• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

I haven't played the game once since the patch was released, I'm just wondering is it possible to avoid installing it (switch uplay into offline mode?)? I'm not liking what I hear about it and my SLI 970s and 3770K are managing it just fine as it is.

As far as I know, the patch isn't installed until you run the game. So you could try going offline and see if Uplay will let you run the game offline without "upgrading" to 1.2.0.

Game play runs pretty smooth on my PC.

Everything on max but shadows are on High and not that special type.

1080p

I think its around 50-60fps

Maybe its my GTX TITAN

ugoo18

Been reading a few of the past pages and i can't decide if i should go for the new patch or not. I stopped playing Unity because my game was glitching hard (A couple of assassination missions nearly didn't work at all because i kept clipping through the targets when trying to assassinate them).

So in regards to things like that does the new patch bring any fixes/improvements for the glitches or strictly framerate boosts?

bomer

So after about 3-4 hours installing from DVD's using my apple slim drive (because why would I need a DVD drive again!), I was getting around 20fps in 4k, and 30-40 fps in 1440p.

Turned out my SLI settings had been disabled! :p Get a pretty solid 60ish fps in 1440p now running around Versailles village. Pretty good! Crazy though I'd be limited to basically 30fps without SLI. My first impressions were miserable but with the frame rate seeming pretty ok I'm pretty happy now. Game has amazing lighting and sense of place is stronger than it's been in years. I found AC4 didn't grab me because I loved visiting European cities I have a connection with. The high seas and the Caribbean didn't much for me

Running 3770k + 2x970 in SLI. Definitely notice the LoD for distances are pretty bad, and I never got to try 1.0 so I don't know how much was from the 1.2 patch. Hopefully these get ironed out in the next month when holidays start :)

Spacejaws

Just as a heads up anybody experiencing game crashes 'ACU.exe has stopped responding' and using Nvidia drivers may want to try rolling them back. The ubi forum users seem to think 344.65 might be bugged.

People are suggesting rolling back to .48 but that version has a bug that causes Alien Isolation to crash (goddamnit can no one do anything right?) so I've rolled back to 344.60 and I've been got a more stable(20fps) framerate with less spiking up or down.

I still seem to get a freeze every 10mins or so, with the previous driver this seemed to create a chance for ACU to crash whereas now it lasts a few seconds and the game continues as normal.

It's semi-functional for me now. It may all be placebo though alot of user on the ubi forums desperate for any perceived fix.

What does bloom do? Does it disable DOF? I noticed there is no DOF in cutscenes when disabling bloom, or are there some cutscenes with and without DOF? I get 0,8 FPS when disabling it.

Game runs ok on my laptop in 900p and high settings (textures ultra cuz I have 4 GB so it won't stutter while walking through town!), in large crowds I get 21-25 FPS, running through town and indoors 24(cinematic!)-32 FPS. I think that's ok not as bad as I imagined. Atleast its cinematic! At 720p I have around 30 FPS even in large crowds without the rendering bug.

By the way, HBAO+ is amazing. It only eats about 1,5 FPS and gives the game nice shadows around the buildings. This is the best HBAO+ I have ever seen so good job on the green side. Sadly I need every frame I get so I will leave it at SSAO.

However, there's a annoying rendering bug which makes the game sometimes unplayable. This can happen everytime and is completely random. Sometimes, I just have like 4 FPS less at the same place with the same NPCs its like the CPU clocks down (throttling) but thats not the case, I controlled it, its at steady 2.4 GHz. If I restart the game, sometimes I have luck and the game runs normal and sometimes not. This is not a memory leak it happens at low textures too. For example: I'm at any place in the game, and suddenly, for example in a large crowd, it drops from 24 FPS to 19. And stays there for a while without doing anything. A couple of minutes later or switched couple of times to window and fullscreen mode (its completely random) it goes back to 24 FPS.

Specs: i5 4210U, GTX 850M 4 GB, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, any of you had issues trying to activate unity on UPLAY? I did the mexico recommendation on Origin and the code I get "the CD Key or activation code is locked to another region". Any of you fixed this?

iNvid02

Hi guys, any of you had issues trying to activate unity on UPLAY? I did the mexico recommendation on Origin and the code I get "the CD Key or activation code is locked to another region". Any of you fixed this?

have to activate it while connected to vpn. can also enter proxy details in uplays settings menu under network tab. just find an mexican proxy or vpn and key should work, might need to restart uplay while connected to vpn/proxy.

All on ultra
1080p
Capped at 30fps

Doable on 770 4GB + 3570@4,0GHz?

yep

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys, I was using the wrong country proxy and that's why it wasn't working! :lol:
All good now!

kikonawa

I3 with ati 7870xt
runs pretty bad. How can i tell game is cpu limited? O dont see much difference changing gfx settings (without touching AA SETTINNGS)

Bebpo

Banned
I have no idea what happened, but I played like 6 hours straight tonight and somewhere around hour 1 or 2 (around 12am PST) the framerate got completely perfect. Like perfect triple buffered 60fps never dropping a frame EVEN IN CUTSCENES which is so weird as I was getting like 30-40 fps in cutscenes before and 50-60fps in gameplay with GTX 980 OC. But yeah, just smooth as butter all night long. Was really nice.

Only thing I can think of was playing enough that a certain amount is loaded into ram/vram?

Or maybe it has something to do with Ubisoft's server-side like those offline posts were talking about because the Ubisoft servers kept going down all night long.

Also I've still never been able to play a co-op mission with another person. I click "play in public" and it starts the waiting time and after a couple of minutes I give up. I'm not sure if this is a server issue or something on my side.

Durante

I3 with ati 7870xt
runs pretty bad. How can i tell game is cpu limited? O dont see much difference changing gfx settings (without touching AA SETTINNGS)
An easy way to tell if you are CPU limited is changing the resolution. If it has little impact you are CPU limited, if it has a lot of impact you are GPU limited.

comrade

I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5ghz + GTX 970. I tried limiting the framerate to 30fps to be able to turn on all the bells and whistles but I just cannot play like that. It's jarring when every other game I play runs at 60fps. Can't seem to really find a mix of things to turn down to get a solid 60fps either though. It's mostly 60 but dips down to 50 when looking at large crowds. Hopefully one of the patches they release actually improves performance.

I3 with ati 7870xt

Turn settings like shadows, AO, AA and bloom off, then change resolution to 720p. You are now CPU limited, if your FPS are better

Well a GTX 850M with DDR3 VRAM is double as powerful as one GT 750M with GDDR5 so if SLI is well optimized in this game you will get similar FPS as me.

What are your FPS for this game?

Ultimately it does not matter because I cannot download it on this horrid WiFi we have in NSA Bahrain. I will try to download it again during my next port in Dubai. Plus Uplay sucks for downloading as it seems to not pause but instead just start over if I have to disconnect from WiFi.

Damian.

Banned
So Gaf , after viewing some of your replys , you say the game is unplayable on minor hardwares but i see things like this in youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hUwfqvgTg

So my question is, are these people tricking us or is the game really playable on those hardware configs? Because if that's true, it's possible to play the game on minor hardwares unlike the minimum requeriments.

That is right where it should be, especially in that area. I have an OC 860m and get rght at 30fps at 1080p. I gain between 5-7 frames by dropping to 900p, same settings as them.

What are your FPS for this game?

Ultimately it does not matter because I cannot download it on this horrid WiFi we have in NSA Bahrain. I will try to download it again during my next port in Dubai. Plus Uplay sucks for downloading as it seems to not pause but instead just start over if I have to disconnect from WiFi.

21-25 FPS in large crowds, 24-33 FPS indoors or walking through town. Without the rendering bug I mentioned before. At 720p always 30 FPS+

So, very similar like the consoles, PS4 and Xbox One but with higher res textures.

So how big an FPS drop is there from Versailles to Paris? In Versailles now and performance is perfect, but I take it it's going to get a lot worse?

sgs2008

So how big an FPS drop is there from Versailles to Paris? In Versailles now and performance is perfect, but I take it it's going to get a lot worse?

For me not much of a difference. I also used e nvidia inspector settings as mentioned earlier forcing triple buffering vsync and forcing fxaa through the inspector rather than ingame pretty happy with the performance

dex3108

Is there any chance that we get .forge extractor for ACU so modders could mess with additional settings for game/engine? I know that there was .forge unpacker/packer for AC2 but i don't know if it is compatible with new files from ACU.

Lemonte

I don't feel like playing this due technical difficulties. Game is so cool but all the pop ins and poor performance really bothers me.

I don't feel like playing this due technical difficulties. Game is so cool but all the pop ins and poor performance really bothers me.

Honestly, the game's music and the atmosphere with all the details and architecture make me forgot about FPS and bad clipping. It looks so crystal clear and beautiful

Not saying fixing performance would be not neccessary tho.

LeBart

Great...

I spent 3 days trying to download this thing with crappy Uplay speeds and now it crashes everytime I load a save. smh.

Doesn't look like that many people have so many issues but man... not fun.

I'm going to upload another video of the 1.1 version is Paris for posterity. I'm still reluctant to upgrade because it is working very well for me.

LeBart

OMG Uplay is telling me to reinstall the whole thing. Not gonna happen...

Is it legal to download a cracked version of a game I bought?

Aren't there three levels of drop in performance?

Versailles -> Paris -> late Paris

I think it only gets worse.

The difference between Versailles and Paris for me isn't much but I went to late Paris once so far and it is a performance destroyer. My performance plummeted from 60-80 territory to mid 30s immediately. The interior environments were better but still 40-50 fps in small areas. It's a night and day difference. I hope you don't spend much time there. Looks nice though.

dEvAnGeL

I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5ghz + GTX 970. I tried limiting the framerate to 30fps to be able to turn on all the bells and whistles but I just cannot play like that. It's jarring when every other game I play runs at 60fps. Can't seem to really find a mix of things to turn down to get a solid 60fps either though. It's mostly 60 but dips down to 50 when looking at large crowds. Hopefully one of the patches they release actually improves performance.
your eyes will adapt, same happened to me with watch dogs and after 20 or 30 minutes or playing the game is just normal

Great...

I spent 3 days trying to download this thing with crappy Uplay speeds and now it crashes everytime I load a save. smh.

Doesn't look like that many people have so many issues but man... not fun.

I downloaded from Uplay. I started downloading and went away. came back about 3 hours later and game was ready to go. It's your broadband that's the problem.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Page file error lead to BSOD and corrupted my save. Uplay then somehow managed to corrupt the cloud backup and now I can't even sync from a fresh game. WTF Ubisoft.

Managed to get a stable 35-50fps @ 4K with all highest settings other than textures and AA.
15767619276_028273283a_k_d.jpg

15791287475_323506a2ae_k_d.jpg

Top Bottom