• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

Djokovic continuously breaks records, and today marks the day he reached were few have gone before. (not Federer nor Nadal)

He is the GOAT, and a lot of people need to just deal with it.

Bravo to this extraordinary athlete!

Great day for the sport.

oti

Banned
And the worst Grand Slam tournament ever comes to a close. Djokovic was the best. There's no denying that.

Fair play Djokovic, he does deserve it. Galling as a Murray fab though, can we please just get him in a GS final without Djokovic for once!?

Well played Djokovic! He produced his very best when it mattered. No shame in losing to one of the two all time greats.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year's Roland Garros final was a rematch.

Djokovic continuously breaks records, and today marks the day he reached were few have gone before. (not Federer nor Nadal)

He is the GOAT, and a lot of people need to just deal with it.

Bravo to this extraordinary athlete!

Great day for the sport.

I hate the GOAT talk. I've said it before, but it is so boring. Djokovic is one of the greats. Undeniable. But he still doesn't hold every record. And it's nearly impossible to compare him against other eras (like all players) And saying someone needs to deal with it is so childish. One day someone will exceed some record that Djokovic. Will you easily concede that player is better?

i need to see him winning 17 and having the longevity of Federer before i call it in his favour. Remember that soon to be 35 year old Federer still is a top 3 player, but yeah, just a weak era ey? Still 5 more to go.

but he certainly can do it. no doubt but Nadal was on his way and look what happened to him. It's a fickle business and people move on quickly.

Djokovic was under pressure after a tough first set, and then he played unbelievably well until *5-2 in the fourth. Now that he's done the Nole Slam you start to think... could he win five in a row? Could he win 17? Nothing seems impossible.

Prime Nalby, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick were actually pretty fucking good. I hate this argument. His only shit slam opponent was Baghdatis. Philippoussis too but that wasn't prime Fed yet.

Federer singlehandedly has made a whole generation being thought of as lesser players than they actually were. Think about that.

Nole will probably pass him but that argument is lazy.

Sorry, but the players in that list were good but not great, save perhaps for Hewitt, and most of it has nothing to do with Fed. Hewitt's prime was 2001-2002, which was before Prime Fed. Roddick was a uni-dimensional player and very weak mentally. Same for Safin.

And Nalby, Philippoussis and Baghdatis... lol

milanbaros

Member?
Djokovic is the greatest player to pick up a racquet. It isn't Murray fault. Well done Andy for becoming one of only 10 players to reach all 4 GS finals.

Has there ever been a sport where greatness was concentrated in such a period. The 3 greatest players of all time played in the same period.

Murray is an incredible player. Just not one of those 3.

Sorry, but the players in that list were good but not great, save perhaps for Hewitt, and most of it has nothing to do with Fed. Hewitt's prime was 2001-2002, which was before Prime Fed. Roddick was a uni-dimensional player and very weak mentally. Same for Safin.

Djokovic played 34 year old Federer in two GS finals last year, what does that say about his competition?

valkyre

Rod Laver?

I wasnt talking just about the 4 Slams in a row...

I am talking about his countless records broken throughout this season. He bested Nadal and Fed head to head, he won records Masters titles, he won record 16K points (now he will close to 17K) , winning every masters tournament out there...

need i go on?

Can't wait for that

tumblr_inline_mo743czWWo1qz4rgp.gif

Ironically, that 34-year-old is considered GOAT, but has a losing record against Djoker and Nadal.

because he's still playing at soon to be 35 so he'll lose against younger players more often, he played Nadal a lot on sand and it's a nightmare matchup for him.

clemenx

Banned

Right, then, who's Nole beating? Murray aaaaand?

Geriatric age Fed? Legless Nadal? Kei "I get injured every 2 tournaments" Nishikori? David Ferrer? Milos "lol what's a return game" Raonic?

This can be done against every player in every era.

MIMIC

Banned
Yay! ^_^

Kinda been busy today, but managed to see most of it. HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE relief for Novak. The biggest monkey in tennis has finally been lifted. It was seriously a matter of time.

So what are they gonna call this? The Djoker Slam? The Nole Slam? The Fucking Finally Slam?

Xun

Murray at his best can beat Djokovic, so it's just a shame we saw him peak so early on.

Glimmers of hope near the end though, I just wish we saw that earlier.

Carl2291

Djok showed why he's the best in the world. Dominant 2nd and 3rd sets against a player in fantastic clay form.

Really brilliant tennis to watch. Incredible athleticism.

Yay! ^_^

Kinda been busy today, but managed to see most of it. HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE relief for Novak. The biggest monkey in tennis has finally been lifted. It was seriously a matter of time.

So what are they gonna call this? The Djoker Slam? The Nole Slam? The Fucking Finally Slam?
The it's about damn time slam

Speevy

Banned
Ironically, that 34-year-old is considered GOAT, but has a losing record against Djoker and Nadal.

Roger Federer has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He will be more admired in 50 years than Djokovic and Nadal could ever dream.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yay! ^_^

Serena slam.

He had that losing record against Nadal way before his "old age." Nadal owns him 9-2 in finals.

i said that Nadal was a nightmare matchup and Nadal almost never faced him in his peak on surfaces other than Sand, it would've been more equal if they did.
even last year when Federer had a great year Nadal conveniently lost 4 times when Federer was next up on hard courts.

Fed made it to the finals on sand and nadal was a no show on any other surfaces until Federer slowed down there too, but he still made it into the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom