• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed V is not Japan, but is Jade Raymond's favorite historical era

Mathezar

I wouldn't say Victorian London is overused. The closest we have would be The Order, only this has a more sci-fi angle, what with flying machines, futuristic weaponry and weird creatures (werewolves?).

A game more grounded in reality and making use of actual history would be perfect to balance it out.

Egypt. It was a French dude that translated hieroglyphics from the Rosetta Stone right? So my logic is Egyptophilia has a deeper history in France than other places.
I'm with this, also because if you hack enough computers in 4 you find images for possible sequels and one of them is an image of the back man in Egypt with a pyramid behind him, exactly the same as the footage that was leaked and believe at one point to be the next prince of persia game.

K' Dash

Great shout

Biggest and most advanced city in the world. Tenochtitlan could be the hub world for the ages haha

Man AC really lets my inner history nerd come to life.

Please indulge me Jade. Please.

I'd cry if they recreated this, so beautiful.

The best thing about AC is that they can go wherever the fuck they want, and there are so many awesome places to visit.

Irate Drake

Neo Member
Man that fake release sounds good.

Just imagine Sherlock Holmes playing the part of Da Vinci, helping you track down enemies and solving mysteries.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
reposting because bottompage'd:

Disagree. Dishonored = Victorian London with some awesome fantasy, loved the game, but it's getting old already.

Developers say London and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is actually a much closer fit than London I'd say.

I didn't get London from it at all, I'm actually surprised to see it listed as an influence.

Arthurs_seat_edinburgh.jpg

What are you trying? Both game worlds are set in a victorian era/city.

First of all, no, Thief is not Victorian era, it's always been more early modern/medieval than Victorian; secondly, not every city of a particular era is identical. Edinburgh has a very distinct look from London owing to building materials and styles.

DeviantBoi

Man that fake release sounds good.

Just imagine Sherlock Holmes playing the part of Da Vinci, helping you track down enemies and solving mysteries.

Fictional character.

But maybe Dr. Joseph Bell, the person on which Sherlock was based.

And my ancestor, by the way. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Raymond huh. I guess Ubisoft Montreal will fiocus on the Pirate spinoff/series now that Black Flag was so popular among fans and Jade Raymond team will be main team for AC series.

I think Victorian London is a strong candidate. The aesthetic is a bit in vogue right now (Thief, The Order, Dishonored etc.), and it's a familiar setting that's easily researched.

That said, I think Nazi Germany would be pretty interesting, if done right. Unfortunately, the whole assassin theme might screw up any actual weight you'd gain from the events. I just think that a game that took place in Warsaw, Berlin and Paris during the war, and actually made the player feel like shit, would be interesting.

ultron87

Im Guessing this might be True Considering AC4 was hugely hinting this era

I Thought they were going to go the Egypt Route

Time will tell :D

That email chain is one of the weirder things I've ever read in a video game. It's fictionalized planning for the in-universe version of the game series you're currently playing.

It made me kind of love all the outside the Animus stuff in AC4.

Alienous

Now, I don't want to sound sexist, but perhaps London in the 1910s?

Arguably the most prominent female game developer of our time, I don't think it's too strange that the period in history where women's liberation really started making progress could also be her favorite time in history. And it feels about time that mainline Assassin's Creed had a female assassin.

That email chain is one of the weirder things I've ever read in a video game. It's fictionalized planning for the in-universe version of the game series you're currently playing.

It made me kind of love all the outside the Animus stuff in AC4.

Meta meta.

BTHR Zero X

Now, I don't want to sound sexist, but perhaps London in the 1910s?

Arguably the most prominent female game developer of our time, I don't think it's too strange that the period in history where women's liberation really started making progress could also be her favorite time in history. And it feels about time that mainline Assassin's Creed had a female assassin.

Well we did have Aveline, and since she just got a HD Make Over it was very nice. But I agree I would love to see another female assassin.

French Revolution - Napoleonic Wars would make a mighty fine new trilogy.

First game: Decline of the Ancient Regime - Revolution
Second game: Revolutionary Wars - Reign of Terror
Third game: Napoleon

dcx4610

Egypt please. It's the ultimate setting for conspiracies and the AC storyline.

I miss the underground puzzle areas like in Brotherhood. I'd love to see those come back with the pyramids.

Even though they said they would wouldn't do it, I still think a AC set in World War 2 would be interesting.

First of all, no, Thief is not Victorian era, it's always been more early modern/medieval than Victorian; secondly, not every city of a particular era is identical. Edinburgh has a very distinct look from London owing to building materials and styles.

I don't care about the details. These are Victorian/Victorian-like settings and I find Victorian/Victorian-like settings ridiculously overused.

French Revolution would be awesome... Like Les Miserables ;)

That said, Is there still a lot of Story to tell? Haven't played 3 or 4 yet so I don't know.

Too bad... Feudal Japan just seems so obvious to me, and it's a period of history and culture that I personally have very little interest in. The setting and gameplay just seems tailored for it.

French Revolution would be very interesting to me, from a historical perspective. The setting, though, wouldn't be varied enough to really draw me in.

Does this mean Jade is back working on AC? If so awesome, she is amazingly talented.

I thought her involvement was fairly controversial since I thought AC was the brainchild of Patrice Desilets but Ubisoft gave all the credit to Jade who to be fair was also a significant contributor?

AristoCat

Victorian London please.

Edit: oh, shit, didn't even see the post above. I hope that's true. Imagine the Jack the Ripper shenanigans.

Never thought of that. It could be really great !

I'm okay with French revolution or Egypt both are interesting, Vikings could be cool if the game takes place in land and at sea.

KORNdoggy

England circa Jack the Ripper or bust

this...oh god this. if i had a means to travel in time, via memory or not, it'd easily be the first place i'd go, if only to find out who actually jack the ripper was.

at this point i'd honestly want victorian era london...or, if not that, western america.

China:

-Warring States
-Three Kingdoms
-Tang dynasty during the An Lushan rebellion
-Southern Song dynasty's attempt to repel the Mongol hordes
-Ming dynasty: the invasion of the Manchus and subsequent resistance against the Qing
-Qing dynasty during the Taiping rebellion or the Boxer uprising

Do it!

JustinBB7

I've seen a picture of a female assassin in Russia, it was from some weird official ubi site where you play ac4 related games or something.

Then recently on /v/ I've seen "leaked pictures" of Assassin's Creed: The Great Fall or something, and today on /v/ I saw a full Assassin's Creed logo with Russian tints.

Easy to be fake, never trust anything from /v/, but after how pirates leaked last year I could almost believe it.

RedSwirl

I'm still pulling for French Revolution and possibly even the Napoleonic Wars. It's just too perfect a time period for AC in my opinion.

I really don't see how ancient Egypt could work with AC's gameplay. Maybe everyone pulling for it imagines Egypt being all pyramids and temples and stuff, but most structures in that time period were probably nothing like that, having been long lost to time. Perhaps medieval Egypt but I have no idea what that would entail.

As for Japan, all Raymond dispelled was the Bakumatsu theory. They didn't specifically say no to Japan in general.

JDSN

Banned
They have been hyping Japan so long that its gonna be funny when they decide to go to some era no one gives a shit about, like caveman era Japan or whatever.

I'm biased, because I'm portuguese, but I think that an Assassin's Creed set on the coast of Africa during the portuguese colonisation would be interesting also.

Top Bottom