• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

Diamond

dS5hYjR.jpg

Once again, the official worst slam of the year begins. Prepare yourselves.

Official site : http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/
Draws : http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/draws/index.html
Live Scores : http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/scores/index.html

Past Winners

Women

2007 Justine Henin (BEL)
2008 Ana Ivanovic (SER)
2009 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
2010 F. Schiavone (ITA)
2011 Na Li (CHN)
2012 Maria Sharapova (RUS)
2013 Serena Williams (USA)
2014 Maria Sharapova (RUS)
2015 Serena Williams (USA)
2016 Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP)

Men

Weather :

Prêts ? Jouez !

Ricker

Thanks and yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,first Grand Slam victory for Francoise Abanda, the 20 year old from Montreal defeats Andrianjafitrimo 6-3, 6-4 :)

Diamond

Why worst slam ?

It's pretty much a meme at this point : the audience is always criticized (sometimes rightfully), the stadium is old and parisians didn't allow the federation to modernize and expand it for years, clay is boring, etc. Don't take it too seriously though! Personally I'm going there this year and hope it's fun. :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
US Open is clearly worse than RG, this thread is fake news.

jett

D-Member
Salty Federer fans delcare it the worst slam.

Personally it's the Australian Open I give the least fucks about for some reason, but I don't consider any slam to be bad.

scarlet

It's 2017, and RG still has no proper lighting for night session, hence the worst slam. And let's not talk about the crowd.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
we're fortunate that nadal and djokovic are on the same side of the draw, so at least we avoided that horrendous final. however, it's too much to hope for a saviour to prevent one of them winning.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
roger finally wised up and realised that dirt is for the pigs. should not have played a single clay court match after winning the french in 2009.

Ricker

Mladenovic,who is one of the favorite in the wide open Women draw,may go down to Jennifer Brady in an upset...she is down 0-3 in the third set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Mladenovic,who is one of the favorite in the wide open Women draw,may go down to Jennifer Brady in an upset...she is down 0-3 in the third set.

Think she's dealing with something. I caught some of the first set and she could barely get a serve in. Something like 15-20%

Smellycat

I just don't like the French Open as much as other slams, and not because Nadal dominates it. It has some great moments from time to time, but it is just too slow.

This is the most NID slam in the last few years. they should hand Nadal the trophy. There is no way he is losing this

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's looking perilously like a formr RG finalist is going to go in R1 to Donald Young...

Ferrer's retirement coming up any day now, methinks. Shame - I enjoyed watching him, terribly underrated player.

Speevy

Banned
It's looking perilously like a formr RG finalist is going to go in R1 to Donald Young...

Ferrer's retirement coming up any day now, methinks. Shame - I enjoyed watching him, terribly underrated player.

David Ferrer's tenacity and solid play were never backed up with a weapon that could hurt his opponents.

Salty Federer fans delcare it the worst slam.

Personally it's the Australian Open I give the least fucks about for some reason, but I don't consider any slam to be bad.

Damn, never heard that one about the AusOpen before. The French suck, so does the Open. Trollolol.

I force my son to learn and train on clay as it's pull-the-stat-out-of-my-ass 50% of courts down here in Aus during Junior/Senior/Pennant comp. As for the French Open being ridiculed it's down to poor seating design, worse "creative" tv directing/editing, crappy camera FOV on outside courts and hilariously poor attendance at any stage throughout the tournament. All that without even mentioning the monotonous rallies due to the clay surface. There's no life to the tourney and little atmosphere by comparison to the other 3 slams.

Personally I can't stand clay, I've never understood playing on an unstable surface for a game like tennis. The design of the court with line straps etc is just ancient and cheap.

Mimosa97

It's pretty much a meme at this point : the audience is always criticized (sometimes rightfully), the stadium is old and parisians didn't allow the federation to modernize and expand it for years, clay is boring, etc. Don't take it too seriously though! Personally I'm going there this year and hope it's fun. :)

Well worst doesnt mean its bad lol...but the crowd for one at times can get rowdy and clay with no hawkeye is too old school for some I guess... ***shrugs***

Oh yeah i am french and was born in paris and i agree that the parisian crowds are some of the worst in the world. I feel ashamed sometimes ... But i thought you were talking about the lack of prestige. Roland garros is probably the most pregious slam after wimbledon.

And yeah the french fed of tennis is full of old useless cunts.

ShyGuy

Apparently Madrid tried to steal the Grand Slam status from Roland Garros 7 years ago.

I wonder how that would've panned out.

Nadal winning 20 Grand Slams because home 'slam'?

Diamond

Oh yeah i am french and was born in paris and i agree that the parisian crowds are some of the worst in the world. I feel ashamed sometimes ... But i thought you were talking about the lack of prestige. Roland garros is probably the most pregious slam after wimbledon.

And yeah the french fed of tennis is full of old useless cunts.

I kept reading that it was the worst slam everywhere these last few days so thought it would be funny to put that in the title. Like the rest of the OT it's tongue-in-cheek, even if I think quite a lot of things could be handled better by the people in charge of the event. Hopefully this edition proves everybody wrong! :)

kch

Kyrgios arguing with the umpire again.

Kyrgios gonna Kyrgios. He's still going on about that ball, just won't let it go..so salty. Really hard to ever cheer for him despite his tennis being so so good at times. I guess it's fun in a way that he creates so much drama.

Ricker

Konta out,defeated by Hsieh Su-Wei...she laid some amazing two handed drop shots lol...weird style but smart player and it paid off.

Top Bottom