• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Got both Vita games during the EU PSN Sale. I've only played Totori so far, just reached Cobalt rank after the license extension.
Really enjoyable game, but when I look at some guides, I get kind of intimidated by most of the ending requirements. Seems like a lot to keep track of.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Totori Sterk is best Sterk.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Nakama! :D

Got both Vita games during the EU PSN Sale. I've only played Totori so far, just reached Cobalt rank after the license extension.
Really enjoyable game, but when I look at some guides, I get kind of intimidated by most of the ending requirements. Seems like a lot to keep track of.

It's definitely hard if you're trying to trigger everything in one playthrough. I find the games are generally designed to be replayed, which is why most first runs can be done around 20-30 hours instead of 60+ like many other RPGs try to do.

Rarutos

That's why I usually suggest waiting until NG+ to try to get all the endings because it'd just be so un-fun to follow a guide in the first playthrough. At least, in my opinion.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm playing my first playthrough blind. Then I'll look into the ending stuff more.

Also there's no way to separate multiple-use items, right? It stings when I have to submit some stronger items that have multiple uses that goes to waste.

Rarutos

Yeah, I'm playing my first playthrough blind. Then I'll look into the ending stuff more.

Also there's no way to separate multiple-use items, right? It stings when I have to submit some stronger items that have multiple uses that goes to waste.

Nope, it's counted as one item. You should be thankful because Rorona didn't even have multiple use items. :)

...At least if I'm remembering correctly.

RurouniZel

Nope, it's counted as one item. You should be thankful because Rorona didn't even have multiple use items. :)

...At least if I'm remembering correctly.

I think healing salves could be used more than once, but bombs and the like could not.

Vylash

Oh, Rorona...

jnOeQf7wM1FlU.jpg

Shengar

Community thread at last! Nice work!
Curreny playing Totori+ and hit Gold in Sevond Year July, is that good enough? Also how do you trigger Rorona event?

RurouniZel

Community thread at last! Nice work!
Curreny playing Totori+ and hit Gold in Sevond Year July, is that good enough? Also how do you trigger Rorona event?

I think most of her events are toward the later years. IIRC you want to have your alchemy level higher than your adventurer level because Rorona will ask Totori in a scene which she prefers. If your adventurer level is higher Totori will say she likes Adventuring more and Rorona is saddened. XD

Rarutos

IIRC I think the hardest thing about Totori was that until you get the Warp Gate, it was difficult to figure out when to be at Alanya or Arland for events.

_Slay

Just finished getting a platinum on Escha minutes ago. I did not expect the final, final, FINAL boss to be so tough it took me hours until I understood how the battle worked and got the proper equipment.

I really enjoyed Logy but it was kinda lame how similar playing as either character was since they were always together. There were a lot of minor problems with the game that really dragged my enjoyment down and I hope the next installment isn't so sloppy (the localization too). I do feel that Ayesha was more enjoyable for me overall.

zoku88

Just finished doing just about everything in Meruru Plus. What great fun it was (and latter traits are totally broken. Especially with Gio., lol). I was able to do every boss with Meruru/ Totori and Mimi except for the final mutated boss. I was only able to do enough damage on her in "one" turn with Gio.

I hope the New Rorona comes out here. I have a copy of Rorona I got from a friend for like 5 bucks, but I'd rather play the new version...

Christhor

Also man am I seriously the only one who hated Ayesha?

Ayesha was so great, man. It started out pretty slow, but by the end of it the atmosphere and overall story is just great. Particularly because of Keith, all he did was world building and it worked out perfectly. I still haven't beaten Escha & Logy yet (just started assignment 7), but so far I think Ayesha is still my favourite in the series.

I'm looking forward to the next Dusk game. It would be super interesting to potentially see a showdown between
Ayesha/Keith and Escha/Logy
considering they are on different sides of the law. Hope to get some good pay off there. Then again, if Meruru is anything to go by, Gust ain't that great at payoff. Looking at you
Rorona forever 14 ending

zoku88

^ Meruru Plus had a new ending

Where you make the True Potion of Youth and Rorona returns as a 3X year old and all of the pupils are together. It was pretty sweet. Even had new music.

Totori's true ending was also pretty good.

EDIT: Oh, you mean payoff as in ending of the trilogy and not just ending of the game... I guess the Totori example doesn't count..

Eusis

I definitely like Ayesha's setting the most, it feels like one of the closer things to Dying Earth that I've seen in a JRPG. I guess technically it's a post-apocalyptic setting, but it feels less like a world that was ravaged by disaster and more like one that's simply old and about to die out and has already seen its greatest heights, but in the meantime IS perfectly habitable with a functioning civilization. Granted it's a lot more cheery than something like the Dying Earth series proper or the Book of the New Sun, and the director was inspired by Fallout more than anything else it seemed, but still.

Christhor

^ Meruru Plus had a new ending

Where you make the True Potion of Youth and Rorona returns as a 3X year old and all of the pupils are together. It was pretty sweet. Even had new music.

Totori's true ending was also pretty good.

EDIT: Oh, you mean payoff as in ending of the trilogy and not just ending of the game... I guess the Totori example doesn't count..

The new ending was pretty good, I agree. But it still says something when they had to patch in a new ending, which they did with Meruru PS3 in Japan, because the fans were so pissed because of the ending.

Gust games tend to have good self-cotained payoffs for their games. The true ends to Totori, Meruru and Ayesha were all satisfying, it will be interesting to see what they do with A16.

zoku88

The new ending was pretty good, I agree. But it still says something when they had to patch in a new ending, which they did with Meruru PS3 in Japan, because the fans were so pissed because of the ending.

Gust games tend to have good self-cotained payoffs for their games. The true ends to Totori, Meruru and Ayesha were all satisfying, it will be interesting to see what they do with A16.

Oh, they actually patched the PS3 one? I didn't know it. That's pretty funny.

But yea, I didn't really like the old ending (or the Miss Popular one, really.)

Eusis

Only in Japan, sadly. :(
That's kind of the annoying thing with Japanese games that aren't AAA material (although thanks to being multiplat outside of Japan Dark Souls had some annoying delays due to XBL certification), sometimes there'll be patches there that never come out here. On the flip side, games get fully patched versions here because it takes awhile to come out or whatever, as happened with Demon's Souls!

Still, waiting on Ys patch. Though that was mainly for Vita TV so who knows what'll happen there.

Wow, that's the first time I've heard that, I pretty much hate everything about Ayesha except for Marietta

I'm also on Team Ayesha. About the only thing I thought was at all sub-par about the game was Ayesha herself--she's a bit of a dud as far as protagonists go, especially since Escha kind of feels like Ayesha 2.0. The changes they made to the alchemy system were great and its characters were pretty likeable versus, say, (Meruru spoilers)
baby Rorona ugh
. It's too bad Wilbell happens to be one of the better characters in Escha & Logy as well, though--none of the other characters really feel that great. Meruru sort of suffered from the same problem, but that had two games' worth of characters to contend with.

Side question: I've seen the GAF thread where someone asks to be sold on the Atelier Iris series, but it's from the perspective of someone who's never played any of those games. What about if you're someone who started from Rorona? Reading up on Iris, those games sound a bit generic in execution and story, which makes me skeptical. Removing or downplaying the alchemy is not exactly a selling point, so I'm wondering if they're worth my time. (Same question for Mana Khemia.)

Also:

Is this true?
True Potion of Youth restoring Rorona to a thirty-something
was actually requested by the Japanese fans? I really hope so, because I was super down on those Gust producer comments about how they made the original change for Meruru because
"our fans totally don't want to see an OLD Rorona, they would rather have a super-cute infantile one!"

zoku88

That's kind of the annoying thing with Japanese games that aren't AAA material (although thanks to being multiplat outside of Japan Dark Souls had some annoying delays due to XBL certification), sometimes there'll be patches there that never come out here. On the flip side, games get fully patched versions here because it takes awhile to come out or whatever, as happened with Demon's Souls!

Still, waiting on Ys patch. Though that was mainly for Vita TV so who knows what'll happen there.
Yea, it's always nice when we get improved or fully patched versions of games because we get them later (like, getting the orchestral score for DQVIII)

I'll probably wait on the Vita version of the Dusk series before getting them. Partially to get all updated content and balance, but mainly because I get so obsessed with these games that I really want to play them no matter where I am :) *

* I should probably try not to do so when I'm walking, though. I used to be really bad about that.

Ventara

Grab Totori and Meruru on the Vita, both good games (though Meruru is far better)

I'm sorry, but your opinion is wrong.

Nah, I'm just kidding, but I do like Totori more, and almost everyone I know who've played both games have said the same.

Totori's main issue was that it lacked direction

I actually liked this aspect. It allowed you more freedom to do what you want. I guess this might be the reason for the differing opinions.

I uh...kinda liked Totori's normal end more than the true end

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, the only main difference between the normal ending and the true ending was
that Gisella came back alive
. If so, then you are an evil person. I was doing fist pumps at the true ending. How can you prefer the normal ending?

Man,looks like I really am alone in my Ayesha hate

What, too much freedom and awesome endings for you?
Again, just yanking your chain. I haven't played Ayesha yet, though I've read that the story is kinda bleak.

zoku88

I'm sorry, but your opinion is wrong.

Nah, I'm just kidding, but I do like Totori more, and almost everyone I know who've played both games have said the same.

I've played tons more of Meruru than Totori and I think I agree with this. I think the new characters in Meruru weren't as strong (I liked Meruru, but not anyone else. Besides maybe Hanna.)

I liked the development aspect of Meruru though.

Vylash

I actually liked this aspect. It allowed you more freedom to do what you want. I guess this might be the reason for the differing opinions.

It just felt like it was lacking structure, the game starts and it's just "here's a list of things to do, here's how much time you have, good luck" while Meruru had one overall goal and smaller tasks to keep you focused, but they weren't super restraining like in Rorona, I thought it struck the perfect balance

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, the only main difference between the normal ending and the true ending was
that Gisella came back alive
. If so, then you are an evil person. I was doing fist pumps at the true ending. How can you prefer the normal ending?

I think it just works better for Totori as a character if her mother dies. her fully realizing the dangers of the world and still being brave enough to continue facing them and move forward just sits better with me than "lol Astrid" but I can certainly see how I'm in the minority here
What, too much freedom and awesome endings for you?
Again, just yanking your chain. I haven't played Ayesha yet, though I've read that the story is kinda bleak.

THERE'S NO PAMELA

j3S8YyjFq5C6t.jpg

Ventara

It just felt like it was lacking structure, the game starts and it's just "here's a list of things to do, here's how much time you have, good luck" while Meruru had one overall goal and smaller tasks to keep you focused, but they weren't super restraining like in Rorona, I thought it struck the perfect balance

I think it just works better for Totori as a character if her mother dies. her fully realizing the dangers of the world and still being brave enough to continue facing them and move forward just sits better with me than "lol Astrid" but I can certainly see how I'm in the minority here

I can understand that. I've read some similar thoughts on Totori from others. I guess it's just a matter of preference in that regard.

As for the true/normal ending,
I get what you're saying, but I feel she did learn about the dangers of the world and was brave enough to confront her mother's supposed "killer," and still continue on with her life. Gisella coming back at the end was just a completely happy bonus at the end and was a perfect reward for all Totori went through, as well as me getting my platinum. I feel she had already grown her character to be the adventurer she is before Gisella coming back, and her arrival didn't take any of what Totori learned over the years away.

THERE'S NO PAMELA

j3S8YyjFq5C6t.jpg

Hold the phone. You're sure she's not in some secret true ending/hiding in a barrel/closet?

I was very disappointed by it so I haven't played it beyond the first year. The normal quests being spread around the towns instead of being centralised at a desk was a major thing that put me off it. But I want to give it another shot.

Rarutos

Hold the phone. You're sure she's not in some secret true ending/hiding in a barrel/closet?

There are no Puni in the Dusk world. There aren't any Unis either. Or ghost girls, or Hagels. The Dusk world kind of took away some of the recurring themes, I think mostly because of the overall different atmosphere.

Oh, Pamela's teddy bear does make a cameo in the background in Escha & Logy though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Loved Atelier Iris. Really liked Atelier Iris 2.

Didn't so much like Atelier Iris 3, and I thought Mana Khemia was... ok. I stopped playing after MK. I have some friends who are obsessed with the PS3 games, though. As someone who is more into the story driven, traditional JRPG aspects from AI1 and AI2, would the later games appeal to me?

Eusis

Atelier Iris was fun but I didn't like it enough to want the following Iris games. Rorona going back to that formula of alchemy first and foremost got my attention again, though I have yet to play through any of the Arland games to the end (and even Rorona doesn't really sound like it's worth doing that for in its original state.) Ayesha got my interest with some of the fanservicey aspects culled/minimized and with a more interesting world.

Jucksalbe

Banned
As someone who is more into the story driven, traditional JRPG aspects from AI1 and AI2, would the later games appeal to me?

Probably not. There's a much bigger focus on alchemy and time management.
Have you played the Ar Tonelico games? They might be more up your alley.

Coxy

I think it just works better for Totori as a character if her mother dies. her fully realizing the dangers of the world and still being brave enough to continue facing them and move forward just sits better with me than "lol Astrid" but I can certainly see how I'm in the minority here[/SPOILER]

I think it worked perfectly because to actually get that ending
You're still going to have to go through all the heartbreaking scenes where she's told she died, is comforted by Ceci but resolves herself to become a greater adventurer and defeat the demon to save others. Not one bit of that changes.

I'd totally play a game about Gisela

Arthea

Reporting for duty!
I would like all my games to have alchemy Atelier style, total alchemy addict, like all alchemy systems I encountered in Atelier games so far.
Adore Mana Khemia games, these are in my top 20 games of all times. So want more of them.
I've played all Atelier games that have translations, and would play the rest if ever translated, was following several fan translation project, but these never came to fruition.
As I said my favourites are Mana Khemia games, Eternal Mana and Atelier Meruru of recent ones. Also platinumed all Atelier games, what I rarely do, I just can't stop playing them when I start.

long live alchemy!
barrel forever!

you are not, it is worst Atelier game, I still liked alchemy, but dislike everything else.

Atolm

I finished both Totori and Meruru, and I just started Ayesha, but I can already tell you that I like Ayesha's tone and setting much more. The OST is god-tier as well.

I guess Ayesha is pretty dividing. From where I stand, it has the best music, combat, plot, and setting of the PS3 Atelier games (except Escha & Logy which I haven't played enough yet to judge). I really liked the characters too, though I'm not sure where I'd rank them.

Arthea

I guess Ayesha is pretty dividing. From where I stand, it has the best music, combat, plot, and setting of the PS3 Atelier games (except Escha & Logy which I haven't played enough yet to judge). I really liked the characters too, though I'm not sure where I'd rank them.

I usually like at least one or two characters in Atelier games, don't care much about plot, as I play them for alchemy mostly. Ayesha is first Atelier game where I actively dislike: plot, almost all characters and basically everything about it, except alchemy, it's still good and combat is OK too.

OceanBlue

I guess it isn't too surprising when the other games being compared to are all building on each other while Ayesha was somewhat of a reboot.

I personally am kinda ambivalent towards Ayesha. It had a lot of good ideas (synthesis skills!) and there were some outstanding pieces of music such as Recollection Hill, but the world concept kinda lent itself to homogenous, colorless environments and the skills and traits weren't powerful enough for me. Ayesha was still an enjoyable game for me, especially considering that I'm mentally comparing it to Meruru (the third Arland game vs. the first Dusk game) and Eschatology (the sequel).

I'd consider them even if I wasn't bothered by some things in Meruru's plot so much! Meruru was great, but had too many returning characters that I felt like it wasn't even really Meruru's story by the end. :(

I also didn't like Sterk's new design much at all, he got too pretty.

But Sterk has the coolest special in the game!

Top Bottom