• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2016 |OT| Clayray awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get all 4 GS finals with the same 2 players in all of them (and potentially the same result)? Looking forward to wimbledon and the US, never really enjoy the French open.

Speaking of Cincy, lol:

JHHCeAJ.png

They wanna be won by Novak, too!

Cinci occurs during the olympics and Novak is playing the olympics.* If Djokovic wants to get a Cinci title, he'll have to do it when he's in his 30's.

*unless tournament organizers allow Novak to get a late start. Cincy starts Aug 13. Gold medal match in Rio is Aug 14

Diamond

If Novak ever has a chance of achieving the Grand Slam, I hope he'll be a little bit more pushed on his way. Murray is good but Djokovic clearly has the upper hand now, and it's not a matter of surfaces like with prime Rafa against Roger. I mean, Novak played really well yesterday but I think we'll agree he didn't have to produce something extraordinary to win. For those finding fun just in the fact he wins at the end it's ok, but some people want to watch entertaining matches.

Diamond

I'd say the keyword is balance. He is one of the more complete players ever, he has virtually no weaknesses, except maybe in some specific cases at the net under pressure. He was always a good defender, in Rafa's style, but now he regularly manages to get the upper hand by being agressive and not relying as much on the other player mistakes. Even against players like Federer he's agressive. He'll never be a pure offensive player like Roger, but he doesn't make as much errors so it's a fair deal. He has an excellent physical condition, so he's a nightmare to play in long matches because he'll always have ups after downs, if he has any. He's not the more powerful or muscular guy out there but he has excellent timing and eye so his strokes are always efficient. He managed to build a strong confidence after a lot of difficult wins over Rafa, Roger and Murray, so nobody on tour scares him.

I know his supporters aren't going to like this but, to me, his current domination is also due to the fact his main opponents aren't as competitive anymore, and with the recent evolution of the game, young players take more time to mature.

IMO he's as good as Roger and Rafa.

oti

Banned
I'd say the keyword is balance. He is one of the more complete players ever, he has virtually no weaknesses, except maybe in some specific cases at the net under pressure. He was always a good defender, in Rafa's style, but now he regularly manages to get the upper hand by being agressive and not relying as much on the other player mistakes. Even against players like Federer he's agressive. He'll never be a pure offensive player like Roger, but he doesn't make as much errors so it's a fair deal. He has an excellent physical condition, so he's a nightmare to play in long matches because he'll always have ups after downs, if he has any. He's not the more powerful or muscular guy out there but he has excellent timing and eye so his strokes are always efficient. He managed to build a strong confidence after a lot of difficult wins over Rafa, Roger and Murray, so nobody on tour scares him.

I know his supporters aren't going to like this but, to me, his current domination is also due to the fact his main opponents aren't as competitive anymore, and with the recent evolution of the game, young players take more time to mature.

IMO he's as good as Roger and Rafa.

Djokovic biggest weakness might be his over-the-head shots lol.

He has dominated for a while, but if you look at the Top 4:

Nadal - His game is catching up to him. The game he plays must be hell for his knees and it starts to show. He also has problems with his confidence.
Murray - Still the weakest mental game out of the Top 4. He has all the weapons he needs but slow starts + self-mumbling at this stage of his career is just sad. Plus he's a father now so there are more important things.
Federer - Not consistent enough and his defence isn't as reliable as the Djoker's. He's still a genius and he's still having fun, but I don't think he's as competitive as he once was. Winning Singles Gold in Rio and maybe another Wimbledon must be his goals right now.

I think it's fair to say that Djokovic is the most determined of them to do ANYTHING it needs to be the best. And that's why he's the #1.

Diamond

Djokovic biggest weakness might be his over-the-head shots lol.

He has dominated for a while, but if you look at the Top 4:

Nadal - His game is catching up to him. The game he plays must be hell for his knees and it starts to show. He also has problems with his confidence.
Murray - Still the weakest mental game out of the Top 4. He has all the weapons he needs but slow starts + self-mumbling at this stage of his career is just sad. Plus he's a father now so there are more important things.
Federer - Not consistent enough and his defence isn't as reliable as the Djoker's. He's still a genius and he's still having fun, but I don't think he's as competitive as he once was. Winning Singles Gold in Rio and maybe another Wimbledon must be his goals right now.

I think it's fair to say that Djokovic is the most determined of them to do ANYTHING it needs to be the best. And that's why he's the #1.

Absolutely agree, Djokovic has to be praised for keeping his level that high for so long, and for the way he manages his career. But yeah, as you said, even with their immense palmares, his opponents aren't able to compete anymore. Nadal is the strongest of all mentally but his body starts to break down. Federer, despite his formidable form for his age, has lost a bit of his physical capabilities. He has an incredible serve but on the baseline rallies it shows, and against Novak you HAVE to be very good there. And Murray, to me, hasn't been the same since his win at Wimbledon. He had an injury and all that but the day he won, he lost that little something.

The question now is also : Is Djokovic himself capable of keeping his motivation, now that he has won everything ?

Xun

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but had Murray bounced back a game earlier I think he could've clinched the championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom