• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

danowat

Banned
Considering this game is on sale on the US PSN Store. Is it worth it on PS4?

I have a wheel (T500) but I also enjoy to play with a controller once in a while. I'm more of a single player person but if the multiplayer is good and fair, I can be 100% multiplayer (like iRacing).?

I want to play it on a EU account, is there any issue with using the DLC while buying it from the US account? Season pass is enticing and discounted as well...

It's OK on PS4, some missing features over the PC version, but the steering wheel issues should now be fixed (1.10 came out this afternoon), it's fairly tough to play with a controller, especially as none of the buttons are customizable, but that issue also extends to wheels too.

Single player game is fairly thin, unless you really like hotlapping.

As for the DLC, I am not 100% sure, but I think, on PS4, it's region locked.

jaaz

Edit:

Porsche Driving School courses you can book:
porschedrivingschoolrlq4s.png

That's pretty much the same cars that we get with the packs and shows that the "Porsche wanted the SUVs, that was not our idea!!" comment from Marco is true.

The Macan GTS/Turbo is actually a very capable cross-over SUV, with 0-60 times of 4.2-4.4 seconds and handling that is not that far off from a 911.

The Macan GTS/Turbo is actually a very capable cross-over SUV, with 0-60 times of 4.2-4.4 seconds and handling that is not that far off from a 911.

I hope you are right, when they announced the free Porsches, I thought "thanks, cool, something to mix it up", but then I was a little disappointed with the boatishness of the Panamera and the (very)heaviness of the Cayenne. I did like the Levante SUV and now hope the Macan is something like the lighter/sportier version of that.

terrible

Banned
When are the private lobbies coming? The whole reason I bought this on console when I already had it on PC was so I could race with my friend. What a bust that has been so far lol.

danowat

Banned
When are the private lobbies coming? The whole reason I bought this on console when I already had it on PC was so I could race with my friend. What a bust that has been so far lol.

No one knows, soon hopefully, the current multiplayer is a mess.

YES, it is a fun car.

Excerpt from my Macan trackday: https://youtu.be/J6cLcP5zgKc
(Tip for awesome fun: Set the track surface to dusty and turn off traction control)

Btw, was it posted in here already, that Kunos threw in a Porsche Turbo S as substitute for the 911 RSR 2017 (which will come later but still as part of the third Porsche pack)?

And one last thing - Porsche made their own commercial for Assetto Corsa Porsche:
https://youtu.be/IgGCJTSKko8

don't think they'd do that for their cars in a game from EA, Turn 10 or Polyphony.

Momentary

Banned
Many companies have made whole concept cars for Gran Turismo. Even the best designer in F1 designed an F1 car for it. But yeah, pales into insignificance next to a commercial.

You act like they were posting that as if trying to one up other racers... I for one don't care about fake cars since there is no real data for crap like that. I care about that as much as I care about fake ass renders of cars on Car and Driver's website.

Anyway, before I came across this ignorant post, I was coming in here over from PC side since there is no OT for the game on PC. Is there any word on whether or not this game will receive the console UI treatment? I'm loving the game and I feel like the physics of the cars and the sound are just second to none in terms on mainstream sims. I just wish the front end would get a face lift.

Patrick S.

Banned
You act like they were posting that as if trying to one up other racers... I for one don't care about fake cars since there is no real data for crap like that. I care about that as much as I care about fake ass renders of cars on Car and Driver's website.

Anyway, before I came across this ignorant post, I was coming in here over from PC side since there is no OT for the game on PC. Is there any word on whether or not this game will receive the console UI treatment? I'm loving the game and I feel like the physics of the cars and the sound are just second to none in terms on mainstream sims. I just wish the front end would get a face lift.

There is a PC OT, but it's dead.

I bought this on PC. Ended up refunding it. Just had lots of weird problems that I didn't want to spend time figuring out.

I know that it is a super hardcore sim, but nothing I did stopped me from suffering from under steer. Every car, every turn I took that was over 30 MPH? Under steer.

That and immediately seeing prompts to buy DLC everywhere killed my boner for this game.

mcfizzle4

I'll be receiving this as a gift this weekend. Just saw the season pass is on sale so will probably pick that up as well.

Does the game feel good with a wheel or will I have to tinker with a ton of settings like Project Cars just to get it driveable?

danowat

Banned
Red Pack, Porsche pack 2 and title update has landed on consoles, however....

The title update does nothing apart from adding DLC support, so control functions of hybrid cars are still woefully limited and there is no custom button mapping still, no custom championships, like the PC version has, limited 2015 F1 setup options, and no special events for any of the new cars, despite the PC version having them.

Makikou

Red Pack, Porsche pack 2 and title update has landed on consoles, however....

The title update does nothing apart from adding DLC support, so control functions of hybrid cars are still woefully limited and there is no custom button mapping still, no custom championships, like the PC version has, limited 2015 F1 setup options, and no special events for any of the new cars, despite the PC version having them.

You also can't adjust stuff like the rear aero on F1 Ferrari's, drivetrain on the SF-15T which is just sad LUL

JustKunosThings (or 505 Games?)

NHale

Oh the sound of that cockpit sound of the 2015 LMP1 Porsche 919 Hybrid is pure heaven. It really sounds like the real thing inside the cockpit, that whistle under braking, the hybrid. Just a shame it's a DLC but it's so worthy it. The grip levels on that thing is hard to judge especially on harder compound tyres. I keep messing up some easy corners.

Now if only this game had LeMans and a decent online component ala iRacing that matched you against similar opposition. I keep entering online races and what ends up happening is that 3 guys are 2 second/lap faster than anyone else, then the rest quit the lobby before midrace and I end up all alone driving. No fun.

Seriously why hasn't anyone in the console space tried to emulate iRacing with IR and SR? It's there to be copied but nobody does. A simulator like this one would be the perfect spot to try. Want to drive a LMP1 online? Better have a A-class license and SR > X. Oh well...

Dobsie

Was going to pick this up as it was only £20 on the PS store the other day but then saw the amount of dlc and changed my mind. I know its the done thing nowadays but it seems like they're taking the piss with this game. I may still change my mind as I'm yearning for a good sim, but does anyone know if there is a game of the year edition in the pipeline with all dlc included?

Played some Gran Turismo 6 recently again and... I had seen that option before, but seeing it again now "MoTec telemetry data export" for GT6 replays, made me want to compare it AC's telemetry that can be exported in a MoTec compatible format with a an AC PC app that I have used before.

I chose the BMW M6(edit: M4, no idea how I messed that up), because it was added to GT6 after launch and should have the newest data and highest premium car model standards.

Did 10 laps at Brands Hatch in each game and was surprised by how much faster GT6 is than Assetto Corsa. 1:37.xx vs 1:43.xx ...just how much more insane are those tires in GT6??

Turns out, the secret is not in the tires, it's the rev limiter. In AC the rev limiter hits at ~7510rpm(can overshoot to 7524) and in GT6 it's exactly at 8000rpm. More power means I reach higher speeds on every straight in GT6.

AC values are in green.
motecdatagt6vsac2fwkcf.png

Now to the tires (assuming suspension, ride height and aero aren't too different between cars and games) - I left the GT6 at the "Sports Hard" compound which is the standard tire for production cars over $40,000. In AC I tried the "Street" compound first, but was 1:45 slow, so I put the "semi-slick" tire on which then led to my 1:43 later.
motecdatagt6vsac1u0bmz.png

Longitudinally, there isn't too much difference. GT6 brakes a little better 1.55g compared to AC's 1.43. A very quick peak (but no tire lock) in GT was 1.66, weirdly enough that was going into the Clark Curve (last corner) and not uphill into the Druid's Bend.
Anyway, having more power at higher RPMs meant that I was faster, but also had to brake earlier due to higher speed, because the longitudinal tire grip wasn't that different on average.

Here is a Histogram of Longitudinal Gs (GT6 in Orange, AC in blue):
longitudinalg-forcesg9tsr3.png

You can see, GT6 can take higher Gs under braking, but AC is more constant and can reach similar braking distances this way. On the left of the graph, it becomes clear, how much more acceleration the 8000rpm can pull versus the 7500 in AC.

Laterally the difference is pretty significant. Look at the Hawthorne Bend, which doesn't have any real height differences(marked on the track map):
AC can do 1.35g, GT6 pulls 1.47g. Here GT6 just takes more Gs:
lateralg-forcesgt6vs.v4sgr.png

I wonder, how much faster GT would still be if the rev limiter would hit at ~7500 too. Right now, I'm good though. More testing if GT Sport still supports telemetry export.
[something else really cool from GT6: It also exports fake GPS data with the telemetry that you can export from the MoTec app to Google Earth and then can see your driving line on a satelite foto and even animate a tour on that path]

amar212

Now to the tires (assuming suspension, ride height and aero aren't too different between cars and games) - I left the GT6 at the "Sports Hard" compound which is the standard tire for production cars over $40,000.

Annnd, there is the culprit IMO. You should go with Comfort Soft in GT. The Sports Hard compound would be estimate to almost a semi-street-slick which is not something that BMW uses on road models (some Japanese manufacturer would, but not European).

The compound philosophy in GT is not "linear" and does not rely on some mesaurable "curve". There is not much imput I can give you on this without spending hours in digging various threads over at GTPlanet, but the best basic guide I can present you is the guide that came only with GT5:prologue in 2009, which explains GT-philosophy in compounds for limited amount of models featured in GT5:p.

N is the Japanese mark for Comfort class, and by taking into account the proposed compound for AudiR8/F430/F599, you can see how N3 should be initial compound (Comfort Soft) for such cars - which performance and class is something I would loosely compare to M6.

Strictly IMO, in order to achieve the max simulation for M6, I would enforce N2 (Comfort Medium) myself for such testing, but than you would be forced to drive with tyre-wear enabled, no TCS, ABS on 0 and manually distributed brake bias (from my head, I would go with 65-35 with such FR car) and to measure only times while your tyres are consistent in the "green" area.

Annnd, there is the culprit IMO. You should go with Comfort Soft in GT. The Sports Hard compound would be estimate to almost a semi-street-slick which is not something that BMW uses on road models (some Japanese manufacturer would, but not European). Strictly my opinion.

Well, I used semi-slicks in AC, but you are right, would have been interesting to see GT6 "Comfort Soft" versus AC's "Street" tire. But that's really GT's fault for equipping cars with too good tires. You have to buy(!) worse tires to make the times more realistic.

Also... I think GT's friction circle is too much a circle, the lateral Gs on comfort soft would be more realistic, but longitudinally accelerating out of slow corners would be shit.

But if people are really interested, I'd be up for another car/track combination. Laguna Seca would be interesting when AC gets the laserscanned version soon. That is laserscanned in GT6 too, it was in the documentary with Kaz talking about the cracks in the tarmacs. Don't know which car would be good though.

Edit: Saw your explanation pic just now. Cool stuff. (still, the cars bought from the dealership should just come with the closest equivalent and not have you dig up tables)
Edit2: An BMW M3 E90 has N3-S1 tires, then my S1 on the M4 should be kinda right on the money, shouldn't it? At least not significantly better than semi-slicks in AC (to be fair, AC is usually slow compared to other sims)

amar212

Edit: Saw your explanation pic just now. Cool stuff. (still, the cars bought from the dealership should just come with the closest equivalent and not have you dig up tables)

Tires are the smaller problem. Enforced ABS and enforced 50:50 brake-bias ratio are the main obstacle to enjoy GT physics as it is. And I think 90% of criticsm comes for the fact how majoirty of serious players simply doesn't know they should play with those options.

So, tires are only 40% of "problem". Enforced ABS (should be dialed to 0 manually for every car once purchased/obtained) and ideal 50:50 brake-bias are larger 60% of proper physics experience.

Once you start understanding "logic" of tire-compounds and invest time in solving the ABS-BB setup for every car, the whole new world opens.

If you are interested in that, I spent some serious time in explaining both many years ago over at GTP. Here are the links for both if you have time and interest.

About tire compounds:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ch-or-rs-tyres-to-learn-grip-dynamics.259386/#post-7369190

About brake balance (long post incoming, but it is very complicated subject):
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/driving-without-abs-tips-advice.176393/page-2#post-6921935

If you are interested in that, I spent some serious time in explaining both many years ago over at GTP. Here are the links for both if you have time and interest.

About tire compounds:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ch-or-rs-tyres-to-learn-grip-dynamics.259386/#post-7369190

About brake balance (long post incoming, but it is very complicated subject):
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/driving-without-abs-tips-advice.176393/page-2#post-6921935

I read both to some degree and really liked what you said about choosing the right car without tuning against AI, that's how I like to do races in GT too.

But on other things like brake bias and ABS I don't think you see the full picture. 50:50 brake bias already takes into account the bigger front brake discs. Because - as you said correctly - the weight under braking shifts to the front, resulting in higher front tire load and more grip there, the front should be "braked harder", but only so much harder that they have an equal chance to lock-up as the lower load rear tires. Now to the point: The 50:50 refers to the pressure the pads are pushed onto the discs. You can have 50:50 and the front will be braked with much higher force than the rear. If you now put higher force to the front, your front tires will lock-up first, leading to understear at trail braking - more safe but this way you can't use the brakes to turn the car into the corner at entry.
Normally you are right and brake balance should look something like 67% front vs 33% rear, but that refers to forces and energy absorption, not pressure (this is what you find in AC and most other sims, GT and Forza use the pressure system).
Edit: Usually you have only one hydraulic system, so 50:50 pressure front and rear, the size and ratio of the discs should be according to manufacturer data in GT I hope. Edit2: Number of brake callipers can vary front to rear, but again, that is something PD should know about from the car data they acquire.

About ABS:
I agree that GT doesn't simulate ABS accurately and it doesn't pulse the brakes. The ABS (1/10) doesn't necessarily overshoot what modern ABS systems are capable of. Most modern ABS measure and pulse at very high frequencies and are even clever enough to balance the load laterally the car be steered under braking. Actually GT is at a disadvantage compared to high tech cars like the GT-R, that can automatically overbrake the inside wheel, to get a higher slip-angle and thus more grip, resulting at better cornering performance and turn-in. (and yes, I used ABS in Assetto Corsa for my test and 1/10 in GT6 , traction control was turned off in both games).

If you are really sure about the brake bias thing, I could do a test, export the data to the motec app and see at which setting which axle locks up first under braking, but generally speaking I can't be completely wrong because every car in GT has a 50/50 brake balance from the start and then 99% of cars would lock up the rear tires so much earlier, you would spin out extremely easy and never reach a good brake performance.

Mascot

I hear good things about AC on the PS Pro with the beta boost, so I just picked it up from GAME, who have it new for £20 delivered for the Prestige Edition (but 10% off with MVC10 code, making it £18).

Bonus cars:
Audi A1 S1
Audi R8 V10 Plus
BMW M4 Coupe
Corvette C7 Stingray
Ferrari 488 GTB
Ford Mustang 2015
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Nissan GT-R Nismo 2015
Toyota GT86

It better not be shit!

:p

Mascot

It's not.

I've had it on PC since early access (well, a creaky old laptop that does connect to my racing rig, but with PS2-level graphics if I want 60fps) so know what to expect. I didn't jump on PS4 because of the performance issues but the Pro beta boost seems to have helped a lot with that.

What DLC is worth getting?

I've had it on PC since early access (well, a creaky old laptop that does connect to my racing rig, but with PS2-level graphics if I want 60fps) so know what to expect. I didn't jump on PS4 because of the performance issues but the Pro beta boost seems to have helped a lot with that.

Since private lobbies are coming i'd say all :)

GHG

The Porsche stuff is really good if it's also available on consoles.

danowat

Banned

The Porsche stuff for sure, but all of it is pretty good, the Japanese pack in particular.

The mention of performance issues perplexes me, it's never been anything other than solid framerate wise for me, there was an issue with screen tearing, but that was patched very early on.

The game is very very barebones, but what is there is very good.

Mascot

There seems to be three Porsche packs..?

Man, DLC pricing annoys the shit out of me. The Japanese Pack and the first Porsche Pack will cost me more than 50% of what I paid for the entire game.

Does the DLC go on sale at all?

danowat

Banned

Man, DLC pricing annoys the shit out of me. The Japanese Pack and the first Porsche Pack will cost me more than 50% of what I paid for the entire game.

Season pass was on sale recently for £11, only 2 Porsche packs ATM, 3rd on the way some time, rumored next week.

Mascot

Season pass was on sale recently for £11, only 2 Porsche packs ATM, 3rd on the way some time, rumored next week.

Aha. thanks.

Is the Season Pass a catch-all, or is it one of those fragmented jobbies that excludes some packs for 'reasons'?

Sounds like waiting for the season pass sale again might be wise.

danowat

Banned
Aha. thanks.

Is the Season Pass a catch-all, or is it one of those fragmented jobbies that excludes some packs for 'reasons'?

Sounds like waiting for the season pass sale again might be wise.

Catch all (up to and including Porsche 3), but nothing else has been confirmed for post PP3

The DLC Season Pass gives you access to the following future downloadable content - the JAPANESE PACK DLC, RED PACK DLC, and the upcoming PORSCHE DLC packs. In total over 30 new cars, as well as the Red Bull track, and also includes an exclusive livery and theme.

First of all, for the level of detail that goes into the making of the DLC cars (only matched by iRacing and Automobilista, both of which have higher DLC prices) and the fact that every real life track is laserscanned, the DLC prices are a steal in my opinion.

Also, the free stuff you still get (for a game that was released 2 years ago on PC), is pretty fantastic. This month for example we'll get this track for free:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPl811jJrOY

I'll admit the Scottish track from pCARS looks cooler for my taste, but hey, AC's is free and still pretty nice.

Only shitty thing about Kunos' DLC was not including the Japanese and Red Pack in the console version. (and yeah, that the game is down to 25 bucks, but still hasn't cought up to the PC version).

____
One neat little story from the last week:

YouTuber EmptyBox made a comparison video between the 3 versions of the 911 GT3 Cup car from iRacing, Assetto Corsa and Automobilsta(unlicensed and inofficial with the wrong name in that game).
He found that all games showed the same behavior of the car in terms of over- and understeer. The AMS car handled curbs a bit harsher, the iRacing car seemed to have a better power delivery. But the biggest difference - and the reason why it was the slowest in his test laps - was the fuel consumption in Assetto Corsa, which was unbelievably low.
Aris, who makes the car physics for AC, went on Facebook, admitting that fuel consumption wasn't high on his priorities list (he had problems with the insane 5° of negative camber the real world car has), but now checked back with the telemetry they had and the real thing needs even LESS fuel than the AC version. Real life: 47-50l ; AC: 54l/100km ; iRacing: 84l/100km.

And no, I don't really care about fuel consumption, just wanted to share that story and also definitely not to shit on iRacing, I have nothing but the highest respect for the level of detail that goes into their car modeling.

Fugly game though..! :p

I always remember Project CARS as the best looking sim, then I see a gameplay comparison video from the cockpit and actually... Assetto Corsa looks better than Project CARS (happened to me 3x now). Throw in some sunset or night racing, then pCARS shines. In Replays pCARS also looks better, but on a lot of tracks the replays in pCARS stutter (no matter what graphics card or CPU, replay cameras are bugged somehow).

Solal

I always remember Project CARS as the best looking sim, then I see a gameplay comparison video from the cockpit and actually... Assetto Corsa looks better than Project CARS (happened to me 3x now). Throw in some sunset or night racing, then pCARS shines. In Replays pCARS also looks better, but on a lot of tracks the replays in pCARS stutter (no matter what graphics card or CPU, replay cameras are bugged somehow).

I was very vocal about technical shortcommings in AC when it realeased... the absolutely MASSIVE tearing (like...seriously...unbearable!) and catastrophic framerate made me kill the game: my first impressions were: "WTF is this shit?"

Then Kunos got rid of tearing and optimised the framerate to a point where, even if it was far from perfect, the game began to be enjoyable..and I could finally see it for what it is , graphically. To me the game is as beautiful, if not more, than PCars... Of course, Pcars does much much more with TOD and weather, but if we speak on a purely graphical point of vue, i gotta say AC might look better....

Mascot: now that the game is 100% 60fps, you definitely should try it. With a wheel, it's fucking awesome!

Mascot

I was very vocal about technical shortcommings in AC when it realeased... the absolutely MASSIVE tearing (like...seriously...unbearable!) and catastrophic framerate made me kill the game: my first impressions were: "WTF is this shit?"

Then Kunos got rid of tearing and optimised the framerate to a point where, even if it was far from perfect, the game began to be enjoyable..and I could finally see it for what it is , graphically. To me the game is as beautiful, if not more, than PCars... Of course, Pcars does much much more with TOD and weather, but if we speak on a purely graphical point of vue, i gotta say AC might look better....

Mascot: now that the game is 100% 60fps, you definitely should try it. With a wheel, it's fucking awesome!

I just bought it along with a CronusMax Plus so that I can play it with my Fanatec.
I do own it (and used to pay it a lot) on PC but with very low settings.
Looking forward to the Pro Boost!

I just bought it along with a CronusMax Plus so that I can play it with my Fanatec.
I do own it (and used to pay it a lot) on PC but with very low settings.
Looking forward to the Pro Boost!
Did you try Chronus with Fanatec, how does it feel!?

I did a another comparison like the one above between AC and GT6.

This time Assetto Corsa vs. Project CARS. Had to export the data for that, looks more like excel than a cool telemetry software, but should be decipherable...

Posted it on the Project CARS thread: Link to the post

Mascot

Yeah, I was referring to how they made it look in that performance video I linked to. In chase cam it kinda looked like the cars were floating. In cockpit view it does look glorious.

God's way of punishing chase-cammers?

Top Bottom