• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: ASUS ROG Winter 2014 – StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

SamuraiX-

ASUS ROG kicks off the year 2014 with another premier StarCraft II tournament in the Nordic, ASUS ROG Winter 2014! ASUS ROG StarCraft II tournaments return to Helsinki on January 31 with a two day event presenting a roster of 32 players and a $25,000 prize pool. The tournament is also part of the StarCraft II World Championship Series as a WCS Global Event, with 4,000 WCS points to distribute.

Format

• Two dual tournament group stages with the top two players from each group advancing to the bracket stage.
  • An eight-player, single-elimination playoff bracket.
  • All matches are Best of 5. Grand Final is Best of 7.
Prize Pool

$25,000 and 4,000 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $10,000 + 750 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $5,000 + 500 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $3,000 + 375 WCS Points
  • 5th - 8th Place - $1,000 + 250 WCS Points
  • 9th - 16th Place - 125 WCS Points
Participants

ibyB817rKkpTMz.png

* VortiX, Nerchio, Bly, Kas and Strelok are replaced by Life, SortOf, Protosser, MorroW and Naama, respectively.
** NaNiwa and Bischu cancel due to illness and no replacement players are added.

Schedule

Real time updates with Google Docs! Includes links to associated streams.

Even better is to use the ASUS ROG Automated Stream Guide by Team Liquid's R1CH!

Results

Streams

SamuraiX-

It's just not TaeJa's day... He somehow lost to SortOf and now Serral of all players is looking to kick him out of the tournament in the Ro32... TaeJa just lost 2 Medivacs full of units in Game 1 and insta-gg'd. :(

What happened to the TaeJa with insane macro that would make ridiculous comebacks?

Edit: TaeJa barely survives the Ro32... ;_;

Looks like his preparation is lacking coming into 2014.

SamuraiX-

ForGG 3-1'd Jaedong and Apoc somehow took Dear to 5 games... ForGG may actually have a chance of taking this tournament. #terranhope

Life vs San should be starting soon.

SamuraiX-

Life is gone... San 3-0'd him. I know Life really hates the ZvP match up right now.

So confirmed 1 Terran and 3 Protoss in the semifinals. lololololol

ForGG DAT TERRAN HOPE.

His TvP looked particularly impressive when he played San in the second group stage but Dear is a very different beast. I think if he can take down Dear in a Bo5, he definitely takes this tournament.

PCxsF5T.png

Life is actually speaking in Korean here. It's a very famous saying that's been going around. Allow me to translate: "Fuck you, David Kim. I hope you choke on all of the dicks."

survivor

Banned
Taeja, Jaedong and Life are all out? And I'm stuck with 3 toss players? Bah, not worth watching unless ForGG can pull an upset.

SamuraiX-

Rewatching all the games TaeJa lost, he was doing like IdrA gg timings. If anything went wrong, he just tapped out. It didn't even really have to be something substantial! Example is Game 1 vs Dear in Group Stage 2.

He seemed to have no composure at this tournament.

Edit: Ok, you guys need to go watch Game 1 and Game 2 of TaeJa vs Dear: http://www.twitch.tv/poisontvde/b/499613502?t=9h44m8s

Either TaeJa was trying to make a statement about the TvP match up or I just don't know what. Those gg timings were just wtf.

SamuraiX-

BASED FORGG

Currently 2-0 vs Dear!

Looks like Widow Mines are about to become the new meta in TvP. Bomber has already employed them to great success and now ForGG may very well win a tournament with WM tactics! :D

Some great micro by ForGG. His multi-pronged attacks have had perfect control.

Most definitely. sogud :3

Syf

Banned
Oh, didn't know we have a thread for this tournament lol. ForGG playing incredibly well, but at the same time I don't get why Dear is making some of these mistakes. He's not playing nearly as well as he was last year.

SamuraiX-

And then he throws the game in Game 3 after spotting the Warp Prism halfway to his base and proceeds to throw away all his army and all his workers..........

ForGG, please do not throw this series.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
it's about to be a pvp final.

seeing forgg snipe like 7 ht and then losing the hold with 5 bunkers was hard to watch.

SamuraiX-

Sloppy Games 3 and 5 from ForGG.

gg Protoss

gg David Kim

I'm actually tuning out on this one. Dear, San and StarDust? Really don't give a fuck about any of them.

Enjoy the title, Dear.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sloppy Games 3 and 5 from ForGG.

gg Protoss

gg David Kim

I'm actually tuning out on this one. Dear, San and StarDust? Really don't give a fuck about any of them.

Enjoy the title, Dear.

what was sloppy from forgg in game 5?

great drops

great ht snipes

dear just let him have the gold without storming it, much less just walking up the ramp and killing it.

dear opened with the worst comp of oracles and pheonix against forggs mass marines but forgg couldn't take a lead early on because of the mass zealot-ht tech switch warp in (ht which he basically threw away)

and forgg called the 2 base all in and built the 5 bunkers well in advance but it just didn't help all that much.

forgg played really well. that match just made the pvt match up look so bad

Yeah its gonna be awesome that the Ghost is gonna be buffed, thats really gonna save this match up. #Kappa

Well I hope tournaments like lower viewership numbers for the next few months or so until something is done.

SamuraiX-

what was sloppy from forgg in game 5?

great drops

great ht snipes

dear just let him have the gold without storming it, much less just walking up the ramp and killing it.

dear opened with the worst comp of oracles and pheonix against forggs mass marines but forgg couldn't take a lead early on because of the mass zealot-ht tech switch warp in (ht which he basically threw away)

and forgg called the 2 base all in and built the 5 bunkers well in advance but it just didn't help all that much.

forgg played really well. that match just made the pvt match up look so bad

Sloppy compared to his performances in Game 1 and 2. If that was any other Terran, I would just say fuck Toss and move along.

In Game 5 he omitted infantry armor upgrades and seemingly didn't prioritize upgrades in the first place. He tried to hit Dear's third with only a fraction of his army while the rest was still rallying across the map and Dear already being in a perfect position to defend. ForGG also attacked at the worst possible angle with Dear's reinforcements meeting him before he could even touch the Nexus/worker line.

The HT snipes were nice but then when it came time to fall back to his bunkers, he loaded up in them way too late and pulled SCVs for repair way too late and let two in the corner die seemingly for free.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sloppy compared to his performances in Game 1 and 2. If that was any other Terran, I would just say fuck Toss and move along.

In Game 5 he omitted infantry armor upgrades and seemingly didn't prioritize upgrades in the first place. He tried to hit Dear's third with only a fraction of his army while the rest was still rallying across the map and Dear already being in a perfect position to defend. ForGG also attacked at the worst possible angle with Dear's reinforcements meeting him before he could even touch the Nexus/worker line.

The HT snipes were nice but then when it came time to fall back to his bunkers, he loaded up in them way too late and pulled SCVs for repair way too late and let two in the corner die seemingly for free.
alright, fair enough, but then i would say that they both played somewhat sloppily and dear was even sloppier. the way he handled the terrans gold was just all kinds of weird. that gold allowed forgg to survive after that push on his bunkers for a few more minutes and would have taken like 7 seconds to de-worker that expansion earlier.

SamuraiX-

Yeah, Dear seemed to just want to try to shutdown the gold with as few units as possible but never really could. I can understand him not wanting to get sandwiched but a single HT with +150 energy up the ramp for two storms would've been more effective at clearing out that worker line compared to what he was doing.

Aaron

Remember when San used to be that sad protoss who was first out in almost every match? Now he's two up in a finals and he still looks kind of sad.

San was unstoppable in this tourney. Kind of crazy.

Top Bottom