• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Incredible match. Until the middle of the fantastic fifth, it looked like a lot of their close encounters before, with Roger having multiple break points and Rafa playing unbelievably well on them. Then something turned and Roger really seemed to relax and, for once, Rafa couldn't adjust his level of play like he has done so many times.Another difference from past matches was Federer's backhand, very solid and brought him a lot of winners, which maybe indicated Rafa wasn't able to play as high and deep as usual on this side.

In any case, these are two great champions, and total class acts, as opposed to many of their supporters on internet. Great speeches at the end, they both know what the other is feeling and they respect what it took to be in this final.

This Australian Open will probably be one of my favourites slams this decade, it was an absolute treat to watch from beginning to end. It's fitting that the conclusion was so epic.

Dude just missed 6 months and is not getting younger. I think he's just being realistic. Every single interview he dismissed it and said he still loves it and i can't see this changing his mind.

It's getting closer and closer. Only he knows just how much toll it's taking on his body, plus he has a family now, and maybe doesn't want to keep travelling. However, the guy is such a competitor, in his head you know he'll be looking at his track record in slams and knows he still has the game to get into QF's and SF's with relative ease.

I don't get people. This is probably the last time we will ever see a Nadal-Fed final and maybe the last time they play each other at this high level and people are sleeping and turning off the TV WTF.

This was HISTORY mothafuckas....

10 but it will climb fast. He has no points to defend really between now and Wimbledon and then again no points after Wimbledon. His 10 ranking is almost exclusively from this win and his SF finish at Wimbledon last year.

Rafa goes to 6 too. Though I think everyone knew they were both under-ranked coming in.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

10 but it will climb fast. He has no points to defend really between now and Wimbledon and then again no points after Wimbledon. His 10 ranking is almost exclusively from this win and his SF finish at Wimbledon last year.

Nice, thanks. And yeah for sure, should climb quickly.

Incredible match. Until the middle of the fantastic fifth, it looked like a lot of their close encounters before, with Roger having multiple break points and Rafa playing unbelievably well on them. Then something turned and Roger really seemed to relax and, for once, Rafa couldn't adjust his level of play like he has done so many times.Another difference from past matches was Federer's backhand, very solid and brought him a lot of winners, which maybe indicated Rafa wasn't able to play as high and deep as usual on this side.

In any case, these are two great champions, and total class acts, as opposed to many of their supporters on internet. Great speeches at the end, they both know what the other is feeling and they respect what it took to be in this final.

This Australian Open will probably be one of my favourites slams this decade, it was an absolute treat to watch from beginning to end. It's fitting that the conclusion was so epic.

We got Federer-Nadal and Williams sisters finals in 2017. It's unreal.

JBwB

The

goat1.jpg

I don't get people. This is probably the last time we will ever see a Nadal-Fed final and maybe the last time they play each other at this high level and people are sleeping and turning off the TV WTF.

This was HISTORY mothafuckas....

I think people get too invested in their favourite player, to the point that they can't watch when they're losing. To those Fed fans that didn't give up and kept their TV, this must have been the most incredible moment. I know in 2008, I was dripping with sweat and almost shaking when Rafa was so close to that win, but only 2 points only from defeat at one point. Nowadays, I'm more into seeing a good match than seeing my favourite rack up slams. And that's what we got today.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Member when Srdjan Djokovic said: The thing I do not understand is why Federer is still playing? He is already 34 years old?

lucius

I fell asleep so I only really saw the end of the 5th set, wow can't believe it. I need to watch the whole Match wonder if ESPN will replay it .

MIMIC

Banned
SportsCenter talking about the "hope to see you next year, if not...." comment.

I noticed that, too. Was very odd. Clearly a reference to possible retirement (whether he actually retires or not)

Toxicity levels dissolving both sites into an abyss hopefully.

They're generally not THAT bad, lol, and there's certain pleasure to be had to see Fed shuts down all of his trollers in there, hahaha.

I admit I gave up after Nadal broke him on the early fifth set. Too painful, I couldn't manage to continue.

But Fed defied all expectations and won... Against Nadal coming from a break down... Unbelievable.

Member when Srdjan Djokovic said: The thing I do not understand is why Federer is still playing? He is already 34 years old?

Wow! He really said that. What a tit. Another reason to add to the list of why I view Djokovic with mostly indifference and have never enjoyed his matches. I, mean, an incredible player who took the game to another level. I've just found him a difficult guy to route for.

Smellycat

I noticed that, too. Was very odd. Clearly a reference to possible retirement (whether he actually retires or not)

Did you see his schedule? He is taking this comeback tournament by tournament

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Incredible. If anyone missed it, watch it. Turning back time here.

Problem is that he missed the second half and this won't help him much in the first. He should climb quickly post wimby which is basically useless unless he plans on playing next season too.

True, but I think his comments about possibly not being here next year is just him being cautious because of dealing with injuries last year. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but that's how I took it.

dude just missed 6 months.
and had a leg thing all tournament, he's well aware that he might be forced to retire.
he has dismissed all retirement comments in every interview so far.

True, but I think his comments about possibly not being here next year is just him being cautious because of dealing with injuries last year. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but that's how I took it.

i agree. i can see him being on the tour for another 2 years if his body keeps up. dude just loves playing tennis, this should be clear by now.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Wow! He really said that. What a tit. Another reason to add to the list of why I view Djokovic with mostly indifference and have never enjoyed his matches. I, mean, an incredible player who took the game to another level. I've just found him a difficult guy to route for.
I like the guy but cant stand people in his box. I really hope Rafa wins 1 or 2 more GS so Djoker cant reach him

That was a fantastic match and an incredibly satisfying result. Very happy that Federer was able to win his 18th. This is easily one of his most impressive slam runs.

Kensuke

Pretty much perfect Grand Slam. It had the narratives, the drama and eventually the hype. It's going to be impossible for other tennis tournaments to top this highlight this year. Man, tennis has been great recently after a slow start in 2016. Wawrinka's run at USO, a new #1 and now this epic tournament. Great times for fans.

I mean if he does awfully this year or he stops enjoying it , there's nothing keeping him. He's got an incredible legend , a mountain of money (and even if he didn't he'll have endorsement deals until he's in the ground likely).

full quote.

He showed himself to be the best player in the world but not as a good person at that time,” Srdjan says of Federer. “Nobody has ever treated Novak like this. I don’t understand why Federer is still playing tennis. I don’t know why he’s still playing—he’s already 34

he might be the only one that thinks Federer was an ass on the entire tour :p

mcfrank

Problem is that he missed the second half and this won't help him much in the first. He should climb quickly post wimby which is basically useless unless he plans on playing next season too.

Nah- he has 0 points from indian wells, Miami, Madrid and Roland Garros. He has 270 points from Rome and Monte Carlo

He will climb fast even before Wimbledon.

In his head, you know he has to be thinking that he can never top this moment at the Australian. He could be back next year or, 'if not', to quote the great man, then he won his last Aussie title beating his greatest rival in a thrilling five set match. The script is finished, it doesn't get any better than that for Roger Federer. Do we need another Lord Of The Rings style one-epilogue-too-many to blur the clarity of that moment?

Nah- he has 0 points from indian wells, Miami, Madrid and Roland Garros. He has 270 points from Rome and Monte Carlo

He will climb fast even before Wimbledon.

i can't see him picking up many points on clay, if he attends at all.
probably should just take another 6 months of for Wimby lol.

JBwB

I watched every single Federer match. The stress was ridiculous towards the latter half of the draw haha.

Such an amazing final... Such an amazing tournament.

NID

The match was so goddamn stressful. I'm conflicted between delight for Federer, sadness for Nadal, and then back around to being happy for Federer. Amazing match between two legends, god-freakin-damn.

Mortemis

Banned
The match was so goddamn stressful. I'm conflicted between delight for Federer, sadness for Nadal, and then back around to being happy for Federer. Amazing match between two legends, god-freakin-damn.

I'm about the same, just stuck on feeling sadness for Nadal. Hard to sleep after such a match.

I teared up when Nadal and Federer spoke about each other. Such a great friendship: Federer saying how he wishes he could share the trophy with Nadal and Nadal supporting Federer's comeback.

And it's back to XCOM 2. Sorry for getting you killed in XCOM:EW, Rafa. We had about three missions together and then you died. Roger lived a bit longer, but not much.

I teared up when Nadal and Federer spoke about each other. Such a great friendship: Federer saying how he wishes he could share the trophy with Nadal and Nadal supporting Federer's comeback.

I liked that narrative about Federer going down to Nadal's academy to help him and them being too injured to do anything other than hit a few balls with kids. It's a sporting story of When We Were Kings levels of greatness in terms of overall narrative.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They're generally not THAT bad, lol, and there's certain pleasure to be had to see Fed shuts down all of his trollers in there, hahaha.

I admit I gave up after Nadal broke him on the early fifth set. Too painful, I couldn't manage to continue.

But Fed defied all expectations and won... Against Nadal coming from a break down... Unbelievable.

Look at it this way. Maybe when you switched the TV off, you unjinxed him. Butterfly effect and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom