• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa -- New racing sim from the developer of netKar Pro

Used DFGT (£40 Ebay), used G25 pedals (£20 Ebay), Bodnar cable (£20)? An 80 pound setup that won't leave you wanting more. Just an idea.

TJP

Cars included in the "beta" >
Thanks for posting this; there is more than enought to keep me occupied for ages.

Edit: as a happy G27 owner, the choice of a Logitech wheel is fine but if I was to buy again, I'd seriously consider spending a little more (or a lot depending where you are located in the world) and buy the T500 as the smoothness of the T500 and its FFB compared to the G27 means the extra cost is more than justified. I'd also buy a Wheel Stand Pro and life will be sweet.

Shaneus

Used DFGT (£40 Ebay), used G25 pedals (£20 Ebay), Bodnar cable (£20)? An 80 pound setup that won't leave you wanting more. Just an idea.
The Bodnar cable is just a thing to hook the G25/G27/DFGT pedals directly to the PC via USB, yes? Won't work with PS3?

Polyphony

Another happy G27 owner here for anything PC.

However, the status-quo (or lack of) regarding wheel compatibility on next-gen consoles is certainly worrying. If I were to buy a new wheel now, I would be concerned if it wasn't supported on the PS4 or Xbox One. If console compatibility is an issue, I would wait a bit before splurging on a brand new peripheral.

Xanadu

Banned
Another happy G27 owner here for anything PC.

However, the status-quo (or lack of) regarding wheel compatibility on next-gen consoles is certainly worrying. If I were to buy a new wheel now, I would be concerned if it wasn't supported on the PS4 or Xbox One. If console compatibility is an issue, I would wait a bit before splurging on a brand new peripheral.

or wait for g29 ;)

Zeth

Think it's worth a purchase if I won't have a wheel setup for a couple of months? I quite enjoy the F1 games on controller.

edit: downloading

Addnan

The wait is killing me. At least when I stick it on download it will be done quickly.

They are saying if you have the tech preview installed it could run into some issues, so uninstall it and delete the Assetto Corsa folder inside documents.

Addnan

Oddly, this game is making my GPU run a little warmer than it usually does. Hitting 80C when runs of benchmarking tools like Valley only get it to 60, 70 at most.

bee

omg no, it hangs for me :( may try reinstall, steam had some weird issue 'checking for licenses' and would only let me install after i restarted it, i had uninstalled the tech preview through control panel and deleted the folder in my documents, tried turning afterburner off, it just loads up i get the splashscreen it shows its loading at the bottom then nothing

hmmm weird steam overlay issue? press shift+tab and the menus shows on screen after the screen very slowly refreshes, clicking them does nothing though, disabling steam overlay also does nothing, will reinstall (please work)

Polyphony

Oddly, this game is making my GPU run a little warmer than it usually does. Hitting 80C when runs of benchmarking tools like Valley only get it to 60, 70 at most.

Are you getting extremely high frame rates? I remember having overheating issues on older games like rfactor since the fps wasn't capped but I presume this shouldn't be a problem with newer and more demanding games.

bee

well a reinstall didn't work so i spammed the keyboard, if anyone else has a similar problem, F11 is your friend, now working :)

oh, spoke too soon, all menus and options now work i go to click start and it hangs on a black screen, this could of gone better :/

last edit:woohoo, ok f11 for windowed mode, quit game, restart in windowed mode and finally launches :))

So is it really out? wow, what a surprise. Can´t get the steam link at work, and will have to install that at home, but is it the full game with online races and stuff or just a public beta?

Addnan

So is it really out? wow, what a surprise. Can´t get the steam link at work, and will have to install that at home, but is it the full game with online races and stuff or just a public beta?

It's early access, 22% cheaper than final release. It doesn't have much. 11 cars, 5 tracks. Just hot laps for now by the looks of it.

_machine

Downloading now, the wait is excruating :D

Will share my impressions soon, but I'll be stuck with a pad until next weekend :/

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
At last! I've been waiting a long time for this game. Here I leave you three gameplays:

Assetto Corsa Gameplay - KTM X-Bow R @ Silverstone International

Assetto Corsa Gameplay - Ferrari 458 Italia @ Imola

Assetto Corsa Gameplay - Formula Abarth @ Vallelunga

p3tran

Banned
This is the most fantastic news that could drop right now.. its friday night here, i guess about the same at most parts of the world +/- 12, so everybody will have a great weekend! :)

I'll grab some gif's from Adrian's videos for the op if you want

bee

my impressions are just pretty much, the game is awesome

the launcher had some issues for me but once i got it going it's a really nice interface to launch the game with

the game is jaggy city unless you run with a fair amount of aa, still looks great though, imo in motion it looks better than pcars

physics, weight transfer both seem fantastic, was playing the M3 at imola and ferrari 458 at silverstone, too early to tell if its the new physics champion but it wouldn't surprise me if it is

the game has excellent sli scaling, both cards at 99% for the whole duration of the game but it heats your card(s) up more than probably any other game

performance, well this will have no meaning to practically anyone else but i'm running 3D surround the game is 3D vision ready and has perfect 3D, (5760x1080 3D) 2xaa, 16xaf, medium shadow, low for cube maps and averaging just under 60fps although that's just single car hotlapping so far, that's on 780 sli

using a t500 wheelm the force feedback feels the same as the tech preview i.e excellent

back to the game! :)

paskowitz

Physics wise I love every car except the BMWs. The KTM is by faaaaaaaaar the best. It is absolutely sublime to drive. The E92 M3 is a bit too twitchy. I have driven the real thing and it is an easy car to drive on the limit. E30 M3 seems to be too grippy and Z4 just understeers. The 458 is amazing.

My CSW FFB motors decided to give out yesterday so I am not testing under optimal conditions, but I would say A/C is likely to become the new physics champ. Like other have said, weight transfer is probably better here than in any other game.

markao

Struggled a little with setting my wheel/pedals, used the "inverse setting" behind the wheel and did not noticed I needed the ones behind each pedal axis (logitech G25) and therefore my axis were reversed :oops:

Overall feeling so far hard to tell, maybe my hype was a little to much and I expected to be blown away and that did not happen. Car physics feel very good just not groundbrakingly better than others and FFB is mixed bag.

I tried the Lotus 49 and the BMW GT and struggled with the FFB, did not really tell me what was happening, few laps in 458 and that was a lot better. The Lotus 49, feels great at low speed, planted, but I miss the power from the 400Hp engine, little to tame. The BMW M3 GT was very twitchy/direct ion its steering and only the only thing I really felt on my wheel, was under heavy braking. F 458 was very very nice, little more suspension movement, weight shift and that felt great on my steeringwheel.

Will have to try some more street cars, because most people I spook sad that those are very nice to drive and the feel is better (weight), so report later.

Sound is not that bad, improvement over Gamescom last year, but not best in class. Visually it's ok, Lotus cockpit (& exposure) great, M3 looked little worse (+ blown out tarmac(exposure)), it is not on a pCARS level, but for me (sim wise ) good enough.

Even though I have to get used to all the menu's/widgets, so far really loving the adjust ability, only mouse on screen and bar on the right opening up a little to often is downside.

One question, anyone able to save replays, I clicked on save (while watching) and after the race/session (timing screen), but nothing showed up my replay section (menu)???

See you guys later, back to try out few roadcars

The best thing about this is the similarities of the Lotus 49 on AC and iRacing. AC's is easier to drive, but the feeling of weight transfer and overall balance is very similar, which fills me with confidence about the accuracy of sims these days.

I had a quick drive of the M3 at Silverstone with a low sun, and it immediately reminded me of the GT6 demo. It's the closest thing to Gran Turismo on PC I think we've ever had. And it feels miles better! The material shader quality isn't quite at Polyphony's level, but the performance and IQ is so much higher than what the PS3 can achieve. It's like playing GT6... without the input lag, without Vaseline in your eyes, with a PS4 running in parallel dedicated to the physics!

markao

Physics wise I love every car except the BMWs. The KTM is by faaaaaaaaar the best. It is absolutely sublime to drive. The E92 M3 is a bit too twitchy. I have driven the real thing and it is an easy car to drive on the limit. E30 M3 seems to be too grippy and Z4 just understeers. The 458 is amazing.
Thanks for the tip, the KTM at Silverstone, was so much better than the Lotus/BMW at Imola. Feel the car so much better, allows you to push to the limit (you feel in control), my favourite so far.

Now back to the game ;)

p3tran

Banned
nice description pazuzu. did you try the xbow? thats my favorite right now 8)

so, this has any way to have leaderboards with laps comparable between us? or not yet?

I've had a quick blast, it's great! But my favourite is the M3 at the moment.

Are you getting extremely high frame rates? I remember having overheating issues on older games like rfactor since the fps wasn't capped but I presume this shouldn't be a problem with newer and more demanding games.
I was gonna ask that too - I have to cap AC to 60fps in Nvidia Inspector otherwise my GPU fan goes nuts. Without v-sync and no cap AC runs anywhere between 70 and 100fps... annoying that they still haven't put an FPS limiter in the options like iRacing does.

Interestingly I cap iRacing to 120fps and the fan barely spins up - probably because the game has hardly any modern graphical features.

Seanspeed

Banned
That sounds pretty reasonable, actually.

Setup-wise, the wheel is probably not too big a problem. My desk is a bit high, but I can sit up nice and straight and be ok. Its the pedals. I can back them against a wall, but I'm not sure what I'd do to keep it in place otherwise. With previous pedals that had little resistance, it wasn't a problem, but I know that ones that I need to really apply some pressure to will be prone to moving. Anybody else in a similar situation that has a solution?

Oh shiiit.

If you have a carpeted floor get some adhesive Velcro, just can just buy the hooks, stick it to the bottom to keep them in place.

For hardwood or vinyl floors get a rubber mat or some of those strips that stop rugs sliding around.

Better pedals often come with an anti-slip solution but they aren't always enough.

TJP

I was gonna ask that too - I have to cap AC to 60fps in Nvidia Inspector otherwise my GPU fan goes nuts. Without v-sync and no cap AC runs anywhere between 70 and 100fps... annoying that they still haven't put an FPS limiter in the options like iRacing does.
Re-check the settings in-game as v-sync is available and has been since the TP...

L5zDlTB.png

TJP

Oh indeed, but... I don't want v-sync. Way too much lag. There needs to be a framerate limiter.
You may need to ask for in the Steam, Assetto Corsa official forum or Race Department beta feedback forum (which Kunos are posting in).

Top Bottom