• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

miserable

now that the Djoker got his "1 bad match per GS" out of the way, nothing is gonna stop him winning this one. I think I'm gonna put some money down on it 'cause it's a safe bet.

Ricker

Bellis trying her best against Woz but I dont think she will beat her...this is a great chance for Wozniacki to win her first slam.

It got dark early lol,not sure they will finish this if it goes 3 sets.

EDIT: Well th rain did it lol,postponed,Bellis leading 5-2 in the second set.

Man, Djokovic, what happened? At his peak, the greatest player of all time. Right now? Aiesh.

I suspect whatever went wrong in his personal life after RG last year really knocked him for six and hindered his recovery from injury. He all but admitted it at last year's USO and Boris Becker implied his training intensity had fallen off a cliff after they split. If you'd said "I think Djokovic's Slam-winning days are over" right after he won the French for the first time, you'd have been mocked, but now it doesn't seem ridiculous at all. That said, I'd judge him on the summer hard courts, not clay and grass.

Murray and Delpo are playing - one of my favourite rivalries because they take so much punishment from one another with endless sets punishing, punishing points.

I'm exhausted after just watching that set. Was played at a consistently high level, except that Del Potro seemed to struggle to control his nerves when serving for it at 5-4 and again with the DF at (I think) 6-7 in the tie-break. Murray's back to back S&Vs at 3-4 and 4-4 were brave.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Edmund-Anderson is turning into a tense match. Not always of the best quality, but gripping. Big, big forehands everywhere, has to be one of the heaviest firepower matches I've seen in a while.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Edmunds insane bp defence finally fails on him.

He did really well, was a great performance from him. Anderson is severely underranked right now, he'll be back in the top 15 before too long.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
shame del potro couldn't hold after breaking back. would have been nice to see another tiebreak, and maybe delpo winning so it would be a more even match. don't think there's much left to see now.

He did really well, was a great performance from him. Anderson is severely underranked right now, he'll be back in the top 15 before too long.

Yeah he went away for a couple of years it seems like, still remember that day he destroyed Murray at the US open but he kind of fizzled out after that

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah he went away for a couple of years it seems like, still remember that day he destroyed Murray at the US open but he kind of fizzled out after that

Injury problems and then lack of match fitness.

Bagel'd!

That was much better than I could have expected as a Murray fan. Hopefully he keeps it up, he was playing at an insanely high level in those last 2 sets

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray played at the highest level I've seen from him in some time for that one.

...are the prophecies coming into line?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
djokovic is shockingly bad. him still being in this shows that the tour is in dire condition.

Granollers, Sousa, and Schwartzman aren't exactly titans of the game, to be fair.

Granollers, Sousa, and Schwartzman aren't exactly titans of the game, to be fair.

Schwartzman is some kind of titan to be as competitive as he is at 5'7. I want to see him play in person at least once. I mean, he's shorter than Angie Kerber.

And I think that whatever quotient you place "complete chaos" at the women's side now satisfies it: not a single former Slam champion left in the last 12 players, guaranteed new FO semi-finalists in 2 of 4 quarters, guaranteed new FO finalist in the top half. Some of these matches are going to be unbelievably intense - this is the chance of a lifetime. Can Halep handle the pressure?

Meanwhile Rafa is murdering fools like it's 2008. I wonder if there's the tiniest bit of Djokovic that really wouldn't mind Thiem playing the match of his life on Tuesday.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if nishikori or verdasco will play anything like this in the quarters then i don't think even this murray will have trouble making the semis. of course murray might even be playing better now, at least based on the scoreline of his match. didn't watch it though.

the prophecies...

Diamond

Was on the Philippe Chatrier yesterday. Matches weren't as close as I hoped but it's still incredible to see players yourself instead of watching TV. I think it gives you an even greater appreciation of the level they play at (even the guys who look like scrubs against the top 10).
Murray-Kachanov and Wawrinka-Monfils had really fun moments. Garcia winning was nice after Monfils went out. Unfortunately her side of the draw is much harder than Mladenovic's. Would be fun to have an all french final though...
Went to a few training sessions too, and it's so fun to see these guys strike from close.

Ricker

Was on the Philippe Chatrier yesterday. Matches weren't as close as I hoped but it's still incredible to see players yourself instead of watching TV. I think it gives you an even greater appreciation of the level they play at (even the guys who look like scrubs against the top 10).
Murray-Kachanov and Wawrinka-Monfils had really fun moments. Garcia winning was nice after Monfils went out. Unfortunately her side of the draw is much harder than Mladenovic's. Would be fun to have an all french final though...
Went to a few training sessions too, and it's so fun to see these guys strike from close.

Nice...I was watching Cornet/Garcia on TV and the atmosphere felt really strange in the crowd...like they didnt know who to cheer for or they where rooting for Cornet because they didnt like Garcia bailing out playing for France in the last Fed Cup...?

For the Quarters today,Ostapenko...? really ? get her out of there Woz.

And go Kiki. :p

Who wants to bet against Nadal and Djoko...thought so lol ;)

Although watching now the wind might mess things up big time...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Awesome, glad you had fun. I'd love to go to a slam someday (only been to the Cincinnati Masters a few times).

Diamond

Nice...I was watching Cornet/Garcia on TV and the atmosphere felt really strange in the crowd...like they didnt know who to cheer for or they where rooting for Cornet because they didnt like Garcia bailing out playing for France in the last Fed Cup...?

Being in the crowd it felt like Garcia had a little bit more supporters (I even heard people cursing at Cornet lol), but both were encouraged.
However the audience was clearly less enthusiastic than earlier. Maybe the fact they were both french didn't help, but it's also true that it was a really hot, sunny day (the stadium is fully exposed to the sun the whole day), so it felt like people were a little bit tired (my friends and I were) and disappointed Monfils didn't make it. Hence the strange atmosphere, maybe.

Awesome, glad you had fun. I'd love to go to a slam someday (only been to the Cincinnati Masters a few times).

If you have the opportunity, go, if you love tennis it's worth it.

azyless

So the winners of the two bottom quarters will be playing two days in a row? Is that how this will work?
For the women yeah. I think that's how it was always planned though, not related to the weather.
If you mean the men then I'm pretty sure the semis are on Friday.

if Timea wins this Switzerland could have three different players winning a GS singles title in a span of 9 month.

one would assume that only the US has done that before in the open era.

gatirosho

Neo Member
definition of luck: I bought tickets for one of the men's semifinal for the Madrid open this year
The semi finals: Djoko v Rafa / Cuevas v Thiem.
Guess what, I watched the Cuevas v Thiem match and I'm a huge Rafa fan, and he WON :mad:

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if Timea wins this Switzerland could have three different players winning a GS singles title in a span of 9 month.

one would assume that only the US has done that before in the open era.

pretty sure australia did it way back when, with laver, rosewall and newcombe playing on the men's tour and court and goolagong on the women's.

edit: and germany probably with graf, becker and stich.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
thiem with the early break, but still don't see him doing much here. djokovic just has to play decent and he will turn into an error machine.

edit: nadal won first set 6-2, only two holds of serve in the set. lol.

edit2: thiem actually takes the first set. only 3 points were won on serve in the tiebreak, lolol.

Top Bottom