• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So much for the youth breakthrough, Zverev already down and out.

So much for the youth breakthrough, Zverev already down and out.

He really needs to improve that forehand. I think he hits it with too much spin. Also his movement, is not on the level of Kygrios.

The new gen is okay. At least, there is an actual new guard, even if not a single one of them seems to be of the big 4 quality. Not one player. The only thing that is going run the big 4 out of tennis is time.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
giant slayer querrey decided this tournament is not worth playing when nadal and djokovic are on the other side of the draw. rest well for wimbledon, champ.

Ricker

lol Genie is so bad right now they cut the feed to their match... ;)

Middle of the first set,she probably has 15 UE so far...blame it on the ankle I guess...

Maxime Hamou kicked out of French Open

Footage of the interview showed Hamou pulling Maly Thomas, the female journalist, close before kissing her on the side of the head. As Thomas looked embarrassed and tried to push him away, he kissed her again.

After answering a question he kissed her a third time, and pulled her towards him while she tried to peel his hand off her chest.

Source

Boogs31

French Open > US Open

No way. Clay is the worst surface to watch. It only benefits two types of players, defensive guys (Nadal) and dudes that can crush the ball (Wawrinka). Hard courts are the most balanced and any type of player can succeed. You get nothing but grinding, defensive points at the French.

The U.S. Open is also the only major that does it right by having a fifth set tiebreak.

The one negative about the U.S. Open is the crowd. Most Americans don't understand how to be classy spectators.

No way. Clay is the worst surface to watch. It only benefits two types of players, defensive guys (Nadal) and dudes that can crush the ball (Wawrinka). Hard courts are the most balanced and any type of player can succeed. You get nothing but grinding, defensive points at the French.

The U.S. Open is also the only major that does it right by having a fifth set tiebreak.

The one negative about the U.S. Open is the crowd. Most Americans don't understand how to be classy spectators.

How is a fifth set tie break a good thing when a lot of the time they come down to luck? How is that the best way of deciding a winner?

Boogs31

How is a fifth set tie break a good thing when a lot of the time they come down to luck? How is that the best way of deciding a winner?

In my opinion, if both players have won two sets and six games each (plus at least 4+ hours of match time), we should come to the conclusion that the players are evenly matched. Instead of forcing them to play for an endless amount of time when they're both likely exhausted, they should know where the finish line is. A back and forth Tiebreak is one of the most exciting things in tennis, and it's also safer for the players. Having two dudes play for three days is not only boring, but it's not fair to the athletes. I've also felt tiebreaks are the closest thing in tennis to a clutch situation. It's fun to see who plays the best when the pressure is on.

And if you want to talk about luck, having two guys exhausted, trying to see in the dark after 6 straight hours of playing brings a lot of luck into the equation.

Diamond

Maxime Hamou kicked out of French Open

Source

Rumor has it that he was drunk. Which doesn't excuse what he did of course.

I don't really agree with the idea that tie-breaks often come down to luck. You need some, but you still have complete control over what you're doing on the court. It's like penalties in football : you can lose or win quickly, but if you play well you still have better chances. It's not by chance that John Isner, to take an obvious example, wins a lot of tie-breaks, it's because he serves well, which gives him security and the opportunity to attack and gain one or two points on return, which is enough in a tie-break. It's a purely technical reason.

With that said, I also prefer no tie-break in the 5th set. The rule just gave us too much great matches to be in question. 5th set tie-break at the US has its sudden death kind of charm, but you'll never get an Isner-Mahut or a Roddick-El Aynaoui there.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Looks like Kyrgios is out. Was Kevin Anderson playing well, or was Nick bad? Seems like Kevin's been off for awhile.

Ricker

Damn the way its going on the women's side there'll only be qualifiers left in the end lol...Cibulkova,Keys,Kerber,Bouchard,Kvitova,Konta,Pavlyuchenkova,...all gone.

Looks like Kyrgios is out. Was Kevin Anderson playing well, or was Nick bad? Seems like Kevin's been off for awhile.

Kyrgios served 4 aces in a row in one game, first set. Then he went off the rails and broke two racquets to then lose. Mental game breakdown with all the talent in the world. Sad to see and he's clearly getting frustrated with himself. He needs a mental/life coach and a full time tennis coach too. Note his grandfather did just pass away. He also did jokingly ask for a beer mid match too.

There's only so many years natural talent is all you need, ethics and hard work need to take over for Nick and Nick has to want help with that.

azyless

Damn, Mladenovic was behind 5-2 in the 3rd set, she's now leading 7-6 and serving next. Not used to french players being so mentally strong lol.
Edit : she won :)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Kyrgios served 4 aces in a row in one game, first set. Then he went off the rails and broke two racquets to then lose. Mental game breakdown with all the talent in the world. Sad to see and he's clearly getting frustrated with himself. He needs a mental/life coach and a full time tennis coach too. Note his grandfather did just pass away. He also did jokingly ask for a beer mid match too.

There's only so many years natural talent is all you need, ethics and hard work need to take over for Nick and Nick has to want help with that.

Sounds like a typical mess, though I'm sure the personal loss didn't help much.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic-schwartzman looked like an interesting match based on the scoreline, but just when i started watching djokovic broke and will surely win the second set. bet it's going to be one way traffic now.

Ricker

Damn, Mladenovic was behind 5-2 in the 3rd set, she's now leading 7-6 and serving next. Not used to french players being so mentally strong lol.
Edit : she won :)

Shelby Rogers just crumbled it seems and with the crowd behind the french,it didnt help,good return nonetheless by KiKi.

Raonic moving on wooo!!!

Lkr

man...why is american coverage of this tournament so piss? you would think as a major tournament i could access court channels without paying extra by having Tennis Channel and NBC in my cable package...but no, I have to pay extra just to watch these online. can ESPN just not afford to have all 4 slams? does Tennis Channel like having the moniker of being the home of tennis but not showing any content? makes no sense to me

muteki

Yeah with PS Vue for the early rounds I'm stuck just listening to radio or watching incomplete replays.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Djokovic, what happened? At his peak, the greatest player of all time. Right now? Aiesh.

oti

Banned
Man, Djokovic, what happened? At his peak, the greatest player of all time. Right now? Aiesh.

vGO0DdEEHmrBu.webp

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Your image is broken. If you were going to say Federer, he never held all four slams or achieved an ELO peak as high Djoko. Better overall career, worse peak. If you were going to say Nadal, the exact same applies. If you were going to say Laver, then we might find some grounds of agreement.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
crab thinks tsonga's peak is higher than wawrinka's. i don't think he needs to be taken seriously here.

djokovic making quick work of the 4th set, don't think the argentine has what it takes to finish in the fifth. of course maybe it's for the best, as an inspired djokovic is probably the only chance nadal will have any competition this year.

unless.. of course... the prophecies...

Top Bottom