• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

I'm not exactly president of Cameron's fan club okay? I said he was being a bigger cunt in the box. Which he was.

He can't resist any opportunity to push his agenda. He was being a politician, Cameron was being a statesman. He didn't start waving a Union Jack around. I mean imagine the thought process behind bringing that Saltire in to wave, the aides and advisers involved with it. It stinks of political opportunism.

Fair enough.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hilarious Salmond is trying to piggyback on Murray's success to push independence.

Yeah a quarter English Scot who lives in London and is going out with an English girl, winning a tournament in England while being applauded by a largely English crowd. He's the person to push your rubbish nationalistic agenda that we're separate nations.

Shame the polls don't support you isnt it. Amazing he managed to be in a box with Cameron and be a bigger cunt.

A quarter English? Now that's a reach. He's Scottish. There's nothing wrong with that. He's also British. Nothing wrong with that. Trying to dilute how Scottish he is based on his girlfriend and the LOCATION OF WIMBELDON is hilarious though. Good luck.

In other news, Sean Connery is no longer Svottish because he has a house in Marbella. All the Juan Carlos Ramirez stuff took.

RedShift

A quarter English? Now that's a reach. He's Scottish. There's nothing wrong with that. He's also British. Nothing wrong with that. Trying to dilute how Scottish he is based on his girlfriend and the LOVATION OF WIMBELDON is hilarious though. Good luck.

In other news, Sean Connery is no longer Svottish because he has a house in Marbella. All the Juan Carlos Ramirez stuff took.
I thought he had an English grandparent but I might be wrong? All I was trying I say was he highlights the interdepence between Scotland and the rest of the UK, not that they're separate countries.

A quarter English? Now that's a reach. He's Scottish. There's nothing wrong with that. He's also British. Nothing wrong with that. Trying to dilute how Scottish he is based on his girlfriend and the LOCATION OF WIMBELDON is hilarious though. Good luck.

Well to be fair, it's actually a good counter to the rabid anti-English haters who appear on Facebook comments etc. who try and make out that Andy despises England and has no ties to it.

I agree though that he's Scottish AND British - but nothing wrong with that :]

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As a Welshman, I feel like I lack a competitor in this fight. :(

MIMIC

Banned
Were you angry at Djokovic's pushing after that point, yes or no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--IBsJA5wQ#t=02h27m30s

Djokovic-Murray matches are pushing horror shows. I already called it long before the match even began:

ew, Murray won

The final is going to SUCK. Murray brings Novak's level way down. Unless Novak is on from the word go, it's gonna be a very miserable final with two guys being afraid to HIT the ball.

Djokovic WILL push against Murray because you can't hit through him. It's the only way to beat him, these days. You have to almost beat him at his own game.

It's a sad sight.

Yea but Clay has also been Nadal's court. Not even Federer in his prime was a real match there, it can still be his "time" without winning there

Well, I was talking about the clay Masters, too. Murray has yet to make a clay final in any clay even.

Jopie

Hearing the crowd and announcers as he won have me goosebumps, and I'm not from England. It's just really cool to see someone win something that so many people care about.

Acorn

I thought he had an English grandparent but I might be wrong? All I was trying I say was he highlights the interdepence between Scotland and the rest of the UK, not that they're separate countries.

We are the complete opposite politically, on every question that matters. We'll eventually go independant if we aren't given full fiscal powers to run a system that reflects our society.

English Society is closer to America politically, we are closer to a northern european state. The current state of affairs is untenable. There won't be a govt relflects us at GB level ever again. The british left died with John Smith.

Djokovic-Murray matches are pushing horror shows. I already called it long before the match even began:

Djokovic WILL push against Murray because you can't hit through him. It's the only way to beat him, these days. You have to almost beat him at his own game.

It's a sad sight.

Well, I was talking about the clay Masters, too. Murray has yet to make a clay final in any clay even.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFXqFifRew

Tennis at its finest.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the best thing really is that djokovic did not get another slam. 6 is more than enough for a player of his caliber. 7 would be pushing it.

MiKeD

Banned
Well fuck. I probably dislike Murray the most around here which will have been obvious in a recent big discussion, so my sportsyear is fucked.

But Congratz to Murray. This was his chance with the easy draw that opened up for him, but he kept his concentration and finished it off. Well played.

FUCK.

faridmon

I really feel bad for Djokovich. Everyone seem to root for Murray just because he hasn't win a Wimbledon yet. How would you perform when you know the whole world is against you?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We are the complete opposite politically, on every question that matters. We'll eventually go independant if we aren't given full fiscal powers to run a system that reflects our society.

English Society is closer to America politically, we are closer to a northern european state. The current state of affairs is untenable. There won't be a govt relflects us at GB level ever again. The british left died with John Smith.

I never understood, this it's like Britain wanting to leave the EU, they gain far too much from being apart of the UK and in the grand scheme of things they aren't even giving that much (comparatively) for them to simply leave. It's case of nationalism over pragmatism, independence is no small matter.

Is it really worth potentially sacrificing country stability for it. Do you think free university education and all the over the stuff the average scot enjoys over the average British is cheap. Are you really going to but a lot of your eggs into the North Sea?

Anyway decent enough match though it's kind of sad it went in straight sets.

I really feel bad for Djokovich. Everyone seem to root for Murray just because he hasn't win a Wimbledon yet. How would you perform when you know the whole world is against you?

You'd perform like the skilled professional you are, and not cry like a girl at all the things the mean people are saying.

szaromir

Banned
Djokovic-Murray matches are pushing horror shows. I already called it long before the match even began
I asked you about that specific match and you tried to divert attention away from it lol. Murray and Djokovic are both supreme defenders, their opponents don't bother playing long points against them and try to hit through them. Djokovic wasn't anymore aggressive against Berdych than Murray was against Verdasco. When Murray and Djokovic meet, they try to work through the point rather than blast each other out of the court, which is expected because that's not the way they play en route to the final.

MIMIC

Banned

He has beaten Fed, Switzerland, Nadal in Spain, and Murray in London (world tour finals).

I don't think the crowd is that much of a factor for him

John Dunbar

correct about everything

never stopped nadal destroying french players at roland garros, or federer schooling hewitt in australia and roddick (and agassi) in america.

Acorn

I never understood, this it's like Britain wanting to leave the EU, they gain far too much from being apart of the UK and in the grand scheme of things they aren't even giving that much (comparatively) for them to simply leave. It's case of nationalism over pragmatism, independence is no small matter.

Is it really worth potentially sacrificing country stability for it. Do you think free university education and all the over the stuff the average scot enjoys over the average British is cheap. Are you really going to but a lot of your eggs into the North Sea?

Its pragmatism in having a chance at getting a society that reflects us politically. Rather than keeping the status quo of having zero chance of any social policies that reflect us.

Also, if you are inferring england pays for this as per usual, look up the gers reports from the last few years. We are balanced.

EDIT- And I would hope we wouldn't be relying on a dwindling resource when we have an abundance of untapped renewables whether we were independent or not.

MIMIC

Banned
I asked you about that specific match and you tried to divert attention away from it lol. Murray and Djokovic are both supreme defenders, their opponents don't bother playing long points against them and try to hit through them.

1) Your link didn't even work. Settle down.

2) YES, I was annoyed when Djokovic pushes against Murray. Isn't it obvious?

Djokovic wasn't anymore aggressive against Berdych than Murray was against Verdasco. When Murray and Djokovic meet, they try to work through the point rather than blast each other out of the court, which is expected because that's not the way they play en route to the final.

I didn't see the match, but everyone who did SO doesn't agree with your assessment.

szaromir

Banned
1) Your link didn't even work. Settle down.

2) YES, I was annoyed when Djokovic pushes against Murray. Isn't it obvious?
The link is fine, if you're getting a 500 error press F5, eventually it should load. Youtube is having some problems apparently.

Its pragmatism in having a chance at getting a society that reflects us politically. Rather than keeping the status quo of having zero chance of any social policies that reflect us.
The political parties in England don't reflect me either. In fact I live in a tory stronghold so my vote means nothing.

Acorn

The political parties in England don't reflect me either. In fact I live in a tory stronghold so my vote means nothing.

They don't reflect anyone that is on the left. But the UK consenus is right - far right so thats what you've got to deal with. We have a chance at an out, if we don't take this chance either through full fiscal independence or independence full stop then we have no right to moan about x policy imposed on us.

RulkezX

They don't reflect anyone that is on the left. But the UK consenus is right - far right so thats what you've got to deal with. We have a chance at an out, if we don't take this chance either through full fiscal independence or independence full stop then we have no right to moan about x policy imposed on us.

Stopped writing my reply after reading that. It's so far wrong it's laughable.

szaromir

Banned
Your link does not go to a specific point in the match. It starts at the beginning. You tagged it wrong.
Weird, the time mark loads up properly in Firefox but doesn't in Chrome. You could jump there manually if you wanted though (2:27:30) it's the match point (which was an accurate representation of the entire match really).

As a Welshman, I feel like I lack a competitor in this fight. :(

And us poor celts in Cornwall sadly get sold up the river stuck under that English Tory rule from here in in. Sad times.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm British. Used to love Tennis but haven't watched Wimbledon in about 5 years. Having not followed this years Wimbledon at all, I have only just found out that Andy Murray won this year?
WTF what happened to Federrer or Nadal? They used to be the shit!

I am so fucking high when I heard this news and it is absolutely blowing my mind. Like seriously, I am fucked baked right now and this news is seriously blowing my mind.

Jesus.

caesar

Banned
Why are people acting as if a shit Djokovic suddenly appeared today?

"He has been s*** all his life. Two lucky shots against Roger at US Open and all of a sudden he is a world beater? You lose one to Murray, it was luck. The second time, it is automatic retirement. I hope ATP enforces that rule. Go home Nole and take Murray with you."

tennisforums.com ladies and gents

MIMIC

Banned
works for me. goes to the last point. djokovic pushing another win out of federer, nothing new there.

Oh. I didn't notice that it was against Federer. I just saw it started from the beginning and just closed it.

Djokovic pushed. So what? Federer pushed against Djokovic in the 2011 Australian Open (tried to change his tactics).

Does that make them "pushers"? This whole "here are a few matches that prove my point" is not really working. Murray built his entire career off of pushing. Djokovic didn't.

And just out of curiosity, I tried something in Google. I typed "Andy Murray push" and a whole list of pushing-related results pop up (using that Google predictor thingy). When you type in "Novak Djokovic push", all you get is a result about him doing push ups.

Seriously, this whole Djokovic is a pusher thing is nonexistent. People who don't like him will call him a pusher, even though to the actual tennis world, it isn't true.

Baleoce

I knew he could do it, and I honestly thought he would this year. But the part I'm trying to get over is that he did it in straight sets. It's not like he always had the advantage either, he came back plenty of times after being broke, and his 2nd serve win % was awful. Yet he just kept putting in the shots and being stubborn (in a good way). That last game felt about an hour long in itself xD

Also, some of those rallies in that match were the best I've seen.

Hawkie

Trashing the Aussies in their own back yard, a Froome massacre on the continent, Murray going big at Wimbledon AND the sun shining. Sport doesn't get much better.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Also, if you are inferring england pays for this as per usual, look up the gers reports from the last few years. We are balanced.

EDIT- And I would hope we wouldn't be relying on a dwindling resource when we have an abundance of untapped renewables whether we were independent or not.

I didn't say England pays more I'm saying, even in the fact they paying even that's still half of your economic flow being removed from you and should you fail in these economic times your country may end up needing a bail out likely the same both ways.

Also plenty of concessions were in fact made for Scotland's current position by the labour party for your country to remain regardless of your output you are no island. It's seems short sighted and foolish for your country to want independence now. Even if you unanimously want independence it makes more sense to do so when the world's economy is far more to stable as a safety net in case things go badly.

If your independent govern does well then great if it does badly your going to be feeling the economic pain for a very long time.

Anyway next few grand slams should be very interesting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm cornish, we could try to master a half hearted rivalry based on who's the most truly british of the two truly british people's or something?

Damn right. Wales > Cornwall, any day of the week. We're a principality, you're just a duchy. Yeah!

... man, how do the English and Scots do it?

John Dunbar

correct about everything

"He has been s*** all his life. Two lucky shots against Roger at US Open and all of a sudden he is a world beater? You lose one to Murray, it was luck. The second time, it is automatic retirement. I hope ATP enforces that rule. Go home Nole and take Murray with you."

he's always been shit on grass, though. his wimbledon was the fluke of all flukes. it's not a coincidence the player he beat in the final could not get past the second round for the next two years.

Damn right. Wales > Cornwall, any day of the week. We're a principality, you're just a duchy. Yeah!

... man, how do the English and Scots do it?

That you are, can't argue with that.

And your name is Saxon for stranger and ours western stranger.. So you beat us on .. Strangerness too?

Go Wales. Kernow < Cymru

Yeah I'm not really sure how they do.

Showaddy

How the hell can people get so upset about a sports result, especially one that they apparently have no stake in?

I mean I can understand throwing a bitch fit in a moment of passion when someone you support loses but that poster seems to hate both Murray & Djokovic...

Oh dear.

Why is that forum so....odd?

caesar

Banned
1015828_544219365636691_1296611629_o.jpg

lel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom