• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed V is not Japan, but is Jade Raymond's favorite historical era

Scipio

Mayan/Aztec would be disappointing. It would certainly be some bullshit End of the World story, and there is actually nothing known about the history of the Aztec and the Maya.

Vikings, though awesome, wouldn't be the AC game I have in mind. Vikings are the early middle ages, so no big cities, primitive boats and lots - lots of raping...

Just pick a big city in an interesting bloody period full of intrigue. Think Dostoyevski's St. Petersburg Moscow, Paris, London, Kyoto, etc.

Epcott

Probably 2 games similar to how III was handled...

ACV Osiris - current gen: Egypt

ACV Age of Piracy - last gen: Online pirate similator

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
They will save Japan for the times when AC is starting to sell poorly.

Leb

I mean, given that free-running is pretty much central to the games, I don't see how they can use anything other than, say, a Renaissance-era (or later) European city.

Which is partially why AC3 sucked so hard and why the Vikings would also suck.

RedSwirl

I think vikings incurs the same conundrum as Black Flag -- it would be really cool to see a sandbox viking game at all, but I'm not sure it needs to be an Assassin's Creed game. Maybe if they do spin off Black Flag into its own franchise...

I know Nirolak closed the other thread on possible industrial London location, but hey lol. Hoping the rumor about there being two distinct AC's (one for 360/PS3 separate from XBO/PS4) ends up true.

*Senior animator for main character on AC*

c3wamZB.png

SirNinja

Have a very strong feeling it's the French Revolution. It was teased quite a few times during AC3 and 4, and it's just too good a setting to pass up.

Judging by when AC4 was announced (the end of February 2013), it's likely we're not far off from knowing for sure...

Albo

I would guess it's the French revolution based on her comment that it feels like "like going home"(though that's still a bit ambiguous). Plus it's a fairly predictable, safe setting where they could reuse their sailing system and continue soon after where AC4 left off. Probably the least interesting setting they could've gone with for me as a big fan who became fatigued with the series after AC3. I'll likely pass on this once again as I did with AC4 due to franchise fatigue but we'll see what they do with it.

emag

Apart from Egypt, what were the other Abstergo-proposed settings in AC4? That concept art is the only one that I found memorable (it looked a bit like that canned Prince of Persia reboot).

I'd still like to see China, though, whether it be set in the 1600s or around the European invasions.

EDIT: Posted a few pages back:

ac1.jpg

I don't play AC games for the story lines as much as I do for immersion in a setting I'd like to be immersed in. I'll play at least one more game set in the Caribbean, and would love a game in Japan or Egypt. I'm not at all interested in exploring Russia or France. We've seen those settings far too many times since the mid-90s.

Give us something we don't have. I'd LOVE a game in tribal Africa or Polynesia.

The 90's.

Seriously though, a game in ancient Egypt would be great. Exploring the Nile with similar ship gameplay from AC4 and North Africa would be amazing.

Ya, sorry bud but that's Hollywood Japan. Real Ninja's/Assassin's would be that farmer walking innocently down the street. Suddenly, he pulls his sickle out of nowhere, slashes some noble dude and runs off. THEY NEVER WORE BLACK! That was taken was traditional Kabuki theater where guys dressed in black against a black background were supposed to be invisible and they were used to hold up props and stuff.

Also, they were never bouncy or all that agile. Leave that Wuxia stuff where it belongs

Which is exactly what I mean, it wouldn't match up with what's in my head or what I really would love to play

MOG728

Anything set in Paris would be cool. Eiffel Tower would be awesome to climb.

Egypt would be cool to climb the pyramids -- as well.

Could there possibly be a interview out there where she touches on some of her favorite times in history? Like from around when she was basically the face of AC1.

Also, does anyone really believe this was their vision the entire time? There is no way with Patrice leaving and the changes in development that they have followed a clear path in terms of "Let's go from Italy to America to Pirates."

I wouldnt mind exploring England (Shakespeare era)

Lethtonium

Neo Member
I would really like to see the franchise expand and possibly go to some of the places we've seen in games that we know are in the same universe. Watch Dog's version of Chicago, FarCry's islands and villages, just as an example. FarCry's islands wouldn't be too far off of some of the islands that are in AC:IV.

M*A*S*H

Ancient Rome ! The Civil Wars with Caesar, Pompey, Marc Anthony and August. And Cicero being the assassin leader like Machiavelli.
Or Caligula till the year 69 (Nero, 4 emperors in one year...) .

Now this I could get behind. The classical era is unbelievably rich for this sort of thing. Hannibal, goths and gauls, the conquest of britain and boudica. The span of the roman empire gives you a massive variety for locations aswell. It also ties in with egypt through the Ptolemaic dynasty of whom cleopatra was the last of their line. The first ptolemy was one of alexander the great's bodyguards too.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Egypt, the French Revolution, Elizabethan England, Warring States China, or Roman Judea/Israel would make interesting settings, since Japan won't be featured.

Or just give us a Nikolai Orelov game.

Aesius

I would actually love to see the game set back during the dawn of human civilization.

Either Mesopotamia or Ancient Egypt would work for me.

boingball

Japan? Damn, I would start playing AC again. I loved the AC2 games (all three of them), AC3 was a stinker and made me quit AC (i.e. never played AC4).

I don't know who you're referring to, but in the event it's relevant: The guy that played Edward in ACIV is from Swansea, Wales, as Edward is in game.

Referring to the fact that all the games have to do with cool historical settings, yet everyone speaks english with a phoney accent. Why not take the Max Payne 3 route (a game I would usually never praise) and have people speak in their local language?

It is so much more... interesting.

RealMeat

Banned
I hope they don't feel the need to make it play like other Assassin's Creed games. I've done enough eavesdropping, and sneaking around on rooftops as a Viking would be really dumb. Personally I wouldn't mind them slapping the Assassin's Creed name on a very different game if it means we get a game in a unique setting.

Squire

Banned
Referring to the fact that all the games have to do with cool historical settings, yet everyone speaks english with a phoney accent. Why not take the Max Payne 3 route (a game I would usually never praise) and have people speak in their local language?

It is so much more... interesting.

Well, if you read my post you'd know not everyone is using a phony accent.

Lepcis Magna

Neo Member
Collapse of the Qing Dynasty, though controversial, would be cool to see.

My guess is the new setting has nothing to do with East Asia, though. Unless it's like Marco Polo traveling to China or something.

Ovek

7Member7
Egypt reusing the assets they made for the cancelled Prince Of Persia reboot.

If it is Egypt is will be the first AC game I won't buy and I even bought AC3!

Aesius

Egypt reusing the assets they made for the cancelled Prince Of Persia reboot.

If it is Egypt is will be the first AC game I won't buy and I even bought AC3!

Egypt would indeed be awesome, but when?

They have about 4,000 years of history to work with there and still have it considered "ancient".

Edit: Just saw you said you wouldn't buy it. WHY NOT?

DieH@rd

Banned
French revolution is a strong contender, although that would game very similar to many previous installments. That is something that Ubi badly needs to avoid.

ramuh

You bet your ass!

Thanks for those kind words too, take care buddy. Will miss everyone...

Good luck man and thanks for the threads. I'm going to miss seeing those. :)

I wish they would do some kind of re-boot or something though. And I wouldn't mind a Industrial age London (or the Cromwell years) or the French Revolution.

I think they'll have at least one more entry set around or featuring pirates, but it may not be this next instalment.

Completely off topic, but what does French Canadian mean? Is it different to just being Canadian?

How depressing to have to pretend to be enthusiastic about it. I'm pretty sure she said they'd be working on something new after Blacklist. I think she was also selling the idea of gender equality in gaming too, so it will be interesting whether any of this permeates ACV.
Was the Canadian question a real question? I don't feel like answering the obvious.

French Revolution has constantly seemed like the right next step, but it may feel like treading old water, since AC seems to be increasingly obsessed with taking the franchise to new places. Heading back to Europe may not be in the cards just yet.

Top Bottom