• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

There's a puzzle in Dead Kings that is absolutely not possible. You need to interact with 4 circles on the ground in order of 3, 1, 2, 4 (from left to right) in an extremely limited time before the first circles brazier extinguishes. Can't be done, tried over a hundred times.

jem0208

There's a puzzle in Dead Kings that is absolutely not possible. You need to interact with 4 circles on the ground in order of 3, 1, 2, 4 (from left to right) in an extremely limited time before the first circles brazier extijguoshes. Can't be done, tried over a hundred times.
There is no limited time...

Just getting to this now.. I'm about 2 hours in and I'm absolutely blown away by how pretty and engaging it is and I'm actually surprisingly enjoying it. The parkour and stealth feel hugely upgrade from 4 and to thus point it looks like they've gotten rid of most of the missions I hated

For the record my experience with AC series consists of having the first one, liking but not finishing the second one and playing about 1.5 hours of AC4 and then quitting.

This has to be the most alive open world I've ever played around in as well.

Does it get way worse or something because if this is the game I'm going to be playing for the next 8-12 hours this might just end up overtaking SO for my GOTY.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After trying to get into Dying Light twice and not being able to, I traded it in to Best Buy yesterday and picked up Unity for the third time since it's been released. Third time could be the charm as im actually playing the game unlike the first two times when I played Rogue and Far Cry 4 instead and decided to sell Unity both times thinking that I wasn't going to play it whatsoever.

Playing for several hours, game has positives but the negatives outweigh them in my opinion. On sequence 3. First the positives -

+Visuals, character models, animations, atmosphere, crowd, buildings, etc. all look superb. Arguably the best looking game this generation thus far.
+Music and sound is good.
+Story has been good thus far and im actually enjoying it.
+Like the Arno and Elise characters thus far.
+The missions and side missions have all been good and best of all, no eavesdropping missions as of yet. Did a Paris Story and a mission after renovating the café.
+The combat is better in my opinion as it's not as easy to just counter and kill the enemies. The kill combos at the end are awesome.

+ / - Stealth is better with the added crouch button but it should have been a button press instead of having to hold down the button. / The cover system is bad though as you can't just loop around corners and you get stuck to the walls despite pressing the button to get out of the cover system.
+ / - The Parkour is good in regards to being able to climb diagonally up or down. When dropping down, I like that the character will go ledge to ledge on his own with every drop down. / Other than that, the Parkour is as bad or worse than what im used to from Rogue and Black Flag. Arno gets stuck or climbs everything even when you don't want him to. Personally, I think that they should have stayed with the setup in Rogue, add the diagonal climbing up and down and just perfect what the character climbs and gets stuck on top off.

-Absolutely hate all the "online" and "companion app" stuff. I need an app to unlock a treasure chest? Seriously? WTF? A lot of features but yet, they're online only. UGH.
-Other treasure chests require Initiates to open them...again, WTF?
-Absolutely hate the "last known position". This isn't Splinter Cell.
-Not a fan of these Helix credits and all this other stuff when it comes to upgrading. Seems deeper but it's also more restrictive. Some abilities can't be unlocked until after completing sequence 9. Also, some stuff can't be unlocked unless I acquire it or complete a mission in Dead Kings. One shouldn't have to do with the other in regards to weapons and such.
-Absolutely hate that they took away the "human shield" element when in combat. Majority of the damage I take is from enemies shooting me from a distance.
-The present day stuff. Enjoyed it in Black Flag and Rogue but thus far, not at all. Hate the Abstergo Industries crap. Wish Ubisoft would eliminate all the modern day stuff. Just make the game historical between Assassins and Templars at that period of time as if you're actually playing it. Maybe, being able to alter history in the game would be good. I know the Animus is used to play the "DNA" of the main character but im just not into it at all thus far.
-While reading the info about characters, why did they have to put in some "wisecrack" remark from the woman in the present time in EVERY character, place, etc. info? I'm turned off to reading the info because of this.
-Too many "following" missions/objectives. Seriously, it's like almost every mission, story or side.
-CoOp. If im wrong in this, please correct me but if I can't play any of the co-op missions by myself (which I thought you could), im going to be annoyed as I wanted to try some of them out.
-Biggest negative though is all the implemented co-op and online stuff. It's simply too much. I loved Rogue and it was my 2014 game of the year due to the excellent story, elimination of eavesdropping missions and that it was a pure single player game. Too many developers are getting all co-op/online happy with the single player aspect and this needs to stop. It should be separate period.
-Despite downloading a 7GB patch, there's still some funny bugs and glitches. I love seeing NPC's in mid air still walking around or sitting down in a chair only to be warped ten feet away leaning on a bannister in the café.
-And of course, microtransactions. Granted, they can be ignored and avoided but that doesn't mean that they should exist in console games or any game for that matter.

With all of that said, im still playing Unity. Highly doubt that I'll 100% the game like I did with Rogue and Black Flag but im enjoying the game enough to keep playing. Hoping Victory improves on the negatives and eliminates the co-op/online aspects that are in the single player story.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
+ / - Stealth is better with the added crouch button but it should have been a button press instead of having to hold down the button.

-CoOp. If im wrong in this, please correct me but if I can't play any of the co-op missions by myself (which I thought you could), im going to be annoyed as I wanted to try some of them out.

1. It's both. On tap it toggles on and off. If you hold it, then you'll stop crouching when you release the button.

2. You can play the Co-op missions alone. Just select "play in private".

murgo

FInally got the platinum and 100% in Dead Kings. It was an absolute chore and I'm glad it's finally over. While I loved the game in the beginning, that love transformed into hate during the last hours. They've squandered so much potential. The coop was absolutely unplayable for me, the companion app stopped working after I spent many days completing those worthless missions. They took away human shields, the ability to grab and throw enemies and so many more things.

I will get rid of the game and keep the Notre Dame stuff. At least the figure, artbook etc are really well made.

They really have to do AMAZING stuff with Victory to get me hyped. I was an AC fan from day one and have played every AC game out there. But now I think that "franchise fatigue" has finally kicked it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. It's both. On tap it toggles on and off. If you hold it, then you'll stop crouching when you release the button.

2. You can play the Co-op missions alone. Just select "play in private".

1. I didn't know that. That will definitely help me out.

2. Awesome but how do you select "play in private"? That option doesn't appear when I go to play a co-op mission.

Thanks for the help as it's greatly appreciated.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
1. I didn't know that. That will definitely help me out.

2. Awesome but how do you select "play in private"? That option doesn't appear when I go to play a co-op mission.

Thanks for the help as it's greatly appreciated.

What platform are you on?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Also...is it possible to have dual wielding swords ala Black Flag? Thanks.

rnaud

Hey guys, just bought an xbox one and it came with ac unity and black flag. But I've played both games on other platforms already.

If anyone wants the keys let me know and I'll send via PM. (one key per person, first to ask)

Edit : And gone

Khayam

Banned
Then there ought to be an option. Maybe you've got to be online, but you can play them solo. Try hovering over a co-op mission on your map and see what options you get there.

Quicker through the Progress Tracker. Find the mission you want and hit Square.

Lulu23

They've fixed a lot haven't they?

I just borrowed this from a friend and went in with no expectations at all.
To be honest, I was absolutely blown away by how this game looks. 900p aside, I think the IQ is really good. Framerate was ok as well, only a few minor hiccups. I also haven't noticed a lot of pop-in, to the point where I don't notice any at all.

Edit: PS4.

Edit2: Ok, I judged the performance to early. With bigger crowds on screen in Paris it is absolutely abysmal, I thought it would stay the same as in Versaille village.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They've fixed a lot haven't they?

I just borrowed this from a friend and went in with no expectations at all.
To be honest, I was absolutely blown away by how this game looks. 900p aside, I think the IQ is really good. Framerate was ok as well, only a few minor hiccups. I also haven't noticed a lot of pop-in, to the point where I don't notice any at all.

Edit: PS4.
Yes, quite a lot.

Flandy

So how's the Xbox One version of this now a few months after launch? Did it or the PS4 version ever get a resolution bump and did the frame rate ever improve? Just ordered an Xbox One and think I might pick this up on Xbox One since its a lot cheaper than the PS4 version

jem0208

So how's the Xbox One version of this now a few months after launch? Did it or the PS4 version ever get a resolution bump and did the frame rate ever improve? Just ordered an Xbox One and think I might pick this up on Xbox One since its a lot cheaper than the PS4 version
It's okay...

Res is still 900p but you shouldn't worry because it's absolutely gorgeous. Amazingly so. The frame rate isn't brilliant. It's playable but there are some noticeable dips and it can be a bit painful if you're coming straight from a 60fps game. It's been improved from launch though.

I'd recommend buying it though. The game itself (when you look upset the technical issues) is really good. I had a blast just wandering around Paris taking in the sights. It's the most detailed open world I have ever explored.

mid83

I'm about to sell this game unfinished. I accidentally clicked on the icon to start Dead Kings and I'm only in sequence 7. There is apparently no way to exit Dead kings before you finish the first mission, which I'm finding impossible without dying. Maybe I suck at this game, but it's basically a game ending issue for me. I can't proceed without restarting completely.

I don't normally get pissed over stuff like this, but how hard is it to allow somebody to quit the DLC from the menu?

I'm about to sell this game unfinished. I accidentally clicked on the icon to start Dead Kings and I'm only in sequence 7. There is apparently no way to exit Dead kings before you finish the first mission, which I'm finding impossible without dying. Maybe I suck at this game, but it's basically a game ending issue for me. I can't proceed without restarting completely.

I don't normally get pissed over stuff like this, but how hard is it to allow somebody to quit the DLC from the menu?

I agree this sucks. I accidently started it around the same level as you, but i had upgraded my hear alot as i focused alot on cafe missions e.t.c first.

But yeh the fact that it

a)doesnt tell you its a dlc mission, just loads (it looked like a normal mission marker to me)
B) wont let you quit out without doing the first mission.

Lucky i made my way through the first level before i quit back to paris, but the whole integration is just stupid.

mid83

I agree this sucks. I accidently started it around the same level as you, but i had upgraded my hear alot as i focused alot on cafe missions e.t.c first.

But yeh the fact that it

a)doesnt tell you its a dlc mission, just loads (it looked like a normal mission marker to me)
B) wont let you quit out without doing the first mission.

Lucky i made my way through the first level before i quit back to paris, but the whole integration is just stupid.

I finally got thru it but it took a couple hours. Really soured me on the game unfortunately.

If it's cheap, go for it. Game looks great and framerate has been smoothened somewhat (though is still nowhere near up to par). There's a fuckton of glitches, but that's been part of AC since the first one.

Flandy

It's okay...

Res is still 900p but you shouldn't worry because it's absolutely gorgeous. Amazingly so. The frame rate isn't brilliant. It's playable but there are some noticeable dips and it can be a bit painful if you're coming straight from a 60fps game. It's been improved from launch though.

I'd recommend buying it though. The game itself (when you look upset the technical issues) is really good. I had a blast just wandering around Paris taking in the sights. It's the most detailed open world I have ever explored.

If it's cheap, go for it. Game looks great and framerate has been smoothened somewhat (though is still nowhere near up to par). There's a fuckton of glitches, but that's been part of AC since the first one.

Thanks. Picked it up for $10 and now I'm just waiting for my Xbox One to arrive

hydruxo

I'd have to go back replay other AC games again to say for sure but I absolutely find the parkour in this game to be sluggish. It's really put me off to be honest. I just remember having a blast just running around and jumping on buildings in Black Flag and I can't say I feel the same about Unity.

The tail the barge mission in sequence 9 is also really, really stupid.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it....just finished sequence 5 and thought I was fast travelling to get closer to the next mission which was the start of sequence 6 but instead, im playing Dead Kings and after reading the above posts stating you can't even exit without completing the first mission is beyond horrible.

The way they implemented a lot of the stuff in this game is just beyond horrible. And I agree with the guy that says Arno sticks to everything, he does to where it's beyond aggravating and frustrating.

Sorry but Unity needed another six months of development even after all the patches simply for the controls, cover system and movement itself because seriously, it's that bad. Black Flag and Rogue weren't perfect but through 100% in both of those games, my frustration and aggravation wasn't even half of what it is in Unity and im not even halfway through Unity.

In the end, Unity should have been delayed at least six months. That would have most likely solved all these problems or at least hopefully would have solved all these problems.

Oh well......on to that first mission in Dead Kings just so I can get back to the main game. UGH. So disappointed especially since I loved Black Flag and Rogue even more. UGH.

kaiiri

So besides all the gripes in the technical aspect... let's talk story:

I personally thought the story had SO much potential. I mean it started off generic enough with the cocky kid who becomes an assassin. But eventually they start the Arno and Elise missions. Those for me shined. I'll place the next in spoilers just in case:

I enjoyed their banter, their relationship, their story together. But it was too little too late. It didn't happen till past the half way point. What killed it for me is that they even gave tidbits eluding to a much more interesting future. In one of those letters Elise sent to Arno talked about their future; whether he would end up being an Assassin Mentor and she a Templar Grand Master.. or maybe something different. I was looking forward to seeing something of that nature. Especially when Arno gets kicked out of the Assassin Order and Elise pretty much as all of the Templar Order gunning to kill her. I was hoping for maybe an awesome origin story for a 3rd party Assassin / Templar hybrid or something similar (or even completely different). It just seems such a missed opportunity to use the setup they made with Arno and Elise.

Then.. Elise. I liked her character in the Assassins Creed universe. She wasn't the typical damsel in distress. She actually spurned all help. But what do they do? They suddenly make her ignore all reason and rush to death. As soon as she rushed off I knew she was going to die... and it sucked.

Anyway.... /rant.

Chabbles

Played this to sequence 10 last december, but its been sitting there for weeks collecting dust, and with no real drive to return for the last few chapters i traded it yesterday.
All in all i enjoyed it more than BF, but at this point these yearly AC games wow me less and less each time, i did like some of the long overdue refinements to the parkour. But a complete overhaul of the combat ,making it genuinely fun to engage in could revitalize the series...they could easily make this series much better in alot of areas, i mean instead of thinking up some new fun shit for the unlocks to play with in their world, they stripped away some of the basics we've always gotten in past AC games and drip feed them back into the game, talk about meh. That sort of lazy shit permeates the entire game. too many cooks in the kitchen and none of them really give a damn.

Just started playing and I'm enjoying it despite the texture starves crowds.

One thing though, I opted out of conversing with beard guy in prison expecting that would trigger a cutscene so I went and interacted with the bed and screwed myself. Any importance?

kaiiri

Just started playing and I'm enjoying it despite the texture starves crowds.

One thing though, I opted out of conversing with beard guy in prison expecting that would trigger a cutscene so I went and interacted with the bed and screwed myself. Any importance?

if i remember right he just says something similar to "mind your own business" or something like that.

Saiyan-Rox

The story is terrible, its getting redundant. Revenge blah blah and the series it starting to suffer without the modern day framework. The Ezio games worked because of it, there was a sense of what you were doing affected the outcome, or at least you would see the results of it in the 2012 timeline. Without it, the series has no directions. It made sense playing a particular bloodline although the way they told those parts of the story were bullshit. Add to it, they still make it like the future is still there. What is going on? The random initiate thing doesn't work.

The Assassins talk about the rebuilding of the Creed (no doubt by Conner) but there is little connection. Are there just Assassins doing their own thing now? Wouldn't they be connected in some kind of way since Conner would still be alive in Unity?

They need to give the Assassins a real purpose instead of this guy killed someone close to me and ALSO happens to be a Templar.

I loved the story for Assassins creed but ever since they
killed Desmond
I can't see where they're gonna go :S it's the same with resistance they could have had a great story but then they go
and kill of Hale
and bang story ruined and unfinished.

The ending of unity pissed me off way more than the problems with it
. It was like "oh thanks for playing the game.....not much else to say but yeah thanks"

Would I be okay just playing the main missions? I'm not really interested in all the side missions, and I just want to get through the story

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sequence 6 memory 1, the latest story mission isn't showing up, do I need to do more side missions?

No. After having that screw up with the Dead Kings DLC, I ended up deleting everything and reinstalling the game and current patch. I have ONLY played through the story missions and im currently on sequence 8, memory 2 and I haven't done any side missions at all.

No. After having that screw up with the Dead Kings DLC, I ended up deleting everything and reinstalling the game and current patch. I have ONLY played through the story missions and im currently on sequence 8, memory 2 and I haven't done any side missions at all.

No, you shouldn't need to do any side missions, fairly sure that your mission is located at the cafe theatre.

It was a glitch, I restarted the game and the story mission appeared again

Yoday

Patch 1.05 went out today. It fixed some crashing issues, MP connectivity issues, gear getting locked out issues, and completely removed the need for any kind of interaction with Initiates or the companion app among some other minor things.

Top Bottom