• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Women’s EURO 2017 [OT] The Netherlands 16 July – 6 August

Peru

Wiki said:
The 2017 UEFA Women's Championship, commonly referred to as UEFA Women's Euro 2017, will be the 12th edition of the UEFA Women's Championship, the quadrennial international football championship organised by UEFA for the women's national teams of Europe.

The competition will be expanded from twelve teams in the previous edition to 16 teams. The Netherlands were declared as hosts by the UEFA Executive Committee on 4 December 2014.

qiDWouC.jpg

69peJB7.png

uMTPDUL.jpg

Where can i watch?

Matches will be broadcast the world over on TV and online. They will be streamed on UEFA.com and UEFA.tv in territories where no partner has been appointed.

UK: Channel 4, US: ESPN, for full information on all territories: http://www.uefa.com/womenseuro/season=2017/finals/tv/index.html

Group stage (all times CEST, UK one hour behind):

16 July, 18.00 (Utrecht): Netherlands v Norway - Group A
16 July, 20.45 (Doetinchem): Denmark v Belgium - Group A

17 July, 18.00 (Rotterdam): Italy v Russia - Group B
17 July, 20.45 (Breda): Germany v Sweden - Group B

18 July, 18.00 (Deventer): Austria v Switzerland - Group C
18 July, 20.45 (Tilburg): France v Iceland - Group C

19 July, 18.00 (Doetinchem): Spain v Portugal - Group D
19 July, 20.45 (Utrecht): England v Scotland - Group D

20 July, 18.00 (Breda): Norway v Belgium - Group A
20 July, 20.45 (Rotterdam): Netherlands v Denmark - Group A

21 July, 18.00 (Deventer): Sweden v Russia - Group B
21 July, 20.45 (Tilburg): Germany v Italy - Group B

22 July, 18.00 (Doetinchem): Iceland v Switzerland - Group C
22 July, 20.45 (Utrecht): France v Austria - Group C

23 July, 18.00 (Rotterdam): Scotland v Portugal - Group D
23 July, 20.45 (Breda): England v Spain - Group D

24 July, 20.45 (Tilburg): Belgium v Netherlands - Group A
24 July, 20.45 (Deventer): Norway v Denmark - Group A

25 July, 20.45 (Utrecht): Russia v Germany - Group B
25 July, 20.45 (Doetinchem): Sweden v Italy - Group B

26 July, 20.45 (Rotterdam): Iceland v Australia - Group C
26 July, 20.45 (Breda): Switzerland v France - Group C

27 July, 20.45 (Tilburg): Portugal v England - Group D
27 July, 20.45 (Deventer): Scotland v Spain - Group D

Knockout stages

Venues:

Breda: Rat Verlegh Stadion
Deventer: Stadion De Adelaarshorst
Doetinchem: Stadion De Vijverberg
Enschede: FC Twente Stadion
Rotterdam: Sparta Stadion
Tilburg: Willem II Stadion
Utrecht: Stadion Galgenwaard

rL12zWW.jpg

The teams, in order of highest to lowest FIFA ranking

GERMANY (FIFA #2) - HOLDERS
Always favorites for the EURO, but new coach Steffi Jones' team will perhaps have to fighter harder than ever to get the trophy this time.

Player(s) to watch:
Star Dzsenifer Marozsán, steady steely full-back Tabea Kemme

FRANCE (FIFA #3)
One the most entertaining team to watch with the ball, but perennially underscoring, struggling to find that steady goal scorer among their strikers.

Player(s) to watch:
Eugenie Le Sommer scores steadily for Lyon, Bouhaddi is one of the top GKs in the world, Henry, Renard, Abily, etc.

ENGLAND (FIFA #5)
Came into their own under Mark Sampson with a World Cup bronze medal. English club league steadily improving, with more and more money put into it. #5 team in the world? Not sure.

Player(s) to watch:
Forwards duo Toni Duggan and Fran Kirby, defender Lucy Bronze

SWEDEN (FIFA #9)
Champions of the first women's EURO in 1984 but no international title since, Sweden is always dangerous and looming and with a strong home league. Silver medal in Rio.

Player(s) to watch:
Young rising star Stina Blackstenius, recently signed by Montpellier, is a likely candidate for Sweden's top scorer. Caroline Seger.

NORWAY (FIFA #11)
Runners-up in Sweden 2013, but have struggled to make use of some of the top club football players in the world. New coach, young team and new focus is promising, but unsure if it all comes together right now.

Player(s) to watch:
Ada Hegerberg, typical top scorer type, voted the best player in the world earlier this spring, Caroline Graham Hansen, perhaps the euros best 1-on-1.

NETHERLANDS (FIFA #12)
Believe it or not, the 2015 World Cup was the hosts' first. May do damage at home. Tough group.

Player(s) to watch:
Vivianne Miedema, who went from international top team Bayern Munich to international top team Arsenal this year.

SPAIN (FIFA #13)
Spanish women's football is on the up and up. A few years ago things were dire, now Barcelona reached the semi-final of the Champion's League this year in front of tens of thousands.

Player(s) to watch:
Jennifer Hermoso

DENMARK (FIFA #15)
Have struggled to quality for World Cup's, done decently at the EUROs with a semifinal last time in 2013. Strong profiles and strong club teams.

Player(s) to watch:
Captain Pernille Harder. Was a top player in the Swedish league, now in the German league. World class.

SWITZERLAND (FIFA #17)
Relatively new to the international top stage. Crushed their qualifying group with eight straight wins.

Player(s) to watch:
Chelsea's Ramona Bachmann, natural authority on any team, look for her speedy runs.

ITALY (FIFA #18)
Squad largely made up of Serie A players. Italy was a reliable performer in the EUROs but have fallen on the rankings in the past few years. 2nd behind the Swiss in qualis.

Player(s) to watch:
Veteran Melania Gabbiadini.

ICELAND (FIFA #19)
Never qualified for the World Cup, first EURO in 2009. Won their qualifying group on goal difference v Scotland.

Player(s) to watch:
Midfielder Sara Björk Gunnarsdóttir plays on the 2nd best team in the world, Wolfsburg; Harpa Þorsteinsdóttir.

SCOTLAND (FIFA #21)
First time qualifier for the EUROs! Never been in either the World Cup or Euro. Haven't seen much of what they can do, excited to see what kind of team they've formed.

Player(s) to watch:
Look out for 18 yo Erin Cuthbert, more veteran goal scorer Jane Ross of Man City.

BELGIUM (FIFA #22)
Another team with little or poor results in women's football until recently. This is their first major tournament.

Player(s) to watch:
Tessa Wullaert, Wolfsburg star and all-time top scorer for Belgium.

AUSTRIA (FIFA #24)
Slow but steady improvements has been the name of the game for Austria in the 00s. Austria too will see their first major international tournament here.

Player(s) to watch:
MF Viktoria Schnaderbeck

RUSSIA (FIFA #25)
Second in their qualis group, an ocean behind Germany and comfortably ahead of Hungary. I don't see it happening here.

Player(s) to watch:
Veteran GK Elvira Todua

PORTUGAL (FIFA #38)
Surprise! Tears of joy as low-ranked rookies Portugal qualified for their first major tournament. Squeaked by on goal difference with same amount of points as more unfortunate Finland.

Player(s) to watch:
Ana Borges

Guide to the tournament and teams

Thanks for the OT.

I watched Women's football for the first time out of support. Thought that it deserved good viewership and hopefully would make more people interested.

That was wrong of me.

You should watch it because these women play some amazing football. Its a slower game than mens but that leads to some cracking plays and goals.

Hopefully England smashes it this year.

TheJoRu

Swede here, will make sure to watch all my national team's games and perhaps some others as well. Don't have particularly high hopes for my team, but their performance tends to be highly unpredictable, so they can surprise.

Chuckie

Hope the Orange Lionesses do well!

Edit: Oh wow...they even designed a new crest for them. Awesome.

3.png

patapuf

I'm out of the Loop.

Is Germany still considered the strongest women's team with France and England not too far behind?

Any team that's quickly rising through the ranks?

Edit: reading the OP, seems that's still the case, at least on paper.

We won the last six EURO's and eight out of the last nine? Damn.

I remember France totally outplayed us at the last World Cup, even though we still won the game. Don't know how the teams changed since then, but maybe they'll win it this year.

Vimes

Was wondering if I could watch this in USA, looks like ESPN when I can and Univision the rest of the time.

Peru

Decent look at the status quo for club football in Europe in front of the tournament:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40596589

It is only four years since the previous Women's Euros ended with Germany as champions. Yet between then and now, and with Euro 2017 about to start, the European women's game has changed to the point that it is scarcely recognisable.

Maybe not the case 10 years ago, but today the best quality women's football is not found in the Euro and WC anymore, but in the Champion's League finals.

Peru

It's game day, opening match is right around the corner and Utrecht is getting ready

20180717_1069077419894553_541952219088420864_n.jpg

18.00 (Utrecht): Netherlands v Norway - Group A
20.45 (Doetinchem): Denmark v Belgium - Group A

Peru

Netherlands with most chances so far, but Hegerberg and Graham Hansen finally finding each other. That could lead to goals. Still we're too static on the rest of the pitch.

RocknRola

Lol wow.

Our female Dutch squad has more creativity on the midfield than our men squad

I mean... you guys missed the Euro and are looking to miss the World Cup if you don't improve :p

The ladies doing better than the men isn't that shocking given their performance these past 3-4 years :p

Peru

Deserved loss for us. We have to admit we're 3-4 great players and not 1 great team. Understandable when we've lost half of the team from previous tournaments and we're now a young team with players down to 18. And the official word has always been that we'll see the team in full bloom next World Cup. Still, part of the blame on the coach. Put Hansen on the wing and we might see more of Hegerberg in the box.

DE3_aW9VwAABRVq.jpg

Chuckie

We also have a lion in our badge (always have, even with the men)

Yeah the Dutch male squad also has a lion since the beginning. It is just a nice detail the ladies get to have a lioness instead of a lion.

OT, nice performance of the Dutchies! Could have scored more, but I am happy nonetheless.

Peru

Iceland should have gotten a penalty and not France. Total bullshit.

Nah. Iceland player wouldn't let go https://twitter.com/WoSoComps/status/887411806771138560

Meanwhile this was more of a tumble https://twitter.com/WoSoComps/status/887396523453042688

I don't like seeing matches decided on penalty, but overall France had the pressure throughout and deserved the win. Entertaining match though and good tactical effort by Iceland. France needs to find a way to make use of Le Sommer.

Strax

Nah. Iceland player wouldn't let go https://twitter.com/WoSoComps/status/887411806771138560

Meanwhile this was more of a tumble https://twitter.com/WoSoComps/status/887396523453042688

I don't like seeing matches decided on penalty, but overall France had the pressure throughout and deserved the win. Entertaining match though and good tactical effort by Iceland. France needs to find a way to make use of Le Sommer.

As football ref myself I feel the replays are clear that Iceland should've gotten a pen, at least more so then France but that's football I guess. I also disagree with you on a deserved win by France. This was a deserved tie imo.

Peru

Rough start for Scotland. England clinical.

As football ref myself I feel the replays are clear that Iceland should've gotten a pen, at least more so then France but that's football I guess. I also disagree with you on a deserved win by France. This was a deserved tie imo.

France had 67% possession and 21-4 attempts on goal over Iceland.

I came in here to congratulate England for last night's victory, but not so sure after Meadows post... :p

Nah, England put on a clinic. Just too good. Even if we were full strength, it was still a big ask.

The club game here is still far, far behind the powerhouses down south. Slowly but surely, teams out with Glasgow City are gaining experience and talent so I'm hopeful any further competitive meeting between the Auld Feminine Enemies will be more of a game!

The hosts about to complete a second 1-0 victory on the trot against Denmark, Spitse converting from the spot early on.

Norway have to beat Denmark now and hope Netherlands does them a favour against Belgium.

Peru

Norway's just not there. We've got some top players but a) the team is half new, and hasn't settled and b) why play Graham Hansen centre and not wide ... This is what she's paid to do https://twitter.com/WoSoComps/status/888088138811285504

Denmark were strong despite loss. Hosts now through.

Need a gif of that last goal, was glorious.

All the lads in the office that usually discuss football were discussing it this morning, saying they wish the Men's team played this well.

https://twitter.com/WSUasa/status/887774463638503425

Why can't I get gifs out of these twitter things.

Scotland are unstable but not bad. Bit of a bad day and England really know how to score. You know.. there are a lot of great teams here that can't convert well enough. Starting to think England's a threat.

Top Bottom