• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

milanbaros

Member?
Roger Federer has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He will be more admired in 50 years than Djokovic and Nadal could ever dream.

Honestly, I find the tennis Fed plays to be almost an art. It made me consider tennis the ultimate sport. Despite that, Djokovic is the GOAT. Murray is incredible, truly amazing , but there has never been a player like Novak when it comes to winning.

The Djokovic Federer head to head is 18-19 so not huge and considering they had 8(!) meetings last year when federer was 34(!) i wouldn't sweat it too much. let's see old man Djoko hang around in the top 3 for the next 6 years.

funny that retiring 2 years ago would make federer look better even though he's still top 3 at 35.

zero_suit

Honestly, I find the tennis Fed plays to be almost an art. It made me consider tennis the ultimate sport. Despite that, Djokovic is the GOAT. Murray is incredible, truly amazing , but there has never been a player like Novak when it comes to winning.

???

His GS finals record isn't that great.

Djokovic was under pressure after a tough first set, and then he played unbelievably well until *5-2 in the fourth. Now that he's done the Nole Slam you start to think... could he win five in a row? Could he win 17? Nothing seems impossible.

People said the same thing about Federer. Age takes everyone. And Djokovic has achieved most of his dreams. If he gets that gold at the Olympics, there isn't much left to motivate. Not to mention up and coming players who have studied Djokovic and will only get better as Djokovic gets worse. It's hard to have any better year than he has accomplished. The only place is down. But it's not such a bad thing, the guy has incredible accomplishments. He is a living legend.

clemenx

Banned

Yep. I'm almost sure now that Djokovic will pass him in numbers but he sure as hell never have people writing articles about him being a religious experience.

Yep. I'm almost sure now that Djokovic will pass him in numbers but he sure as hell never have people writing articles about him being a religious experience.

i think he can for sure but i'm not going to bet my house on it, tennis is fickle, he could easily slow down next year and be stuck at 14-15 like Nadal. he'll be 30 too.
we thought Nadal would be at 20 right now.

Good thing for Djok is that none of the younger one's looks ready to take over, maybe Murray will step up.

Nadal only slowed down because his injuries caught up with him due to his reckless playing style. Djokovic plays much safer so I doubt he will slow down anytime soon barring a horrific accident.

Speevy

Banned
Sure, if that helps you sleep better at night.

It doesn't help me anything at night. He single-handedly raised the level of tennis in the modern era. He did it first, he did it quicker, and the fact that he remains so high in the rankings is just unbelievable.

Roger Federer has etched his name so deep into the history books that they'll name this 20 year period in tennis after him.

The Federer era.

The greatest athletes can make their mark in the stat sheets, but when you become a symbol of something, that's the grand prize.

He's pretty close to Federer and improving...

Federer has 17-10 record in GS finals (63%) and Djokovic 12-8 (60%), and that's despite Djokovic facing much harder competition in his career overall.

Federer's record is already screwed by older age slam finals, Djoks could be too if he still makes finals at 33-34.
i guess longevity counts for nothing eh?

i think he can for sure but i'm not going to bet my house on it, tennis is fickle, he could easily slow down next year and be stuck at 14-15 like Nadal. he'll be 30 too.
we thought Nadal would be at 20 right now.

Good thing for Djok is that none of the younger one's looks ready to take over, maybe Murray will step up.

Nadal has always been injury-prone though. Djokovic doesn't seem to be having that issue.

He's still favourite to take the last two GS and the Gold this year.

2011 was probably the single best year a tennis player's ever had, this could be topped by 2016.

He's still favourite to take the last two GS and the Gold this year.

2011 was probably the single best year a tennis player's ever had, this could be topped by 2016.

we'll see if any of the strong people show up to challenge him, where are they thou?
not a single guy under 28 is a real threat for a slam.

valkyre

It doesn't help me anything at night. He single-handedly raised the level of tennis in the modern era. He did it first, he did it quicker, and the fact that he remains so high in the rankings is just unbelievable.

Roger Federer has etched his name so deep into the history books that they'll name this 20 year period in tennis after him.

The Federer era.

The greatest athletes can make their mark in the stat sheets, but when you become a symbol of something, that's the grand prize.

Ofcourse and Federer marked his place in history... but calling Novak someone who will never be remembered shows nothing but spite, bias and disrespect...

So yeah, it kinda looks like what you are saying is just something to make you feel better.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations to Djokovic, a deserving champion and undoubtedly one of the greatest.

Andy needs to be 100% to beat the guy. No mistakes, no drops in concentration, and he just wasn't there for a huge chunk of that match today. I still believe he can get the other 2 slams though, before retiring having won everything at the top level of the game.

Federer had the GOAT sand player as his main rival, Djoko has an old man and a 2 slam wonder. #muchstrongerera

i'm not mad, i like Djoko but calling him the GOAT now is too early, let him get there first.

Kensuke

lol, the good old goat discussion straight after a slam. So predictable. All sides are wrong every single time. The comparisons are almost pointless.

usp84

Ofcourse and Federer marked his place in history... but calling Novak someone who will never be remembered shows nothing but spite, bias and disrespect...

So yeah, it kinda looks like what you are saying is just something to make you feel better.

Saying that Djokovic is the GOAT and some people just need to "deal with it" also shows disrespect against other players and the people who read your comment.Maybe you just wanted to feel better too?

Speevy

Banned

I said Roger will be more admired in 50 years than Novak. I didn't say Novak won't be remembered.

I think Novak Djokovic will be remembered as a classic example of an iron man athlete, someone who always seeks the toughest challenge and overcomes it with an absolutely inhuman display of pure athleticism. He's a fucking machine.

He will also (it looks like) break many of Roger's records, on top of those he's broken already.

What I'm saying is despite all that, Roger remains unmoved in what he has represented. That is quite something.

was a shit tournament once again, we can agree on that, would've been no matter the outcome.

#moveittogermany
#trustthegermans
#getaroofyousillyfrenchies

see y'all in the Wimby thread

Kensuke

Yeah, this RG was really bad. Not a lot of quality matches imo, too many injuries, terrible weather, terrible crowd. Last year was a lot more entertaining with Djokovic vs. Nadal and Wawrinka's incredible run. Even the Murray-Djokovic semi was a lot better. Let's hope Wimbledon and the Olympics bring some much needed excitement.

milanbaros

Member?
I think it is true that the tennis Fed has played is the greatest of all time. It transformed the sport to an art and I would argue the best sport.

But if you were to ask me who would win: peak fed vs peak Novak,I would say Novak.

Nadal only slowed down because his injuries caught up with him due to his reckless playing style. Djokovic plays much safer so I doubt he will slow down anytime soon barring a horrific accident.

Yes, but your knees change an incredible amount from your late 20s to early 30s. I don't play sports at all, but in the past year of being 30, I can tell my knees aren't the same as they were even a year ago.

You can look at Federer too. Not much injuries but he certainly slowed down around this time.

Basically, once you hit 30, you can't depend on anything and have really change your game up. Federer was able to. I suspect Djokovic will be able too, but only time will tell.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
was a shit tournament once again, we can agree on that, would've been no matter the outcome.

#moveittogermany
#trustthegermans
#getaroofyousillyfrenchies

see y'all in the Wimby thread

Yup, really embarrassing that they had to force so many players to play consecutive days.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
There's a general tennis thread too for those of you that don't post there normally and are interested: here

Diamond

lol, the good old goat discussion straight after a slam. So predictable. All sides are wrong every single time. The comparisons are almost pointless.

Yup. Zero analysis of the tournament, and countless "no competition" arguments from both sides. A joy to read, thanks everybody.

Congrats Novak.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic was under pressure after a tough first set, and then he played unbelievably well until *5-2 in the fourth. Now that he's done the Nole Slam you start to think... could he win five in a row? Could he win 17? Nothing seems impossible.

We shall see. He's the favorite for every tournament he has entered, but now the target on his back will be even bigger, now that he has done something that hasn't been done since 1969.

Fortunately for him, I think this'll free him up a bit and he won't play as tight anymore (unless he close to the CYGS)

And I do want to say this was the worst Grand Slam I've ever watched in my life. If it wasn't for Muguruza/Serena and Djokovic completing the NCYGS it would have nothing (Murray/Wawrinka was probably it's best men's singles match from the Ro16 onward, which is saying something. Goffin/Thiem had the best set.) Actually the doubles tournaments all had enjoyable finals with emotional/dramatic runs and winners, so there's that.

Time for a real Slam.

oti

Banned
And I do want to say this was the worst Grand Slam I've ever watched in my life. If it wasn't for Muguruza/Serena and Djokovic completing the NCYGS it would have nothing (Murray/Wawrinka was probably it's best men's singles match from the Ro16 onward, which is saying something. Goffin/Thiem had the best set.) Actually the doubles tournaments all had enjoyable finals with emotional/dramatic runs and winners, so there's that.

Time for a real Slam.

Yeah. The winners both deserved it but holy dhit was this tournament bad overall.

I would even go as far and say that if all tournaments were like this I'd stop watching tennis or caring as much ad I do today.

Diamond

Time for a real Slam.

Doubles were great yeah but the singles weren't really that interesting. A Nadal and a Federer here or there would have added a little bit of spice. Hope for a more eventful Wimbledon.

We shall see. He's the favorite for every tournament he has entered, but now the target on his back will be even bigger, now that he has done something that hasn't been done since 1969.

Fortunately for him, I think this'll free him up a bit and he won't play as tight anymore (unless he close to the CYGS)
What did he do that hasn't been done that long?

MIMIC

Banned
What did he do that hasn't been done that long?

Hold all 4 majors at once (the "non-calendar year" grand slam, as most call it). On the women's side, Serena did it twice (the "Serena Slam") and Navratilova did it once.

Back to the GOAT discussion. Where does Djokovic rank now? Some say that this achievement puts him in par with Nadal (because all of the other things he has accomplished). I'm not as certain, though. 13 would do the trick, IMO.

Hold all 4 majors at once (the "non-calendar year" grand slam, as most call it). On the women's side, Serena did it twice (the "Serena Slam") and Navratilova did it once.

Back to the GOAT discussion. Where does Djokovic rank now? Some say that this achievement puts him in par with Nadal (because all of the other things he has accomplished). I'm not as certain, though. 13 would do the trick, IMO.

Djokovic still needs to win Cincinatti doesn't he?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I had to miss the last set and was hoping for a comeback. Still, congratulations to Djokovic.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why can't there be two GOATs?

gx3SeQ1.jpg

Novak is a machine. And now there doesn't seem to be a single person who can reliably give him a challenge.

Hope Federer is good by Wimbledon. Need something interesting.

I would love to see a golden calendar, if he can do it man...it'd be great for tennis. Look how much attention the spirit got cause of Serena last year.

MIMIC

Banned
I would love to see a golden calendar, if he can do it man...it'd be great for tennis. Look how much attention the spirit got cause of Serena last year.

Well it was great for tennis, but it fried Serena mentally, lol. Can't even win finals anymore.

Would be fun to see, nonetheless (although I don't really care that much about the Olympics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom