• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

milanbaros

Member?
So right he's the best British player, what was the point of stating that obvious fact? Him winning Wimbledon once is not deserving of such an accolade.

You have no idea. Murray is such a lock for knighthood after what he has achieved in the past 12 months as any who have received the accolade.

kharma45

I don't think you understand the value of winning Wimbledon in British Sport. 17 million people out of 62m, watched Murray lose last year's final. We don't have viewing figures, but if it were not same or higher I wouldn't be surprised.

Sir Bradley Wiggins won tour de france, and was knighted for services to sport. If Murray winning Wimbledon is not services to British Sport, I don't know what is. He'll get knighted for sure someday. Maybe this year, maybe ten twenty years, but he is getting knighted.

Wiggins also has four Olympic gold medals amongst countless other awards. Winning the Tour was not why he was Knighted, he has achieved much more relative to Murray. It is possible he could get a CBE but nothing more. He will only receive a Knighthood if be becomes a great, fucking might as well Knight Rory McIlroy at this stage too.

Do you have internets? Modern knights receive the honor for FAR less. It's practically guaranteed.

It is really not.

You have no idea. Murray is such a lock for knighthood after what he has achieved in the past 12 months as any who have received the accolade.

He will at best get a CBE in the 2014 honours.

Ashes

Banned
??

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here and how it relates to what I said?

Are you trying to say Novak was defensive because he moved Murray about and served and volleyed? None of your post makes sense, how can you play the long game by serving and volleying lol.

Anyway, I'm just glad Murray won, he deserved it, no matter who appeared to play defensive or aggressive.

I thought you implied Murray was being defensive today. I'll agree that Djokovic gave a lot of easy points. He made so many errors.

Serving and volleying, erego finishing points early, conserving energy, and also making Murray run a lot more for his points. He started slow too.

I thought he went into the game with the mindset of playing five sets in a very warm temperatures.

Even though thats probably unquestionably true, I still hold love for Sampras. He will always be my personal GOAT.

I think people forget how great Sampras was, particularly on grass. If you matched up Sampras versus Fed prime for prime I think it'd look something like this -

Clay/French Open - Fed dominates in straight sets ala Nadal over Fed in the 08 FO final

Hard/AO + US O - pick em........I give Fed an edge in Australia and I think they'd be dead even at the US Open. US Open is so fast I think Sampras would have won his fair share.

Grass/Wimbledon - Sampras all the way if it's <01 Wimbledon grass. Post 01' grass......I actually still would pick Sampras. To me he's the best grass court player I've ever seen. His second serve was sublime. And I think Sampras's god tier serve and volley game would trouble Fed. I know they played back in 01 and Fed won in 5....but Sampras was past his prime there so I dont think it's too instructive.

Im curious what Tennis GAF thinks actually in terms of Sampras vs. Fed on the different surfaces prime for prime. I'll also throw out that Sampras won a couple of those exhibitions with Fed if I remember.....yes I know exhibitions but still interesting nevertheless.

How much are you getting in that for an accumulator?

I should shouldn't I? The only one I'm not sure on is the SAF thing, cos I'm not sure there is a lifetime achievement award (EDIT - There is!). Possibility that Warren Gatland might get "coach of the year" but I'm not sure if that award can be given to foreigners...(EDIT - It can)

Happy for Andy Murray, also glad we dont have to put up with its X amount of years since it was won by a Brit the press/media goes on about. I dont ever get this British/Scottish thing, surely he is representing himself and himself only? He's not playing in the Davis cup or the Olympics so its a great win for him.

Ashes

Banned
Wiggins also has four Olympic gold medals amongst countless other awards. Winning the Tour was not why he was Knighted, he has achieved much more relative to Murray. It is possible he could get a CBE but nothing more. He will only receive a Knighthood if be becomes a great, fucking might as well Knight Rory McIlroy at this stage too.

The fact you place cycling and golf on a level similar to Wimbledon is kinda doing you a disservice.

You make half a point that Murray may not get it this year. But he will one day. Even if he gets a career ending injury tomorrow.

MIMIC

Banned
Happy for Andy Murray, also glad we dont have to put up with its X amount of years since it was won by a Brit the press/media goes on about. I dont ever get this British/Scottish thing, surely he is representing himself and himself only? He's not playing in the Davis cup or the Olympics so its a great win for him.

I guess it's just a way for a country to build themselves up. If an American male makes it to the U.S. Open final, he's gonna catch hell if he doesn't eventually win it.

Players don't win slams for their countries, but the respective countries will try and make it like they did.

defel

Get in Murray you beauty!!!

He should get a knighthood eventually but not until he retires. Never made sense to me that Bradley Wiggins got a knighthood given that he still races.

Anyway what an awesome win and fantastic atmosphere in London today :)

kharma45

No but the media will find a new way to make sporting events with UK favourites insufferable. Happened with WC 2007, still happening with 1966...

The fact you place cycling and golf on a level similar to Wimbledon is kinda doing you a disservice.

You make half a point that Murray may not get it this year. But he will one day. Even if he gets a career ending injury tomorrow.

How so?

Also if he never played again he would get a Knighthood :lololol give me a fucking break.

krYlon

I thought you implied Murray was being defensive today. I'll agree that Djokovic gave a lot of easy points. He made so many errors.

Serving and volleying, erego finishing points early, conserving energy, and also making Murray run a lot more for his points. He started slow too.

I thought he went into the game with the mindset of playing five sets in a very warm temperatures.

I thought Murray was pretty conservative. I don't think he was "pushing", that's nonsense, but I have seen him be more aggressive that's for sure. Especially since Lendl took over.

Usually serving and volleying and moving people around (ie dictating points) is seen as aggressive. You are controlling the points. Defensive is usually standing way behind the baseline and trying to keep the rally going.

Ashes

Banned

In British sport, with some exceptions, most sports are undivided concerning Britain. England/Scotland/Wales all mean the same thing in any Olympic sport.

Cricket, football and rugby are the notable exceptions to this rule.

Ashes

Banned
I thought Murray was pretty conservative. I don't think he was "pushing", that's nonsense, but I have seen him be more aggressive that's for sure. Especially since Lendl took over.

Usually serving and volleying and moving people around (ie dictating points) is seen as aggressive. You are controlling the points. Defensive is usually standing way behind the baseline and trying to keep the rally going.

Agreed, though my point about serving and volleying was related to a larger point about the match, and not individual points. Djokovic isn't a serve and volley type player, it was a deliberate tactic, and I don't think it was be agressive; if he wanted to be more agressive, he could have a hit a lot more winners.

e.g Djokovic was being agressive against del potro, not only hitting the corners, but hitting the ball phenomenally hard. Against Murray, it was well inside of the line, slower on average, and seemed like a deliberate tactic, moving side to side, and drop shots etc.

Honestly, I agree with you, but I think, Djokovic got let down with his tactics.

caramac

i06G10M9Nwyvs.gif

pulsemyne

It is really not.

He will at best get a CBE in the 2014 honours.

He's won two grand slams now. He's a sir and no mistake. Wimbledon means a huge amount. It's been 77 years since a brit last won it.

Acorn

Because Wimbledon is a bigger sport than cycling or golf in Britain. By a big margin.

Golf is probably played by more people than Tennis in the UK. 90% Of places have a golf club not really a great deal of tennis courts here anyway.

But popularity, yes I'd agree.

kharma45

Because Wimbledon is a bigger sport than cycling or golf in Britain. By a big margin.

Cycling yes but not golf. You underestimate its popularity.

Even if tennis was the biggest sport in the world, he still hasn't done enough. He is no tennis great yet. Its the same old spiel from WC 2007 when people clamoured for Wilkinson to be Knighted.

He's won two grand slams now. He's a sir and no mistake. Wimbledon means a huge amount. It's been 77 years since a brit last won it.

Win a couple more and I would agree, but he's not deserving of it yet. He isn't a tennis great yet. Being the first person to win something in a long time might win you SPOTY but not a knighthood. Other lesser honours like a CBE would be more apt.

caesar

Banned
Win a couple more and I would agree, but he's not deserving of it yet. He isn't a tennis great yet. Being the first person to win something in a long time might win you SPOTY but not a knighthood. Other lesser honours like a CBE would be more apt.

I think he will get it after his career is over, makes more sense.

I'm happy for Murray and British sport, but Djokovic-Murray matches really are meh and need to stop happening ASAP.

Last game was super tense, totally thought Murray was going to choke.

Zutroy

So many people gathered in Edinburgh's Bristol square this evening. It was such a good atmosphere. So glad he won!

P.S I also bet on him to win but only got £12.50 back. Boooo.

Acorn

Olympic Gold doesn't mean much in tennis. It doesn't have the history behind it and it even gives less ranking points than winning a Masters tournament.

It was immensely important to him personally though, because he beat Federer after being demolished a month before.

I don't think he woulda won the US or this tournament without the confidence it gave him.

Ashes

Banned
Cycling yes but not golf. You underestimate its popularity.

Is it even a category A sport like Wimbledon and the world cup?

edit: nope, it isn't.

For those who do not know, In Britain, some sporting events have to be shown on free to air channels mandated by law.

Acorn

for those who do not know, some sporting events have to be shown on free to air channels mandated by law.

Golf was before iirc. And the list doesn't mean much nowadays its been picked apart by successive govts lobbied by Sky.

Bigfoot

It was immensely important to him personally though, because he beat Federer after being demolished a month before.

I don't think he woulda won the US or this tournament without the confidence it gave him.
Yes, it is still a great personal achievement, but I think winning Wimbledon >>>>> than winning an Olympic gold, even to Murray. I think he made some comments after winning the gold last year that even reflect that. Still, he's got both now so no worries.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Murray will get Knighted for sure, might be after retiring but it'll happen.

MIMIC

Banned

I'd say that this was more important than the title itself. He showed that he could beat Fed in a BO5 on grass....and that a WB title wouldn't be too far off.

kharma45

For those who do not know, In Britain, some sporting events have to be shown on free to air channels mandated by law.

Only the final is category A. The rest of the tournament is not. Even then I dong see how again that matters. Not as if cycling falls into those categories.

In British sport, with some exceptions, most sports are undivided concerning Britain. England/Scotland/Wales all mean the same thing in any Olympic sport.

Cricket, football and rugby are the notable exceptions to this rule.

Worth noting that Wales are incorporated into the ECB (English Cricket Board)

Ashes

Banned
Only the final is category A. The rest of the tournament is not. Even then I dong see how again that matters. Not as if cycling falls into those categories.

How do you fail to see how it undermines your point about putting golf above or on parity to Wimbledon? Even the government relegates golf.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I'd put things like formula one above golf even. Doesn't get a lot of participation, but viewing figures are probably higher in my opinion.

Heck, I'd put snooker above golf too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom