• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a "dark impactor" blasting holes in our galaxy.

CyberPanda

Banned
There's a "dark impactor" blasting holes in our galaxy. We can't see it. It might not be made of normal matter. Our telescopes haven't directly detected it. But it sure seems like it's out there.

"It's a dense bullet of something," said Ana Bonaca, a researcher at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who discovered evidence for the impactor.

Bonaca's evidence for the dark impactor, which she presented April 15 at the conference of the American Physical Society in Denver, is a series of holes in our galaxy's longest stellar stream, GD-1. Stellar streams are lines of stars moving together across galaxies, often originating in smaller blobs of stars that collided with the galaxy in question. The stars in GD-1, remnants of a "globular cluster" that plunged into the Milky Way a long time ago, are stretched out in a long line across our sky.

"We can't map [the impactor] to any luminous object that we have observed," Bonaca told Live Science. "It's much more massive than a star… Something like a million times the mass of the sun. So there are just no stars of that mass. We can rule that out. And if it were a black hole, it would be a supermassive black hole of the kind we find at the center of our own galaxy."

Tesseract

Banned
It kinda is, the sheer mind boggling vastness is creepy.

Whenever life seems mundane just remember that we are floating in a giant, mysterious void that could contain anything.

in fact it might well contain everything, a version of this conversation is going whereby you are me and i am you, only you are john lee picard and i am taseruct, and on and on forever and ever all things a million times infinity times the size of everything times all events forever neogaf, events forever where cunth is still a cunth and rentahamster is a rentawolverine, where gold members get to ban 5 people a month and unlimited things, all things in the dimensional void-verse, absolute spatial nightmare clown existence forever

everything on this board forever all things, a solipsistic verse that makes nietzsche cry like a little cosmic bitch

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
SNL-504143.jpg
Maybe it’s Leslie.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Worth pointing out that GD1 is about 26,000 light-years away from Earth. Which means any observations we're making from there happened over 26,000 years ago. I think a lot of people don't really take into consideration the fact that looking into the sky is like using a time machine.

The end is near. Pack it up, folks. No need to be alarmed, we are all going to die soon so lets make the best of our remaining days. Kojima, I love you.

Worth pointing out that GD1 is about 26,000 light-years away from Earth. Which means any observations we're making from there happened over 26,000 years ago. I think a lot of people don't really take into consideration the fact that looking into the sky is like using a time machine.

Good, so it could actually be way closer to us than we could tell.

I’ll sleep easy knowing that.

MetalAlien

Banned
A few years from now after the James Webb telescope goes up or something and they'll say it's an anomoly in the data and nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom