• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Yibby

Patch is great for cutscene performance. Before the patch i was below 30, now i'm at locked 30 (fps limiter in place).
But it seems that the hair was downgraded in the cutscenes ? Something looks different with the hair but i don't have any old screenshots to compare.

ymgve

Does anyone experience a complete freeze/hang for a couple of seconds in game?
I'm roaming around the first town/village, just checking the game out, when every couple of minutes everything freezes only to continue a couple of seconds later.
WTF? Is that the draw call issue? Does the CPU literally stops at that point or what? Dammit Ubi. :/

I have the same issue. Going offline might have helped a bit, but it still happens. I suspect it's caused when some background application demands some CPU and the game freaks out when it doesn't get the power it expects. Had a similar problem with Wolfenstein TNO and there I solved it by killing Skype, but still got a few freezes every hour.

ELCID777

Neo Member
Patch is great for cutscene performance. Before the patch i was below 30, now i'm at locked 30 (fps limiter in place).
But it seems that the hair was downgraded in the cutscenes ? Something looks different with the hair but i don't have any old screenshots to compare.

I kind of noticed the hair thing too. It might just be placebo because of the new patch, but textures during actual gameplay look better to me now. It's probably just me though.

Anyways, glitches and bugs aside, I'm actually really enjoying this game.

Yibby

Did a quick check and hair detail is reduced to increase performance. So it's more like a hotfix rather than a "optimization".

Old :
ibsv8fsPPvFUC0.jpg

After Patch :

Not sure if i like it. Maybe it's better to include an option, so that people with high end gpus can choose.

Corpekata

Banned
I would not doubt it if they tweaked a variety of things to look worse to get some performance. I swear distant buildings looked better before the patch, or at least the distance at which they were rendered was further out. But nobody else seems to be saying anything so it might just be that I started noticing it more.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a dev working on AC Unity right now. I'm sure they've been crunching for months and the devs themselves would have probably begged to delay the release to deal with the issues. I'm sure they are on full on crunch mode again but now they have to deal with all the extra headaches of patching a released title instead of just creating new builds.

UrbanRats

Did a quick check and hair detail is reduced to increase performance. So it's more like a hotfix rather than a "optimization".

Old :

After Patch :

Not sure if i like it. Maybe it's better to include an option, so that people with high end gpus can choose.

The fuck? This is across the board?

Also, why is the IQ shittier in the post patch pic?

Yibby

The fuck? This is across the board?

Also, why is the IQ shittier in the post patch pic?

Oh sorry that are just my texture Settings on high, not Ultra. I was focusing on the hair, not the other Details. And yes, i think that is for all the hairstyles.

Skyzard

Banned
Me from the OT:

I have to assume the console versions run like pure shit because the more I play it the more I'm loving Unity, and the more unfortunate the review scores seem.

I'm on a 780ti with 4770K@4.4, max settings except high textures and fxaa (which works well in this) and 2560x1440 res. The game is almost art.

Locked 29fps, never misses a beat.

9+/10

But if it plays awful on next gen then fair enough, that's not on and it should have been tweaked to be playable (and on lower config pcs).

Even with 3 other assassins (co-op) in a crowded Paris with everyone dropping smokes, perfectly smooth.

ELCID777

Neo Member

Old :

After Patch :

LOL.....wow.

Ridiculous.

Buburibon

Old :

After Patch :

Interesting, the patch did not change the hair quality for me. Are all your detail settings at ultra high?

d00d3n

Dsr isn't supported in Unity, right? Tried to mess around in Geforce Experience, but didn't find the option.

I tried to run the game with FXAA considering all the positive impressions saying that it is the best option right now, some even saying that is looks better than TXAA. I disagree with this opinion. The finer details in the facades of buildings flicker a lot with FXAA, but look stable with TXAA. The game is obviously set mostly in Paris, so it seems like a kind of big deal to have constant flicker on all the walls that surround you throughout the game.

pa22word

Old :

After Patch :

Probably for the best, that way the "SLIDERS TO MAAAAAAAAX" crowd won't have their feelings hurt and everyone else will probably find a command line or ini work around in a month or so.

What I failed to mention in my previous post was that it was stuttering even when standing perfectly still and watching civilians passing by.

When I saw that in a friend's PC it was due to some weird behavior.

If you then exit and reload the game this kind of stutter goes away.

But that was with patch 1.1, instead 1.2 seems to have made everything worse for everyone. It only runs better in cutscenes, but only because they pushed quality down a notch and they don't load anymore that higher LOD for the hair.

What 1.2 patch does:
- run worse
- lower quality, so it compensates the actual worse performance

(on another forum I read they add another layer of protection to the .exe because of rampant piracy, and so this might cause slightly lower performance)

seph1roth

So Gaf , after viewing some of your replys , you say the game is unplayable on minor hardwares but i see things like this in youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hUwfqvgTg

So my question is, are these people tricking us or is the game really playable on those hardware configs? Because if that's true, it's possible to play the game on minor hardwares unlike the minimum requeriments.

Corpekata

Banned
So Gaf , after viewing some of your replys , you say the game is unplayable on minor hardwares but i see things like this in youtube :

So my question is, are these people tricking us or is the game really playable on those hardware configs? Because if that's true, it's possible to play the game on minor hardwares unlike the minimum requeriments.

Depends on your idea of playable. That person is at 900p. I'd say the mins seem aimed at basic 1080p 30ish performance.

28-30 fps on less complex locations and lowest graphic settings (textures to low, no AO) seem plausible for a 750 TI.

It's still a good card, probably it keeps PS4 levels once you get into a crowd. The problem is that the PS4 runs at much better settings than PC on low.

seph1roth

Depends on your idea of playable. That person is at 900p. I'd say the mins seem aimed at basic 1080p 30ish performance.

Well, 900p is console style right?

On which quality runs the cosole versions? Medium, High?

For example

1080p - High Settings (shadows set to Low) - i5 760 - AMD 7870

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZb_REPylA

I mean, is horrible, but if this is true is not a PC optimization problem, the problem is the game itself that is horrible.

Well, 900p is console style right?

On which quality runs the cosole versions? Medium, High?

For example

1080p - High Settings (shadows set to Low) - i5 760 - AMD 7870

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZb_REPylA

I mean, is horrible, but if this is true is not a PC optimization problem, the problem is the game itself that is horrible.

The console version would most likely be using a mix high here, medium there, maybe even ultra textures. 900p and running seeming mostly in the mid 20s fps range. The performance on PC seems to be inline with what they're seeing. You're right that it does not seem to necessarily appear to be a porting problem but it's more fundamental to just the game itself. However, it is actually more brute forcible than a lot of other problem games. What ends up being unfixable with brute force is the LOD, pop in and general bugginess.

jackharm

Neo Member
I just realized that for some reason my game is still on 1.1.0 (can't figure out how to update the game).

This is probably a good thing for now.

Performance in this game is hard to predict. I'm running 2880x1620, all max except fxaa, and I'm getting a solid 60 atm. I'm sure I'll round a corner here and it'll tank (still not to Paris).

My performance was pretty great until
I went through the portal to later Paris.
From 60-80s, plummeted into the 30s. Even GSync can't compensate for that.

I don't know what happened, but after the patch I'm getting the same weird LOD issues that others have reported.

It was fine beforehand, but now buildings tend not to load details until I'm within 10 or so metres, if they load at all. There's an increased amount of pop-in, too.

CaLe

I can't even play this game at low graphical settings at a freaking reasonable framerate:

2500k overclocked to 4.4ghz
GTX 670
8 Gig Ram

WTF have they done to the PC port.... Ugh.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
v1.2 insta-crashes for me upon start-up. Thanks, Ubi.

Edit: Delete the config folder did the trick. Sometimes, things break.

Shadownet

Banned
Man, the stuttering is really bad now. Even if I play in 720p with everything on low. While inside a room, frame rate would go from 60 to 20 if you just run around.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
The patch raised my minimum frame rate but did fuck all for the maximum. I think it did most of this through messing with the LOD settings. Crowds and buildings don't look nearly as nice from a distance. Still playing max settings, FXAA, 1440p@30 locked with adaptive v-sync on an FX-8350 and 970.

ELCID777

Neo Member
I do believe that a 680 is the minimum spec?

Minimum specs were greatly exaggerated from what I've observed. A single HD7970 (one of the listed minimum spec cards) can pretty much run the game at ulta settings. Ultra environment, ultra textures, high shadows and FXAA at 1080p and get 30fps more or less.

There's videos of people running high settings at 1080p with a GTX 660, and it still looks and plays very nicely.

CaLe

Minimum specs were greatly exaggerated from what I've observed. A single HD7970 (one of the listed minimum spec cards) can pretty much run the game at ulta settings. Ultra environment, ultra textures, high shadows and FXAA at 1080p and get 30fps more or less.

There's videos of people running high settings at 1080p with a GTX 660, and it still looks and plays very nicely.

I have no idea why the game runs like total sh*t for me then.... What a disappointment, as I really wanted to play it on PC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea why the game runs like total sh*t for me then.... What a disappointment, as I really wanted to play it on PC.

Seems like it really shouldn't... A 670 is more or less on part with a 7970, I believe. Then again, 670s start at 2GB VRAM, right? I think all 7970 models have at least 3GB, so that might be an advantage.

Drivers up to date and all that?

ELCID777

Neo Member
Seems like it really shouldn't... A 670 is more or less on part with a 7970, I believe. Then again, 670s start at 2GB VRAM, right? I think all 7970 models have at least 3GB, so that might be an advantage.

Drivers up to date and all that?

Well, the 670 is actually just below the 7970's and 680's, but it's not that far off. A good OC will get one on par with them. He shouldn't be experiencing such poor performance.

@CaLe, are you on the latest drivers? Do a clean install and see if that helps.

bomer

Holy Hell. So, I decided to buy the physical PC Copy because I cannot afford the 41gb download on my 120gb a month limit (thanks Optus). After waiting for an hour in store whilst the Jb HiFi clerk tried to sell me a Ps4 Collectors and then a PC collectors edition, claiming they couldn't find it, I eventually pleaded the games guy to go out back and look before they eventually sold it to me. Ridiculous.

Am now 15 minutes into the installl. Disc 1 of 5. Fucking kill me. Will report back on how it runs on my new rig with 2x970s. Will be testing on 4k TV first, if it's unplayable will try 1440p monitor.

Spacejaws

Well, the 670 is actually just below the 7970's and 680's, but it's not that far off. A good OC will get one on par with them. He shouldn't be experiencing such poor performance.

@CaLe, are you on the latest drivers? Do a clean install and see if that helps.

Well as to low end performance I'm running off a laptop i5 3320m, GT650m 2gb which is quite a bit lower than your card. On average I'm hitting 20fps and well it's playable. I can see my cpu load hitting 70 - 90% and GPU running at 99% all at most 70 degrees so it's handling it alright.

What gets me though is the fps spikes. If I stay in the one area just moving the camera it can leap up to 30fps for 10 secs or down to 10-15fps seemingly without reason. Picked a secluded garden with no crowds trying to determine which processes might be slowing things down(although I suspect GPU) and disabling anti-virus protection etc but couldn't get anything conclusive, the fps feels literally random.

Hoping it gets 'fixed' somehow. The latest patch changed my cutscenes from 5 fps to +20fps so I'm actually kinda hopefull.

Deepo

Anyone else getting some serious stuttering? The game freezes every 2 seconds, just like pre patch Watch Dogs.

Is it happening even when you're standing still and just watching people pass by? If so, that's what I've been seeing. Locking frame rate in inspector to 59 has so far fixed it for me.

Serandur

I haven't played the game once since the patch was released, I'm just wondering is it possible to avoid installing it (switch uplay into offline mode?)? I'm not liking what I hear about it and my SLI 970s and 3770K are managing it just fine as it is.

Top Bottom