• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

danowat

Banned
Did the patch come out yet that somehow magically adds v-synch and a stable framerate?

Rumour is it'll come today with the Japanese pack.

That said, IMO, there is nothing wrong with the frame rate, but I will be happy if they cure the tearing issue.

Mascot

It's naff-all to do with Assetto Corsa per se (apart from the prancing horse connection), but I shot this video of the XX Programme cars leaving the pits at Passione Ferrari, Silverstone at the weekend. The fucking sound from these monsters. Jesus. Truly bone shaking. Mobile phone footage, and shame my S6 mic wasn't up to snuff to capture the godliness in all its glory.

https://youtu.be/OnlrtQCqeK8

Edit: and another.

https://youtu.be/_Vwe_ZJOB1w

VVV Mars VG

Like I've mentioned in various videos, you always get a more realistic sound when the mic is struggling, it gives you an idea on how loud these things are. Perfect mics aren't phased and don't pick out how ear bleeding loud these things are under acceleration. Good to get up close like this.

danowat

Banned
Rumour has it that the PS4 patch has literally just dropped, anyone fancy giving it a go and commenting on the screen tearing?

danowat

Banned
Thanks to my craptactular DL speed I'm still 90mins away from having the patch installed.

2.2GB apparently.

Also, it appears that the control implementation has been changed, so the settings will probably need altering :-/

Patch Notes

ASSETTO CORSA V 1.03 FIXES AND ADDITIONS

Graphics
• Framerate is now smoother.
• Screen tearing issues have now been resolved.

Quick Races
• Players will now be able to select their starting position in the race options screen. • Gamepad algorithms have been improved, resulting in better handling.

Controls
• On launching Assetto Corsa, the game will now recognize the device you are using, when selecting the ‘X’ button in the start screen.
• A 'Reset to Default' option has now been added that resets the gamepad settings to recommended values.
• Thrustmaster T80, T100 and TH8 shifter functionality has been improved.
• A new option has been added which allows the player to set the visual steering lock to a degree of their choice.

AI Opponents
• 2 additional difficulty levels have been added – 'Very Easy' and 'Very Hard'.
• AI strengths have been re-balanced, in response to community feedback.
• Algorithms have been improved.

FREE BONUS CONTENT!
• The Black Cat County track is now available as part of Update v 1.03: Get ready to enjoy its three different configurations: Long, Short and Intermediate!
• This fictional scenery comes with a bonus FREE car model, the Maserati Levante S, the first Maserati SUV! This is a great chance to enjoy the advanced physics level of the simulation with a different kind of vehicle.
• The latest update introduces a new technical partnership with SPARCO, an Italian company that designs, produces and sells motorsport safety equipment, seats and more. Some exciting opportunities to come in the future! In the meantime you can enjoy the all-new dedicated suits and gloves featured in the latest update of Assetto Corsa.

XBOX ONE PATCH UPDATE
Stay tuned! As soon as we have more info to share on the launch of the Xbox One patch, we will let you guys know. Please be patient with us and we will update you soon!

they sure are striking some cool "partnerships"... Ferrari, Porsche, now Sparco... and I really want to know how they got rid of the tearing. That's basically impossible without adding quite a bit of input lag as far as I know, ...unless you have a g-sync monitor or enough power to run the game at ~double the refresh rate of your display and then use something like nVidia's Fast Sync.

thelastword

Banned
Good that they patched it, we will see how it performs now. Tearing is gone they said....on top of framerate improvements? Let's see this then...

VVV Mars VG

Downloaded the update, tried a couple of courses, runs much better. Ran a 10 car race at 60fps, frame rate is smoother though not perfect in replays but all round first impressions look good. I'll record some footage.

MGR

Wow! Tearing is gone. Looks like we're all v-synced now which would've been a big problem if the framerate wasn't massively improved. Feels like 60fps nearly all the time. Maybe the odd dropped frame, but it's a night and day difference! Replays run smoother too but can't maintain the same pace as gameplay.

THIS is how the game should've performed when it launched last month. But Kudos to Kunos for following through.

Now, how about sorting out those private lobbies and custom button mappings?

ghibli99

No tearing, framerate's improved, additional easier difficulty now gives me a fighting chance to win races. LOL

This is great! :D

Wow! Tearing is gone. Looks like we're all v-synced now which would've been a big problem if the framerate wasn't massively improved.
I think, if it's actually just v-sync without even mentioning it in the patch notes, that's not cool. I would expect some more clever stuff... even some kind of multi-buffering might be better suited.

In PC sim racing v-sync is the devil, I can't imagine the amount of shit a sim-dev would get for just out-of-the-box v-syncing the game, excuse me, "sim", for everyone, which would cause engine-"backpressure" that adds up to over 100ms input lag in some scenarios. Not that most not-Alien level drivers would actually notice a difference lag-wise, but the outcry would be significant.

cooldawn

Just got in and I'm enthusiastically downloading the update.

Good to read about performance gains but I pray the controller issues are sorted out.

Kunos, please get custom controls in there soon too. PLEASE! Thank you.

danowat

Banned
Just got in and I'm enthusiastically downloading the update.

Good to read about performance gains but I pray the controller issues are sorted out.

Kunos, please get custom controls in there soon too. PLEASE! Thank you.
Which issues specifically?

Had a quick play, tearing has gone, steering gamma has been fixed, which means it will probably need adjusting from the pre patch setting, 2.1 seems to work OK.

cooldawn

Which issues specifically?
Gamma and DeadZone.

I'm hoping I can make steering more progressive now. I expect to be able to have steering adjust it's progression based on speed and I expect to nudge inputs without inducing full-lock and spinning out the car at low speeds.

Klocker

XBOX ONE PATCH UPDATE
Stay tuned! As soon as we have more info to share on the launch of the Xbox One patch, we will let you guys know. Please be patient with us and we will update you soon!

Better be one hell of a patch, after a lap or two I am routinely getting 15-20 fps for extended periods on Xbox Hot lapping alone!... wasted $50 if they don't fix this shit

Mobius 1

It's naff-all to do with Assetto Corsa per se (apart from the prancing horse connection), but I shot this video of the XX Programme cars leaving the pits at Passione Ferrari, Silverstone at the weekend. The fucking sound from these monsters. Jesus. Truly bone shaking. Mobile phone footage, and shame my S6 mic wasn't up to snuff to capture the godliness in all its glory.

https://youtu.be/OnlrtQCqeK8

Edit: and another.

https://youtu.be/_Vwe_ZJOB1w

I was at the FIA WEC 6h of Austin and didn't even bother to attempt capturing the glory using my phone.

It's difficult to replicate that reverberation in the air. The best developers can do is suggest it...

nasanu

Banned
they sure are striking some cool "partnerships"... Ferrari, Porsche, now Sparco... and I really want to know how they got rid of the tearing. That's basically impossible without adding quite a bit of input lag as far as I know, ...unless you have a g-sync monitor or enough power to run the game at ~double the refresh rate of your display and then use something like nVidia's Fast Sync.

What?... Why would reducing code bottlenecks (which AC must have quite a lot of to cripple performance to levels below similar PC hardware) produce more input lag? They should be able to eliminate tearing by keeping the framerate stable via more efficient code.

danowat

Banned
As the gamma setting actually works now, can someone clear it up for me, I know TylerDurdan posted a pic about it, but some descriptive text would help.

As I understand it, the gamma setting changes the thumbstick response from a linear path, to a curve?, but which way is which?, which way would you have to move the gamma setting to have a slower steering response across the first half of the stick travel and have it speed up over the last half?

Also, the tearing, wonder what wizardry went into curing that, hope DF will retest it.

As I understand it, the gamma setting changes the thumbstick response from a linear path, to a curve?, but which way is which?, which way would you have to move the gamma setting to have a slower steering response across the first half of the stick travel and have it speed up over the last half?
942px-Gammafrp.svg.png
Values under 1 translate small stick movements into bigger ones around the center. Values above one, would be what you want, but be aware that they amplify your inputs in the second half (all badly worded and mathematically incorrect, but still understandable I hope).
Though "speed up" is not something that gamma really does. How gamma effects the wheel movement over time depends on sensitivity, filter and speed-sensitive steering.
Also, wo don't know how dead-zone is implemented, will it just cut the first deadzone-% off of the rest of the gamma-graph or will it squeeze the uncropped/uncut gamma-curve into the last (100 minus deadzone)% ?
Also, the tearing, wonder what wizardry went into curing that, hope DF will retest it.
Yea, I wish, but I doubt it. I bet Stefano will answer it in a stream.

I was at the FIA WEC 6h of Austin and didn't even bother to attempt capturing the glory using my phone.
It's difficult to replicate that reverberation in the air. The best developers can do is suggest it...
The Nordschleife replay cams in R3E have some incredible reverb! (turn up the volume, guys!)
https://youtu.be/aiPxneoUzvU

(edit: uuups, posted prematurely... will have finished uploading in 4 minutes, sorry, edit2: now it's up)

What do you guys think of simulating amplitude-clipping in a racing game sound engine? I mean, gaming graphics simulate all kinds of lens-effects from cameras, is engine-sound clipping just "shitty sound quality" or does it help with the immersion to capture the unbelievable loudness that is capable of burning white-noise into your ears even after the whole field has passed your seating position at a racetrack? (somehow this question reminds me of the "chromatic aberration" threads)

danowat

Banned
Values under 1 translate small stick movements into bigger ones around the center. Values above one, would be what you want, but be aware that they amplify your inputs in the second half (all badly worded and mathematically incorrect, but still understandable I hope). Though "speed up" is not something that gamma really does. How gamma effects the wheel movement over time depends on sensitivity, filter and speed-sensitive steering.
Also, wo don't know how dead-zone is implemented, will it just cut the first deadzone-% off of the rest of the gamma-graph or will it squeeze the uncropped/uncut gamma-curve into the last (100 minus deadzone)% ?

Is the default setting (which I think is 2?) linear movement?, or is 1 linear?, think mine is set at 2.2 at the moment, which feels ok, my old pre patch setting was 1.8, which felt horrible.

Interesting point about the dead zone though, if it cuts the gamma curve that would make things interesting!

Is the default setting (which I think is 2?) linear movement?, or is 1 linear?, think mine is set at 2.2 at the moment, which feels ok, my old pre patch setting was 1.8, which felt horrible.

Interesting point about the dead zone though, if it cuts the gamma curve that would make things interesting!
1 is linear. I don't think you could really feel a difference between 2.0 and 2.2. From my steering app test, I'd keep gamma between 1.8 and 2.5 and concentrate on finding the right balance between sensitivity and filter... (or set gamma to 1.0 and then experiment with sensitivity and filter to get a feel of how they work)

danowat

Banned
1 is linear. I don't think you could really feel a difference between 2.0 and 2.2. From my steering app test, I'd keep gamma between 1.8 and 2.5 and concentrate on finding the right balance between sensitivity and filter... (or set gamma to 1.0 and then experiment with sensitivity and filter to get a feel of how they work)

Yeah, the fact that each setting has ramifications on the others makes things tricky trying to get them right.

Jamesways

The game is so smooth now! Love the steering lock adjustment too, no more sawing the wheel back and forth for minor turns. And the Sparco gloves are a nice addition.

Love the patch overall. But holy hell trying to find some good settings is taking forever. Tested and tweaked almost 3 hours last night. After trying all sorts of combinations I Eventually went back to the old pCARS/Shift games philosophy of sensitivity way down, steering speed way up. Filter I think I have near 65 and gama near 4.0. I like a little under steer in these, feels like I have more control when everything isn't so twitchy and prone to snap oversteer tank slappers from slight adjustments. I'm still not satisfied with the settings yet. These don't work at all for some road cars.

Dan, let us know where you land after testing.

No dlc yet on PSN. Kunos, please let me spend money on packs soon.

Mascot

I want this game so bad but there's no way I'm sitting in my £2k racing cockpit and using a fucking joypad.

Sony, you truly suck scabby corpse cocks.

danowat

Banned
I seem to have settled on, at least for the time being..

Speed sensitivity 30
Steering speed 9
Steering dead zone 10
Steering filter 50
Steering gamma 2.5

ghibli99

Played more w/ the patch last night, and this actually tore me away from FH3 for a while. There's something about AC's purity that I've always been drawn to.

cooldawn

There's a monumental difference now for pad controls. Changing numbers actually affects output so I managed to get a quick and dirty smooth experience last night. Even went online and won my first race!

Bingo!
I seem to have settled on, at least for the time being..

Speed sensitivity 30
Steering speed 9
Steering dead zone 10
Steering filter 50
Steering gamma 2.5
Your going to laugh at this but I changed Speed Sensitivity to 100 and Steering Speed to 100 and kept the rest default. It works...but it's a little lifeless. I do need to mess about with the settings more though so I'll try these out to see what's what.

Is it me or does Black Cat County have some AF problem? The road lines are much more blurrier than other circuits
Yeah, it's really bad. Never seen a game this bad...but I guess that's the price for the performance of this particular track.

Also online is completely barren bar a couple of servers. It shows how bad this thing launched at. Not only that online is so poorly implemented as well. It's not at all finished.

Oh and free Porsche vehicles coming...
https://www.gtplanet.net/these-3-porsches-are-coming-to-assetto-corsa-for-free-in-2016/
...but meh, a 2016 Panamera, Macan and Cayenne.

Oh well...at least there's RUF.

Jamesways

Levante body roll, wow.

Cooldawn, I'm glad you're finally finding deucing with the pad decent. I'm trying hard to replicate how it felt post patch. I'm getting close. Crazy how different everyone's values are. I've got sensitivity down to 5-8. And speed up to 82!

Dan, can't wait to get home and try yours out.
And I'm excited to dive more into the career now that the AI is adjusted. I'm actually winning races more consistently now.
Man the AI still love to pit maneuver you though. I understand sneaking a nose I but concede the line if you don't have it. Jeesh

cooldawn

Cooldawn, I'm glad you're finally finding deucing with the pad decent. I'm trying hard to replicate how it felt post patch. I'm getting close. Crazy how different everyone's values are. I've got sensitivity down to 5-8. And speed up to 82!
I just tried 100% for Steering Sensitivity and Steering Speed and it just worked but there are massive side-affects. I notice that even though Steering Sensitivity is at 100% because Steering Speed is also 100% I'm consistently understeering, so when I go in to a corner the wheels are always full-lock. Not only does it look stupid, it's completely wrong i.e. not a set-up used in real racing.

They absolutely need to change but when I reduce the parameters for Steering Speed the car becomes more unstable...and I don't understand that. I would have thought less Steering Speed means a more progressive turn-in and more stability because I'm 'turning-in' as opposed to 'flicking' the front wheels. It's all a bit strange.

So yeah, need to ensure that what I visually see represents reality but retain the stability and confidence for cornering.

Project CARS was easy to sort out...this is horrid.

I just tried 100% for Steering Sensitivity and Steering Speed and it just worked but there are massive side-affects. I notice that even though Steering Sensitivity is at 100% because Steering Speed is also 100% I'm consistently understeering, so when I go in to a corner the wheels are always full-lock. Not only does it look stupid, it's completely wrong i.e. not a set-up used in real racing.
I haven't checked this with the forums, but pretty sure that "speed" is the degree of most refer to as "speed-sensetive steering", meaning the way a full stick input will be interpreted at different car speeds. At 20mph full lock on the stick might translate to "maximum degree of steering wheel turn in the virtual car = 180 degree" at 60mph it's only 90 degree and at 120mph maybe only 60 degree.
"Sensitivity" should be how fast the virtual wheel can accelerate.
(Maybe I should have double checked, but I'm pretty sure)

Edit: It seems to be the other way around. "Speed sensitive steering" is called "sensitivity" in the settings and not "speed", sorry for that. At least that's what a AssettoCorsa.net forum poster said.

Edit2:
They absolutely need to change but when I reduce the parameters for Steering Speed the car becomes more unstable...and I don't understand that. I would have thought less Steering Speed means a more progressive turn-in and more stability because I'm 'turning-in' as opposed to 'flicking' the front wheels. It's all a bit strange.
Too much turn-in results in understeer. Niels Heusinkveld just addressed this in his Sim-Expo talk a week ago:
https://youtu.be/Mc0ED3CsfgE?t=30m39s
so, don't drive like this: https://youtu.be/thhv1BzDpAM?t=33s
(sorry, Team VVV, I still really enjoy your videos!)

danowat

Banned
Bit more time spent with the new patch this morning, and the driving with a pad is markedly better (or my settings are better, or its because deadzone and gamma actually work now) driving the Shelby Cobra around Vallelunga club is just sublime, and the improvement in visuals just makes everything silky smooth.

Shame that online always follows the same trend, 12 people start, half the field wipes out at turn 1 and quit, half the remaining field quit halfway through the race, which leads to there only ever being 3 drivers left at the end.

I was going to buy this on PS4 at launch but held back when I heard about all of the performance issues. Would you say the patch has made a significant impact?

Edit: I've been reading the comments about controls with a pad, which is what I'll be using. Not sure I want to mess around with the settings too much. I might hold out a bit longer if there is going to be additional patches for this.

cooldawn

I haven't checked this with the forums, but pretty sure that "speed" is the degree of most refer to as "speed-sensetive steering", meaning the way a full stick input will be interpreted at different car speeds. At 20mph full lock on the stick might translate to "maximum degree of steering wheel turn in the virtual car = 180 degree" at 60mph it's only 90 degree and at 120mph maybe only 60 degree.
"Sensitivity" should be how fast the virtual wheel can accelerate.
(Maybe I should have double checked, but I'm pretty sure)

Edit: It seems to be the other way around. "Speed sensitive steering" is called "sensitivity" in the settings and not "speed", sorry for that. At least that's what a AssettoCorsa.net forum poster said.

Edit2:

Too much turn-in results in understeer. Niels Heusinkveld just addressed this in his Sim-Expo talk a week ago:
https://youtu.be/Mc0ED3CsfgE?t=30m39s
so, don't drive like this: https://youtu.be/thhv1BzDpAM?t=33s
(sorry, Team VVV, I still really enjoy your videos!)
Yeah, Sensitivity is speed dependant and Speed, I figure, is how quick the steering wheel rotates. That's what gives my car so much understeer because it goes to full-lock so quickly. I'm going to have to dial that right down to something like 0 to 10 and then figure out how to stabilise the car.

To my mind this is a really bizarre set of circumstances. Progressive control shouldn't de-stabalise a car as much as it does. Not too sure what's going on with the physics in that regard but it certainly doesn't feel as natural as other racing games.

Additionally I really do think low-speed physics still need some work and they need to sort out the grass/sand-trap physics too (I mean you can spin out from a stand still in the sand way too easily, it's ridiculous!).

danowat

Banned
Yeah, Sensitivity is speed dependant and Speed, I figure, is how quick the steering wheel rotates. That's what gives my car so much understeer because it goes to full-lock so quickly. I'm going to have to dial that right down to something like 0 to 10 and then figure out how to stabilise the car.

To my mind this is a really bizarre set of circumstances. Progressive control shouldn't de-stabalise a car as much as it does. Not too sure what's going on with the physics in that regard but it certainly doesn't feel as natural as other racing games.

Additionally I really do think low-speed physics still need some work and they need to sort out the grass/sand-trap physics too (I mean you can spin out from a stand still in the sand way too easily, it's ridiculous!).

Low speed physics seems to be an endemic issue with racing sums.

I bought the game when it was early access on steam but it kinda runs like crap on my old pc so I didn't play it that much.
Would love to get it for PS4 and use my G27. Is that somehow possible?

Derko1

Neo Member
I just purchased the game and I'm so disappointed that the hud in game is tiny at 4k. Is there anyway of modifying it to scale with the resolution?

I think the low-speed physics are absolutely amazing, must be an issue with the gamepad. The low-rev torque build-up and throttle response is inaccurate, but I think that's not what you mean.

I wish you guys had comparisons how all the games drive and feel with a wheel.

Top Bottom