• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

danowat

Banned
Little annoyed that the console version still hasn't had a new update, and that the PC version was had the first Porsche pack, and there is a trailer for the second Porsche pack, where the console version hasn't even had the first one released yet.

These PC to console ports really shows up the two tier nature of games development, it happens in many games (KSP, Everspace), the console version just gets left behind.

CaVaYeRo

Little annoyed that the console version still hasn't had a new update, and that the PC version was had the first Porsche pack, and there is a trailer for the second Porsche pack, where the console version hasn't even had the first one released yet.

These PC to console ports really shows up the two tier nature of games development, it happens in many games (KSP, Everspace), the console version just gets left behind.

Well, check Kunos' own words in that regard in my previous post:

505, Kunos and Porsche held a presentation event the other day for all the new content at Vallelunga. The co-op work behind all this and the recreation of the new Porsche cars (both looks and handling) is just amazing. Had the chance to compare vs the real deal and it's scaringly natural when you go from driving to sitting on the sim.

We have report on the event, interviews with Kunos, Porsche, etc. Plenty of talk, but ask if in doubt.

They even brought the crazy beast 918 Spyder to the venue o_O

It's of course a pretty small studio, have to do everything step by step and console version was huge task for them. They have to naturally prioritize PC where it all begun, make it bigger and more polished, take care of that audience first, then port to consoles.

Console Porsche Pack 1 is releasing on the 29th, and 2 in December, which isn't that much of a wait imo :)

It's not like we're talking of an expansive AAA studio with ten times the budget.

Karak

I'll disagree, customers are customers, there shouldn't be a two tier system of updates.

Ya agreed nor does that jive with anything I have ever heard from multiplat devs at least not close to this kind of extent. Patches/DLC are always worked on at the same time...unless it sold terribly in which case support could be less than spotty and more verbal than anything.
We have seen smaller devs push out updates with far more frequency across channels. So not sure whats up.

They have to naturally prioritize PC where it all begun, make it bigger and more polished, take care of that audience first, then port to consoles.

Console Porsche Pack 1 is releasing on the 29th, and 2 in December, which isn't that much of a wait imo :)

It's not like we're talking of an expansive AAA studio with ten times the budget.
No, I love AC and I could understand the situation if the agreed to a certain release window with Porsche for their cars, but this is not the way you bring your game to the consoles. The goal must be to have both version on par at least gameplay-, if not performance-wise as well - and on par day and date that is. If cert is problematic, about a week difference is still ok.

It also shouldn't have anything to do with them being a small studio. Unless they're close to bankruptcy they should be able to wait it out and direct their resources to the next patch and content already. They asked for an almost full AAA price that has gone down significantly already, screwing over the people who bought the game day1 and are waiting for it to get where they saw it was on the PC even before the console release, ...which also was advertised as being without differences in the gameplay to the PC version (it was mostly said in the context of not being "dumbed down" for console gamers though).

Also don't forget that some console customers might have given them the DLC money further in advance than even the PC guys by buying the season pass that not only includes the Porsche packs like on the PC.

Even on the PC there are things in their patch schedule that I dislike, for example how they handle the tire model patches from model 7 to 10. Don't make the customer beta test your tire model. If it's good, release it for ALL cars in the same patch and don't argue that the older tire model is still good enough for most cars. If it is good enough, then it should be good enough for all cars and won't need a newer model.

The "the game transforms after release" / "games as a service" -thing is really hit and miss. If this was FM or GT, we just wouldn't see any changes to the tire, electronics and aero modeling after release ever (unless something is broken), because they would just save those ideas for the next iteration of the game even though it might be a fantastic idea that can be implemented within a few days, ...but on the good side it's consistent and nobody feels screwed.
I think, I prefer the AC and pCARS approach (or PC sim in general), but some more professionalism would be nice sometimes.

LostDonkey

I'll disagree, customers are customers, there shouldn't be a two tier system of updates.

You can disagree all you want. The fact is this game wouldn't exist without the PC players who funded it in early access and who poured money into the dream packs and dlc that came before the console version was even considered.

It is primarily a PC simulator that has been ported over to consoles and that development will continue with each and every update. At least look at it that when the console updates do come they will have had most bugs already ironed out from the PC side.

danowat

Banned
You can disagree all you want. The fact is this game wouldn't exist without the PC players who funded it in early access and who poured money into the dream packs and dlc that came before the console version was even considered.

It is primarily a PC simulator that has been ported over to consoles and that development will continue with each and every update. At least look at it that when the console updates do come they will have had most bugs already ironed out from the PC side.

This attitude is all wrong.

LostDonkey

This attitude is all wrong.

It's not an attitude, it's the reality of the situation.

This is a team of 30 people. Thirty. Just let that sink in.

This isn't some multi million dollar studio that can farm out tasks to outsourcing and speed up development.

Correct, disagree and not buy anything from them ever again all he wants if they don't push for equality between their customers. You really want AC and a possible AC2 to fail on console, right?

Also... try to tell that story to PC gamers who bought Dark Souls day1 (minus a Durante patch). You don't think, there might be something to the responses you'd get?!

danowat

Banned
It's not an attitude, it's the reality of the situation.

This is a team of 30 people. Thirty. Just let that sink in.

This isn't some multi million dollar studio that can farm out tasks to outsourcing and speed up development.

I get that it's 30 people, if both platforms were at the same point, I wouldn't care, I know things take time.

That comes across as very pompous, it's not a unique attitude, it's an attitude I see alot.

danowat

Banned
Just to reinforce the two tier nature of the game, Kunos has confirmed that two (arguably standard) features that the PC version has won't be coming to the console versions, namely the "showroom" feature and photomode.

Disappointing, but I guess us console plebs have to put up with this.

The only thing you are really missing out on, is any kind of camera rotating around the car preview, the showrooms are not great and the photomode might be more open than the one from Project CARS, but the controls are very bad (DOF feature is basically useless because of this).
Might be that Kunos looks back on those features with a little bit of embarrassment and that's why they don't want to put any resources into porting them to console, they'd probably ditch the current ones and start from scratch before they'd do that, which of course they won't do either this far into development and with so many other things on their to-do list.

danowat

Banned
The only thing you are really missing out on, is any kind of camera rotating around the car preview, the showrooms are not great and the photomode might be more open than the one from Project CARS, but the controls are very bad (DOF feature is basically useless because of this).
Might be that Kunos looks back on those features with a little bit of embarrassment and that's why they don't want to put any resources into porting them to console, they'd probably ditch the current ones and start from scratch before they'd do that, which of course they won't do either this far into development and with so many other things on their to-do list.

I guess you could be right if that's the case.

U2NUMB

So bought the game on sale this week.. finally got around to trying it and I can not even select anything in the main menu. Nothing works.. playing on the X1 and I can not navigate the main menu. Anyone know whats up? Only button that works is the xbox buttom which goes back to the dash.

EDIT: Full shut down of console did the trick.. restart did not. Odd..

U2NUMB

No idea, I assume you're all patched up to the latest and the game is fully downloaded?

Yep I am and got it working...
but HOLY SHIT.. this game is like 5fps .. I have a headache from one lap.. glad I did not break the bank with this purchase... my God how does this get released. I am not picky when it comes to frames but this is insane.

danowat

Banned
but HOLY SHIT.. this game is like 5fps .. I have a headache from one lap.. glad I did not break the bank with this purchase... my God how does this get released. I am not picky when it comes to frames but this is insane.
I've not played it on Xbox, framerate has always been fine for me on PS4, there are lots of things wrong with this game, but performance hasn't been one of them for me.

MGR

Try putting your Xbox into offline mode.

danowat

Banned
Porsche pack is out on PS4, £5.79, purchased and downloaded, can't use because they haven't updated the game yet..........pffftt......

So the Xbox version hasn't been fixed?

danowat

Banned
So the Xbox version hasn't been fixed?

To top it all off, they have had to delay the XBO 1.09 patch and Porsche pack.

XBOX ONE UPDATE & DLC LAUNCH
Unfortunately, we have encountered some problems with the Xbox One update and we are unable to launch the patch and Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC tomorrow. The team at Kunos are working flat out right now and doing all they can to solve the issues, resubmit and bring the update, along with the Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC, to Xbox One as soon as possible! Stay tuned to our community channels… We will update you as and when we can with more information.

danowat

Banned
Patch notes

Today, we want to talk with you guys about the upcoming Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC for console. For those who are unaware, the Porsche Pack Volume 1 introduces some of the most iconic Porsche cars ever created, coupled with some of the most recent models of the Porsche 2016 line-up, with the aim to offer a perfect mix between road cars, hypercars, as well as modern and historic GT and racing models. Here’s what you can expect in the first DLC pack…
Porsche 911 Carrera S
Porsche 918 Spyder
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0
Porsche 718 Cayman S
Porsche 917/30 Spyder
Porsche 935/78 ‘Moby Dick’
Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
Not only that, but we’re preparing to launch Update v 1.09, which brings a bunch of features, changes and fixes to Assetto Corsa…

UPDATE V 1.09 FIXES AND CHANGES
– Upgraded physics engine and network protocol to bring them in line with the PC version of Assetto Corsa as of release 1.9

– Upgraded FMOD to latest 1.08, and done a lot of tweaks and fixes to the audio of all cars

– Fixed some problems with the AI on race start

– Fixed crash when suspending the game during a multiplayer race

– Fixed a recurring crash with Special Events, caused by a certain sequence of actions in the launcher

– Fixed bug that blocked users from pushing turbo to 100%

– Fixed bug with Traction Control level selection

– Fixed several translation issues

– Fixed a degenerate collision triangle in Brands Hatch that was causing the simulation to break when hitting it

– Added support for visible checkpoints in Time Attack mode

– Added new controls presets

– Added support for Porsche-specific car features and Special Events

– Added support for DLC content: Porsche Pack #1

– Added driver skins

FREE BONUS CONTENT
As part of Version 1.09, we’ll be giving our players 2 pieces of FREE bonus content… The brand new and recently unveiled Porsche Panamera G2 Turbo, the latest luxury saloon model manufactured by Porsche, as well as the historic version of the Silverstone circuit!

PLAYSTATION 4 UPDATE & DLC LAUNCH
We’re pleased to announce that the Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC will launch tomorrow, along with Update v 1.09. We cannot wait to hear your thoughts, so be sure to download the update, give the DLC a go and let us know your thoughts!

As for our players in Asia, the Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC can be downloaded on December 6th.

XBOX ONE UPDATE & DLC LAUNCH
Unfortunately, we have encountered some problems with the Xbox One update and we are unable to launch the patch and Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC tomorrow. The team at Kunos are working flat out right now and doing all they can to solve the issues, resubmit and bring the update, along with the Porsche Pack Vol. 1 DLC, to Xbox One as soon as possible! Stay tuned to our community channels… We will update you as and when we can with more information.

SUPPORT
Remember, if you are experiencing issues with the console edition of Assetto Corsa, we want to help! Please follow the below steps in order to help us help you…

1 – Firstly, we encourage you to search the CONSOLE LOUNGE and the sub-forums for a solution to your issue.

2 – If you are unable to find the answer you are looking for, then please check out our FAQ’s. This will be updated as and when required.

3 – Should you wish to speak to someone directly, please head over to the 505 GAMES SUPPORT portal and log a ticket. A member of our Customer Support team will be in touch to help you.

Just to reinforce the two tier nature of the game, Kunos has confirmed that two (arguably standard) features that the PC version has won't be coming to the console versions, namely the "showroom" feature and photomode.

Disappointing, but I guess us console plebs have to put up with this.
I'll swap the PC showroom and photomode for the console UI.

plidex

I wanted to go for the platinum but it seems impossible to get gold medals on the drift special events, I can't even get bronzes. Any tips? I'm playing with a wheel.

danowat

Banned
I wanted to go for the platinum but it seems impossible to get gold medals on the drift special events, I can't even get bronzes. Any tips? I'm playing with a wheel.

It's all about chaining drifts for combos, rather than the drifts themselves, so you have to "weave" drift all the straights as well.

danowat

Banned
So a rock-solid v-synched 60fps now? Tempted if so.

I don't think there have been any technical analysis on it since the patch, so I couldn't say that with 100% conviction, but it's at least as good as PCars in the performance, physics are miles ahead of anything else on consoles though.

danowat

Banned
The new patch has added a slew of bugs, many don't affect me, apart from the timing bug where the delta and hotlap ghost are out of snyc.

Otherwise, the Porsche pack is pretty damn good, question to PC players with the pack, in the 918 can you turn TC off?, you can't on the console because the MGU and TC share the same button, so you can adjust the MGU but not TC.

Jamesways

I haven't posted on GAF in a long time, thanks for the impressions Dan! How is the GT4 to race around?

I'm disappointed that the DLC isn't out for NA on PSN. Update happened, and it's nice to get to the regular gear shift button preset I use in other games, and the Porsche cars are there but there's no way to download them. Content not available message pops up when trying through the game, and no pack on the store.

I wonder if they ran into issues and pulled it?

Ah well, it was nice to do a few laps in the freebie. It's refreshing after not playing this for a while that the handling still feels so damn good.

danowat

Banned
The patch has introduced a number of nasty bugs, so maybe they have decided to hold it back, that said, those bugs seem to be related to steering wheels and as I am a luddite on a pad, they tend not to affect me.

I've driven every car in the pack, and these were my impressions.

Porsche 718 Cayman S.

A bit vanilla compared to the other cars, but that doesn't mean it's bad, once the tyres are warmed up it's a very stable, if not overly quick car to drive, you can be very consistent with it, doesn't have the immediate fun factor of the other cars, but is still nice to drive.

Porsche 911 Carrera S

This one feels odd, sure it's fast, but it handles like a tank, almost feels like a heavy AWD car, if you don't get the rear end out, you can get a TON of understeer, front end feels all bouncy too, once you get your head around how it handles, it's not a bad car, but just requires a certain driving style to get the most out of it.

Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0

Beautiful car, everything about it is just right, sounds great, looks great, handles amazingly, and it just loves to slide, and it does so in such a friendly way that you can just get it to start sliding and let the car do it's thing and it won't bite your arms off, one of the highlights of the pack.

Porsche 917/30 Spyder

Lunatic!, power, power, power and more power, even with those huge rear tyres you only have to look at the throttle to get them to break traction, and when it does, it does so fast.
You really need to keep on top of this car because it doesn't have great brakes and is a bit of a beast to get round slow corners, and then POWER!!!!, if you can manage to string together two good consecutive laps, you're doing well!
Sounds are a bit muted in game, with the wind noise drowning out the engine at high speeds (which happen a lot in this car!), second highlight of the pack.

Porsche 918 Spyder

Pure rocketship, wind down the MGU recovery a little bit to tame the rear end, and put the boost on hotlap mode and watch it go!.
Unfortunately you can't turn the traction control off, so that tempers the fun somewhat, but boy is it fast, I have yet to do any laptime comparisons with the P1 or LaFerrari, but I look forward to doing so!

Porsche 935/78 ‘Moby Dick’

This car is nuts, it's very tail happy, and the turbo lag is just phenomenal, no power, no power, here comes to boost........HOLD ON!.
Tough car to drive consistently, but a heck of a lot of fun to try and tame.

Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Pure GT car, very stiff, linear power delivery, quite tame to drive, not particularly exciting to hotlap, but that's not it's forte, it excels at close pack racing, and it's quite docile when doing so.

Porsche Panamera G2 Turbo

After driving the other cars in the pack, this just feels dead to drive, very little feedback from the car, but it is really quick for a sedan.

Overall it's a great pack, well worth the asking price, some amazing, and some not so, cars!

plidex

The DLC should be up on the PSN NA store, but it isn't. Kunos said they are looking into it.

I think the Season Pass is not really a good deal, so I have to wait until the DLC is up to buy it.

I tested the Panamera Turbo and I enjoyed driving it on the Nordschleife, did a 7:40 on my first BTG lap so it's definitely a fast car.

thelastword

Banned
Seeing that this game is getting frequent and consistent updates, it's a bit strange that they have not done a Pro update...better textures, AF, AA..... would go a long way coupled with a 1800 or 2160p rez boost for pretty nice IQ. The framerate would also get a nice boost and maybe finally run at 60fps as they intended....

The PS4 version was patched to remove tearing and that patch was great, but the framerate never really got better. This game is still pretty much a 45-50fps racer, only tearfree..

danowat

Banned
Seeing that this game is getting frequent and consistent updates, it's a bit strange that they have not done a Pro update...better textures, AF, AA..... would go a long way coupled with a 1800 or 2160p rez boost for pretty nice IQ. The framerate would also get a nice boost and maybe finally run at 60fps as they intended....

The PS4 version was patched to remove tearing and that patch was great, but the framerate never really got better. This game is still pretty much a 45-50fps racer, only tearfree..

They are struggling to keep the vanilla console versions up to date with the lead PC version, not sure how they can chuck more resources at a pro version as well.

T_Exige

Was there any information how they got the Porsche licence?

Kinda interesting story, did they pay EA lot's of $'s? There were some rumors that the Porsche exclusivity deal with EA would come to an end somewhere in 2016... but rumors are rumors ofcourse.

I hope one day all of this is over and that most developers are free to work out a deal with Porsche.

danowat

Banned

Kinda interesting story, did they pay EA lot's of $'s? There were some rumors that the Porsche exclusivity deal with EA would come to an end somewhere in 2016... but rumors are rumors ofcourse.

I hope one day all of this is over and that most developers are free to work out a deal with Porsche.

Good question, they explicitly use the term "partnership" in the press releases, so I wonder if they are doing some kind of simulation software for them, and the cars came to AC as a result of that?

edit : did a bit more research, one of Kunos physics guys stated that the EA exclusivity deal still stands (for now), but they have a "special deal", so T10 must also have a "special deal" too.

Fox Mulder

I'm glad it's reportedly coming to an end with EA. These cars deserve much more than 5 cars in arcade NFS games, the forza 6 pack had over 20.

The 917/30 and the 935 have a spool instead of a limited slip differential. It's 100% lock 100% of the time. So the wide rear tires rotating at the same speed prevents you from turning in tight corners, meaning you either have to use an ultra-wide line or try to slightly overpower the tires. You have to drive those cars hard or they won't turn in.

I had the impression that the 911 Carrerra S was fun at first, then they patched the electronics of that car and now it has more understeer.

The 911 RSR 3.0 is nice for slides, but too much rear-out and you spin for REAL because of slicks + bad weight distribution with the rear engine in a no-frills race car.

Porsche 918 Spyder

Pure rocketship, wind down the MGU recovery a little bit to tame the rear end, and put the boost on hotlap mode and watch it go!.
Unfortunately you can't turn the traction control off, so that tempers the fun somewhat, but boy is it fast, I have yet to do any laptime comparisons with the P1 or LaFerrari, but I look forward to doing so!

Yeah, how does that work? Is the TC-button replaced with the MGU button? Pretty sure that on PC you can turn the traction control off. There are no buttons for TC, ABS, MGU, Turbo+, Turbo-, DRS, KERS .... that's way too many for a controller, so how does that work on console??

danowat

Banned
Yeah, how does that work? Is the TC-button replaced with the MGU button? Pretty sure that on PC you can turn the traction control off. There are no buttons for TC, ABS, MGU, Turbo+, Turbo-, DRS, KERS .... that's way too many for a controller, so how does that work on console??

They've double some of the functions up, so some of the buttons have multiple functions, MGU regen and TC are on the same button which causes an issue.

Quite why they didn't use long press / short press or a modifier button is a strange one.

plidex

Good question, they explicitly use the term "partnership" in the press releases, so I wonder if they are doing some kind of simulation software for them, and the cars came to AC as a result of that?

edit : did a bit more research, one of Kunos physics guys stated that the EA exclusivity deal still stands (for now), but they have a "special deal", so T10 must also have a "special deal" too.

T10 paid for the license to EA. Kunos made a deal with Porsche.

people complain because Assetto Corsa will release - for free, and even if you just own the game but you don't purchase any Porsche DLC - the new Panamera, Cayenne and Macan. (...) As part of our agreement with Porsche, the Brand asked us to reproduce, for THEIR simulators, ALSO the models included in their current production. For THEIR purposes. Once we worked for months to reproduce those models with the maximum accuracy for Porsche simulators, we believed it would have been a shame do not allow the AC community to enjoy those cars as well. Without charging them. And that's it. Also because we take in consideration that the AC community is so wide today that different people like different cars, something that some blind gamers still don't understand, or accept. On the other side, this kind of agreement allows us to reproduce and make available for Assetto Corsa cars like the one you see in the picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...4&set=a.1238838305045.34354.1651916137&type=3

Porsche will use Assetto Corsa (or Assetto Corsa Pro) in driver training for track-learning and in Porsche sport driving schools as well as their Porsche Experience centers, if I remember that right. I know Silverstone has a Porsche Experience Center so it makes sense that a classic Silverstone was released with the first Porsche pack.

Porsche is betting on eSports and virtual racing to take off in the near future and the partnership with Kunos is their first step. It sounded a bit like "we are working on a global (bigger) strategy and AC is our short term solution for now" in the interview with a guy from Porsche I saw a few days ago.

Edit:

Porsche Driving School courses you can book:
porschedrivingschoolrlq4s.png

That's pretty much the same cars that we get with the packs and shows that the "Porsche wanted the SUVs, that was not our idea!!" comment from Marco is true.

NHale

Considering this game is on sale on the US PSN Store. Is it worth it on PS4?

I have a wheel (T500) but I also enjoy to play with a controller once in a while. I'm more of a single player person but if the multiplayer is good and fair, I can be 100% multiplayer (like iRacing).?

I want to play it on a EU account, is there any issue with using the DLC while buying it from the US account? Season pass is enticing and discounted as well...

Top Bottom