• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghstwrld

1000x.jpg

man the williams sisters are great. my mom loves them.

Won't lie. They are the only reason I watch Tennis. Once they are both out of a tourney I just turn off the TV. Similar to the effect Tiger woods has on me with golf. Serena is such a beast. Here is hoping that she has a few more years and a couple more grand slams in her.

Akito

I don't know whether to be amazed or sad by this. Really, has the WTA fell into such a level that the Williams Sister can just stroll on whatever court they wish to snort and then win? No resistance at all? At least when it comes to Federer and the top boys in the ATP they can be dangerously challenged by the rest of the field (as evidenced by Nadal defeated by Rosol or couple of times Federer/Djokovic/Murray had a competitive match against their opponent)
This is Serena's first GS title for 2 years and she'd played many of them. Nadal lost in the second round? Serena got kicked out at the French Open in the first round. There were very close matches but her serve was that what made the difference.
The Williams sisters are still capable but far from being dominant as in their prime, it's just Serena who can still win titles nowadays anyways.

Jay Sosa

I don't know whether to be amazed or sad by this. Really, has the WTA fell into such a level that the Williams Sister can just stroll on whatever court they wish to snort and then win? No resistance at all? At least when it comes to Federer and the top boys in the ATP they can be dangerously challenged by the rest of the field (as evidenced by Nadal defeated by Rosol or couple of times Federer/Djokovic/Murray had a competitive match against their opponent)

not really. Nadal's loss against Rosol was the first time since forever someone of the top 4 lost against a bad opponent (in an important tournament) . IF they lose it's usually against other potential Top 4 players like Tsonga, Berdych or Delpo and at worst some guys just outside the Top 10.

ATP is boring as hell right now, especially the Slams.

Peru

Hilarious that one tournament makes someone diss WTA for being ATP (of recent years) and big upping ATP for being WTA (of recent years). The famous haters' ignorance.

As I've said before, though, Wimbledon is something special for those who find success there. They can win slams years after other slams have been lost at the end of their career.

Jensen

BBC ratings for the final average 11.44m (58.2%) with a peak: 16.9m (67.89%) at 18:00

I think that puts it in the top five broadcasts on British TV for this year.

Xun

I want to get into tennis more, but it's just far too tense for me to do it on a regular basis.

I felt drained after yesterdays match.

BBC ratings for the final average 11.44m (58.2%) with a peak: 16.9m (67.89%) at 18:00

I think that puts it in the top five broadcasts on British TV for this year.

I think the England QF vs Italy got an average of 20m viewers on BBC. I'm surprised that this was only 11.44m, literally everyone I know watched it and the BBC had it exclusively.

Crazy that Serena wins singles AND doubles....AGAIN.....with her SISTER! lol

Williams domination.

they only play Bo3 and she plays with another great player and multiple slam winner against gals that only play doubles because they are not good enough for singles.

she's great but those double titles are basically free. if the men would play Bo3 and Roger teamed up with Rafa they would win the doubles GS every year.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think the England QF vs Italy got an average of 20m viewers on BBC and a further 4m on ITV. I'm surprised that this was only 11.44m, literally everyone I know watched it and the BBC had it exclusively.

Average is probably low due to F1 on BBC2 for a 1/3rd of the match. Plus typically more people begin to watch the later in to the match so averages vary quite dramatically from peaks.

I want to get into tennis more, but it's just far too tense for me to do it on a regular basis.

I felt drained after yesterdays match.

you could just watch the grand slams theres only like what 4-5 a year?

i was actually gonna ask what other tournaments are worth watching besides those.. if the tennis channel is worth getting

Wes

venison crêpe

i was actually gonna ask what other tournaments are worth watching besides those.. if the tennis channel is worth getting

Below the Slams the Masters series is the most prestigous tournament on the ATP tour. Series of I think 10 tournaments around the world spread throughout the year culminating in the Masters Finals that take place at the end of the year. The top 8 players in the world (going by if they won a slam then by rankings) compete.

I believe there's a similiar one for the WTA but I've never followed it.

This year you've got the Olympics tournament, also being played at Wimbledon, starting in 3/4 weeks so you don't have to wait long to see free to air tennis coverage!

This year you've got the Olympics tournament, also being played at Wimbledon, starting in 3/4 weeks so you don't have to wait long to see free to air tennis coverage!

yeah im excited.. and then the US open after that right?

edit: the masters series you're referring to is best 2/3 instead of 3/5?

Xun

True.

But even that is sometimes too much to handle. :p

Below the Slams the Masters series is the most prestigous tournament on the ATP tour. Series of I think 10 tournaments around the world spread throughout the year culminating in the Masters Finals that take place at the end of the year. The top 8 players in the world (going by if they won a slam then by rankings) compete.

I'm looking forward to it!

Hopefully Murray will do well, since he deserves it.

szaromir

Banned
Olympic Games this year messes up schedule so much. I like US Open series because they typically are the fastest hard court tournaments throughout the year. Sadly they slowed down US Open so much last year. :mad:

Diamond

There's the Davis Cup too, can be less interesting if your country isn't in the World Group (where the top teams are) but there are usually some great matches and you get to watch doubles with a lot at stake, which is a nice change of pace. Drawback : you don't see Roger (not totally invested) and Andy (Britain isn't in the World Group) very often.

lucius

Anyone know if they released HD versions of Wimbledon 08 & 09 finals, Amazon has the dvd's of them but it I guess there is no HD or Blu-ray of those anywhere?

Anyone know if they released HD versions of Wimbledon 08 & 09 finals, Amazon has the dvd's of them but it I guess there is no HD or Blu-ray of those anywhere?

Incidentally, I'm currently uploading a BBC HD version of the 2008 final (around 14 GB) to Youtube. 3316 minutes to go though. :(

Bigfoot

That is pretty weird, could he have been trying to signal it was out.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he was just using a signal to confrm the call since the crowd was so loud. Watching that last point on youtube, it is hard to tell for sure it it was really out. Did Murray have no challenges left?

MIMIC

Banned
they only play Bo3 and she plays with another great player and multiple slam winner against gals that only play doubles because they are not good enough for singles.

she's great but those double titles are basically free. if the men would play Bo3 and Roger teamed up with Rafa they would win the doubles GS every year.

Djokovic and Nadal teamed up once and lost to a pair of nobodies. Additionally, Federer teamed up with Wawrinka and lost against Malisse/Dolgopolov.

Singles is not the same thing as doubles and you can't just jump in and dominate. The Williams Sisters are simply gifted in both.

Djokovic and Nadal teamed up once and lost to a pair of nobodies. Additionally, Federer teamed up with Wawrinka and lost against Malisse/Dolgopolov.

Singles is not the same thing as doubles and you can't just jump in and dominate. The Williams Sisters are simply gifted in both.

they did it just for fun though. if they really wanted to win and practice just a bit to get a feeling for how to play together they would win everything.

case in point: roger won the olympics with stan.

Bigfoot

It wasn't a pair of nobodies! It was Raonic and another Canadian (Pospisil).

Fed and Wawrinka did win the doubles gold last Olympics taking down some of the top teams on the way.

The thing is most singles players only play doubles for something fun to do and for practice. I'm sure if most of the top players put some effort in to practicing doubles and working as a team, they would destroy most of the doubles only teams (sort of like the Williams sisters do).

As I was trying to sleep last night, I tried to tie a music genre to each slam. Here's what I settled on:

Australian Open: Pop
French Open: Country Western
Wimbledon: Classical
US Open: Rock and roll

MIMIC

Banned
they did it just for fun though. if they really wanted to win and practice just a bit to get a feeling for how to play together they would win everything

case in point: roger won the olympics with stan.

You didn't say anything about "practicing" before; you just said get together, and they'd dominate. Doubles is more than just "practicing" since it's a TEAM effort. It takes talent, practice AND chemistry.

Did LeBron, Wade and Bosh win their first time around? No, because they lacked chemistry. Is it a coincidence that the Bryan Bros, another pair of siblings, are the greatest doubles team in tennis history?

Yeah Stan and Federer have won the Olympics....but Serena and Venus have done it TWICE. There is no way Fed and Nadal could ever be as successful as Venus and Serena. Doubles and singles are two different things....and Venus and Serena can do both.

It wasn't a pair of nobodies! It was Raonic and another Canadian (Pospisil).

I meant nobodies in terms of singles.

You didn't say anything about "practicing" before; you just said get together, and they'd dominate. Doubles is more than just "practicing" since it's a TEAM effort. It takes talent, practice AND chemistry.

Did LeBron, Wade and Bosh win their first time around? No, because they lacked chemistry. Is it a coincidence that the Bryan Bros, another pair of siblings, are the greatest doubles team in tennis history?

Yeah Stan and Federer have won the Olympics....but Serena and Venus have done it TWICE. There is no way Fed and Nadal could ever be as successful as Venus and Serena. Doubles and singles are two different things....and Venus and Serena can do both.

I meant nobodies in terms of singles.

No federer and Mowgli would dominate the atp doubles. Mowgli and Lopez who is a futures player win tournaments. don't let that pride tint your glasses too dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom