• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive black hole discovered near heart of the Milky Way (NOT Sagitarius A*)

PS_GUY

Space and astronomy seem really interesting to me until I find out that everything is so f@$king far away that I think "what's the point?"

Black holes are awesome. I wish I could turn on "god mode" and go through one.. is it just blackness? A portal or wormhole to another part of the universe or even a whole other universe entirely?
For spinning black holes, you could in principle go through the inner horizon inside it and come out in another universe. Most likely this is not possible however because this doesn't take into account that an enormous amount of energy gets accumulated in the inner horizon and prevents anything from crossing.

What happens to the shit that gets trapped, is it destroyed or transferred out somewhere? How can stuff just cease to exist in there.

duuuuuude

You know, this is a very important problem. In physics information cannot be destroyed, but it appears that if something falls into a black hole, its identity is completely erased. This is called the information paradox.

Since Hawking predicted that black holes slowly evaporate by emitting a faint radiation, it is conjectured that the information of what fell in is stored in the particles that come out and so is preserved overall. In some idealised cases, where people can do the calculation, it seems to be true, but it remains an open problem in general.

Sure. But you're not being stretched into a noodle as you wrote that reply so you know what I mean.

It's my hole, it was made for me.

Anyway, we'd need to be near enough to it such that its effects were stronger on us than our acceleration away from it due to other forces (gravity of other objects, etc.)

You know, this is a very important problem. In physics information cannot be destroyed, but it appears that if something falls into a black hole, its identity is completely erased. This is called the information paradox.

Since Hawking predicted that black holes slowly evaporate by emitting a faint radiation, it is conjectured that the information of what fell in is stored in the particles that come out and so is preserved overall. In some idealised cases, where people can do the calculation, it seems to be true, but it remains an open problem in general.

Hawking did concede defeat on his wager, though.

🤔 always wanted to know what truly happens when something gets eaten by black holes. Wouldn't mind risking my life for science and curiosity tbh.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
🤔 always wanted to know what truly happens when something gets eaten by black holes. Wouldn't mind risking my life for science and curiosity tbh.

You won't know because you'll either die instantly or experience a boring moment infinitely.

BizzyBum

You won't know because you'll either die instantly or experience a boring moment infinitely.

That's what's crazy, because to him he would die instantly, but to the outside observer, wouldn't he be appearing to be suspended on the horizon indefinitely due to time dilation?

Hawking did concede defeat on his wager, though.
This is state of the art research. The question is not yet settled. It is true, however, that most people today believe the information must be preserved in the end.
That's what's crazy, because to him he would die instantly, but to the outside observer, wouldn't he be appearing to be suspended on the horizon indefinitely due to time dilation?
You are right. From the perspective of the infalling observer, it takes only a finite amount of time to reach the singularity. His time is only dilated with respect to a stationary observer outside.

TheContact

Isn't it generally accepted that there is likely a super black hole in the center of every Galaxy? I would have to think the reasoning for such a thing couldn't be just coincidence and that black holes have some vital purpose.

Pretty cool stuff regardless

Yea and we don't know what came first--the chicken or the egg so to speak

Iceman

This is state of the art research. The question is not yet settled. It is true, however, that most people today believe the information must be preserved in the end.

He conceded in 2005, though, tipping his hat to AdS/CFT (anti-deSitter space and conformal field theory, a hybrid of special relativity + quantum), which is the most successful (and most heavily cited) version of holography. This solution has satisfied most* theoretical physicists.

*my friend is working on a new, fundamental theory of physics that will challenge everyone's understanding of the universe, including our understanding of black hole behavior. So, yes, it's still a hotly researched topic.

MogCakes

Try to imagine for a moment the size of this gas cloud, many many many many many many many many times the size of our sun.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Isn't it generally accepted that there is likely a super black hole in the center of every Galaxy? I would have to think the reasoning for such a thing couldn't be just coincidence and that black holes have some vital purpose.

Pretty cool stuff regardless

The principle is gravity.
Much like every solar system has a star : )

dabig2

1.4 trillion miles? In place of the sun in our solar system, that would almost reach Saturn.

My first thought. I want to visit!

1.4 trillion km I believe (so around 870 billion miles or freedom units as noted above) if that estimate is correct. But most importantly, 870 billion freedoms is way bigger than sun to Saturn. The distance from the sun to the farthest planet Neptune is 'only' 2.9 billion freedoms. Hell, the diameter of the solar system, including the massive Oort cloud is less than 6 billion freedoms.

This black hole would be 145x the entire size of the solar system and 310x the size of the solar system if we're just talking sun to the farthest planet! Defies comprehension, particularly because Sagitarius A* is estimated to fit in between the sun and Mercury from last I remembered (<46 million freedoms).

So something doesn't add up here.

1.4 trillion km I believe (so around 870 billion miles or freedom units as noted above) if that estimate is correct. But most importantly, 870 billion freedoms is way bigger than sun to Saturn. The distance from the sun to the farthest planet Neptune is 'only' 2.9 billion freedoms. Hell, the diameter of the solar system, including the massive Oort cloud is less than 6 billion freedoms.

This black hole would be 145x the entire size of the solar system and 310x the size of the solar system if we're just talking sun to the farthest planet! Defies comprehension, particularly because Sagitarius A* is estimated to fit in between the sun and Mercury from last I remembered (<46 million freedoms).

Black holes are they way they are because of the amount of mass in a small space. Mass and size are different things

DeathyBoy

Banned
Milky Bar kid is strong and tough
But is a black hole big enough
To trap him in, to kill him dead.
That good taste that is...
Milky bar.

He conceded in 2005, though, tipping his hat to AdS/CFT (anti-deSitter space and conformal field theory, a hybrid of special relativity + quantum), which is the most successful (and most heavily cited) version of holography. This solution has satisfied most* theoretical physicists.

*my friend is working on a new, fundamental theory of physics that will challenge everyone's understanding of the universe, including our understanding of black hole behavior. So, yes, it's still a hotly researched topic.
I'm well aware. You can include me in the satisfied camp.

Btw, love your short film. Keep up the good work!

kyser73

It's amazing how life on earth could end without warning and without us knowing because something millions of miles away like a black hole.

Nah, that'd be a supernova. Get hit by a big blast of gamma rays, sterilise the planet and we'd never know it happened unless a telescope was pointing in the right direction when the star went bang.

You have to get preeeetyyyy damn close to a black hole (astronomically speaking) to fall into the gravity well, and even then only about 2% of the material will pass the event horizon, the rest either being trapped in orbit or ejected at >.7c.

Something like a neutron star being sucked into a singularity, or two neutron stars colliding...yeah, actually scarier than a black hole in terms of the energy released...

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
If you haven't already, please pick up 'The Science of Interstellar' by Kip Thorne.

It not only gives you insight into how the movie came to be, but it delves into the intricacies of black holes, warm holes and other phenomena. I'm almost done with it. I can never get enough of books on astronomy, specifically black holes. I've read maybe 10 books on the topic. It's all so fascinating.

dabig2

Black holes are they way they are because of the amount of mass in a small space. Mass and size are different things

Indeed, so that's why a 1.4 trillion km 'across' black hole sounds like someone messed up their units and a couple powers of 10. A black hole that fits in your pocket would have many several times more mass than the earth (and consequently gravity). One with the mass of our sun would only be a couple miles. So a black hole that has a diameter that is about 1/7th of a light year inside our own galaxy sounds impossible. I don't even think our galaxy (or Andromeda and any neighboring satellite galaxies) would exist with such a monster.

Black holes are awesome. I wish I could turn on "god mode" and go through one.. is it just blackness? A portal or wormhole to another part of the universe or even a whole other universe entirely? What happens to the shit that gets trapped, is it destroyed or transferred out somewhere? How can stuff just cease to exist in there.

duuuuuude
It doesn't cease to exist. A black hole is a sphere of matter, so the matter that falls into it would add up to the black hole. The only thing that makes the black hole special is that it's so dense it has such a gravitational pull that not even photons can escape.
So anything that falls in there just gets crushed really small and added up to that sphere of mass.

That 1.4 trillion kms is either off by a factor of 1000, or that's the size of the gas cloud they found it in. That's all I've got.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Mass Effect 2 was right
o2h5pfP.png

Considering Sag A* is only 44 million km in diameter I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the black hole.

Yeah. Which I why I said unless that number is off by a factor of 1000 they're probably talking about the gas cloud.

Although the Crab Nebula is 11ly across, so maybe 1.4 trillion kms is small for a giant gas cloud.

Edit: reread the article, the cloud is 150 trillion kms, and the black hole is no more than 1.4 trillion kms across according to computer models, which I think we can safely assume is way, way off (or MACHOs are about to make a huge comeback)

About the size, they say it has about 10^5 solar masses, so you can just calculate the radius to be about 150 thousand km. The number reported is most likely just an upper bound.

I read an interesting thing on Reddit the other which helped, a tiny bit, to put the scale of the universe into perspective. It was a photo of a milometer (though it was in Kilometers, so I dunno what you call them) of a truck and the truck had travelled 299,792, or about 186,282 - and by doing so, it had travelled exactly the same distance as light travels in one second.

This.

Fun fact: If you compressed all of the mass of the Earth down into a sphere with a 4mm radius, the Earth would become a black hole.

Regular Earth and BH Earth have the same gravitational pull, because they have the same mass. However, BH Earth has an escape velocity exceeding the Speed of light due to it's effect on local time-space. It's smaller size-yet equivalent mass has a dramatically greater warping effect.

Jinroh

The black hole in the center of our galaxy is the size of our solar system. So yeah, this smaller black hole won’t be this size.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Btw MOST stars are binary systems with two (or more stars) and there are PLENTY of binary black holes too for roughly the same reason.

jotun?

However, BH Earth has an escape velocity exceeding the Speed of light due to it's effect on local time-space. It's smaller size-yet equivalent mass has a dramatically greater warping effect.

The reason light can't escape is really much more bizarre than simply saying a black hole has a high "escape velocity". Beyond the event horizon, spacetime is curved so much that no path even exists that doesn't lead into the center

Nokterian

Fascinating that there is even a larger black hole, have read and seen docu's about it and it is pretty scary when you think of it how powerful something like that is.

Kevyt

You are right. From the perspective of the infalling observer, it takes only a finite amount of time to reach the singularity. His time is only dilated with respect to a stationary observer outside.

Can you explain more on this?

Edit: Yes, I'm serious. I'm a bit confused especially per the previous post

Top Bottom