• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd be hard pressed to find any player at the end of a two-week tournament who doesn't have bad blisters on their feet.

Come on, Murray LOVES to play the injured victim. He always has done, and probably always will.

How can he be "playing" injured when we know his injury and have even seen it?

Soule

Should've brought back Stan for the Final, Wawrinka v Djokovich was the highlight of the tournament for me and I hope he continues to play at that level.

Mascot

How can he be "playing" injured when we know his injury and have even seen it?

Well everyone plays tennis injured if blisters are now classed as injuries.
How many times have you seen Murray clutch his leg when he loses a big point? It's a reflex action for him. Martyr complex. Loves being seen as the victim. He screams it with his body language, and it's why a lot of people find him so disagreeable.

MIMIC

Banned
2013 AO Final: Djokovic def. Murray 6-7(2), 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-2

NOVAK BECOMES THE FIRST MAN IN THE OPEN ERA TO WIN 3 STRAIGHT AUSTRALIAN OPEN TITLES!!

0pNX4sH.gif

6 Majors for Novak overall: Australian Open (4x), Wimbledon & U.S. Open

Akito

Well, the latter part was way more one-sided than the beginning had suggested. Not the greatest match between those two, that's for sure.

Gif the Nole celebs!

Too good today.

Murray did well for 3 sets. Needs to keep getting to the final and hell bag a couple more slams at least.

yeah since your favorite didn't win

I always enjoy the Australian Open. It's in my top 2 favorite slams. The French open has always been my least favorite, and it's not because Nadal dominates it. The level of tennis seems to drop on clay, and they never have night matches because they haven't invented electricity in France yet.

Djoko just took care of business. Murray didn't have much left in the tank after a while. Pretty average final in comparison with the previous two AO finals. Sums up the whole tournament really, only one real stand out match was Stan the man vs Djokovic.

Globox_82

Banned
Djoko just took care of business. Murray didn't have much left in the tank after a while. Pretty average final in comparison with the previous two AO finals. Sums up the whole tournament really, only one real stand out match was Stan the man vs Djokovic.

LMAO that just tells me how many matches you watched

I always enjoy the Australian Open. It's in my top 2 favorite slams. The French open has always been my least favorite, and it's not because Nadal dominates it. The level of tennis seems to drop on clay, and they never have night matches because they haven't invented electricity in France yet.

Games susp due to darkness is annoying!

At least they can tell Murray "hey you've got a slam and you'll get more!" Instead of the "Well, we're sure you'll win a slam eventually"

MIMIC

Banned

w00t

*will repost on every tennis forum on the Internet*

Djokovic Beats Murray For History-Making Melbourne Win
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic became the first man in the Open Era to win three successive Australian Open titles after rallying from behind to defeat No. 3 Andy Murray 6-7(2), 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-2 on Sunday night in Melbourne. Djokovic was presented with the trophy by Andre Agassi.

The Serbian captured his sixth Grand Slam championship. He won his first major title at the Australian Open in 2008 (d. Tsonga) and followed with titles at Melbourne Park in 2011 (d. Murray) and 2012 (d. Nadal) and at Wimbledon (d. Nadal) and the US Open (d. Nadal) in 2011. He is the third man in the Open Era to win four Australian Open titles, joining Agassi and Roger Federer.

"What a joy," said Djokovic in an on-court interview. "It's an incredible feeling winning this trophy once more. It's definitely my favourite Grand Slam and my most successful. I love this court. I’d like to congratulate Andy and his team for a great two weeks. We've played so many important matches in the past few years and I hope there are many more to come.”

Djokovic improved to an 11-7 record over Murray in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series, avenging the five-set defeat he suffered to the Scot in last year’s US Open final. As well as defeating Murray in the 2011 Australian Open final, he also denied the Dunblane native in a pulsating five-set semi-final clash in Melbourne last year.

In the three-hour, 40-minute final, Djokovic came close to a two-set deficit, but fought back strongly to beat Murray. After surviving a 0/40 deficit in the second game of the second set, the Serb clinched the second-set tie-break and began to distance himself from Murray. Djokovic did not lose serve throughout.

Both Murray and Djokovic came through testing matches to reach the final in Melbourne. The top-seeded Djokovic survived a five-set battle with Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round, edging the Swiss 12-10 after five hours of play, while Murray defeated second seed Roger Federer in five sets in the semi-finals.

Murray was attempting to become the first player to back up his first Grand Slam title with victory at the following major championship.
The 25-year-old Scot ended Great Britain’s 76-year wait for a male Grand Slam champion when he triumphed at the US Open in September. He was contesting his third consecutive Grand Slam final, having finished runner-up to Roger Federer at Wimbledon last year.

Murray lost out in the final at Melbourne Park for the third time. In addition to his defeat to Djokovic in 2011, he was beaten by Federer in 2010. The right-hander has a 1-5 record in major finals, having also fallen to Federer in the 2008 US Open title match.
ATP World Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom