• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships Wimbledon, 2016 |OT| Brexit at Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
These threads are so much quieter without all the Djokovic/Federer fans.

In other words no one cares about this final. Other than Brits and Canadians, while Federer/Nadal/Djokovic transcend their nationalities. That's hardly surprising.

Hazzuh

Issue for tennis in the next few years is that no one really has the star power of Federer or Nadal. Even Djokovic doesn't really.

jett

D-Member
These threads are so much quieter without all the Djokovic/Federer fans.

I wonder what'll happen with Tennis in terms of ratings and stuff when the big ol' three retire. Nadal's already on his way out and Federer probably doesn't have much time left. Djoko will be left all alone for a few years. Not a single other player, young or old, approaches their popularity.

leng jai

No one really cares about Djokovic outside of Serbia and glory hunters. If he had Murray's results he'd be less popular than him.

Hazzuh

I can imagine some execs are hoping Kyrgios starts getting to slam finals soon. He isn't necessarily likeable but he'd generate headlines.

leng jai

Are you joking? He's the number one tennis player in the world. The guy oozes star quality.

Cmon Andy!!

You're a little delusional if you think he has anywhere near the popularity or Federer/Nadal even after winning everything under the sun for the last 18 months.

Faddy

Banned
You're a little delusional if you think he has anywhere near the popularity or Federer/Nadal even after winning everything under the sun for the last 18 months.

Their star power was fuelled by Nike promotion not anything to do with their quality or ability as tennis players.

See Maria Sharapova.

leng jai

Their star power was fuelled by Nike promotion not anything to do with their quality or ability as tennis players.

See Maria Sharapova.

They're just infinitely more marketable, you can't create popularity out of nothing.

Federer's popularity (apart from his results) comes from his persona of being seen as "classy" and "elegant and by the fact that he plays a style of game that appeals to purists.

Nadal is seen as the "ultimate fighter" and plays gladiatorial tennis which appeals to the casuals. At his peak he had an intensity that we've never seen before.

Djokovic just comes across as try hard and arrogant. There's a lack of sincerity to his antics. Not to mention his numerous injury shenanigans early on put a lot of people off. His game is also rather bland to most people - incredible defense isn't exactly appreciated by casual fans compared to Federer's attack and Nadal's ridiculous on the run winners.

Scotch

See Maria Sharapova.
Bullshit. Their star power was fueled by eachother, and the fact that for a couple of years, every slam final was Federer vs Nadal.

Go watch this, and then tell me a Djokovic or Murray game excites you the same: https://youtu.be/-1yfWb0-jqQ

Hedrush

If you think Nadal is more popular than Djokovic then your the delusional one. What has Nadal achieved in the last 3 years, nothing. Djokovic is by far the most popular tennis star after Federer.

Ricker

This is the set Raonic needs to still have a chance..if it goes 2 0 for Murray,thats it...Raonic came back from being two down against Goffin but this is Murray,in the final,with the crowd behind him and all...no way Raonic can repeat.

He is OK when he gets to the net but he doesn't really know how to approach very well vs Murray. It is nice to see though.

Yeah, not saying hes the best at it, but hes doing a decent job with it.

I just love seeing a good ole serve and volley. It's a big change from someone like Nadal who ends up playing 10m behind the line all the time, haha.

Hazzuh

Yeah, not saying hes the best at it, but hes doing a decent job with it.

I just love seeing a good ole serve and volley. It's a big change from someone like Nadal who ends up playing 10m behind the line all the time, haha.

Yeah, I love it too. Nothing like a baseline vs good serve and volley. All the recent Djokovic / Murray finals have been snoozefests IMO lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom