• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever black hole image revealed

llien

Your assessment that it's unfair is contradicted by the statement of the very same dude who "wrote 850,000 lines of code".
Which dude wrote 850'000 lines of code???
Both the dude and the girl seem to be doing routine work, offloaded to youngsters.

And you know this because?
Are you really challenging "you don't pass over the most complex task to juniors"?
The linked article mentions at least 4 independent teams producing BH images independently of each other.

That doesn't answer my question. Do you agree or disagree with my point?
It depends on what you meant, and that's why I said what my POV is, namely that while nobody formally claimed "she did it all", it mislead many to believe she made a major contribution to the project.
Heck, I even read tweets suggesting her contribution is Nobel worthy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Which dude wrote 850'000 lines of code???
Both the dude and the girl seem to be doing routine work, offloaded to youngsters.
Andrew, who the guy in the video is trying to give most of the credit to based on his ignorant understanding of how coding and team development work. It's all laid out in my previous post.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/first-ever-black-hole-image-revealed.1475978/post-253995416

Are you really challenging "you don't pass over the most complex task to juniors"?
The linked article mentions at least 4 independent teams producing BH images independently of each other.
I'm challenging that you are so well versed in this project that you know it was a " minor, straightforward task ". So minor that they entrusted a published, PhD holder who is now an assistant professor at CalTech to lead that imaging team. I'm not an expert either, which is why I'm relying on the words and statements of the people who are in the project, who actually did say that it was hard.

It depends on what you meant, and that's why I said what my POV is, namely that while nobody formally claimed "she did it all", it mislead many to believe she made a major contribution to the project.
Depends on what I meant? I thought my words seemed pretty clear to me.

Then you should consider the possibility that you're in an information bubble since there aren't any articles that proclaim that she "did it all". In fact, there are plenty of articles that quote and reference many team members.

namely that while nobody formally claimed "she did it all", it mislead many to believe she made a major contribution to the project.
Misled? She did make a major contribution to the project, along with everyone else. Her own team member says so too. Maybe she and the rest of the team deserve a Nobel prize. That's for people smarter than us to decide. Who cares if people speculate on Twitter? Are you going to pick and choose single random tweets to represent the entire situation? That wouldn't be accurate.

At the end of the day, your disproportional concern over this issue is turning a rather benign matter into an identity politics-fueled culture war argument when it doesn't need to be.

llien

Andrew, who the guy in the video is trying to give most of the credit to based on his ignorant understanding of how coding and team development work. It's all laid out in my previous post.
Look, 200 humans worked on the project.
Had all made an equal contribution, her part would be 0.5%.

Why should anyone even bother diving into "lines of code" argument? (I didn't watch random dudes vids, I confess, actual news / links to article were available and I've followed them)

So minor that they entrusted a published, PhD holder who is now an assistant professor at CalTech to lead that imaging team.
Out of 200, how many involved didn't have Ph.D. tile?
That's how projects like that work, Ph.D. Title impresses no one.

I'm challenging that you are so well versed in this project...
It is common sense.
I actually have worked on scientific projects, but you don't need to be a shoe maker to see that shoes do not fit.
You do not let youngsters do the hardest part of the project, isn't it obvious?

She did make a major contribution to the project
No, she did the routine, along with that twitter dude (who actually led the effort).

Her own team member says so too.
Male human feels he needs to protect female human. I was told it is called benevolent sexism.
Gender aside, colleagues tend to say nice things about other colleagues and many wrongly perceive this as an attack on the girl.

She did nothing wrong. Those who decided to PR her into Nobel worthy scientist who is responsible for the major breakthrough did.

Maybe she and the rest of the team deserve a Nobel prize.
All 200 of them, chuckle. (when Einstein, who's theory predicted existence of the mentioned phenomena didn't get N. for either SR or GR theories)

There have been under 1000 Nobels given out so far, in all areas combined.
Giving out 200 for this pic, would be quite a feat.

Anyhow, the problem is, people looked at hat pic and concluded that she alone deserves Nobel.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Look, 200 humans worked on the project.
Had all made an equal contribution, her part would be 0.5%.

Why should anyone even bother diving into "lines of code" argument? (I didn't watch random dudes vids, I confess, actual news / links to article were available and I've followed them)
You responded to my response about the video. Naturally, I assumed you were following the full conversation. Of course the lines of code argument is stupid. That's part of my point. Other people who don't understand the situation are using that argument.

Out of 200, how many involved didn't have Ph.D. tile?
That's how projects like that work, Ph.D. Title impresses no one.
It is common sense.
I actually have worked on scientific projects, but you don't need to be a shoe maker to see that shoes do not fit.
You do not let youngsters do the hardest part of the project, isn't it obvious?
No, she did the routine, along with that twitter dude (who actually led the effort).
You're getting lost in the weeds here. These are your own subjective judgements. And your statement about the twitter dude being the one who led the effort is factually wrong.

Male human feels he needs to protect female human. I was told it is called benevolent sexism.
Gender aside, colleagues tend to say nice things about other colleagues and many wrongly perceive this as an attack on the girl.
And now you're doing mind reading on the guy to fit his actions to your preferred narrative based on zero evidence. This is another identity politics move by judging his actions based on your preconceived notions of his group rather than, you know, what he actually does as an individual. Thus, you can see why I initially remarked why the critics seemed to be obsessed with identity politics.

She did nothing wrong. Those who decided to PR her into Nobel worthy scientist who is responsible for the major breakthrough did.
And again I point out how you're cherry picking stuff that you have seen and using it to represent the entire situation. For someone versed in science, you should see the flaw of relying so deeply on anecdotal evidence to make your point.

All 200 of them, chuckle. (when Einstein, who's theory predicted existence of the mentioned phenomena didn't get N. for either SR or GR theories)

There have been under 1000 Nobels given out so far, in all areas combined.
Giving out 200 for this pic, would be quite a feat.

Anyhow, the problem is, people looked at hat pic and concluded that she alone deserves Nobel.
You're missing my point again about giving internet chatter more weight than it deserves. You're basing all of your indignation on the fact that some people you saw on Twitter and Reddit think she should be considered for the Nobel Prize. So. What.

To repeat myself: At the end of the day, your disproportional concern over this issue is turning a rather benign matter into an identity politics-fueled culture war argument when it doesn't need to be.

McCheese

I'm fine with this, it's lame how the media is focusing purely on her because it plays into their narrative, but she didn't ask for it, and the other team members are smart enough not to give a shit about it. If seeing that picture gets more girls into STEM then some good has come out of it, so meh!

The other 199 still have something pretty amazing to put on their CVs for life.

I used to be big into astronomy when I was a kid but nowadays I just think.... everything is so big, so far away... so out of reach, so inaccessible. It makes me feel like I'm smaller than a microbe. Not a good feeling. I don't care anymore.
5/5 comment. The gods of the warp approve. Would grim dark again.

Top Bottom