those special ship battles was pretty damn awesome. I don't think I really have a story like that from Unity, although chapter 9 was somewhat of a highlight.

bumpkin

Man, I finally got 100% sync on all of the Sequences, collected all of the treasure chests (non-Companion), and finished all of the Co-op and Heist missions once. So why am I giving thought to doing all of the social club missions too? What's wrong with me?!

Fucking love this game. Infinitely better than 3 and my favorite since 2.

Crossing Eden

Yeah, I'm sure they do. Just creates a bit of an odd disconnect between the story and the world. It's not a major problem though.

Yeah, I do. Just been running around doing the odd mission and a few enigmas in Paris. Will start Dead Kings tomorrow.

Adding on to my comment about your avatar...
I've realised Unity's story is actually really, really depressing. By the end Arno has literally lost everyone. His father dies, he watches his surrogate father die in his arms. He then meets his mentor and is later forced to kill him. He's then cast out of the Brotherhood. And finally watches his girlfriend and only real lasting companion get killed because she wouldn't wait one second to help him up. It's really rather sad... [/spoiler

Yep, major example of Pyrrhic victory. Also you guys know that the jump backwards thing is still in there. Press R2+X.

Lizardus

Just finished Dead Kings.

I am glad I am done with this abysmal port. Very glad to uninstall it.

For story wise, someone was saying Dead Kings ties into
AC3
or something, I didn't notice it.

Black Flag was certainly a different beast. After playing the same game for so long, man, that sailing did wonders for the game. The side missions with the hunting, deep sea diving, and ship encounters were very welcome, even if they didn't require a lot of skill.

There's pluses and minuses about both. Blackflag had some great sailing, but the land stuff with the cities was weak. Unity has Elise, but Black Flag had Mary Read, Anne Bonny, and Adewale.

I thought Edward was a lot more fun than Arno. Edward basically watched the end of an era happen, and that little scene during the credits in BF was good. In Unity, I didn't really feel that much when (end game spoilers)
Elise died, because I knew it was going to happen.

Oh, and one last thing. It's like they didn't even try with the future stuff in Unity. It seems like they just gave up, while at least Black Flag tried to do something. The future stuff in Unity was just terrible.

It's strange, I think I liked Black Flag more but Unity did feel like it was getting back to being, well, what AC was in the first place. Big crowds and assassinations. They had the right ideas there, but messed it up with the level design and enemy encounters.

You know what though? Finishing all of those special ship battles was pretty damn awesome. I don't think I really have a story like that from Unity, although chapter 9 was somewhat of a highlight.

Black Flag was the first AC game I played and the only one before Unity, so that probably plays a role in my opinion. I've read that earlier AC games had a bigger focus on assassinations and I did appreciate their complexity in Unity, even though I found them frustrating for the most part (some of those had like 60-70 guards, wtf??).

But yeah Edward was a much better character to me, and I preferred his personal journey more.

Still, Paris was gorgeous.

Ugh the 5 star enemies are horse shit to fight. They dodge everything ad parry everything and it's horse shit fighting a dozen at the same time. I have the strongest armor and everything in the game and still die in a few hits, it's complete and utter horse shit -__-.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ugh the 5 star enemies are horse shit to fight. They dodge everything ad parry everything and it's horse shit fighting a dozen at the same time. I have the strongest armor and everything in the game and still die in a few hits, it's complete and utter horse shit -__-.

Enemy behavior depends on enemy type, not level. Level just changes health and damage, as far as I can tell.

Average build guys might parry some attacks, but generally don't dodge, and all of their attacks can be easily parried.

Slim guys parry a lot of attacks, and dodge gunfire when not stunned. They also can and will dodge out of a regular attack when they are grounded (though not out of gunfire). They throw bombs that blind for a brief bit of time, and tend to attack three times in quick succession, with the last attack being the only one that you can parry to set them offguard. They can also be caught offguard by the staggering strike, and don't dodge charged/power attacks.

Big guys can't be countered off their guard (though you can still counter their regular attacks to prevent them from hitting), and they can't be effected by staggering strike (using it puts you at a disadvantage) but are slow, can be interrupted by regular attacks, or by gunfire, and they are susceptible to charged attacks. They perform a special attack that grounds you and can't be parried, so you'll either want to roll away or interrupt it with an attack of your own.

Riflemen are weenies who attack with basic and easily counterable attacks. They are susceptible to anything, but they have obnoxious vision and high damaging, ludicrously accurate rifles (they also don't seem to show up on your conflict radar 100% of the time >:[ )

Guardsmen (kind of largish guys who aren't quite as tall as big guys and are usually standing guard somewhere) parry almost all of your regular attacks, even when they rear up for an attack themselves (though that does interrupt said attack). They'll catch a staggering strike too, unless first caught offguard by a successful parry. They are succeptible to charged attacks and gunfire though. They perform a special attack that knocks you off your feet, and it can't be parried, so you'll again want to interrupt it or roll away.

Unless I'm forgetting, the regular guards only come as average build guys and slim guys, at least on the streets. The red revolutionary agitators come in all types.

A few more tips:

If you know that your next attack will send an enemy into the "finish him" wobble, you can just hold the attack button and you'll do a finisher outright. This negates all defenses that the enemy might put up.

You can parry out of almost any situation, even if it looks like you can't. In mid-swing, during a finisher (causing the finisher to continue without Arno's presence), immediately following a roll, even in the middle of another (successful) parry. The same goes for rolling. In addition, the game doesn't always successfully display an enemy's life/behavior bar, leaving you a little in the dark about when to parry. However, that doesn't mean that the attack is unparryable, you just have to watch the animation itself and time it right. There's generally a pretty big window. This isn't Demon's Souls.

Don't fight too many enemies at once. If you can't keep track of them all, use evasive maneuvers and run. Try taking a few out with cover assassinations.

And lastly, every enemy is susceptible to bombs. Of course. *sigh*.

Crossing Eden

AC3
Ties into
game that will be set in Egypt. Also has the first mention of Eve since ACL.

Is anyone else annoyed that going into the first assassination
where you kill the guy in the confessional
...was done too well? I didn't get any other assassinations that compared to that one the whole game.
I poisoned a guy drinking wine, threw a lady out of a window while watching fireworks, but none of them as cinematic as the first
. I was pretty bummed out. They should have kept with that level of quality for every assassination unique kill.

Man the supreme being mission is too hard. Too many guards andthey all have psychic vision. They dtect you and you get a hundred level 5 guys all on your ass. Even with max level everything you die instantly.

Crossing Eden

Is anyone else annoyed that going into the first assassination
where you kill the guy in the confessional
...was done too well? I didn't get any other assassinations that compared to that one the whole game.
I poisoned a guy drinking wine, threw a lady out of a window while watching fireworks, but none of them as cinematic as the first
. I was pretty bummed out. They should have kept with that level of quality for every assassination unique kill.
Yea I admit I was a bit disappointing that not every unique kill had an awesome cutscene to go with the kill like in the original assassination mission.
Man the supreme being mission is too hard. Too many guards andthey all have psychic vision. They dtect you and you get a hundred level 5 guys all on your ass. Even with max level everything you die instantly.
Try Berserk darts+poison gas.

Holy. Shit.

Biggest problem with the game is now gone.

I swear I've tried that before though...
Game very briefly tells you how to do it during the
mission where Arno sets that building on fire,
. Like pretty much every other control "tutorial", it doesn't tell you that it's applicable to a bunch of other situations as well, like R2+O to vault over objects, meaning that a lot of people have issues with things like the boat scene because the game doesn't completely explain the nuances of the controls while it goes like this for me.
http://a.pomf.se/hopion.mp4

bumpkin

AC3
How long did it take you to complete it? Was that just the memories themselves or everything (including trophies, etc.)?

Lizardus

How long did it take you to complete it? Was that just the memories themselves or everything (including trophies, etc.)?

Couple of hours just for the story, there are 6 memories in sequence 13.

I kinda rushed through it because I was getting sick of the performance and wanted to uninstall it.

It turns out the hundreds of hours spent completing the Pantheon Companion App missions are just to unlock the in-game Helix Rift missions, which you have to then go into the actual game and search for a bunch of randomly placed Rift Artifacts in the Helix Rift Missions. Before ANY of the Rift Mission icons even show up on the map, it turns out you have to find the first murder mystery mission. And in order for ANY of the Nomad Rift artifacts to even show up in the Helix Rift missions, you have to completely finish all Les Invalides and all Pantheon companion app missions, otherwise they won't show up. Once you collect all the artifacts, the Altair outfit will unlock.

Fucking Ubisoft. Fuck you. I'm done with this series.

I just started playing Unity and the companion, and didn't realize this mess was at the end.

Is there any trophy related stuff attatched to the companion app? Or is it completely skippable? Not sure I care about the Altair outfit after reading this; I always unlock all the outfits, and never end up wearing any of them, and this is too silly. Also read it is buggy, and even after doing all this, you can still sometimes fail to unlock it at the end...

Edit: Was looking at the high end equipment and saw it was club competition locked. Read up on the club stuff, and saw that even if I did find a busy club that could come in first place week after week, I've already missed some of the interesting looking gear by playing this late, and it will take the better part of a year to get the rest. What a shitty, overly complicated system Ubisoft has come up with.

I couldn't care less about any of the multiplayer or integrated features all this stuff is locked behind. Shame I can't enjoy collecting gear sets in single player, or with a minimum of co op play. I think I'm with Benzy, this will be my last AC game. Just too much bullshit getting in the way of the bits I enjoy.

webkatt

They going to patch this game again?

I keep getting weird glitches in co-op where enemies appear underground or not at all.
And the framerate still needs work.

I really want to love like this game but it has so many baffling decisions that really sour me to the AC series. Why has four currencies?
Livres for Weapons/Gear
Sync Points for Skills (And you MUST do co-op missions to get all sync points, and yes you can solo them...mostly)
Creed Points for for upgrading gear.
And
Helix points where are pay 2 win basically.

And so many chests/costumes locked behind the companion app/initiates site

murgo

Finally finished the main story. Now I gotta do the last paris stories, murder misteries and coop stuff and the platinum should be mine. All in all it's a great game with a lot of flaws. I really hope they've learned from their mistakes and improve many things with Victory.

bumpkin

Cha-ching... Finished all of the Social Club Missions last night and got the "An Old Internet Meme" achievement. The only non Dead Kings achievement I'm missing is the one for unlocking all of the skills. Looks like I need to revisit most of the co-op missions to seek out the Sync points.

I may actually just dive into Dead Kings next and come back to the remaining skill unlocks. I think my wife is probably sick of watching me galavant around Paris in search of random shit, she'd probably rather watch me play something with new/more story. lol.
I'll do my Sync point hunting after she goes to bed.

Did my first coop mission last night. Only 2 players but i thought it was amazing. Having 2 people coordinate there air assasinations and just the right time feels amazing.

I never really got into the multiplayer in past games, so i hope they can expand on this coop idea and keep the multiplayer ditched. Maybe even next time the whole map will be coop instead of specific missions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone every calculated how much time, in hours, it takes to unlock all the "rewards" in the companion app. Because man, talk about not respecting the player's time. Whoever designed this should be ashamed of themselves.

dex3108

Has anyone every calculated how much time, in hours, it takes to unlock all the "rewards" in the companion app. Because man, talk about not respecting the player's time. Whoever designed this should be ashamed of themselves.

Too much, just do missions when you remember to do them and in couple of months you will finish them :D

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the Altair outfit fiasco someone on the Ubi forums got a reply from Ubi support.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/976858-Unity-Altair-outfit-won-t-unlock-after-collecting-rift-artifacts?p=10528335&viewfull=1#post10528335

Hello raducucosmin84,

Thank you for the update.

Our Devs have confirmed all the outfits that can be unlocked through the companion app will be made available in-game by default in a future update.

Our Devs also assured us the release date for this patch will be very, very soon! So keep an eye out for new game updates.

Thank you very much for your patience on this matter.

Kind Regards,
Ubisoft Support

Might be some shit the poster made up but hopefully not.

iNvid02

the altair outfit would have been nice a while back, basically done with the game now. did they put out the tessellation they were advertising with nvidia?

i want to play that ac chronicles china sidescroller and thats about it regarding unity

they should learn something from this grand experiment of locking shit behind other shit, nobody wants it.

Ok, tried to log on last night and play some co-op. Wow is it hit or miss. Rubber banding, not being able to control your character at times, and not making progress because it won't register the next mission marker makes for a bad session 50% of the time.

It's good when it works, but sheesh.

Paganmoon

Ok, tried to log on last night and play some co-op. Wow is it hit or miss. Rubber banding, not being able to control your character at times, and not making progress because it won't register the next mission marker makes for a bad session 50% of the time.

It's good when it works, but sheesh.

Has alot to do with who it chooses as the host right? It appears to be a random choice, where as it should check who has the best connection for hosting, shouldn't be that hard to send a few pings or do a transfer speed test or something.

Top Bottom