• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa -- New racing sim from the developer of netKar Pro

saladine1

As of last month, I've given up on playing any racing games in anticipation of what's coming.

Thank you rFactor, RBR and GTR, it has been a nice ride but it's time for something new..

TJP

Porsche = no hope (I would think). Ferrari almost definitely, given the F40's already in there.
I'm sure RUF would be more than happy to licence their cars to Kunos as they've done for SimBin, SMS etc. Modding teams will no doubt make whatever cars are missing too.

I admit, my experience trying controllers out with sims comes from rFactor and GTR2, both of which were unplayable. If these newer games have remedied that, then awesome.

That's definitely good for accessibility, but I still don't think realistic circuit racing is that appealing to most people.

I don't want to completely oversell it, your mileage will vary! AC's is quite good however. Good enough even in the tech demo to make a straight transition to consoles.

Most people, OK sure, but how about one out of every ten GT/FM players? That's a lot of people! Way more than they could ever hope to sell on PC, that's for sure.

TJP

Are RUF in GT3, though?
You're missing the point as does it really matter if it's a Porsche or RUF? Kunos could replicate a 911 GT3 R like SimBin has for RaceRoom RE and avoid potential licencing issues.

Edit: just read this on VirtualR

Jay Ekkel (from SimBin)

We used Balzan for feedback when we did the WTCC games, and he is a pretty skilled simracer. Back in the day at least he had a simulator at home and spend plenty of time in the (virtual) seat crafting his skill.

Shaneus

You're missing the point as does it really matter if it's a Porsche or RUF? Kunos could replicate a 911 GT3 R like SimBin has for RaceRoom RE and avoid potential licencing issues.

Edit: just read this on VirtualR

Jay Ekkel (from SimBin)

We used Balzan for feedback when we did the WTCC games, and he is a pretty skilled simracer. Back in the day at least he had a simulator at home and spend plenty of time in the (virtual) seat crafting his skill.
Oh, I was thinking in the context of having some kind of official GT3 thing in there. For modding purposes etc., obviously a RUF would be fine.

TJP

Oh, I was thinking in the context of having some kind of official GT3 thing in there. For modding purposes etc., obviously a RUF would be fine.
From what I've read elsewhere on the internet the promoter behind the FIA GT category, Stéphane Ratel (AKA SRO), requests a large licence fee to 'digitise' the series. This required EA's money to get both the GT1 and GT3 class cars, teams (and some tracks) licences into NFS: Unleashed. Once the series licence(s) are obtained, the developer/publisher has to buy seperate licences for the cars, the teams and the tracks. Whilst Kunos have been brilliant in obtaining the vehicle and track licences announced thus far, I'd suggest an official GT licence from the FIA/SRO would be financially unviable.

Buying licences for most of the cars raced in the GT series might be easier and let the modders make the series liveries and missing tracks.

Edit: whoever writes the 'biographies' for the cars on the FIA GT3 Europe website is having a laugh: http://gt3europe.com/cars.php?market=false&key=49 The Porsche 911 GT3 RS has a V6 boxer engine?!? Forget displacement on demand, Porsche have invented engine layout on demand! I hope Mazda can produce a V12 wankel sometime soon ;-)

TJP

Another screen from FB/BSimracing

9667197304_bf606c7b69_o.jpg

This may be the first time Kunos have people in the grandstands...

TJP

When is this game suppose to release? And how much?
Pre-order supposed to start in September, version 1.0 release date is unknown although I've read Q4 2013. Pre-order price is said to be around 40-45 Euro which equates to 33-37 GBP, 53-59 USD or 57-64 AUD (apologies if I missed your currency).

jimforspeed

Neo Member
I really expect this "game" to be huge. It will be the first expensive production of a really realistic sim (from the tech preview, well...it's the best physics since 2003's LFS and nKPro. And yes, I'm aware of the rest of the sims). Online leagues and quality (I hope) modding are going to propel this thing to the top.

Shaneus

I really expect this "game" to be huge. It will be the first expensive production of a really realistic sim (from the tech preview, well...it's the best physics since 2003's LFS and nKPro. And yes, I'm aware of the rest of the sims). Online leagues and quality (I hope) modding are going to propel this thing to the top.
I'm expecting it to be huge too. Not huge as in the production of it (although it probably will be) but in terms of it's uptake in the PC sim community.

I have a feeling that it'll be a unifying racing platform in it's completeness as a package out of the box, both looking great, having a good amount of content and wide-ranging appeal (at least, amongst sim racers). Nothing else can really claim that. GSC is close, but down on the looks (we know that doesn't matter to us, but does to others) and the series/car/track recognition. pCARS is still too much of an unknown (and doesn't appear to be as "simmy" as AC/GSC) and rF2 is still in beta limbo.

TJP

I'm expecting it to be huge too. Not huge as in the production of it (although it probably will be) but in terms of it's uptake in the PC sim community.
I expect an exodus from rFactor 2 to Assetto Corsa as the devs announced ages ago (beginning of the year) that AC is moddable and that help will be made available via Skype to the guys at Kunos. I wonder if the Power and Glory mod makes its way into Assetto Corsa at some point given the link (Aris the physics guru) between the two dev teams.

I have a feeling that it'll be a unifying racing platform in it's completeness as a package out of the box, both looking great, having a good amount of content and wide-ranging appeal (at least, amongst sim racers). Nothing else can really claim that. GSC is close, but down on the looks (we know that doesn't matter to us, but does to others) and the series/car/track recognition. pCARS is still too much of an unknown (and doesn't appear to be as "simmy" as AC/GSC) and rF2 is still in beta limbo.
All good points Shaneus. If ISI grant another dev team access to ISImotor2.5 then we could see a lot of good looking games with great physics, quality tyre modelling and interesting features such as the real time changing track conditions. The mod tracks by Feels3 shows what can be done in rf2 along with mods such as the T5 series by United Racing Design. The problem with rF2 is ISI are a tiny team who've over promised and under delivered to this point. pCARS should be great but it remains a 'wait and see' proposition. Ian Bell always talks big so I hope his team can make a truly brilliant sim.

Shaneus

Do you think Kunos would make their engine available to others like ISI have done with theirs? If there's one thing Kunos has done very right thus far, it's being incredibly good at communicating with their hardcore fans. That, and not trying to push things too much... they've released a single tech demo, announced things via screens and unofficial YT videos, but that's it.

I'm still really surprised rF2 hasn't made it past beta yet. Should've well and truly hit 1.0 by now IMO.

TJP

Do you think Kunos would make their engine available to others like ISI have done with theirs? If there's one thing Kunos has done very right thus far, it's being incredibly good at communicating with their hardcore fans. That, and not trying to push things too much... they've released a single tech demo, announced things via screens and unofficial YT videos, but that's it.
I don't really know to be honest; ISI had rFactor for the sim racing developers and rFactor Pro for F1 & NSACAR teams for their simulators which uses a different version of the ISIMotor (probably the basis for rF2). I think Kunos will most likely keep their software to themselves as they too have links with professional simulators.

I'm still really surprised rF2 hasn't made it past beta yet. Should've well and truly hit 1.0 by now IMO.
I'm not as it's a small dev team at ISI - I've read not much larger than Kunos - and thus development is slow. So many great sims to play now with more on the way, so I don't mind how long ISI take with rF2 as it'll live or die on the quality of the physics, FFB and ease of mod creation and not how long it takes to go from beta to gold. They do need to hurry up though as people will look elsewhere...

TJP

Does that mean preorders won't be available until then? Sounds like a hell of a delay.
I think we was taking the piss to be honest - reading his twitter feed it looks like fan pressure may be getting to him.

If I were Kunos I'd take pre-orders with the express instructions to buyers that the game will ship after September and likely towards Dec '13 - Jan '14 (or whatever date they know is most likely). Those of us who are Kunos fans will happily pre-order and those who don't want to can wait; better for Kunos to have a cash injection now.

I also read that Marco from Kunos was attending the Frankfurt motorshow with the intention to obtain more vehicle licences so this may be a part of the hold up.

paskowitz

I do not understand why they do not just open up pre-orders? You can pre-order most console games many months in advance. As long as the game is announced, Gamestop will gladly take your money.

Shaneus

I also read that Marco from Kunos was attending the Frankfurt motorshow with the intention to obtain more vehicle licences so this may be a part of the hold up.
Oh god, I hope so. You'd think he could drop a hint or two but if that's the case... oh man, that would be glorious.

Did we have a list of cars and tracks somewhere? I recall something being posted, but it might've been another thread.

TJP

Oh god, I hope so. You'd think he could drop a hint or two but if that's the case... oh man, that would be glorious.
Either Stefano or Aris mentioned Marco (their licencing guy) was at Frankfurt chasing manufacturer licences in one of their twitter feeds.

Addnan

Time to make some clarification about the rumours related to pre-orders.

We confirm we worked on this matter in the last two months. When the entire process was almost ready to be started, our lead programmer unofficially confirmed on his personal twitter account that pre-orders would start very soon. This was supposed to be true. Sadly, in our Country (Italy) the laws related to e-commerce are very complicated and inadequate for the digital distribution. At the last minute, just a couple of days before to launch the pre-order, we have been informed about some additional documentation and rules that don’t allow us to start the pre-order phase already set. This has nothing to do with Steam nor with the development of the game, it’s just burocracy. We understand you can be disappointed about it, but well, you can figure how much we are too.
Anyway, if we made any mistake or lack in communication, we apologise for it. Everyone can make mistakes, we are not better than any other.

Now we are working on a different strategy, with the aim to meet -as soon as possible – your wishes and our needs. As soon as we are able to give you more information, we’ll update you with more details, through our official channels. Meanwhile, thank you for your kind patience and support.

Some official word. http://www.assettocorsa.net/update-on-delayed-pre-order/

TJP

Even more about the Situation from Aris on Facebook:

Particularly unhappy with it, as I had pre-order website, e-commerce pages and everything else ready to go, just to find out at 1 o'clock in the night about that little "font 6px" things that would have severely hurt our business and the AC project.

Back to the drawing board and I guess we need to do something special for all you people patiently waiting.

No wonder Stefano tweeted he wants to leave Italy forever 8(

Shaneus

HDR/post-processing is a *little* too overdone, but Oh My God does that look pretty. Looks a lot less "clinical"(?) than pCARS as well, I think.

Top Bottom