• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asura's Wrath (Capcom X CC2, powered by UE3) - Screenshots Post 24 / Trailer Post 31

TreIII

Dahbomb said:
This game is like Godhand crossed with DBZ/Fist of the North Star. Just crazy over the top manly rage and in your face punching and godly powers.

Hey it might actually turn out to be good if it isn't so QTE heavy.

Can't be emphasized enough. Hope this type of notion is echoed around the web, and Capcom and CC2 will make the right choice.

Dahbomb said:
This game is like Godhand crossed with DBZ/Fist of the North Star. Just crazy over the top manly rage and in your face punching and godly powers.

Hey it might actually turn out to be good if it isn't so QTE heavy.

This is the game First of the North Star should have been. Then again, CC2 is in a league of their own. Must be something in the drinking water in Fukuoka.

El Sloth

Banned
Game looks pretty cool, although I always get bored after playing the God Of War games for more than 1 hour so we'll see.

Youtube knows what's up:

Youtube said:
Why can't we ever talk out our problems?

Instead we poke people with our giant space Buddhas.

Honestly.

:lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Watched the trailer today, looking forward to the gameplay being just as crazy awesome as the video is. I mostly hate QTE's but I didn't mind them here, it just gave a cool feel of "you'll be playing this" or something. Here's hoping that it's used sparsely with decent implementations and not on overly long and random unfun bullshit sequences.

UUUGGGAAAHHH.

DeVeAn

That Trailer was amazing, CC2 has stepped up again. I bet Keiji will take all the credit for this one too :lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
weeaboo said:
It's UE3, 30fps and be thankful

I've never understood this, why does it appear to be set in stone that ue3 games can't run above 30fps?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Frankfurt said:
Mortal Kombat is the only 60fps console game.

Again, why? It's not like it's uncommon for devs to scale down a game and use smoke and mirrors in order to reach 60fps. Just look at the cod franchise.

weeaboo

Corky said:
I've never understood this, why does it appear to be set in stone that ue3 games can't run above 30fps?

If I remember right there's only one console game which runs UE3 above 30fps, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and It was a fucking sub-HD eyerape.

weeaboo said:
If I remember right there's only one console game which runs UE3 above 30fps, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and It was a fucking sub-HD eyerape.

The most recent Mortal Kombat is 60fps and 720p but it's a heavily modified UE3. The Vita and PS3 versions of Dungeon Defenders are also supposed to be 60fps but it doesn't look like a very demanding game.

I like how some Japanese developers think that having their games be "blessed" with a Gonorrheal Engine 3 license is such a boastful act that they need to put it front and center in big bold letters.

No need my Japanese friends, I could tell from the trademark grating graphical tell tales what we were dealing with there from the first second of video footage.

By the by, has anyone worked with that engine? Is there a contractual obligation you sign onto to which states that you can only use browns, drab yellows and rusty reds as the colour palette of your game, or this that just a engine limitation?

Frankfurt

Banned
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Is there a contractual obligation you sign onto to which states that you can only use browns, drab yellows and rusty reds as the colour palette of your game, or this that just a engine limitation?

Mortal Kombat once again says hi.

BadWolf

Just love everything about the game, especially the setting/designs, feels like I always wanted something like this, something only Japan could deliver, but never thought I'd get it.

A hero with six arms though, didn't see that one coming.

dramatis

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
By the by, has anyone worked with that engine? Is there a contractual obligation you sign onto to which states that you can only use browns, drab yellows and rusty reds as the colour palette of your game, or this that just a engine limitation?
Add Tera Online to the list of differently colored UE3 games. It's possibly the most colorful UE3 game out there, and quite a good deal more colorful than games that run on other engines.

NCSoft is also using UE3 for their upcoming MMO Blade and Soul, and while that palette is probably closer to your browns and drab yellows, it's got a variety of color.

I'm more curious about JP devs that use UE3 in their games. The only one I know of other than this one is The Last Remnant (also quite colorful). I wonder if they're not eager to use something they didn't build themselves.

abstract alien said:
I can get with that...

Gotta be the capture quality. I mean, it has to be :^(
can't be real..
or at least i hope it'll get some serious optimization by release date..
30 fps stable is the bottom-line, no less that that for pete's sake...

_dementia said:
Mirror's Edge too.

Mirror's Edge, yeah, that one comes up a lot, but see Dice wrote their own renderer for that game, which is why it does not have the tell tale signs of the UE look.

Mortal Combat certainly does, as do pretty much every other game out there made using that engine. It is not a simple case of colour palette either, although that is definitely a prevalent theme, it is the whole overarching visual aesthetic of the way that engine renders games, especially the way it handles bump mapping which is an effect everyone seems to be very fond of abusing as well as the janky way things animate and move and the way all lighting seems to have a drab yellowish tint to it so even colourful games look brownish yellow and drab. I am not sure how to describe it better.

In short, I see your handful of games with passable visuals and raise you an order of magnitude games with a very serious case of UE look. Anywaste, my point is that engine offers nothing to be proud about so I find it a bit cringe worthy when certain Japanese devs seem almost proud of having landed it, as if it is some sort of arcane magic that will make their games better. Cheaper to make, maybe, but better for me, the end user, never.

Shadows of the Damned did the same proud proclamation and I have to say, just as expected, their choice of engine certainly did not work out for me as a end user, your experience may vary.

Top Bottom