• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astronomers to peer into a black hole for first time (not xrays) in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Banned
Title would seem to imply a naked black hole.
(Of course, a naked black hole would destroy all sorts of other implications).

"Just" viewing the event horizon isn't nearly so attention-grabbing.
Also not necessarily all that interesting (imo).

Exactly.
I dunno seeing the event horizon I think can be pretty cool.

The image on the right is what can be expected to be seen this year or next which is pretty cool considering the distances and scales this is taking place on.

Though I find Sag A* (and all black holes, really) endlessly fascinating. They just get more interesting the more you know about them.

Kimawolf

Whatever you atheist bastards do, don't ask "What does God need with a starship?" I'm not getting zapped for your asses!

I dunno seeing the exert horizon I think can be pretty cool.

The image on the right is what can be expected to be seen this year or next which is pretty cool considering the distances and svales this is taking place on.

Though I find Sag A* (and all black holes, really) endlessly fascinating. They just get more interesting the more you know about them.

Oh, I find black holes fascinating too.
And certainly this will produce useful information.

I guess it's just that, after having personally spent 20+ years reading about and studying them, that to see a headline like "look inside a black hole" tossed around - considering the implications that would come with an actual naked black hole - and over-reactions to what won't be nearly the results most people are expecting, it's disappointing that such terms are used like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom