• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Germany was totally outplayed, but Germany doesn't spare you if you make dumb mistakes no matter if it's A, B or 10 years old playing for them.

Chile created a lot of chances but was unable to score and had an awful defence.

So both hyperbolic reactions (OMG! Germany B beat you / OMG! how pathetic was that win) are unwarranted.

The German B-team might be worse than Chile's full squad, but they executed their strategy perfectly and came away with the win. You can't really say they got out played when they played the game they wanted to, how they wanted to do it.

Xando

I mean, do those last two Copa Americas's not count all of a sudden? & recent WC qualifiers form?

What have Argentina done to deserve that spot over Chile? lol.

Cant imagine you even watch South American football to come to that conclusion. Unless of course you're basing this on the quality of players on paper.

No offense but Copa America is not anywhere near the lvl of play of the EC or WC.

Let's look at the last 4 world cups and how the teams placed:

Argentina

2002 group stage
2006 quarter final
2010 quarter final
2014 runners up

Chile

2002 did not qualify
2006 did not qualify
2010 round of 16
2014 round of 16

I'm not saying you guys suck or anything. You can beat top games on a good day but i don't see Chile fighting for the world cup

cLOUDo

Results of what? Fifa rankings?

I'd take Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil or Argentina over Chile in any serious competition.

You have some very good players but not top 5 good.
Lol wat?
You don't know much about soccer didn't?

Chile eliminated Spain in the recent world cup and lost in penalties against Brazil(playing better than them)

And wins 2 finals against Argentina.

And in my opinion Chile is way better than Italy and France

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ni4lX7D.jpg

Syder

I predict Chile will do terribly next year because of burn out.

When was the last time these players like Sanchez and Vidal had a full Summer of rest?

Zasa

No offense but Copa America is not anywhere near the lvl of play of the EC or WC.

Argentina

2002 group stage
2006 quarter final
2010 quarter final
2014 runners up

Chile

2002 did not qualify
2006 did not qualify
2010 round of 16
2014 round of 16

I'm not saying you guys suck or anything. You can beat top games on a good day but i don't see Chile fighting for the world cup
Why are you bringing in results from competitions that happened 15 years ago? Just completely irrelevant for so many reasons. This is an Argentina team with a newly appointed manager who is still an unknown quantity (will be topdogs though, for sure). & who have played shoddy football at best ever since the Bauza appoinment.

They'd be lucky to be even a top 4 CONMEBOL team just based off qualifier form.

Copa América isn't anywhere near the level of the EC? Lol, alright, I give up.

Ostinatto

Argentina

2002 group stage
2006 quarter final
2010 quarter final
2014 runners up

Chile

2002 did not qualify
2006 did not qualify
2010 round of 16
2014 round of 16

Copa America is not anywhere near the lvl of play of the EuroCup ??

woah !!!

RocknRola

I predict Chile will do terribly next year because of burn out.

When was the last time these players like Sanchez and Vidal had a full Summer of rest?

Pre 2014, for sure. WC, Copa America, Copa Centenario and now Confed Cup. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

4 years of little to no vacations.

Xando

Why are you bringing in results from competitions that happened 15 years ago? Just completely irrelevant for so many reasons. This is an Argentina team with a newly appointed manager who is still an unknown quantity (will be topdogs though, for sure). & who have plsyef shoddy football at best ever since the Bauza appoinment.

And yet i'd put 50 quid down and say Argentina will place higher than Chile next WC.

Copa America is not anywhere near the lvl of play of the EuroCup ??

woah !!!

Are you claiming otherwise?

Why do you think your best players go to europe if they can find the same lvl of play at home?

Auraela

Banned
Why does chile have a chance of winning world cup when they couldn't finish against German b team.

Chile dominated the game but if u cant finish well this game tells u what happens.

Chile had 20 shots on target n still didnt get net. They wont get half as many in world cup games next year

Entertaining game, both teams with a shaky defense and missed chances in the offense.

Great learning experience for our young players, I don't envy Löw having to assemble our team for next year.

Chile is still a contender next year, but outside of the top 5.

Why does chile have a chance of winning world cup when they couldn't finish against German b team.

Chile dominated the game but if u cant finish well this game tells u what happens.

Chile had 20 shots on target n still didnt get net. They wont get half as many in world cup games next year

I think Chile is going to get to the quarter finals at best next year.

Ostinatto

And yet i'd put 50 quid down and say Argentina will place higher than Chile next WC.

Are you claiming otherwise?

Why do you think your best players go to europe if they can find the same lvl of play at home?

Do you watch South American football at all?

Why the best south American players go to Europe?are you talking about European Clubs? aren't we talking about national teams? ok, because european clubs pays like 100 times the money than any club here in South america on average,

mavo

Banned
Argentina is not better than Chile right now, cut it out lol.. Stop overrating those underachieving bums

Yet, they could only beat Argentina on penalties after they choked, twice.

Don't wanna hate on Chile tbh because i like the work they have done, Chile truly exposes what years of work can do on a national team, but talent-wise is just not comparable, i don't know everything about Chile talent pool, but Chile has more field players from Liga MX than Mexico (As of today of course), and..well, we are talking about Mexico here.

Lol wat?

Chile eliminated Spain in the recent world cup and lost in penalties against Brazil(playing better than them)

WAY better than Italy? No! I am an Italian living in Chile and would kill to see Italy play Chile. They really have rarely ever played each other in history, but when they have, it was a bloody disgracful mess. lol Would be good fun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santiago_(1962_FIFA_World_Cup)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Otoh if Alexis regains his finishing form next year... be scared.

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these Chilean guys' bodies are breaking down at this point.

You can see that happening to Alexis. During all this tournament, but specially in the last two matches he looked kinda slow and lacking that typical explosive moves.

I hope everyone rest as much as they can. There's still the remaining of the WC qualys and those matches are going to be hard as hell to win.

Zasa

Yet, they could only beat Argentina on penalties after they choked, twice.

Don't wanna hate on Chile tbh because i like the work they have done, Chile truly exposes what years of work can do on a national team, but talent-wise is just not comparable, i don't know everything about Chile talent pool, but Chile has more field players from Liga MX than Mexico (As of today of course), and..well, we are talking about Mexico here.
Talent wise for sure. I don't think anyone will argue Chile has a better roster than Brazil, Argentina, etc. But when our players put on a shirt, it's a whole different ball game.

Anyway, why does it even matter? This has been the case with Chile for years yet we'll still managed to beat top teams & win two Copa America's. Vargas who's regularly pounced on the world's best teams for Chile & will go down as one of it's top scorers of all time, is a club failure. Team ethic & manager quality >

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What game did you watch?

Germany had scoring opportunities but none as far as I can remember came via a build up play. Pressing, Chile mistake, counter. Very efficient. But that was only a very small part of the game. The majority was Chile attacking, getting big chances, missing.

This doesn't diminish the victory for Germany. Löw really maximised the team he had.

v1lla21

The German B-team might be worse than Chile's full squad, but they executed their strategy perfectly and came away with the win. You can't really say they got out played when they played the game they wanted to, how they wanted to do it.
Bingo. They played exactly the same as they did against Mexico and just counterattacked and capitalized on the backline's errors. Mexico and Chile both suffered from not being able to score any of their chances. Although Mexico was terrible at defending. Lol.

nampad

Good summer for Germany, U21 EC and Confed cup both won with B-teams.

To weight in into the discussion, Chile is a top team worldwide going by their recent successes. On paper though, they don't have such a strong squad compared to other national teams.
But football is a team sport so having top players on paper doesn't help if they can't perform as a team.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They didn't execute their strategy perfectly though. Both Chile and Mexico had an insane amount of chances to score, so defensively Germany wasn't very sound. But it's on Chile and Mexico that they missed so much.

If it's one part in this team that looked definitely as a B team that was the defence.

mavo

Banned
Talent wise for sure. I don't think anyone will argue Chile has a better roster than Brazil, Argentina, etc. But when our players put on a shirt, it's a whole different ball game.

Anyway, why does it even matter? This has been the case with Chile for years yet we'll still managed to beat top teams & win two Copa America's. Vargas who's regularly pounced on the world's best teams for Chile & will go down as one of it's top scorers of all time, is a club failure. Team ethic & manager quality >

Vargas is such an extreme case of international player, dude has almost as half goals with Chile as he does on Clubs.

And yes playing good matters, and it does a lot, specially on an international level where frankly most teams don't play good, Coaches just don't have enough time to prepare their teams and thats the reason having an established idea where you continue whoever is the coach is the way to go.

Chile started all of this 10 years ago with Bielsa and it gave results both in trophies and play wise; Chile plays so goddam well, really attractive football, they move the ball so quickly and look to get the ball quickly with pressure, Chile is basically what Spaniards think German football is (compared to their more slow style of play).

Chile is definitively a top 10 team.. top 5?? No

Chile plays like a top 5 team for about 10-15 minutes. For those 10-15 minutes they're God-Tier and can pretty much dominate anyone on the planet.

But if they don't score in those 10-15 minutes, then it's usually downhill from there. That's basically what happened today and the majority of this tournament.

Chile has no world class goalscorer, thats why they ended up going to penalties in both copa americas and thats why they werent able to recover after Germany scored that goal. On top of that they are short so they suffer a lot in that area like with Portugal.

Ostinatto

Chile plays like a top 5 team for about 10-15 minutes. For those 10-15 minutes they're God-Tier and can pretty much dominate anyone on the planet.

But if they don't score in those 10-15 minutes, then it's usually downhill from there. That's basically what happened today and the majority of this tournament.

That has nothing to do with raw quality, thats the burnout from playing whole seasons since 2014.

Kuro

France would destroy Chile. So would Brazil right now. Chile got lucky Brazil was absolute shit in copa america from bad coaching and poor player selection.

That's such an exaggerated statement.

What was the downhill today? as the statistics show in a previous post, Chile was fairly superior to Germany in pretty much every aspect of the game.

The problem our players have is -as others already have noted- they are unable to score goals even if they have 1000 chances per match.

I still think Germany winning today was totally fair. They were more efficient than us and that's what it counts at the end: whoever score more, wins. Period.

Also, looking at the performance during the whole tournament, Germany was also the best team. So it's even more deserved, in my opinion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
France would destroy Chile.

Is this because of the friendly against Paraguay? Because I can't think of any of the recent France games that would induce this amount of confidence. Especially not the game against Sweden that came right after.

Or is this because the win against England, because that would be hilarious. England being famous for high quality international football lately.

Blablurn

I still remember that there was a conversation in Germany, where people said, the Italien team is better because they sing the anthem louder.

And now we have another Golden Generation.

Dat German football factory <3

Chile is not going to do anything special next year, let's be real. They are an old squad that rely on guys like Medel to play out of their natural position because they lack depth and they will only be one year older next summer.

Lol wat?

Let's not get carried away here.
Chile needs to learn how to score first.

Let's not get carried away here.
Chile needs to learn how to score first.

To learn?, nah, to remember?, yes.

Chile just needs to replace Vargas (he is past his best days IMO) and Alexis needs to rest A LOT (it's pretty obvious he is exhausted) and we'll be back on track. Obviously, it's easier said than done.

Chile has proven time after time they can beat any team in the world, but I agree the statement about being way better than Italy & France is ridiculous.

Regards.

Ostinatto

To learn?, nah, to remember?, yes.

Chile just needs to replace Vargas (he is past his best days IMO) and Alexis needs to rest A LOT (it's pretty obvious he is exhausted) and we'll be back on track. Obviously, it's easier said than done.

Chile has proven time after time they can beat any team in the world, but I agree the statement about being way better than Italy & France is ridiculous.

Regards.

Or maybe we need another Valdivia to complement Vargas work.

RocknRola

Going into the topic of Fifa rankings, here is why they're silly to begin with:

New Top 10 (after Confed Cup):

1. Germany
2. Brasil
3. Argentina
4. Portugal
5. Switzerland
6. Poland
7. Chile
8. Colombia
9. France
10. Belgium

--

How/why did Portugal rise to 4th, ahead of Chile, even after finishing behind them (and Germany) in said Cup?

What have Poland+Switzerland done in these past few months to warrant a 5th and 6th place?

This is why Fifa rankings are silly, they seem inconsistent even with their own criteria.

Top Bottom